Yes, this is goodbye: Aussie TV soap Neighbours ‘axed for good’

A few weeks ago, The UK’s Channel 5 had announced that it would no longer air the Aussie TV soap Neighbours, following the network’s decision to focus on increasing their investments in original UK dramas.

Ever since the news broke out, Fremantle Media – the production company that handles the much-loved soap – have been working tirelessly to secure funding from other networks.

Sadly, they have been unable to save the show.

After nearly four decades on television screens, Neighbours will end around August.

For the sake of the thousands of fans rallying to keep the show alive, the bosses are doing everything they can to make sure the soap goes out on a real high.

RjSu6G67aEmpMweuYsj6s0Ba-3saJTQZURttwG9VUNwQaJVuhFG3FCqLCJkl8TkpKYBnXIr3kUsRXp_h4qkMqGw__NKwxgwJMgK5CqMAMxsDTP9X-uflxmFB800gnA-laiGPFnBp

Aussie TV soap Neighbours axed for good as production company admits defeat. Credit: Fremantle.
Fremantle Media made the announcement on Thursday, stating that they haven’t been successful in their attempts at finding another channel to take home Neighbours.

The company also thanked the show’s fans for the overwhelming love and support they have been receiving.

As of today, a lot of hard work is going on behind the scenes to make the final few weeks of the iconic TV soap special for fans. And while the production is still waiting to hear back from a number of former stars, the filming of the last few episodes will reportedly start in May.

Neighbours has been a daytime TV staple in the UK for years, and the show originally aired on BBC One until 2008, before it was moved to Channel 5.

Not only is the show a hotbed of storyline gold, but it has also brought to us some of the best musical and acting talents this world has ever seen, such as Kylie Minogue, Margot Robbie, the Hemsworth brothers Chris and Liam, Delta Goodrem, Russell Crowe, Guy Pierce, and many more.

Ian Smith, who played Harold Bishop, and Peter O’Brien, who played Shane Ramsay, have confirmed that they will be returning to reprise their roles.

Despite the tragic news, thousands of fans are continuing to campaign in the hope the show will be saved. An online petition was launched, and has now racked up more than 60,000 signatures.

The show’s fans wrote: “Neighbours is more than just a TV show – it is a source of comfort and entertainment for generations of fans who have watched it for decades – it is one of the most loved TV shows in the UK and brings lots of viewers from all backgrounds to Channel 5's catalogue of channels.”

“Even Adele is a fan.”

“Channel 5 - we plead with you - please find a way to keep Neighbours on air.”

Hundreds of fans are also expressing their frustrations on social media.

“I guess all good things come to an end eventually,” tweeted one fan, and added: “I’ve not given up just yet, someone might still swoop in and save it.”

A second Twitter user wrote that this “literally the worst news” and they’re “completely gutted” to see the show go.

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
Yes, this is goodbye: Aussie TV soap Neighbours ‘axed for good’

A few weeks ago, The UK’s Channel 5 had announced that it would no longer air the Aussie TV soap Neighbours, following the network’s decision to focus on increasing their investments in original UK dramas.

Ever since the news broke out, Fremantle Media – the production company that handles the much-loved soap – have been working tirelessly to secure funding from other networks.

Sadly, they have been unable to save the show.

After nearly four decades on television screens, Neighbours will end around August.

For the sake of the thousands of fans rallying to keep the show alive, the bosses are doing everything they can to make sure the soap goes out on a real high.

RjSu6G67aEmpMweuYsj6s0Ba-3saJTQZURttwG9VUNwQaJVuhFG3FCqLCJkl8TkpKYBnXIr3kUsRXp_h4qkMqGw__NKwxgwJMgK5CqMAMxsDTP9X-uflxmFB800gnA-laiGPFnBp

Aussie TV soap Neighbours axed for good as production company admits defeat. Credit: Fremantle.
Fremantle Media made the announcement on Thursday, stating that they haven’t been successful in their attempts at finding another channel to take home Neighbours.

The company also thanked the show’s fans for the overwhelming love and support they have been receiving.

As of today, a lot of hard work is going on behind the scenes to make the final few weeks of the iconic TV soap special for fans. And while the production is still waiting to hear back from a number of former stars, the filming of the last few episodes will reportedly start in May.

Neighbours has been a daytime TV staple in the UK for years, and the show originally aired on BBC One until 2008, before it was moved to Channel 5.

Not only is the show a hotbed of storyline gold, but it has also brought to us some of the best musical and acting talents this world has ever seen, such as Kylie Minogue, Margot Robbie, the Hemsworth brothers Chris and Liam, Delta Goodrem, Russell Crowe, Guy Pierce, and many more.

Ian Smith, who played Harold Bishop, and Peter O’Brien, who played Shane Ramsay, have confirmed that they will be returning to reprise their roles.

Despite the tragic news, thousands of fans are continuing to campaign in the hope the show will be saved. An online petition was launched, and has now racked up more than 60,000 signatures.

The show’s fans wrote: “Neighbours is more than just a TV show – it is a source of comfort and entertainment for generations of fans who have watched it for decades – it is one of the most loved TV shows in the UK and brings lots of viewers from all backgrounds to Channel 5's catalogue of channels.”

“Even Adele is a fan.”

“Channel 5 - we plead with you - please find a way to keep Neighbours on air.”

Hundreds of fans are also expressing their frustrations on social media.

“I guess all good things come to an end eventually,” tweeted one fan, and added: “I’ve not given up just yet, someone might still swoop in and save it.”

A second Twitter user wrote that this “literally the worst news” and they’re “completely gutted” to see the show go.
I have watched it from the beginning,so sorry to hear that it is being axed

• Sad
Reactions: Julie1 and Ricci
Have watched when it first started i love the show it gives me a warm feeling when i watch please save the show :cry::mad:

Reactions: Julie1 and Ricci
At last we might be able to get it off the australian tv. Its only the english that have kept it going here. I watched it at the start for a few years but soon realised it had the same plots over and over and over and over...............

Ricci,
I watched Neighbours’ until it went to a sister channel of channel 10, which might have around 14yrs ago approximately.
I should’ve added, we couldn’t get the sister channel where we lived and I don’t know why or remember.
Just started raining 🌧 I’m in NSW but not where the floods were.