You Won't Believe What This Aussie Man Found on a Casual Bushwalk – It's Like Hitting the Jackpot!

Embarking on a bushwalk through the rugged landscapes of Australia can often be its own reward, with the country's natural beauty offering endless vistas and the chance to encounter unique wildlife. But for one Aussie adventurer, a casual stroll through the bush turned into a moment of serendary akin to striking gold.

Flynn Kleis, a New South Wales native who has been traversing the Australian outback in his trusty 4WD, recently experienced a once-in-a-lifetime discovery while on a bushwalk in Denmark, Western Australia. Amidst the dense foliage and the calls of the wild, Kleis stumbled upon a vibrantly coloured feather that once adorned a red-tailed black cockatoo, a species that is not only vulnerable but also deeply revered.

The red-tailed black cockatoo, with its striking plumage and majestic presence, holds a special place in the hearts of Australians, particularly among Indigenous communities where the bird is a symbol of strength and resilience. For Kleis, the discovery was the culmination of a lifelong dream, one that was inspired by his mother's own collection of feathers and a deep-seated appreciation for the natural world.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 10.39.30 AM.jpeg
Kleis was excited about his new find. Credit: @flynn__xavier / Instagram

The excitement of finding such a rare and culturally significant artifact was palpable as Kleis recounted his tale. After waking to the haunting calls of black cockatoos one morning, he set out with the hope of finding a feather, a token of good luck. Hours passed, and with them, his optimism began to wane. It was only when he had resigned himself to disappointment and started his return to camp that he spotted the unmistakable red glow beneath a jarrah tree. There it was, a beautiful female red-tailed black cockatoo feather, a beacon of hope and a testament to perseverance.

Upon sharing his find on social media, Kleis was met with a wave of admiration and a touch of envy from fellow Aussies. Comments poured in, congratulating him on his 'lucky' find and likening it to 'striking gold.' The feather, now proudly displayed in the band of his Akubra hat, has become a cherished talisman, accompanying him on his daily adventures and, as he believes, bringing him good fortune.

The significance of the red-tailed black cockatoo extends beyond personal achievement. These birds are a vulnerable species, facing threats from habitat loss, deforestation, and competition for resources. The Australian Conservation Foundation highlights the importance of conservation efforts to protect these magnificent creatures and their habitats. The feathers, while beautiful, are more than mere ornaments; they are used in traditional ceremonies and are a reminder of the deep connection between the land, its creatures, and the Indigenous peoples of Australia.

As members of the Seniors Discount Club, many of us have had our own memorable encounters with Australia's wildlife. Whether it's the sighting of a rare bird, the discovery of an unusual plant, or the simple joy of a peaceful walkabout, these moments connect us to the land and to each other.

We invite you to share your own stories of serendipitous finds or encounters with Australia's natural wonders. Have you ever come across something on a bushwalk that felt like hitting the jackpot? Let's celebrate the beauty of our country and the surprises it holds for those who venture into its wild heart.

Key Takeaways
  • Flynn Kleis, while travelling around Australia, made a rare discovery of a vibrant red-tailed black cockatoo feather during a bush walk in Denmark, WA.
  • The find was considered very lucky and has cultural significance, with the red-tailed black cockatoo being a vulnerable species and symbolic in Indigenous Australian culture.
  • Aussies have expressed their envy and congratulated Kleis on his notable find via social media, where he shared a video of his discovery.
  • The feather now has a special place in Kleis's Akubra hat, which he believes brings him good luck, highlighting the personal and cultural value of the feather.

And remember, if you're inspired to go feather hunting or wildlife spotting, always do so with respect for the environment and the creatures that call it home. Conservation and appreciation go hand in hand, ensuring that future generations can also experience the joy of such lucky discoveries.

Sponsored
I decided to go for a walk in paddock just a mile or 2 out from Goulburn, (NSW). Came across a damned snake of some description. Had a black body with yellow markings. It sat up like a cobra & hissed its dislike to me. So in wisdom, I gave it a wide berth.

I decided to go for a walk in paddock just a mile or 2 out from Goulburn, (NSW). Came across a damned snake of some description. Had a black body with yellow markings. It sat up like a cobra & hissed its dislike to me. So in wisdom, I gave it a wide berth.
Yellow bellied black snake, not as deadly as the red but still venomous.

The feather now has a special place in Kleis's Akubra hat, which he believes brings him good luck, highlighting the personal and cultural value of the feather. Be careful some halfchat Indigenous doesn't try to do you for misappropriation.

Reactions: Rob44
When I was a little kid, I came across some amazing little round rocks on the trail in the bush.
I picked up a bunch of them, put them in a jar and showed off to the family about my amazing find.
Turned out it was rabbit poo. Nobody congratulated me for identifying an animal by poo.

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM and Ezzy
During summer this year we have had two & even three swarms of bees hanging off trees in the back yard. Sometimes up to two have stayed for two days before moving on. The fourth swarm decided to stop on the rose bush near the front door overnight. Our neighbour, who has bees, said they were just resting before moving on.

Reactions: MariaG
During summer this year we have had two & even three swarms of bees hanging off trees in the back yard. Sometimes up to two have stayed for two days before moving on. The fourth swarm decided to stop on the rose bush near the front door overnight. Our neighbour, who has bees, said they were just resting before moving on.
Good news!

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8