You won't believe the treasure this NSW swimmer uncovered in the ocean

Here’s a heart-warming story to brighten up anyone’s day!

While taking a leisurely dip in the water on Sunday, one lucky swimmer made an unbelievable discovery that amazingly made its way back to its rightful owner.

The ocean is a wonderful place, isn’t it? Unique aquatic life and marine ecosystems just lurking beneath the surface make it an appealing place for people looking to find adventure.

But a swimmer had an unlikely adventure after swimming at Murrays Beach in Jervis Bay recently.

You see, the swimmer, Scott Gutterson, was in the middle of a dive when he noticed something glistening on the water's surface. It was a bottle that was covered in mussel shells – not too special in its own right, except for what it was hiding.

bottle1.jpg
The swimmer found a floating bottle while swimming in the ocean. Credit: Facebook

Inside was a note written by a little girl named Vicky who wrote that her dad was in the navy and had launched the ‘treasure’ near Newcastle, New South Wales on December 4, 2020.

The bottle spent 808 days at sea and travelled a minimum of 300 kilometres (in a straight line) and managed to arrive at Jervis Bay.

‘When I looked, I saw it had a note in it, so I was very surprised,’ he told reporters.

He added: ‘I got pretty excited and wanted to open it straight away, but I wanted to make it a surprise for my wife and kids, so I waited about eight hours and had a bit of a guessing game with them about where it was from.’

According to Scott, the letter was written by a young girl named Vicky from Canberra. She was only 10 years old back on December 4, 2020, when she sent the note out to sea near Newcastle.

Now a 13-year-old girl, Vicky and Scott managed to get in contact with each other. Vicky then explained that her father is in the Australian Navy.

‘It was the cutest little message,’ Scott shared before adding that the message had Vicky’s dad’s mobile number on it.

‘So, I called him and said, “You’re not going to believe it, but I’ve actually got Vicky’s note in my hand.” He's still in the navy and I'm ex-navy, so it's an incredible connection,’ he explained.

bottle2.jpg
This is the note that was in the bottle. Credit: Facebook

The note had a couple of words blurred out likely due to natural causes after being folded several times, but still had visible details about Vicky, including when she sent the letter, her dad’s birthday (which was the day before she sent the letter), and her birthday, which is September 30, 2010. She also said she would like it if the sender wrote back to her.

Vicky’s father, Ted, called Scott after picking up his daughter from a dance lesson.

‘I said, “Hello, Vicky my name is Scott. I've actually got the message that you put in a bottle three years ago” and she was absolutely blown away,’ Scott recalled.

Adding to the mysterious connection, Ted’s parents and Scott lived in the same South Coast New South Wales town of Gerringong.

Ted now plans to bring Vicky down to Gerringong during the Easter holidays to meet the man who found her note and receive a note in return.

‘I’m really looking forward to meeting Vicky and her dad,’ Scott shared.

As an avid ocean swimmer, Scott is used to pulling pieces of rubbish out of the sea. ‘The ocean always gives me incredible surprises but this was next level that I will not forget,’ he claimed.

Scott went on to say that it would be ‘fantastic’ if he finds another treasure like this. However, he thinks that this is only a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

‘And I’m really happy to have experienced it,’ he explained to reporters.

Social media users were also shocked the letter was found and now on the way back to Vicky.

‘What an awesome set of circumstances that have led to your find. Incredible that there is a common connection – the ocean and the navy,’ one stated.

‘How cool is that! Very exciting for Vicky,’ another declared.
Key Takeaways
  • A swimmer discovered a bottle floating on the water’s surface, covered in mussel shells, that had been thrown into the ocean more than two years ago and had travelled more than 300 kilometres.
  • The note inside the bottle was written by a little girl named Vicky, who wrote that her dad was in the navy and had launched the 'treasure' near Newcastle, New South Wales, in December 2020.
  • The swimmer contacted Vicky's dad and arranged to return the letter to the family over the Easter holidays.
  • Members of the community were shocked and amazed by the circumstances surrounding the find.
Have you ever experienced or heard a story similar to this? Share it in the comments below!

Sponsored

While taking a leisurely dip in the water on Sunday, one lucky swimmer made an unbelievable discovery that amazingly made its way back to its rightful owner.

The ocean is a wonderful place, isn’t it? Unique aquatic life and marine ecosystems just lurking beneath the surface make it an appealing place for people looking to find adventure.

But a swimmer had an unlikely adventure after swimming at Murrays Beach in Jervis Bay recently.

You see, the swimmer, Scott Gutterson, was in the middle of a dive when he noticed something glistening on the water's surface. It was a bottle that was covered in mussel shells – not too special in its own right, except for what it was hiding.

View attachment 14920
The swimmer found a floating bottle while swimming in the ocean. Credit: Facebook

Inside was a note written by a little girl named Vicky who wrote that her dad was in the navy and had launched the ‘treasure’ near Newcastle, New South Wales on December 4, 2020.

The bottle spent 808 days at sea and travelled a minimum of 300 kilometres (in a straight line) and managed to arrive at Jervis Bay.

‘When I looked, I saw it had a note in it, so I was very surprised,’ he told reporters.

He added: ‘I got pretty excited and wanted to open it straight away, but I wanted to make it a surprise for my wife and kids, so I waited about eight hours and had a bit of a guessing game with them about where it was from.’

According to Scott, the letter was written by a young girl named Vicky from Canberra. She was only 10 years old back on December 4, 2020, when she sent the note out to sea near Newcastle.

Now a 13-year-old girl, Vicky and Scott managed to get in contact with each other. Vicky then explained that her father is in the Australian Navy.

‘It was the cutest little message,’ Scott shared before adding that the message had Vicky’s dad’s mobile number on it.

‘So, I called him and said, “You’re not going to believe it, but I’ve actually got Vicky’s note in my hand.” He's still in the navy and I'm ex-navy, so it's an incredible connection,’ he explained.

View attachment 14921

The note had a couple of words blurred out likely due to natural causes after being folded several times, but still had visible details about Vicky, including when she sent the letter, her dad’s birthday (which was the day before she sent the letter), and her birthday, which is September 30, 2010. She also said she would like it if the sender wrote back to her.

Vicky’s father, Ted, called Scott after picking up his daughter from a dance lesson.

‘I said, “Hello, Vicky my name is Scott. I've actually got the message that you put in a bottle three years ago” and she was absolutely blown away,’ Scott recalled.

Adding to the mysterious connection, Ted’s parents and Scott lived in the same South Coast New South Wales town of Gerringong.

Ted now plans to bring Vicky down to Gerringong during the Easter holidays to meet the man who found her note and receive a note in return.

As an avid ocean swimmer, Scott is used to pulling pieces of rubbish out of the sea. ‘The ocean always gives me incredible surprises but this was next level that I will not forget,’ he claimed.

Scott went on to say that it would be ‘fantastic’ if he finds another treasure like this. However, he thinks that this is only a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Social media users were also shocked the letter was found and now on the way back to Vicky.

‘What an awesome set of circumstances that have led to your find. Incredible that there is a common connection – the ocean and the navy,’ one stated.

Key Takeaways

• A swimmer discovered a bottle floating on the water’s surface, covered in mussel shells, that had been thrown into the ocean more than two years ago and had travelled more than 300 kilometres.
  • The note inside the bottle was written by a little girl named Vicky, who wrote that her dad was in the navy and had launched the 'treasure' near Newcastle, New South Wales, in December 2020.
  • The swimmer contacted Vicky's dad and arranged to return the letter to the family over the Easter holidays.
  • Members of the community were shocked and amazed by the circumstances surrounding the find.
Have you ever experienced or heard a story similar to this? Share it in the comments below!
Very touching!

Reactions: Ian Crane-Luff
Just goes to show there are still some really nice people in the world

View attachment 14920

View attachment 14921

Key Takeaways

How wonderful!

View attachment 14920

View attachment 14921

Key Takeaways

I thought for a minute there you were going to tell me the young girl got her collar felt for littering!! 👀👀