You WON’T believe what happened to these suitcases after a flight

Travel is said to be one of life’s greatest pleasures – seeing new places, and meeting new people… what's not to like?

Whether by land, air, or sea, there’s just something about the journey and the experience that calls to our souls, isn’t there?

Speaking of air travel, sometimes flying on a plane can be a bit of a nightmare.

Long security lines, screaming babies, and the occasional delays are just some of the less-than-pleasant realities of travelling by plane these days.

And that's not even getting into the potential problems with lost or damaged luggage!

Sadly, that was recently the experience of two different travellers whose suitcases were returned to them in an absolutely unacceptable state after being placed under the care of an airline.

Our first story is from Reddit, where a user posted a picture of mangled luggage with the title ‘My uncle’s suitcase after his flight’ on a group aptly called ‘r/mildlyinfuriating’.

jbgfigb.png
A Reddit user shared the sorry state of his uncle’s luggage after a flight. Credit: Reddit/u/anonym0ose

The luggage, which most probably was a decent red suitcase once, looked like it was used as the landing gear for his uncle’s flight with all its gashes!

It was also covered in what looks like dust or some sort of white power, to make things worse.

The original poster (OP) shared that his uncle said the white powder was gravel, which led them to believe the suitcase was dragged across the airport’s tarmac while being taken off the plane.

He said his uncle didn’t feel comfortable with him sharing the name of the airline he travelled with.

Thankfully though, save for a hairbrush, a shoe, and the suitcase itself, his belongings were undamaged.

He is also being reimbursed for the damages. (Rightfully so!)

Of course, other users took their time offering their opinions on the post!

Most took to joking, with one user saying ‘Did they put it IN the engine?’

Another said: ‘Airline Spokesman: How do we know it didn't always look like that?’

Some were downright livid, with one user saying: ‘How is this mildly infuriating? I think I would lose my s**t, something used this suitcase as a chew toy.’

One user offered their own explanation of the bag’s sorry state: ‘They use conveyors in airports that run quite quickly, that probably got jammed up where there is no sensor to detect jams (some can cause a “logjam” of bags 30+ feet long with dozens of bags). So potentially (for) a few minutes, the conveyor was zipping along with the bag stuck…If it’s any consolation, that is sadly far from the worst damage I have seen a bag take when I worked on the systems.’ Yikes!

Our next story is from radio show 2GB listener Michelle, who shared photos of her daughter's luggage after her international flight from Heathrow arrived in Sydney via Malaysian Airlines.

damaged-luggage3.jpg
2GB listener Michelle’s daughter was in for quite a nasty surprise when she saw her luggage. Credit: 2GB

Once Michelle’s daughter came to her baggage, she came across a rather infuriating sight: her bag was torn to shreds! Literally!

The blue bag looked like it had been on a journey from hell and back, and that’s putting it lightly looking at the picture she shared.

Unfortunately, it’s not clear if Michelle or her daughter sought compensation for the damaged bag — but hopefully, they did!

So, what do you do if unfortunately, you arrive at a similar grisly sight?

Aussie airlines like Qantas or Jetstar advise their customers to proceed to their airport baggage counters in similar instances. They also usually ask for photographs of the item before the damage as an added assurance against fraud. So remember to always take photos of your suitcase and its contents before flying!

Key Takeaways

• Two people shared stories of their relatives' horrifying luggage experiences with airlines.
  • One traveller's luggage in America and another's in Australia suffered the same fate, having surfaces ripped to shreds.
  • Some people online aired their disbelief at the state of the luggages, while others speculated that they might have gotten stuck in conveyor belts.
Speaking of Qantas, you might want to check this story about an award they were likely not too happy to receive.

Meanwhile, if you’re planning a holiday, allow us to help you with your choices with this lovely list of Australia’s hidden gems!

Have you had similar experiences of your luggage being damaged while travelling? What happened? Tell us below!

Sponsored
I have seen luggage handlers throw luggage from the aircraft onto the ground and then onto the cart. Also, luggage fell off the cart on the way to the arrival lounge.

In 1976, I went on a holiday to South East Asia with my Mum.
When we went to Thailand my Mum's suitcase didn't arrive.
She had all our toiletries, so neither of us had any bathroom items.
We were told to go the shops and buy whatever we needed.
Mum was a little bit on the round side, so there were NO clothes to fit her in the shops.
She slept in her petticoat, and washed her dress and underwear every night.
Her suitcase turned up 6 days later, all dented.
It was full of sawdust, but nothing was missing.
To this day, I have no idea where the sawdust came from.
The case had been to London, we were told.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jersey Girl
A friend and I travelled to Xiamen one year from Australia. Different airlines, different cities but same day. Interestingly, both our suitcases had the handles ripped off and both were missing the same two wheels. A coincidence???

A friend and I travelled to Xiamen one year from Australia. Different airlines, different cities but same day. Interestingly, both our suitcases had the handles ripped off and both were missing the same two wheels. A coincidence???
Have had the same experience. Had a brand new case to start trip to London and back, Ended up with no handles or wheels, had to clutch it to your chest. Wasn't easy!! They really dont care!

Not sure if it is simply a case of not caring. The evidence points to malicious and wilful damage. An independent agency is required to video all aspects of handling and any perpetrators to wilful damage should be forced to pay for new items. And 2 strikes should be out.
A great example of wilful damage occurred with Ansett a few years ago on a trip from OOL to Canberra. I had an expensive leather hand-luggage case only. No checked baggage. I was 2 kg over the limit. Arguments that I had no checked luggage were disregarded, so it shows that this rule is not about weight. So I relented and allowed the bag to go as checked luggage. Inside the bag was an expensive bottle of red wine. It was so extensively wrapped and encased in a hard plastic tube that it would have survived a 100ft fall. Arrived at Canberra airport and waited for my luggage. "Oh, it mustn't have made your flight", "Oh it will be on the next flight" and a number of other excuses followed. Cutting a long story short - someone must have X-rayed the case and saw the wine. The case was opened and the wine bottle was deliberately smashed spilling about half the ingredients through my white shirts and suit. The glass fragments and wrappings were then stuffed back into the plastic tube - without the duct tape. Of importance was that only about half of the glass bottle was stuffed back. Accidental !!!??? rubbish !!! Undeniably deliberate !!! To make matters even worse were instructions in the case as to where a key was placed to get into the residence. I was made to wait over an hour in Canberra's winter without additional clothes until the people arrived. Four hours later there was a knock on the door presenting me with a giant plastic bag containing my sullied case. All arguments with Ansett failed of course with comments like "we don't know the condition of your wine, your case, and the clothes". BASTARDS !!!!