You could be paying $2200 for failing to see this parking sign!

Parking laws can be tricky to remember, so it’s no surprise that every once in a while, an unusual sign may sneak past us. This fact should be even more evident when parking at an EV charging station.

That’s right, although it might not be widely known, an EV charging station parking spot requires a specific type of sign; otherwise, you could find yourself in hot water and even face a hefty fine.

A recent example was the story of an EV driver from Sydney. Wanting to charge his electric car in a charging spot, he found the spot occupied by two fuel vehicles.

He photographed the cars and the sign, which shows a large 4P within a 12-hour window and a car with an electric cord that reads 'Only while charging'.

It's unknown whether the two drivers intentionally parked in the spaces or were unaware of the signage.

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 3.12.27 PM.png
At first glance, the sign appears to be a regular four-hour parking window, but on closer inspection, the spaces are for electric vehicles only. Credit: X/fictillius.

His issue is not an isolated incident, as many EV drivers are also grappling with a shortage of public charging ports that are not keeping up with the rising EV sales in the country.

As the popularity of electric vehicles continues to surge, new penalties have emerged to support the transition to these options on Australian roads. Multiple states have instituted new regulations, imposing hefty fines on drivers found parked in spaces designated for electric vehicles or blocking EV charging stations.

The states of ACT, NSW, and QLD have taken the lead by introducing the highest penalties for obstructing charging stations, reaching up to 20 penalty points.

However, the fine amounts differ in each state due to varying unit prices. In the ACT, the penalty can amount to $3,200; in NSW, it's $2,200; and in QLD, it's $2,875. Meanwhile, in Victoria, misusing an electric vehicle’s charging spot results in a fine of $369, along with two penalty units.

Despite the hefty penalties, experts say that this new rule is important to prevent drivers from doing the equivalent of parking ‘in front of a fuel bowser’.

The fines apply not only to those who park non-electric vehicles in spots designated for electric cars but also to electric vehicle drivers who occupy these spots without actively recharging their vehicles.

According to Chris Jones, the National President of the Australian Electric Vehicle Association, the penalties serve as a means to raise public awareness.

‘No one would like it if I parked my vehicle in front of a fuel bowser and walked inside and ordered lunch. There needs to be an acknowledgement that there are places you can park and places you can't, and right in front of an EV charger is one where you can't,’ he explained.

Key Takeaways

• Electric vehicle (EV) charging stations are being incorporated on kerbsides with specific parking signs, and not obeying these signs can result in high fines.
  • An incident was reported where two fuel vehicles parked in EV charging spaces.
  • Many EV drivers are struggling with a lack of public charging ports despite significant increases in EV sales in Australia.
  • The Australian government has introduced hefty fines for misuse of EV charging spaces and is taking steps to support the transition to electric vehicles.

Folks, familiarise yourself with any EV parking spot you see so you understand where you can and cannot park your car.

If you come across a mysterious 4P sign, give it a second look and check for any additional EV-specific requirements that may be in place. A few moments of investigation could save you hundreds and thousands of dollars.

We hope you found this article helpful! Good luck and stay safe on the road always, members!

Sponsored
Parking laws can be tricky to remember, so it’s no surprise that every once in a while, an unusual sign may sneak past us. This fact should be even more evident when parking at an EV charging station.

That’s right, although it might not be widely known, an EV charging station parking spot requires a specific type of sign; otherwise, you could find yourself in hot water and even face a hefty fine.

A recent example was the story of an EV driver from Sydney. Wanting to charge his electric car in a charging spot, he found the spot occupied by two fuel vehicles.

He photographed the cars and the sign, which shows a large 4P within a 12-hour window and a car with an electric cord that reads 'Only while charging'.

It's unknown whether the two drivers intentionally parked in the spaces or were unaware of the signage.

View attachment 28889
At first glance, the sign appears to be a regular four-hour parking window, but on closer inspection, the spaces are for electric vehicles only. Credit: X/fictillius.

His issue is not an isolated incident, as many EV drivers are also grappling with a shortage of public charging ports that are not keeping up with the rising EV sales in the country.

As the popularity of electric vehicles continues to surge, new penalties have emerged to support the transition to these options on Australian roads. Multiple states have instituted new regulations, imposing hefty fines on drivers found parked in spaces designated for electric vehicles or blocking EV charging stations.

The states of ACT, NSW, and QLD have taken the lead by introducing the highest penalties for obstructing charging stations, reaching up to 20 penalty points.

However, the fine amounts differ in each state due to varying unit prices. In the ACT, the penalty can amount to $3,200; in NSW, it's $2,200; and in QLD, it's $2,875. Meanwhile, in Victoria, misusing an electric vehicle’s charging spot results in a fine of $369, along with two penalty units.

Despite the hefty penalties, experts say that this new rule is important to prevent drivers from doing the equivalent of parking ‘in front of a fuel bowser’.

The fines apply not only to those who park non-electric vehicles in spots designated for electric cars but also to electric vehicle drivers who occupy these spots without actively recharging their vehicles.

According to Chris Jones, the National President of the Australian Electric Vehicle Association, the penalties serve as a means to raise public awareness.

‘No one would like it if I parked my vehicle in front of a fuel bowser and walked inside and ordered lunch. There needs to be an acknowledgement that there are places you can park and places you can't, and right in front of an EV charger is one where you can't,’ he explained.

Key Takeaways

• Electric vehicle (EV) charging stations are being incorporated on kerbsides with specific parking signs, and not obeying these signs can result in high fines.
  • An incident was reported where two fuel vehicles parked in EV charging spaces.
  • Many EV drivers are struggling with a lack of public charging ports despite significant increases in EV sales in Australia.
  • The Australian government has introduced hefty fines for misuse of EV charging spaces and is taking steps to support the transition to electric vehicles.

Folks, familiarise yourself with any EV parking spot you see so you understand where you can and cannot park your car.

If you come across a mysterious 4P sign, give it a second look and check for any additional EV-specific requirements that may be in place. A few moments of investigation could save you hundreds and thousands of dollars.

We hope you found this article helpful! Good luck and stay safe on the road always, members!

so where does the power for these curb side parking stations come from in the City ?

Well to me it does NOT look like an ordinary parking sign, it has a CORD coming out the back of the car. So those people should have their drivers licence revoked for driving while BLIND. Ignorant people think Laws don't apply to them.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji

View attachment 28889

Key Takeaways

i must be more aware. no evs in this house. did you listen to 2gb where 40000 football fields are being used up around farmers who do not get 1 cent and one has to drive an extra 9 ks to get home.
north qld. I am too old for for this to effect me so i hope it all crashes down on labours head. disgusting.

So who is paying for the charging? Surely they are not refueling their car for free?
I haven't actually seen one of these charging stations yet but I'm pretty sure they will have some sort of payment method just like the parking meters in most cities for ordinary cars.

If you have to drive from Brisbane to Sydney how many EV charging stations are there along the highway?? I'd love to know - and what happens when you drive your expensive EV from Adelaide across the Nullarbor??

Last edited:
We only have a few EV charge spots around town. They are predominantly in shoppjng centre car parks and in the CBD. I have noticed the spots are usually fully utilised, however, have never checked if they are actually EV's.
We are not interested in fully electric because of the low number of charging spots, and, not knowing where they may be further afield. Very happy with our Hybrid that has the backup of fuel.
I'm hoping to still be on the perch when Hydrogen power comes in for cars. Until then, I am not comfortable with having a car that is charged up on a power point that may be using fossil fuel power.
How wonderful would it be to have a car that has a roof fully charged by solar. You never know.

There is a not insignificant group of bogans (known as ICEholes for Internal Combustion Engine) out there who believe electric vehicles should be banned because the EV owners don't pay fuel tax and go out of their way to block EV chargers. In Victoria, EV owners pay 2.8 cents per kilometer traveled. This tax will probably spread to all states.

• Wow
I'm questioning the legality of this whole thing. There is every indication that the charging stations are situated on a public street going by the photo.

If so, why is a private organisation, i.e. the charging station operator, conducting business on a public street, funded by the ALL of the public for the benefit of an "elite" few. Unless the parking space is limited for the disabled or other legitimate purpose, all parking should be available to all motorists regardless of their car type and in accordance with existing laws.

Technically, this stinks of discrimination. If I still drove, my ICE vehicle would be parking in these spots if they were available and who's going to stop me?

Last edited:
i must be more aware. no evs in this house. did you listen to 2gb where 40000 football fields are being used up around farmers who do not get 1 cent and one has to drive an extra 9 ks to get home.
north qld. I am too old for for this to effect me so i hope it all crashes down on labours head. disgusting.
????????? What are you talking about this post is gobbledegook and has no bearing on the subject of this post.

Reactions: LeahI
I'm questioning the legality of this whole thing. There is every indication that the charging stations are situated on a public street going by the photo.

If so, why is a private organisation, i.e. the charging station operator, conducting business on a public street, funded by the ALL of the public for the benefit of an "elite" few. Unless the parking space is limited for the disabled or other legitimate purpose, all parking should be available to all motorists regardless of their car type and in accordance with existing laws.

Technically, this stinks of discrimination. If I still drove, my ICE vehicle would be parking in these spots if they were available and who's going to stop me?
How do you know it is a private "charging station operator conducting business on a public street"? You are assuming. It is not discrimination - we've been whingeing about climate change etc, etc, etc. Now governments around the world are trying to do something by slowly introducing what they feel may be a small percentage to reduce this climate change and people are still whingeing - discrimination etc because it does not suit them.

Ignore a sign and you will reap the full 'benefits' of the law by getting a hefty fine. Park at your own risk!!

How do you know it is a private "charging station operator conducting business on a public street"? You are assuming. It is not discrimination - we've been whingeing about climate change etc, etc, etc. Now governments around the world are trying to do something by slowly introducing what they feel may be a small percentage to reduce this climate change and people are still whingeing - discrimination etc because it does not suit them.

Ignore a sign and you will reap the full 'benefits' of the law by getting a hefty fine. Park at your own risk!!
"There is every indication" means it appears to be so. Your post is evidence that comprehension is a dying art.

Geez! A zealot from the "Church of Climatology" whinging about whinging about "climate change".

It used to called "global warming" but the ones with half an ounce of intelligence would know the reason behind the name change. Apologies for the use of an imperial unit.

A far as the fine goes - fine me. Then send out a friendly reminder. Then another less than friendly reminder. That's where it stops - no more correspondence from the fine enforcement agency!

EV parking spot is just for that, Electric Vehicle!!
If you park in one of these designated parking places, expect to get fined.
Do the crime, pay the time….end of story… STOP whining!!!

EV parking spot is just for that, Electric Vehicle!!
If you park in one of these designated parking places, expect to get fined.
Do the crime, pay the time….end of story… STOP whining!!!
Same as the "FRIENDLY FUEL VEHICLE ONLY" signs at the local Woolies carpark? I've never seen so much crap in my life!

I'll take a pic of it this arvo and post it.

The sign looks pretty clear and obvious to me I think is just the same as drivers who park in handicap spaces they just don't give a damn