You won't believe the shocking condition of this $ 400 Sydney rental

Finding the perfect rental can be quite an uphill battle, particularly in urban areas where prices skyrocket for a tiny space.

But this most recent find from Sydney takes the cake. Prepare to be equally shocked and entertained by this grim 'studio apartment' that even prisoners wouldn't envy.

compressed-72506995-12231401-image-a-22_1687687827871.jpeg
This listing for a 'studio apartment' in inner Sydney has sparked online criticism and raised eyebrows. Source: Belle Property

Gaining attention on social media, an unbelievably tiny rental space in Redfern, inner Sydney (which the agent called a 'studio apartment') is being offered for an eye-watering $400 per week.

The so-called 'urban-style' dwelling boasts a 'loft-style sleeping area', 'great-sized courtyard', 'portable oven', and 'natural sunlight'.

However, the reality is far less appealing than the advertisement.

When social media user Rach McQueen used the floor plan to calculate the apartment's total size, she discovered the entire dwelling measured a minuscule six square metres.

To put that into perspective, a single-inmate prison cell in Australia is recommended to be around 8.75 sqm.

That's right, the living standards for prisoners are more generous than this rental.

compressed-72506991-12231401-During_her_virtual_inspection_Ms_McMcQueen_noted_the_tiny_bathro...jpeg
During her virtual inspection, Ms McQueen observed that the minuscule apartment consists of just two rooms: the main space and a tiny bathroom connected to it. Source: Belle Property

On her social media channel 'Real estate with Rachel', McQueen shared her findings and compared the dismal space to a prison cell.

She went on to point out the many issues with the apartment, including the absence of a proper kitchen, the bedroom only accessible via a rickety ladder, and the lack of any natural sunlight.

With Australia's rental market increasingly competitive, and vacancy rates hitting record lows, renters are finding themselves faced with ever-decreasing housing options.

This rental gaining traction for all the wrong reasons is another example of how difficult it has become to find decent, affordable accommodation.

Talking to social media, McQueen criticised the agent for labelling the space a 'loft style sleeping area' and expressed her disappointment that the sleeping area wasn't even shown in the advertisement.

'The fact they didn't include a photo does not fill me with hope for that space.' she wrote.

There are many things to consider when searching for rental properties. It's important to check if the apartment size meets your needs and ensure the presence of essential facilities like a good kitchen and ample natural light.

Always be vigilant in your search and search for a rental that meets your needs and provides a comfortable living environment.

The shocking Sydney rental is not an isolated case. Other jaw-dropping examples of audacious rental listings include a backyard shed being advertised as a bungalow for $300 per week.

There is also the so-called 'prison cell' apartment in central Melbourne that is also listed for $320 per week. You can read more about that listing here.

It's clear that the state of the rental market is pushing landlords to offer poor living conditions for exorbitant prices.

McQueen's incredulity was echoed by followers who commented, 'That is appalling and embarrassing, how has the government failed us so badly that renting is worse than prison?'

As one user said, 'In this economy, I think I'd rather a prison cell.'

Key Takeaways
  • A grim 'studio apartment' in Redfern, inner Sydney, is being advertised for $400 per week despite being smaller than a single-inmate prison cell.
  • Rach McQueen, who runs the popular TikTok channel 'Real estate with Rachel', calculated the apartment's total space at just 6sqm, comparing it to the recommended size of a single-inmate prison cell in Australia (8.75sqm).
  • The dismal Sydney rental market is evident as Australia's rental vacancy rate sits at a record low of 0.8 per cent, causing prices to surge.
  • Social media users express their concern and disgust at the appalling rental situation, with one renter stating that they'd 'rather a prison cell' than live in such conditions.

The plight of renters struggling to find suitable housing for their budgets is concerning.

As prices increase, it seems landlords are becoming increasingly audacious in the living standards they offer — and, in some cases, it seems like even prison cells are more appealing than these subpar dwellings.

To our members, we want to hear from you about your rental experiences. Share your own rental horror stories or tips in the comments.

Sponsored
My rental horror stories. One tenant who wrecked the place (doors stolen, fitted carpet stolen, tea and coffee flung on ceilings and walls and did a runner. And another tenant who fed me a series of sob stories and did a runner leaving me $9000 short over about12 months. And no, the rents for my 3br house with decent garden and garage were by no means extortionate. Tenants? Some don't deserve to rent a decent place!

Finding the perfect rental can be quite an uphill battle, particularly in urban areas where prices skyrocket for a tiny space.

But this most recent find from Sydney takes the cake. Prepare to be equally shocked and entertained by this grim 'studio apartment' that even prisoners wouldn't envy.

View attachment 23601
This listing for a 'studio apartment' in inner Sydney has sparked online criticism and raised eyebrows. Source: Belle Property

Gaining attention on social media, an unbelievably tiny rental space in Redfern, inner Sydney (which the agent called a 'studio apartment') is being offered for an eye-watering $400 per week.

The so-called 'urban-style' dwelling boasts a 'loft-style sleeping area', 'great-sized courtyard', 'portable oven', and 'natural sunlight'.

When social media user Rach McQueen used the floor plan to calculate the apartment's total size, she discovered the entire dwelling measured a minuscule six square metres.

To put that into perspective, a single-inmate prison cell in Australia is recommended to be around 8.75 sqm.

That's right, the living standards for prisoners are more generous than this rental.

View attachment 23602
During her virtual inspection, Ms McQueen observed that the minuscule apartment consists of just two rooms: the main space and a tiny bathroom connected to it. Source: Belle Property

On her social media channel 'Real estate with Rachel', McQueen shared her findings and compared the dismal space to a prison cell.

She went on to point out the many issues with the apartment, including the absence of a proper kitchen, the bedroom only accessible via a rickety ladder, and the lack of any natural sunlight.

With Australia's rental market increasingly competitive, and vacancy rates hitting record lows, renters are finding themselves faced with ever-decreasing housing options.

This rental gaining traction for all the wrong reasons is another example of how difficult it has become to find decent, affordable accommodation.

Talking to social media, McQueen criticised the agent for labelling the space a 'loft style sleeping area' and expressed her disappointment that the sleeping area wasn't even shown in the advertisement.

'The fact they didn't include a photo does not fill me with hope for that space.' she wrote.

There are many things to consider when searching for rental properties. It's important to check if the apartment size meets your needs and ensure the presence of essential facilities like a good kitchen and ample natural light.

Always be vigilant in your search and search for a rental that meets your needs and provides a comfortable living environment.

The shocking Sydney rental is not an isolated case. Other jaw-dropping examples of audacious rental listings include a backyard shed being advertised as a bungalow for $300 per week.

There is also the so-called 'prison cell' apartment in central Melbourne that is also listed for $320 per week. You can read more about that listing here.

It's clear that the state of the rental market is pushing landlords to offer poor living conditions for exorbitant prices.

McQueen's incredulity was echoed by followers who commented, 'That is appalling and embarrassing, how has the government failed us so badly that renting is worse than prison?'

Key Takeaways

• A grim 'studio apartment' in Redfern, inner Sydney, is being advertised for $400 per week despite being smaller than a single-inmate prison cell.
  • Rach McQueen, who runs the popular TikTok channel 'Real estate with Rachel', calculated the apartment's total space at just 6sqm, comparing it to the recommended size of a single-inmate prison cell in Australia (8.75sqm).
  • The dismal Sydney rental market is evident as Australia's rental vacancy rate sits at a record low of 0.8 per cent, causing prices to surge.
  • Social media users express their concern and disgust at the appalling rental situation, with one renter stating that they'd 'rather a prison cell' than live in such conditions.

The plight of renters struggling to find suitable housing for their budgets is concerning.

As prices increase, it seems landlords are becoming increasingly audacious in the living standards they offer — and, in some cases, it seems like even prison cells are more appealing than these subpar dwellings.

To our members, we want to hear from you about your rental experiences. Share your own rental horror stories or tips in the comments.
THAT is a joke, right? I've seen a cabin in caravan park with more space than that! That thing is nothing more than a luxury shower stall. Wouldn't even get $40 from me for that backyard dog kennel with dog wash bulit in.

Reactions: Jennie and Rob44

View attachment 23601

View attachment 23602

Key Takeaways

This is absurd! We are supposed to be a 1st world country.

moved out of home had a rented caravan and solid annex - furnished. left there had a flat - 2 bed 1 dining/kitchen separate loo outside front door on behind another door and shower down underneath flats stairs up to flat fully furnished and kitchen appliances shared laundry between flats. left there - 2 bed 1 full bathroom/laundry with kitchen and lounge and car space on side street round corner from main street of town with front and back door and veranda - unfurnished own appliances.
NONE of these cost anywhere near over $200 a week. (and all had more room than what that above has for $400)

Reactions: Rob44
The only shocking thing about this is if someone actually paid that amount to live there. I seriously doubt it is leagal!

My rental horror stories. One tenant who wrecked the place (doors stolen, fitted carpet stolen, tea and coffee flung on ceilings and walls and did a runner. And another tenant who fed me a series of sob stories and did a runner leaving me $9000 short over about12 months. And no, the rents for my 3br house with decent garden and garage were by no means extortionate. Tenants? Some don't deserve to rent a decent place!
I agree with you that some dont even deserve a cave to live in, even jail is to good for them what for a roof a bed toilet and showers plus 3 meals a day, and its easy enough for them to get there. At my age if I ended up in that situation I would take the 3 meals a day scenario

Reactions: Rob44
Unfortunately with the rental crisis so bad somebody will probably rent this place out of sheer desperation. There should be laws to stop these rip off landlords and agents from even having the gall to advertise these ridiculous spaces and there should be hefty fines for doing so. Greed has certainly raised its ugly head amidst the current rental shortage.

Reactions: Jennie

View attachment 23601

View attachment 23602

Key Takeaways

This highlights a common problem in urban areas, where high rental prices can lead to very small residential units being marketed as "studio apartments". It is important for tenants to be well informed and vigilant when looking for rental properties to ensure they get the best value for money and the right living conditions.
In urban areas with high demand, rental prices can be significantly higher, even for small spaces.

Unfortunately with the rental crisis so bad somebody will probably rent this place out of sheer desperation. There should be laws to stop these rip off landlords and agents from even having the gall to advertise these ridiculous spaces and there should be hefty fines for doing so. Greed has certainly raised its ugly head amidst the current rental shortage.
Don't worry; the supermarket duopoly also price-gouges. It's normal Australian business practice these days. Just ask Qantas.