You could be eligible for a $3000 compensation from Australia Post if you've been a victim of 'carding'

If you're one of the many Australians who've been a victim of 'carding' when it comes to your parcel deliveries, we have some good news for you – you could be eligible for compensation.

Lawyers and sisters, Alison and Jillian Barrett from Maurice Blackburn detailed the legal rights you have when it comes to deliveries after one customer raised a common concern.

The customer, Anna, said: ‘I’m having a consistent and annoying problem with parcel deliveries. I get a lot of deliveries to my home address as I run a small side hustle.’

‘However, my business is being impacted by what can only be described as lazy delivery people. I’m home all day every day, yet I get countless notes in my mailbox stating: “We tried to deliver but you weren’t home.” This is common with Australia Post and private couriers – they’re all doing it.’

‘More recently, I’ve been getting texts from private couriers informing me that the parcels have been taken to the post office or a shop for me to fetch – not even a note to prove they were in the area.’

406be6af929daed7caa8c9b0090413d9.jpeg
Anna detailed her concern with delivery parcels. Source: The Australian

‘I pay for delivery but I end up going around picking up my parcels from various locations which can be as much as a 50-minute walk away. Once I’ve paid for postage, is there any obligation for them to bring it to my address and try to deliver it by ringing my doorbell?’

In response to the query, Alison and Jillian reassured Anna that she certainly isn’t the only person plagued with this inconvenience. Thousands of others have spoken up about the issue online.

For those who aren't familiar with the term, 'carding' is when a delivery driver attempts to deliver a parcel to your home but instead of waiting around or trying to contact you, they simply leave a card in your mailbox stating that they couldn't deliver the package and that you'll have to come and pick it up from a post office or other location. Inconvenient, right? Some of us cannot get to the Post Office easily!

Here’s what you can do about it

Write a complaint to Australia Post or other private courier companies, setting out:

1. All of the dates you’ve been ‘carded’
2. Confirmation that you were home at the time
3. Whether the items were time sensitive, such as medication
4. How long it took you to collect the item
5. The cost of delivery
6. Any action you’re wishing for them to take (such as an apology, reassurance that the issue won’t happen again, or a refund on postage costs)

Make sure to keep a copy of your written complaint.

cfbe1770-4d99-11ed-bfeb-15b7aacc178e.jpeg
More Australian Post customers are experiencing the issue. Source: Yahoo! News

The Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman can investigate complaints about four different postal operators with zero charge, including Australia Post, StarTrack, Cheque-Mates, and D&D Mailing Services.

Alison and Jillian continued: ‘The Australian Consumer Law provides consumer guarantees which also apply to the delivery of parcels by Australia Post and private couriers, except deliveries of goods for a business, trade, profession or occupation.’

‘These consumer guarantees require that the service will be rendered with due care and skill, which includes parcels being delivered to the location where they are addressed.’

If the company doesn’t respond, take retaliatory action, or show no improvements after your complaint has been filed, then you can make an application to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for an injunction to stop the behaviour or for compensation.

You can also opt to submit an application to VCAT for issues with deliveries of goods for businesses.

‘In February 2022, Australia Post was made to pay compensation of over $3000 in a similar situation as Anna’s, where the purchaser was spending 30 minutes each week collecting items that were not delivered correctly.’ Alison and Jillian added.
Key Takeaways

• You can complain to Australia Post and private courier companies if you believe you have been 'carded' (i.e. a delivery person has left a note saying they tried to deliver but you weren't home, without actually attempting to do so).
  • The Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman can investigate complaints for free.
  • The Australian Consumer Law provides consumer guarantees which also apply to the delivery of parcels by Australia Post and private couriers.
Why is ‘carding’ becoming more common?

The postal worker’s union previously explained that the practice of ‘carding’ has become more evident due to Australia Post’s employment of subcontractors.

‘The contract model sees that workers are paid per parcel, as opposed to an hourly rate that posties receive, and this provides its incentive to potentially cut corners.’ Leroy Lazaro, the Victorian branch Secretary of the Communication Workers Union said.

But Australia Post has long defended its staff, explaining the reasons why posties may not be able to deliver parcels.

‘Our people work hard to deliver mail and parcels safely and on time, and our posties and drivers should knock at the door three times and call out before leaving a card or safe-dropping the parcel.’ a spokesperson previously said.

‘Sometimes our people will leave a card without knocking because of access or safety issues – such as an off-leash dog – and this could happen even when a customer is at home.’

This legal information should not be regarded as specific legal advice or relied upon. For further information, we highly recommend you seek personalised legal advice.

What are your thoughts about this common delivery issue? Have you ever been ‘carded’ by Australia Post or a private courier? Share your stories with us in the comments.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Apart from the "carding", I also get items dropped off at the front door without a door knock or a bell ring meaning the product could be there for hours, possibly even stolen, until by chance you happen to go out your front door to check.

Apart from the "carding", I also get items dropped off at the front door without a door knock or a bell ring meaning the product could be there for hours, possibly even stolen, until by chance you happen to go out your front door to check.
They don't need to knock unless it requires a signature. It's the same as a postman drops your letters in your mailbox and only knocks when required.
Most of us know when a parcel is expected 🙂

A few times we have been waiting for a parcel and kept checking , only to find a card saying they missed us.
Strangely we were home.......our gate makes a large noise when opened and the parcel actually never required a signature so could have been left on our verandah

Since covid we haven't had to sign for any parcels and with 4 teenagers/ young adults our house is like a post-office with the ammount of parcels delivered

A few times we have been waiting for a parcel and kept checking , only to find a card saying they missed us.
Strangely we were home.......our gate makes a large noise when opened and the parcel actually never required a signature so could have been left on our verandah

Since covid we haven't had to sign for any parcels and with 4 teenagers/ young adults our house is like a post-office with the ammount of parcels delivered
Australia post is just a lazy bunch of whingers in a monopoly. Then you get a survey asking "How did we do with your delivery". Like we had a choice who posted it??

If you're one of the many Australians who've been a victim of 'carding' when it comes to your parcel deliveries, we have some good news for you – you could be eligible for compensation.

Lawyers and sisters, Alison and Jillian Barrett from Maurice Blackburn detailed the legal rights you have when it comes to deliveries after one customer raised a common concern.

The customer, Anna, said: ‘I’m having a consistent and annoying problem with parcel deliveries. I get a lot of deliveries to my home address as I run a small side hustle.’

‘However, my business is being impacted by what can only be described as lazy delivery people. I’m home all day every day, yet I get countless notes in my mailbox stating: “We tried to deliver but you weren’t home.” This is common with Australia Post and private couriers – they’re all doing it.’

‘More recently, I’ve been getting texts from private couriers informing me that the parcels have been taken to the post office or a shop for me to fetch – not even a note to prove they were in the area.’

View attachment 7268

‘I pay for delivery but I end up going around picking up my parcels from various locations which can be as much as a 50-minute walk away. Once I’ve paid for postage, is there any obligation for them to bring it to my address and try to deliver it by ringing my doorbell?’

In response to the query, Alison and Jillian reassured Anna that she certainly isn’t the only person plagued with this inconvenience. Thousands of others have spoken up about the issue online.

For those who aren't familiar with the term, 'carding' is when a delivery driver attempts to deliver a parcel to your home but instead of waiting around or trying to contact you, they simply leave a card in your mailbox stating that they couldn't deliver the package and that you'll have to come and pick it up from a post office or other location. Inconvenient, right? Some of us cannot get to the Post Office easily!

Write a complaint to Australia Post or other private courier companies, setting out:

5. The cost of delivery
6. Any action you’re wishing for them to take (such as an apology, reassurance that the issue won’t happen again, or a refund on postage costs)

View attachment 7266

The Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman can investigate complaints about four different postal operators with zero charge, including Australia Post, StarTrack, Cheque-Mates, and D&D Mailing Services.

Alison and Jillian continued: ‘The Australian Consumer Law provides consumer guarantees which also apply to the delivery of parcels by Australia Post and private couriers, except deliveries of goods for a business, trade, profession or occupation.’

‘These consumer guarantees require that the service will be rendered with due care and skill, which includes parcels being delivered to the location where they are addressed.’

If the company doesn’t respond, take retaliatory action, or show no improvements after your complaint has been filed, then you can make an application to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for an injunction to stop the behaviour or for compensation.

You can also opt to submit an application to VCAT for issues with deliveries of goods for businesses.

‘In February 2022, Australia Post was made to pay compensation of over $3000 in a similar situation as Anna’s, where the purchaser was spending 30 minutes each week collecting items that were not delivered correctly.’ Alison and Jillian added.
Key Takeaways

• You can complain to Australia Post and private courier companies if you believe you have been 'carded' (i.e. a delivery person has left a note saying they tried to deliver but you weren't home, without actually attempting to do so).
  • The Australian Consumer Law provides consumer guarantees which also apply to the delivery of parcels by Australia Post and private couriers.

The postal worker’s union previously explained that the practice of ‘carding’ has become more evident due to Australia Post’s employment of subcontractors.

‘The contract model sees that workers are paid per parcel, as opposed to an hourly rate that posties receive, and this provides its incentive to potentially cut corners.’ Leroy Lazaro, the Victorian branch Secretary of the Communication Workers Union said.

But Australia Post has long defended its staff, explaining the reasons why posties may not be able to deliver parcels.

‘Our people work hard to deliver mail and parcels safely and on time, and our posties and drivers should knock at the door three times and call out before leaving a card or safe-dropping the parcel.’ a spokesperson previously said.

‘Sometimes our people will leave a card without knocking because of access or safety issues – such as an off-leash dog – and this could happen even when a customer is at home.’

This legal information should not be regarded as specific legal advice or relied upon. For further information, we highly recommend you seek personalised legal advice.

What are your thoughts about this common delivery issue? Have you ever been ‘carded’ by Australia Post or a private courier? Share your stories with us in the comments.
Australia Post had a novel reason for one of their 'carding' issues - the postman didn't want to leave his bike to take the (small) packet inside!! My response - why give it to him to deliver if he is too scared to move off his bike! I have been complaining for years to Aust Post - and their catch cry is - we have reported it/we are looking into it. Nothing being done.
I have photographed delivery people getting out of their vans and walking straight to the mail boxes and putting the cards in. I am also aware they the outsourcing has made this a huge problem.
We are just the little end bit of the chain - what choice do we have. So many online retailers use Aust Post - so we either stop buying online or just keep on complaining!

They don't need to knock unless it requires a signature. It's the same as a postman drops your letters in your mailbox and only knocks when required.
It’s only courteous for a delivery driver to alert the customer that a parcel has been delivered. He has to come to the door anyway to leave the parcel. It takes no extra time to knock on the door - he doesn’t have to wait for an answer. And we don’t always know when an item is to be delivered. Often we’re given a range of delivery days, and of course we just happen to be out when the thing is delivered!

Back in 1974 when I was an A.P.O.(T.D.D.) aka a Postie the only time I never delivered a parcel was when it would not be safe to carry it in the leather bag attached to the handlebars on the pushbike.
I had to blow the whistle at every delivery address to let people know I was there. You would think the dogs barking for miles around would be enough notice! LOL

Good Morning
I watched a driver from a white van just drop a card into my mail box and then drive away. The card said that no-one was home and that I could collect the item at a Post Office is about 8 hours. I lodged a complaint with Australia Post and was told that it was a driver from an associated firm who was responsible.
A complaint to that firm generated a systemic holding message but since then, NOTHING.
Farewell to service.
Brian the old bloke.

I've been in my lounge room with full window and can see from the kitchen, thus making sure I am around. No gates/fences to go through, straight to front door, yet have been carded or they've dropped parcel off and no doorbell/knock made. Only way I miss seeing them is if I go to bathroom.

I live in a small country town and obviously I and many others do a lot of internet shopping.
Most parcels come via Aust Post and of course the postie could never carry them all with him though he does deliver the smaller ones, leaving a card for the larger.
I don't actually mind picking them up, as country people are very friendly and everyone stops for a chat.
But having lived in the city I do sympathise with you folks there, after all Aust Post have vans for large deliveries.
Would highly recommend country life for retirement.

l received an item only a couple of days ago, thrown onto the verandah while l was sitting in a lounge chair just inside the door. The delivery instructions were - signature required or 2 photos of the item left. Neither was done. l went out the door when l heard it land and the delivery person was getting back into their van. Great service NOT

Reactions: Ezzy
I was told by the post office that, because I live in a house behind a house, the deliverer is not required to drive up the driveway, thereby leaving the parcel in the letterbox. So how come they drive up the driveway and put a card in my door??? I am considering moving my letterbox from the footpath in the front to up near my house. Then see what happens. Three of my neighbours who have the same house setup have their letterboxes up near their house and the postie drives up their driveway to deliver their mail. I say they are all getting too lazy. Years ago the postie used to drive up on his bike and hit his horn to let me know he was there and then he would get off his bike and come over and hand me the parcel. I have also had messages from delivery companies saying they could not deliver because no one was home and I had been home all day.

Reactions: 68autobug and Ezzy
MMy lett

View attachment 7268

5. The cost of delivery

View attachment 7266

Key Takeaways

View attachment 7268

5. The cost of delivery

View attachment 7266

Key Takeaways

I can understand people’s frustrations in this respect. However, try having two deliveries that never came although having received emails confirming they were ‘on the way’ or ‘we have this’. Both these were for close to $200 value & despite the emails I was informed by Auspost to contact the company for a refund !! Go figure???? The company involved miraculously couldn’t find either of the orders on my account in their data base… ignoring the fact that I’d received a confirmation email from them after each order & emails from Auspost that they had them. So I again approached Auspost who informed me they would reimburse me $100 for each undelivered package but I needed proof of purchase & as stated , my account records were gone…totally dodgy on both sides! Oh , by the way the company involved was Ezybuy & Rothmans, so I’d recommend not ever purchasing from them. I never will ever again! And before someone asks why I was stupid enough to re order from that group after a bad experience, the items were ordered just a few days apart, neither arrived!! A lot of money to lose for nothing, especially when you’re a pensioner!! To say I was unimpressed is putting it mildly!!!

I live in a rural area. We do get letters delivered, but not parcels - unless they are "letterbox size". We get "carded" to pick up our parcels from the post office/general store, which is about 10kms away. We don't mind doing this, as it's a great chance for a quick chat & the ladies know ours names without being told. We love it!

View attachment 7268

5. The cost of delivery

View attachment 7266

Key Takeaways

This has been happening to me for years, I don’t know how many complaints I’ve made to Australia Post but every time I ring them about this, they can pull up all my complaints I have to them about this.I live in Perth Western Australia. When you get 1 of these cards,they take your parcel back to the Bibra Lake Hub and if you don’t have a a car you would have to take a Taxi to pick up your parcel’s. You can’t ring or send this facility as according to Australia Post they don’t have one. As far as the Couriers go and I’ve seen them do this, they don’t try to deliver your parcel’s, I live In a group of Villa’s and our mail boxes are all together in the middle of of our home’s. They sit in their Van and fill out the cards and put them in your letter box without even trying too deliver them. I’ve lived here for 19 years and I would say this has been happening for at least 12 of those years. I have complained to Australia Post on many occasions and sometimes they have been able to get my parcel’s delivered. It’s beyond a joke and even though I complain too Australia Post it never changes. 9 out of 10 you end up having to go down to the hub to pick up your parcels. You have paid a delivery fee, or if someone has sent you something, they have paid a delivery fee, your parcel’s should be delivered to you.

I remember as a young boy the Postie always blew a whistle to let a householder know they had mail. In those days they rode a push bike. Now they ride a motorcycle or electric scooters or a 3 wheeler in W.A. In those days a Postie did do everything & service was better. From what l have seen from deliveries to our home & those drivers on the road, the majority of these people are new Australians. Are they the only people prepared to do this work? I have also seen 2 or 3 of these delivery vans parked in one front yard. A family business perhaps, who share the load?

Australia Post had a novel reason for one of their 'carding' issues - the postman didn't want to leave his bike to take the (small) packet inside!! My response - why give it to him to deliver if he is too scared to move off his bike! I have been complaining for years to Aust Post - and their catch cry is - we have reported it/we are looking into it. Nothing being done.
I have photographed delivery people getting out of their vans and walking straight to the mail boxes and putting the cards in. I am also aware they the outsourcing has made this a huge problem.
We are just the little end bit of the chain - what choice do we have. So many online retailers use Aust Post - so we either stop buying online or just keep on complaining!
We were told here in W.A. that Posties are not allowed to get off the bike to do a delivery but they still do this at times.

The above article stated that The Office of The Ombudsman can be contacted for complaints of this kind. Perhaps we need to complain to this Dept more often & highlight just how bad this problem is to individuals in the hope somebody listens to the majority & fixes it? Never happen you say? As a majority l believe we should try.

Parcels generally hold more value than a letter. Why do you think letters are seldom stolen?