You won’t believe this ‘alarming’ act: Holiday-goer's shocking exposé of hotel staffer goes viral

We here at the SDC always love a good hotel stay. Whether it's an overnight getaway or a longer vacation, there's something so luxurious about being able to kick back in a clean room with all the amenities you need at your fingertips.

And while most of us have had overwhelmingly positive experiences with hotel stays, every now and then there are unfortunately some bad apples who try to spoil the fun. There have been quite a few news stories lately about hotel staff members behaving badly, from stealing guests' belongings to snooping around in their rooms without permission. It's enough to make anyone think twice about booking their next holiday!

But recently, one guest caught a staff member in the act – thanks to some quick thinking and modern technology. TikTok user 'arturbo86' recently shared his story (and accompanying footage) of how he discovered his hotel worker going through his possessions while he was ‘out of the room’ – and even helping himself to a beer from the minibar – thanks to a security camera app he had installed on his laptop!

The video has since gone viral, racking up over 2.3 million views and receiving 1600 comments since it was posted.

The video poster captioned the video: ‘Our vacation got weird. I won't be naming the hotel because they handled this situation very well. Just be careful out there and use technology to your advantage.’

The holiday-goer claims that he set up a surveillance app on his laptop, iSentry, explaining: ‘I set it to upload to Dropbox, so I could check in while I was away from the room.’

‘This was the first time I set up a camera and I caught this. This is alarming to me.’

DALL·E 2022-10-06 14.47.11 - hotel cleaner being caught stealing on camera, watercolor & pen.png
Thanks to a 'creative' use of his laptop, a Tiktok was able to catch a dodgy hotel cleaner red handed. Source: OpenAI

Other Tiktok users’ comments on the video varied. Some found the situation funny, with one person remarking ‘what a nice guy. He comes to check everything is there on the daily to make sure it’s in the right spot’, and another echoed the sentiment saying, ‘He's doing a quality check and cleaning routine.’

For others, the video clip seemed to validate a lot of travel anxieties they already had. ‘This is why I barely take anything out of my case and I always keep my lock on it and travel with the keys always,’ said one, with another saying ‘the exact reason I don’t allow cleaners in the room while I stay’.

The video came not long after an Aussie pensioner caught his ‘best mate’ robbing him of his valuables after installing a hidden camera in his wardrobe.

His son suggested that they install a hidden CCTV camera inside the wardrobe, which captured the man rummaging through his possessions four times as well as helping himself to cash.

The missing items included $100 put into a birthday card for his daughter and $400 left in a suit coat pocket.

The guilty party admitted to three counts of entering a premise with intent, as well as one count of burglary.

The man was sentenced to a nine-month jail term, wholly suspended for a year, and was ordered to pay $200 in compensation.

What are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever had items mysteriously go missing while staying at a hotel? How about in your own home? Share your stories with us below!

Sponsored
We here at the SDC always love a good hotel stay. Whether it's an overnight getaway or a longer vacation, there's something so luxurious about being able to kick back in a clean room with all the amenities you need at your fingertips.

And while most of us have had overwhelmingly positive experiences with hotel stays, every now and then there are unfortunately some bad apples who try to spoil the fun. There have been quite a few news stories lately about hotel staff members behaving badly, from stealing guests' belongings to snooping around in their rooms without permission. It's enough to make anyone think twice about booking their next holiday!

But recently, one guest caught a staff member in the act – thanks to some quick thinking and modern technology. TikTok user 'arturbo86' recently shared his story (and accompanying footage) of how he discovered his hotel worker going through his possessions while he was ‘out of the room’ – and even helping himself to a beer from the minibar – thanks to a security camera app he had installed on his laptop!

The video has since gone viral, racking up over 2.3 million views and receiving 1600 comments since it was posted.

The video poster captioned the video: ‘Our vacation got weird. I won't be naming the hotel because they handled this situation very well. Just be careful out there and use technology to your advantage.’

The holiday-goer claims that he set up a surveillance app on his laptop, iSentry, explaining: ‘I set it to upload to Dropbox, so I could check in while I was away from the room.’

‘This was the first time I set up a camera and I caught this. This is alarming to me.’

View attachment 6922
Thanks to a 'creative' use of his laptop, a Tiktok was able to catch a dodgy hotel cleaner red handed. Source: OpenAI

Other Tiktok users’ comments on the video varied. Some found the situation funny, with one person remarking ‘what a nice guy. He comes to check everything is there on the daily to make sure it’s in the right spot’, and another echoed the sentiment saying, ‘He's doing a quality check and cleaning routine.’

For others, the video clip seemed to validate a lot of travel anxieties they already had. ‘This is why I barely take anything out of my case and I always keep my lock on it and travel with the keys always,’ said one, with another saying ‘the exact reason I don’t allow cleaners in the room while I stay’.

The video came not long after an Aussie pensioner caught his ‘best mate’ robbing him of his valuables after installing a hidden camera in his wardrobe.

His son suggested that they install a hidden CCTV camera inside the wardrobe, which captured the man rummaging through his possessions four times as well as helping himself to cash.

The missing items included $100 put into a birthday card for his daughter and $400 left in a suit coat pocket.

The guilty party admitted to three counts of entering a premise with intent, as well as one count of burglary.

The man was sentenced to a nine-month jail term, wholly suspended for a year, and was ordered to pay $200 in compensation.

What are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever had items mysteriously go missing while staying at a hotel? How about in your own home? Share your stories with us below!

Lowlife scumbag 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

View attachment 6922

It’s annoying but don’t unpack valuables unless I put in the safe. I never use the drawers but keep in the suitcase locked if I go out.

Reactions: Ezzy
I think I must be far too trusting. I would have never expected a hotel employee to behave like this.

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 6922

I think some magistrates are getting a cut from poceeds... Man steals $500 and Magistrate says compensate with $200 ,, where is the other $300 ?

Reactions: Reaper123 and Ezzy
Can't say l have ever noticed things missing when we have travelled but l guess, in the back of my mind the thought is always there. Good idea with the security camera, especially if the cleaner sees you leave the room & knows they have ample time because you are going out for a meal.