You won't believe the surprise offer Woolworths has for its customers!

Ah, summertime.

It might be a golden season for some, but it often brings with it soaring temperatures and—more recently—expensive living costs that can strain our wallets.

As we strive each day to make ends meet and beat the summer heat, supermarket giant Woolworths came up with a surprising initiative to keep shoppers cool.

A customer shared this photo of freebies on social media and described it as a ‘great idea’.

The retailer had had two containers out, which had ice and bottled water inside. A message printed on the papers attached to them said: 'Dear customers, we are in for a warm day. Stay safe and hydrated. Please enjoy a bottle of cold water from the store team.’

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 10.10.44 AM.png
Woolworths is offering free bottled water for its shoppers. Credit: Facebook

'As it was 40°C in Adelaide today, cold water would have been a treat,' one customer noted.

'Can grab some apples for the kids and a bottle of water,' added another, referring to the supermarket’s 'Free Fruit for Kids' campaign.

Woolworths has been known for offering free goodies for years, but it's nice to see the retailer still delivering surprise offers occasionally.

Similarly, last February, one shopper posted a photo of a shopping cart filled with bottled water on her social media. She pointed out that the Woolworths team were trying to provide relief for those struggling in the heat.

A Woolworths spokesperson said, 'Our store teams try and bring a little good to our customers every day.'

The initiative has been met with great appreciation from the public, though sadly, there are always a few who find fault in kindness.

One critic remarked, 'Really saying is that there's no air conditioning in their store.'

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 10.12.16 AM.png
Woolies’s ‘Free Fruits for Kids’ program encourages children to include food in their diet. Credit: Triple M

In the past, free items offered by Woolies have sparked controversy, particularly the ‘Free Fruits for Kids’ program.

The ‘Free Fruits for Kids’ program has been around since 2015, aiming to help children eat more fruits.

Last year, Woolworths said that it had given away 100 million pieces of fruits ever since the program was launched. That’s over 41,000 tonnes of apples, mandarins, pears, and bananas given away to children!

Some social media personalities filmed themselves walking into Woolies, eating the free fruit offered by the store, and then leaving the store without making a purchase.

However, Woolworths employees said they didn’t care who took the free fruit.

One employee said, ‘As a Woolies worker, we don't care lol. We have a bunch of free fruit in the break room too.’

‘As a Woolies worker, I do this myself,’ another said.

Another employee commented, ‘I don't get paid enough to care (to be honest).’

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has been praised for providing free water bottles for customers as a relief from the heat.
  • A photo of the free water bottles was shared on social media, with many customers describing the initiative as a 'great idea'.
  • Woolworths stated that such actions reflect their commitment to acts of kindness and their goal to bring a 'little good' to their customers every day.
  • Criticism and controversy have surrounded previous free item offers from Woolworths, including their 'Free Fruit for Kids' displays.

What do you think of Woolworths’s initiative? Do you think it’s helpful? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
What a ‘boof-head’ and ‘dumb bum’ (pardon my French here) to the person in the article who commented, and I quote: “One critic remarked, 'Really saying is that there's no air conditioning in their store.'.” If you go into the store exhausted from the heat then enjoy some of its cooling effects. You are not expected to stay in the store to enjoy that bottle of cold water! - take it outside, even take it to your car, and enjoy it. Many people, especially older ones have been known to collapse and suffer heat stroke, and young ones as well.

So stop making stupid comments and instead be grateful and thank Woolworths for their kind generosity; my post is meant particularly for the one who commented in the article. Please members, don’t be as ridiculous as that person when you comment. I haven’t been to my local Woolworths here in Brisbane in the last few days (we are also experiencing some hot days) but I’m sure it won’t be long before this generosity happens here, if not already.

Ah, summertime.

It might be a golden season for some, but it often brings with it soaring temperatures and—more recently—expensive living costs that can strain our wallets.

As we strive each day to make ends meet and beat the summer heat, supermarket giant Woolworths came up with a surprising initiative to keep shoppers cool.

A customer shared this photo of freebies on social media and described it as a ‘great idea’.

The retailer had had two containers out, which had ice and bottled water inside. A message printed on the papers attached to them said: 'Dear customers, we are in for a warm day. Stay safe and hydrated. Please enjoy a bottle of cold water from the store team.’

View attachment 34671
Woolworths is offering free bottled water for its shoppers. Credit: Facebook

'As it was 40°C in Adelaide today, cold water would have been a treat,' one customer noted.

'Can grab some apples for the kids and a bottle of water,' added another, referring to the supermarket’s 'Free Fruit for Kids' campaign.

Woolworths has been known for offering free goodies for years, but it's nice to see the retailer still delivering surprise offers occasionally.

Similarly, last February, one shopper posted a photo of a shopping cart filled with bottled water on her social media. She pointed out that the Woolworths team were trying to provide relief for those struggling in the heat.

A Woolworths spokesperson said, 'Our store teams try and bring a little good to our customers every day.'

The initiative has been met with great appreciation from the public, though sadly, there are always a few who find fault in kindness.

One critic remarked, 'Really saying is that there's no air conditioning in their store.'

View attachment 34672
Woolies’s ‘Free Fruits for Kids’ program encourages children to include food in their diet. Credit: Triple M

In the past, free items offered by Woolies have sparked controversy, particularly the ‘Free Fruits for Kids’ program.

The ‘Free Fruits for Kids’ program has been around since 2015, aiming to help children eat more fruits.

Last year, Woolworths said that it had given away 100 million pieces of fruits ever since the program was launched. That’s over 41,000 tonnes of apples, mandarins, pears, and bananas given away to children!

Some social media personalities filmed themselves walking into Woolies, eating the free fruit offered by the store, and then leaving the store without making a purchase.

However, Woolworths employees said they didn’t care who took the free fruit.

One employee said, ‘As a Woolies worker, we don't care lol. We have a bunch of free fruit in the break room too.’

‘As a Woolies worker, I do this myself,’ another said.

Another employee commented, ‘I don't get paid enough to care (to be honest).’

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has been praised for providing free water bottles for customers as a relief from the heat.
  • A photo of the free water bottles was shared on social media, with many customers describing the initiative as a 'great idea'.
  • Woolworths stated that such actions reflect their commitment to acts of kindness and their goal to bring a 'little good' to their customers every day.
  • Criticism and controversy have surrounded previous free item offers from Woolworths, including their 'Free Fruit for Kids' displays.

What do you think of Woolworths’s initiative? Do you think it’s helpful? Let us know in the comments below!
Good on them, more store should respond in kindness good on you wollies

Reactions: magpie1
No such thing as free. Something will have the priced jacked up to cover the cost.
Perhaps, but it is still an initiative to help customers get some heat-stress relief. Be thankful or don't take it if you feel you are paying for it somewhere else in the store. Just be grateful, you might need it yourself in a real dire situation and then you will be grateful.

Reactions: magpie1