Worried about scams? Discover how to report and protect yourself from them!

It's no secret that in our busy, tech-driven world, scammers are continuously on the lookout for ways to exploit and deceive people.

Scams are becoming more sophisticated, and they attempt to deceive Australians using emails, text messages, or even phone calls. And with a staggering $3.1 billion lost to scammers in 2022 (up 80% from the year before), we thought it was high time to provide you with essential information to protect yourself and your loved ones from these scammers.

Fear not, dear readers! We're here to help you figure out what to do if you ever find yourself face-to-face with a potential scam and to guide you through reporting a scam in Australia.

1685428223791.png
Stay vigilant. Protect yourself from scams and financial fraud. Image by BearyBoo from Pixabay

How To Report Scams In Australia​

If you spot a scam brewing online or in your inbox, you should make your way straight to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) Scamwatch website. The information provided to the ACCC helps them keep an eye on ongoing scam trends.

Additionally, if you're a Telstra customer, the company has launched a service that allows customers to report scam text messages they receive directly to them. Just forward the dodgy text to 7226 (SCAM), and while they won't reply, your report will aid Telstra in blocking future scam texts from reaching you and others.

Help! I've Been Scammed – What Now?​

Firstly, don't blame yourself. Remember that these scams can fool even the most eagle-eyed among us. Your first step should be to report the scam on Scamwatch. However, keep in mind that they can't help you to recover any lost money or nab the scammer.

Reporting the scam to the police is crucial, and you can do this through the Australian government's ReportCyber program. This joint initiative involves multiple state and federal bodies, including the AFP and state and territory police forces. Visit the ReportCyber website to file a scam report which takes about ten minutes.

For urgent assistance, the Australian Cyber Security Hotline can be reached at 1300 292 371. And do contact your bank or financial institution right away, as they might be able to block further losses.

Finally, stop communicating with the scammer and note down any scam-related details that could provide valuable information for the authorities.

Spotting Scams Like A Pro​

Scammers are continuously adopting new tactics to deceive unsuspecting Aussies, but fear not – we've compiled some general guidelines to build up your scam-spotting skills!
  1. Never click on suspicious links, open strange attachments, or share personal information with strangers you may suspect to be scammers.
  2. Keep yourself updated on popular types of scam, such as phishing, dating, and investment frauds.
  3. Go directly to trusted individuals or institutions if you suspect someone might be impersonating them. Reach out to them via the phone numbers or email addresses you've used in the past.
  4. Learn what information official sources will request from you online or over the phone. Be cautious if they ask for details they've never asked for before.

Key Takeaways

• Australians lost $3.1 billion to scams in 2022, an increase of 80% from the year before.
  • Scams can be reported to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's Scamwatch website, or for Telstra customers, by forwarding scam text messages to 7226 (SCAM).
  • If you've fallen victim to a scam, report it to the police via the ReportCyber website and contact your bank or financial institution immediately.
  • To spot a scam, never click on suspicious links, provide personal information to unknown sources, and always double-check with official sources if you are unsure.

Empower yourself with knowledge! In the digital age, staying informed about scams and understanding how to respond is crucial for your safety and that of your loved ones. By being aware of common scam tactics and knowing how to protect your personal information, you can confidently navigate the online world.

So, what steps have you taken to stay informed and safeguard against scams? Share your strategies with us, and let's ensure a secure digital experience for all!

Sponsored
DO NOT BE RUSHED...Take your time. Contact the alleged company etc via a telephone number on their website..NOT the phone number on the email,text or whatever way they contacted you. I was approached and contacted the website of the company they were using to scam you...rather than being annoyed that I thought I was wasting their time...They said CONGRATULATIONS AND THANKS for contacting them

I nearly got caught last night, SMS sent stating they were from myGov it was a scam, they wanted my bank details. I quickly went on to MyGov scammer page and reported showing the photos, they replied straight back. So please all be diligent and aware they are out there these low life’s scammers.

I nearly got caught last night, SMS sent stating they were from myGov it was a scam, they wanted my bank details. I quickly went on to MyGov scammer page and reported showing the photos, they replied straight back. So please all be diligent and aware they are out there these low life’s scammers.
Good result..Well done

I had a scam text saying they need to talk to me about my car repairs? Interestingly, today I did take my car in for a wheel bearing replacement but i had not asked online about it.

I blocked them as the number didn't match my mechanic and a mechanic ALWAYS talks if there is an issue.

JUST THEN another phone call and hang up, I always block these numbers instantly.

what a world

It's no secret that in our busy, tech-driven world, scammers are continuously on the lookout for ways to exploit and deceive people.

Scams are becoming more sophisticated, and they attempt to deceive Australians using emails, text messages, or even phone calls. And with a staggering $3.1 billion lost to scammers in 2022 (up 80% from the year before), we thought it was high time to provide you with essential information to protect yourself and your loved ones from these scammers.

Fear not, dear readers! We're here to help you figure out what to do if you ever find yourself face-to-face with a potential scam and to guide you through reporting a scam in Australia.

View attachment 21038
Stay vigilant. Protect yourself from scams and financial fraud. Image by BearyBoo from Pixabay

If you spot a scam brewing online or in your inbox, you should make your way straight to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) Scamwatch website. The information provided to the ACCC helps them keep an eye on ongoing scam trends.

Additionally, if you're a Telstra customer, the company has launched a service that allows customers to report scam text messages they receive directly to them. Just forward the dodgy text to 7226 (SCAM), and while they won't reply, your report will aid Telstra in blocking future scam texts from reaching you and others.

Firstly, don't blame yourself. Remember that these scams can fool even the most eagle-eyed among us. Your first step should be to report the scam on Scamwatch. However, keep in mind that they can't help you to recover any lost money or nab the scammer.

Reporting the scam to the police is crucial, and you can do this through the Australian government's ReportCyber program. This joint initiative involves multiple state and federal bodies, including the AFP and state and territory police forces. Visit the ReportCyber website to file a scam report which takes about ten minutes.

For urgent assistance, the Australian Cyber Security Hotline can be reached at 1300 292 371. And do contact your bank or financial institution right away, as they might be able to block further losses.

Finally, stop communicating with the scammer and note down any scam-related details that could provide valuable information for the authorities.

Scammers are continuously adopting new tactics to deceive unsuspecting Aussies, but fear not – we've compiled some general guidelines to build up your scam-spotting skills!
  1. Never click on suspicious links, open strange attachments, or share personal information with strangers you may suspect to be scammers.
  2. Keep yourself updated on popular types of scam, such as phishing, dating, and investment frauds.
  3. Go directly to trusted individuals or institutions if you suspect someone might be impersonating them. Reach out to them via the phone numbers or email addresses you've used in the past.
  4. Learn what information official sources will request from you online or over the phone. Be cautious if they ask for details they've never asked for before.

Key Takeaways

• Australians lost $3.1 billion to scams in 2022, an increase of 80% from the year before.
  • Scams can be reported to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's Scamwatch website, or for Telstra customers, by forwarding scam text messages to 7226 (SCAM).
  • If you've fallen victim to a scam, report it to the police via the ReportCyber website and contact your bank or financial institution immediately.
  • To spot a scam, never click on suspicious links, provide personal information to unknown sources, and always double-check with official sources if you are unsure.

Empower yourself with knowledge! In the digital age, staying informed about scams and understanding how to respond is crucial for your safety and that of your loved ones. By being aware of common scam tactics and knowing how to protect your personal information, you can confidently navigate the online world.

So, what steps have you taken to stay informed and safeguard against scams? Share your strategies with us, and let's ensure a secure digital experience for all!
Hi there I regularly watch scammer pay back on you tube along with trilogy media alto American based program where they Perdue scammers to take up thee time to show their tactics and trick they use to scam people these people on these programs are skilled at dealing with scammers elaborate methods of representing big companies like Microsoft Amazon, Telstra ,McAfee the list goes on a there is 1 thing common they scam any body and everybody they don’t care how old you are or who you are , it is very educational and sometimes amusing to see them getting angry you learn where they (scammers) come from mainly India but also how they access your computer and Como it to access bank details. Education is our best wepon what to look for how to pick a scam out I would urge every to find out about these programs it will help remember one thing American English Australia many other countries we all potentially can get scammed the Australia post scam there is a JB hi fi so many going around you will be stunned at how many have been scammed and thief the ones known so many are not known this is a pandemic particularly older more vulnerable the elderly please educate yourself I would urge the SDC people that create this discount club continue to urge people and look at programmes like Scammer pay back ,trilogy media and others on YouTube

Reactions: Pink lion

View attachment 21038

Key Takeaways

Hi there I regularly watch scammer pay back on you tube along with trilogy media alto American based program where they Perdue scammers to take up thee time to show their tactics and trick they use to scam people these people on these programs are skilled at dealing with scammers elaborate methods of representing big companies like Microsoft Amazon, Telstra ,McAfee the list goes on a there is 1 thing common they scam any body and everybody they don’t care how old you are or who you are , it is very educational and sometimes amusing to see them getting angry you learn where they (scammers) come from mainly India but also how they access your computer and Como it to access bank details. Education is our best wepon what to look for how to pick a scam out I would urge every to find out about these programs it will help remember one thing American English Australia many other countries we all potentially can get scammed the Australia post scam there is a JB hi fi so many going around you will be stunned at how many have been scammed and thief the ones known so many are not known this is a pandemic particularly older more vulnerable the elderly please educate yourself I would urge the SDC people that create this discount club continue to urge people and look at programmes like Scammer pay back ,trilogy media and others on YouTube
Good advice.

These you need to find ,in the last 20 mis I have received
Me too I still recall when scammers pretending to be with the IRS phoned a local sheriffs department. ha ha ha
that would have been funny Peronist on scammer pay bask is brilliant

Attachments

• IMG_1860.png
    IMG_1860.png
    418.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1861.png
    IMG_1861.png
    433.6 KB · Views: 0
My husband is practising his telephone answering voice for scammers. Today I rang him and this voice I didn’t recognise answered, it sounded like yogi bear was at my house. He told me he used that voice just in case I was a scammer. I had to laugh.

Oh my goodness, have you never heard of full stops? I’m sorry, but your writing is so hard to make sense of because it’s not punctuated.

View attachment 21038

Key Takeaways

i do not think most of us on this site lead busy lives. we spend it on here reading your notes of interest. thanks for that.

lead busy lives

Reactions: Beeno & Deb
I found it helpful advice to offer. To have punctuation within a sentence, really is helpful when people read, especially when a lot of information is being presented.

Back in 1968, I was told angrily, by the principal, that I had the lowest mark ever recorded by a student in Applecross Senior high schools 25 years prior history. And yet even I recognized the value of punctuation. Some things really are important.

Like yesterday, when a middle-aged person totally absorbed on her phone, hurriedly rushed directly in front of my vehicle, while I was exiting Woolworths car park. She was very annoyed and slapped my hood because it scared her.

It scared me too; she came out of nowhere.

I braked so she could scurry on, her phone pressed into her ear. A lot of people are choosing not to pay attention to things these days.

• Love
Reactions: Bridgit
I had a scam text saying they need to talk to me about my car repairs? Interestingly, today I did take my car in for a wheel bearing replacement but i had not asked online about it.

I blocked them as the number didn't match my mechanic and a mechanic ALWAYS talks if there is an issue.

JUST THEN another phone call and hang up, I always block these numbers instantly.

what a world
It’s disgusting what these scammers are doing!!!!!! Have to be very careful and diligent. You’re doing the right things. Take care.