You won't believe this: The stunning way cashew nuts grow has shocked young Australians

It’s a snack item many of us love to indulge in, but it turns out a huge number of young Australians were completely oblivious to this one key detail: how cashew nuts are made.

The truth was recently revealed by a Gold Coast man named Jackson Jansen, who was amazed to learn that the popular 'nut' – which is actually a seed – grows on the outside of a specific apple variety.

shutterstock_98601344.jpg
They are quite a sight to behold! Image source: Shutterstock.

After discovering this fact, Jansen then took to social media to share a video expressing his surprise. It was accompanied by images of the common snack item growing on the outside of cashew apples.

'What the f*** is that?' Jansen said in the video. 'You’re telling me this grows in a tree, pushes out this nut, and it makes cashews? This is not real... I feel like I’ve been lied to my whole life.'

The video soon went viral, not only receiving countless reactions from viewers who were 'freaking out' about the information but also from those who found it incredibly hard to believe that there were people out there who didn’t know such simple facts.

‘I don’t know where I thought cashews come from, but it’s not that,’ one declared.

‘I can’t believe I made it to 23 without knowing,’ another confessed.

‘I think it’s so crazy bizarre that people don’t know all this,’ another scoffed.

According to Healthline, Cashew nuts are cased in a shell that contains a toxic oil that is harmful to humans. As a result, the healthy snack is roasted at high heat, either by steaming them in a large rotating drum or vat of boiling oil to remove urushiol remnants before they can be shelled, thoroughly dried, and peeled.

The ‘raw’ cashew nut varieties that you can purchase in-store are labelled as such, as they are free from added flavourings.

Interestingly, this isn't the first time the internet has gone wild for this amazing fact about how cashews make their way to our plates, with a photo of the fruit complete with a protruding cashew first going viral back in 2019.

The stunning detail about the fruit has renewed an old debate over whether cashews are a nut, a seed or a fruit while also offering a little insight into why the tasty little treats tend to be on the pricier side. In order to be safe for consumption, a lot of labour is involved, such as boiling or steaming the cashew shell in order to remove toxins, before the cashew can be shelled, dried and peeled.

Key Takeaways
  • Many Australians are shocked to learn that cashew nuts are actually seeds that grow on the outside of a specific apple variety.
  • A Gold Coast man, Jackson Jansen, shared a video detailing his surprise, resulting in a wide reaction of disbelief on social media platforms.
  • The fact that cashews are technically seeds was met with intrigue and reignited debate on social media about whether it is a fruit, a seed, or a nut.

So if you didn’t know, now you know where cashews come from and why they’re so expensive in the supermarket! If nothing else, you can use this newfound knowledge to impress your friends and family next time you get together for a cuppa and a few cashews. 😉 Did you already know about this fact? Tell us in the comments below!

Sponsored
It’s a snack item many of us love to indulge in, but it turns out a huge number of young Australians were completely oblivious to this one key detail: how cashew nuts are made.

The truth was recently revealed by a Gold Coast man named Jackson Jansen, who was amazed to learn that the popular 'nut' – which is actually a seed – grows on the outside of a specific apple variety.

View attachment 28600

After discovering this fact, Jansen then took to social media to share a video expressing his surprise. It was accompanied by images of the common snack item growing on the outside of cashew apples.

'What the f*** is that?' Jansen said in the video. 'You’re telling me this grows in a tree, pushes out this nut, and it makes cashews? This is not real... I feel like I’ve been lied to my whole life.'

The video soon went viral, not only receiving countless reactions from viewers who were 'freaking out' about the information but also from those who found it incredibly hard to believe that there were people out there who didn’t know such simple facts.

‘I don’t know where I thought cashews come from, but it’s not that,’ one declared.

‘I think it’s so crazy bizarre that people don’t know all this,’ another scoffed.

According to Healthline, Cashew nuts are cased in a shell that contains a toxic oil that is harmful to humans. As a result, the healthy snack is roasted at high heat, either by steaming them in a large rotating drum or vat of boiling oil to remove urushiol remnants before they can be shelled, thoroughly dried, and peeled.

The ‘raw’ cashew nut varieties that you can purchase in-store are labelled as such, as they are free from added flavourings.

Interestingly, this isn't the first time the internet has gone wild for this amazing fact about how cashews make their way to our plates, with a photo of the fruit complete with a protruding cashew first going viral back in 2019.

The stunning detail about the fruit has renewed an old debate over whether cashews are a nut, a seed or a fruit while also offering a little insight into why the tasty little treats tend to be on the pricier side. In order to be safe for consumption, a lot of labour is involved, such as boiling or steaming the cashew shell in order to remove toxins, before the cashew can be shelled, dried and peeled.

Key Takeaways

• Many Australians are shocked to learn that cashew nuts are actually seeds that grow on the outside of a specific apple variety.
  • A Gold Coast man, Jackson Jansen, shared a video detailing his surprise, resulting in a wide reaction of disbelief on social media platforms.
  • The fact that cashews are technically seeds was met with intrigue and reignited debate on social media about whether it is a fruit, a seed, or a nut.

So if you didn’t know, now you know where cashews come from and why they’re so expensive in the supermarket! If nothing else, you can use this newfound knowledge to impress your friends and family next time you get together for a cuppa and a few cashews. 😉 Did you already know about this fact? Tell us in the comments below!

Well who knew not me and I’m 65🙀scoffed a bag down other day compliments of sisters so expensive😁obviously a nut is not just a nut Ill put them on my Xmas list😇please 🎅

View attachment 28600

Key Takeaways

I first found cashews growing wild on Horn Island. The fruit is very refreshing and we didn't keep the
nut, It is easier to buy a bag from the supermarket!

Yes I knew it as at my parents we had a cashew tree. We would eat the fruit and save the cashew nuts as these needs to be treated before one can consume them. Cashews nuts when raw, it is poison

Reactions: Littleboy8
I believe they are only that expensive because machines cannot pluck the nut. All has to be done by hand.

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 28600

Key Takeaways

As a young boy, I grew up in Indonesia (1939-1950) and often plucked these JAMBU MONYET as they were called in the local language (MONKEY APPLES) from trees in gardens. I used to peel the shells from the seeds growing outside the fruit and roast them in an open fire to eat. The fruit was used in those days to make a very tasty (tarty) refreshing drink. I just used to eat the apples as they were and thought people knew all about cashews. How wrong that is. I love cashews and unfortunately can't buy the drinks in Australia.

I believe they are only that expensive because machines cannot pluck the nut. All has to be done by hand.
Well well, well, what do you know ?
Only the young ones don't know about cashews ? Well one old duck of 78 years vintage didn't know either. I may well be one of the few people in the world that didn't know about Cashews. So there you go!!!!

View attachment 28600

Key Takeaways

I don't believe it, even though I have googled it several times. AMAZING

I had no idea about this! I’d always assumed cashews grew on trees, not out of some sort of apple. You really are never too old to learn something new. Must ask my friends if they knew about this, as well as my son.

Reactions: Davmes

View attachment 28600

Key Takeaways

If you watch the video on YouTube about growing cashews - you will never eat one again. I love cashews but no more for me.

View attachment 28600

Key Takeaways

ImI’m seventy years old and I never knew where cashews came from, very interesting.