You Won't Believe What Happened When This 'Dead' Woman Woke Up at Her Own Funeral!

In a turn of events that sounds like it's straight out of a movie, a 74-year-old woman who was declared dead at a US nursing home gave funeral home employees the shock of their lives when she was found to be very much alive two hours later. This extraordinary story unfolded in Nebraska, where the woman, identified as Constance Glantz, was receiving end-of-life care at a local nursing home.

The tale began when Ms. Glantz was pronounced dead at approximately 9:44 am, with preparations underway for a doctor to sign her death certificate. However, it's not clear if the certificate was ever officially signed. Following the declaration, her body was transported to a Lincoln funeral home. It was there, at around 11:43 am, that attentive funeral home employees made a startling discovery while preparing to embalm her: Constance Glantz was still breathing.

The employees acted swiftly, calling 911 to report the unbelievable situation. Ms. Glantz was promptly taken to a hospital, where she remained under medical care. Details about her condition following this harrowing experience were not made available, but the fact that she was alive was nothing short of miraculous.

compressed-pexels-funeral.jpeg
Authorities were puzzled with Constance Glantz's case, stating it as an unusual case. Image Credit: Pexels/Pavel Danilyuk

Lancaster County Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Ben Houchin, with over three decades of experience, expressed his astonishment at a news conference, stating, 'This is a very unusual case. I’ve been doing this 31 years, and nothing like this has ever gotten to this point before.'

The incident has sparked an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the premature declaration of death. While the investigation is ongoing, Deputy Houchin mentioned that there were no indications of malice from the nursing home's side. 'At this point, we have not been able to find any criminal intent by the nursing home, but the investigation is ongoing,' he said.

This bizarre event raises many questions about the protocols in place for declaring someone deceased. It also highlights the importance of thorough checks and balances in the healthcare and funeral service industries to prevent such shocking scenarios from occurring.

For our readers at the Seniors Discount Club, this story is a reminder of the fragility of life and the importance of vigilance in care settings. It's also a testament to the resilience of the human body and spirit. While Ms. Glantz's awakening is an extreme example, it underscores the need for clear communication and careful procedures when dealing with end-of-life care.

Key Takeaways

• A 74-year-old woman was wrongly declared dead at a Lincoln-area nursing home and found to be alive hours later at a funeral home.
  • Funeral home employees discovered the woman's breathing when they were preparing to commence their procedures, which led to them calling 911.
  • The woman was taken to a hospital where she remained alive, though her condition was not disclosed.
  • An investigation is ongoing, but so far no criminal intent has been found on the part of the nursing home.
We invite you to share your thoughts on this astonishing story. Have you or someone you know ever experienced a close call or a miraculous recovery? What do you think can be done to ensure such an oversight doesn't happen again? Join the conversation below and let us know your views.

Sponsored
Happy the lady is alive!
this isn't the first time. I remember it happening when I was about 8 years old and watching a funeral coming in the gate at the cemetery the other side of our back fence. Next thing people were screaming and yelling because it happened that the lady in the coffin didn't want to be there and started knocking on the lid. Brother and I got into trouble from Mum for laughing.

During my many years as a nurse, I had one experience similar to this. I was nursing in a small general hospital where we had four female and four male respite beds. One of the ladies who came in three or four times a year was Emily.

Emily loved her cups of tea and never refused one with meals, early morning tea, morning and afternoon tea and supper. I had a soft spot for her and would often bring her cups of tea during the night if she couldn't sleep when I was on night duty. One night I said to her, 'Emily, I really believe you'll be calling for cups of tea from the grave.'

Eventually, Emily was admitted in a terminal state. Several days after her admission, I came on duty on mornings to be told Emily had died during the night. I went down to the four bed room to check on the other three ladies, just as the maid was giving out early morning tea. Our morgue only had room for one body and another patient had died earlier in the night. That meant Emily was still in the room with curtains around her bed. I said hullo to the ladies and made sure they were okay and understood that Emily would be taken out as soon as the funeral director arrived.

I settled them with their cups of tea and was walking out the door when I heard the unmistakable voice of Emily: 'Cup of tea please, milk, no sugar!' I went behind the curtain and there she was, sitting bolt upright, very indignant that nobody had asked her if she wanted something to drink. I never did discover how the night staff managed to make such an awful mistake.

During my many years as a nurse, I had one experience similar to this. I was nursing in a small general hospital where we had four female and four male respite beds. One of the ladies who came in three or four times a year was Emily.

Emily loved her cups of tea and never refused one with meals, early morning tea, morning and afternoon tea and supper. I had a soft spot for her and would often bring her cups of tea during the night if she couldn't sleep when I was on night duty. One night I said to her, 'Emily, I really believe you'll be calling for cups of tea from the grave.'

Eventually, Emily was admitted in a terminal state. Several days after her admission, I came on duty on mornings to be told Emily had died during the night. I went down to the four bed room to check on the other three ladies, just as the maid was giving out early morning tea. Our morgue only had room for one body and another patient had died earlier in the night. That meant Emily was still in the room with curtains around her bed. I said hullo to the ladies and made sure they were okay and understood that Emily would be taken out as soon as the funeral director arrived.

I settled them with their cups of tea and was walking out the door when I heard the unmistakable voice of Emily: 'Cup of tea please, milk, no sugar!' I went behind the curtain and there she was, sitting bolt upright, very indignant that nobody had asked her if she wanted something to drink. I never did discover how the night staff managed to make such an awful mistake.
😮 That’s awful now that would have given me the spine tingling shivers.🙀

There must be protocols in place, when a person passes away to be 1000% certain the person is deceased. It's not the first time l have read about this happening. How absolutely devastating for the ladies family. What a dreadful shock for the funeral assistant thank heavens the person did not start the embarking process.
I recently was told by my brother in law who was involved in an horrific car accident a year ago next week, was told by the paramedic who attended the scene. You were unresponsive we brought you back. None of the hospital staff told us that and forgot to mention a few other major injuries.
It was only by luck my brother in law was approached by a man who said it's good to see you. My brother in law had no idea who this man was. He explained he was the paramedic. It came as a huge shock to us all to hear he had started to leave us, but thanks to the wonderful angels paramedics he is still with us.
Sadly he still has a long road ahead.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I remember a baby that was born was declared stillborn, the Mother was holding him/her and she started moving a lot more than an hour later. Earlier she had refused to let the staff take the baby from her & her husband. ( Initially the staff had told them that the initial movements were muscles and nerves shutting down). When the baby started trying to open her/his eyes, move arms and they noticed her chest moving they pushed the Mother's bell and the Dad walked out into the hallway and called out the staff who got a big shock. They rushed the baby to NICU to give a thorough checkup and put in a special crib.

I remember a baby that was born was declared stillborn, the Mother was holding him/her and she started moving a lot more than an hour later. Earlier she had refused to let the staff take the baby from her & her husband. ( Initially the staff had told them that the initial movements were muscles and nerves shutting down). When the baby started trying to open her/his eyes, move arms and they noticed her chest moving they pushed the Mother's bell and the Dad walked out into the hallway and called out the staff who got a big shock. They rushed the baby to NICU to give a thorough checkup and put in a special crib.
Oh my goodness what a blessing.
Kind regards Vicki

Reactions: Littleboy8
My mother always said. Please put a mirror to my mouth if you think I am dead. Apparently she knew someone that was declared alive that way after they were about to pronounce them dead

Reactions: Littleboy8