You won't believe the outrageous price this Aussie restaurant is charging for an entree!

We all know that dining out can be a bit pricey, but it’s still a surprise when a restaurant charges what some deem an unjustifiably high price for a small dish.

This was recently the reality for one diner at a restaurant in Australia, who took to social media to express their shock and disbelief at the huge price tag attached to a small side dish.

The dish was corn ribs seasoned with ancho chilli salt and served with burnt butter.

The entree was listed in the me&u app that restaurants and pubs use for table service at a hefty $15!

photo (18).jpg
One diner was shocked to see the price of corn ribs in this restaurant. Image source: Reddit.

The dish seemed to consist of about four small pieces of charred corn–which the diner felt was not enough for the price they were being asked to pay. The diner complained and captioned the post: ‘40 cents worth of corn in Australia.’

Some users agreed that the diner had every right to be stunned by the price.

‘You’d have to be insane to think this is okay. $15 for a slither of corn?’ one person commented on the post.

While another one said: ‘I certainly wouldn’t be buying it.’

But a surprising number of people came to the restaurant’s defence, with some arguing that although the price was expensive, there was still justification for it.

‘Almost like you’re paying for the time for someone to cook it, all the kitchen equipment, rent on the place, profit and covering the fee that Uber Eats charges to the restaurant,’ one user said.

‘$15 is over the top, but staff need to be paid, rent needs to be paid, power needs to be paid etc,’ another person argued. ‘You don’t do that by having super cheap options on the menu chosen by people occupying valuable table space.’

The Impact of Rising Costs on Restaurant Pricing

A wave of increasing costs might be contributing to this price surprise. Everything from higher wages, increasing rent, unpredictable utility costs, and supply chain disruptions caused by the current global situation is impacting how restaurant owners calculate the cost of menu items.

Many restaurant owners are grappling with how to balance maintaining their profit margins and adequately compensating their staff while at the same time keeping meals affordable for customers.

There’s no denying the push and pull at play here–on the one hand, rising food costs and other overheads can tempt some restaurateurs to increase menu prices. On the other hand, they risk losing customers to competitors with more reasonable pricing.

Some restaurateurs handle these challenges by getting creative with cost-saving measures, such as reevaluating supply chain efficiencies or revising menu offerings.

But even with the most innovative strategies, there will inevitably be some impact that may end up trickling down the diner's plate and wallet.

Key Takeaways
  • A diner was shocked over an Aussie restaurant's 'overpriced' entree–a $15 dish of corn ribs.
  • The photo showed four 'slivers' of charred corn, which the customer complained was worth 40 cents.
  • The price sparked a bitter debate on social media, with many defending the restaurant's pricing.
  • Some argued that the price needs to cover costs like staff, kitchen equipment, rent, etc.
What are your thoughts, dear members? Do you think the menu item was overpriced? Or was the price justifiable? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
We all know that dining out can be a bit pricey, but it’s still a surprise when a restaurant charges what some deem an unjustifiably high price for a small dish.

This was recently the reality for one diner at a restaurant in Australia, who took to social media to express their shock and disbelief at the huge price tag attached to a small side dish.

The dish was corn ribs seasoned with ancho chilli salt and served with burnt butter.

The entree was listed in the me&u app that restaurants and pubs use for table service at a hefty $15!

View attachment 28156
One diner was shocked to see the price of corn ribs in this restaurant. Image source: Reddit.

The dish seemed to consist of about four small pieces of charred corn–which the diner felt was not enough for the price they were being asked to pay. The diner complained and captioned the post: ‘40 cents worth of corn in Australia.’

‘You’d have to be insane to think this is okay. $15 for a slither of corn?’ one person commented on the post.

But a surprising number of people came to the restaurant’s defence, with some arguing that although the price was expensive, there was still justification for it.

‘Almost like you’re paying for the time for someone to cook it, all the kitchen equipment, rent on the place, profit and covering the fee that Uber Eats charges to the restaurant,’ one user said.

‘$15 is over the top, but staff need to be paid, rent needs to be paid, power needs to be paid etc,’ another person argued. ‘You don’t do that by having super cheap options on the menu chosen by people occupying valuable table space.’

A wave of increasing costs might be contributing to this price surprise. Everything from higher wages, increasing rent, unpredictable utility costs, and supply chain disruptions caused by the current global situation is impacting how restaurant owners calculate the cost of menu items.

Many restaurant owners are grappling with how to balance maintaining their profit margins and adequately compensating their staff while at the same time keeping meals affordable for customers.

There’s no denying the push and pull at play here–on the one hand, rising food costs and other overheads can tempt some restaurateurs to increase menu prices. On the other hand, they risk losing customers to competitors with more reasonable pricing.

Some restaurateurs handle these challenges by getting creative with cost-saving measures, such as reevaluating supply chain efficiencies or revising menu offerings.

But even with the most innovative strategies, there will inevitably be some impact that may end up trickling down the diner's plate and wallet.

Key Takeaways

• A diner was shocked over an Aussie restaurant's 'overpriced' entree–a $15 dish of corn ribs.
  • The photo showed four 'slivers' of charred corn, which the customer complained was worth 40 cents.
  • The price sparked a bitter debate on social media, with many defending the restaurant's pricing.
  • Some argued that the price needs to cover costs like staff, kitchen equipment, rent, etc.
What are your thoughts, dear members? Do you think the menu item was overpriced? Or was the price justifiable? Let us know in the comments below!
You pay for so much as stated in the story. The food is probably the least expensive although it's figured into the overall price.

In this day and age a lot of people struggle just to pay their own bills so ordering food from restaurants can be a rather lavish luxury experience and they attempt to get something that they enjoy eating without breaking the bank.......if after looking at the prices they feel they really can't afford food from an outside source well then obviously they will not order anything and cook something for themselves.......restaurants have a lot of overheads in running their business and making a reasonable profit for themselves.....if they can't do that then they wouldn't be in their business would they ? So don't argue about the pricing, you are not obliged to order the food are you ? Bottom line, if you can't afford the food on offer then stay at home and cook your own meals. Simple !!

Reactions: Babbie
In this day and age a lot of people struggle just to pay their own bills so ordering food from restaurants can be a rather lavish luxury experience and they attempt to get something that they enjoy eating without breaking the bank.......if after looking at the prices they feel they really can't afford food from an outside source well then obviously they will not order anything and cook something for themselves.......restaurants have a lot of overheads in running their business and making a reasonable profit for themselves.....if they can't do that then they wouldn't be in their business would they ? So don't argue about the pricing, you are not obliged to order the food are you ? Bottom line, if you can't afford the food on offer then stay at home and cook your own meals. Simple !!
Magpie1, you would think it would be simple, I agree with you. Refreshing to read something on this forum where someone is not whinging and moaning about a rubbish story.

View attachment 28156

Key Takeaways

the only way I eat corn is when I have grown my own in the back yard and eat it freshly picked and raw.... it is so sweet and juicy, so If I dont grow it I dont eat it...

Reactions: Littleboy8
The price of corn (the cheapest crop to grow) has skyrocketed in price. I have stopped buying corn and baby peas as a result. $4.19/kg.
I
the only way I eat corn is when I have grown my own in the back yard and eat it freshly picked and raw.... it is so sweet and juicy, so If I dont grow it I dont eat it...
good for you👍

View attachment 28156

Key Takeaways

Why have something so banal on the menu anyway👎

I was in the Hotel/restaurant business for 45 yrs and unless you are in the industry you have no idea of the overheads. I find $15 a bit rich but this person could have asked what they were getting if no picture and not gotten it. Sooooo glad I'm retired. It's a very difficult industry to please everyone.
Blimey you deserve a medal 🥉 I lasted 20 years and threw in the towel😂it’s hard work long hours for little money but also fun👍

Reactions: Ricki

View attachment 28156

Key Takeaways

justification? whoever said that has rocks in their head. that price would give you the runs.

Yes it was a love/hate affair :D but also a family affair. Two of my children followed in my footsteps. Can't imagine why as I was a hard taskmaster. :ROFLMAO:😂
👍
Omg I was also hard🙀must be why I went through two husbands😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricki
Why should he have the right to complain at prices? Your diner mate chose to visit that restaurant, He did not like the prices, so his choice not to order the dish and leave. No one was making him order did they? Don''t like the price, don't get it. His choice.
Sometimes you don't know exactly what you're going to get until it arrives.
I don't think I would have been too happy with that either. Sometimes the description on the menu and the product don't exactly match.

Why and who can afford to eat out in the first place .. maybe that is why I have been through 3 marriages. never again

Reactions: Littleboy8