Worker loses more than $100,000 superannuation fund: ‘Do I have to work till I die?’

As we navigate the complexities of the digital age, the convenience of managing our finances online comes with a stark warning: cybercriminals are on the prowl, and your superannuation could be their next target.

This cautionary tale from Melbourne serves as a chilling reminder to all of us, especially those who have spent a lifetime building their nest eggs.

Aaron Willcox was preparing to file his tax return when he encountered an unexpected hurdle: he couldn't log into his Australian Taxation Office (ATO) account. This was a red flag for fraudulent activity, which the ATO had detected.

But the real shock came when Willcox discovered that not only had someone accessed his account, but they had also rerouted hundreds of dollars to different bank accounts and drained his entire superannuation fund of over $100,000.

shutterstock_2249593025.jpg
Aaron Wilcox was devastated to lose his $100,000 superannuation fund. Credit: Shutterstock

‘This happened in the last three or six months...and those bank accounts didn't belong to me,’ Wilcox said.

Willcox mentioned that the ATO assisted him in resetting his account and requested security documents for identity verification.

After entering his superannuation details, the system indicated that his account ‘didn’t exist’.

He promptly accessed his Hostplus account and found that his entire superannuation savings had been emptied.

‘There was nothing there except for four documents, and those documents outlined how, on the 16th of June, someone had decided to roll over my super into another super fund and then close my account,’ he said.

He said that he considered himself ‘tech savvy’ and takes precautions to safeguard his accounts and passwords. He also avoids clicking on any link unless he knows it’s 100 per cent sure.

The violation of Willcox's financial security is a stark reminder of the vulnerability we all face in an era where identity theft and cyber scams are rampant.

'I feel violated and absolutely devastated,' he expressed.

'What does retirement mean now? Do I have to start again? Do I have to work till I die?'

The ATO and Hostplus are investigating the breach, but in the meantime, Willcox faces uncertainty about the 'waiting game' for a resolution.

This incident is not isolated, and consumer group CHOICE has pointed out that not all super funds thoroughly check IDs, ‘even for high-risk actions like moving super to a new fund’.

Aware Super's Chief Operating Officer, Jo Brennan, warned that hacking attempts on super accounts are ‘one of the most rapidly emerging threats to members’.

To combat this, she recommended setting up multi-factor authentication. This security process requires more than one method of authentication to verify the user's identity before granting access to an account.

In Australia, there are three main types of superannuation scams to be aware of:
  1. Scammers may entice account holders with promises of high returns, convincing them to transfer their super.
  2. Criminals can persuade individuals to withdraw their super early illegally, charging high fees or stealing personal information for further fraudulent activities.
  3. Identity theft, where hackers access a person's account without their knowledge and steal money or personal information.
If you find yourself a victim of superannuation fraud and the investigation doesn't resolve in your favour, you can lodge a formal complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).

AFCA can compel a super fund to repay you if the fund is found liable for the loss.

In 2023, Australians lost a staggering $2.7 billion to scams, with those over 65 being the hardest-hit demographic.

Investment scams topped the list, followed by remote access and romance scams. Scamwatch advises vigilance against scenarios that seem too good to be true, pressure to act quickly, unusual payment requests, and unsolicited help or money requests.

Tip
If you suspect you've been scammed, act immediately:
  • Contact your bank to halt transactions and prevent further losses.
  • Report to Scamwatch here or contact IDCARE to ‘reduce the harm they experience from the compromise and misuse of their identity information by providing effective response and mitigation’.
  • Talk to a financial counsellor or contact Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or here for an online chat or Lifeline for crisis support online here or on 13 11 14.
Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne man discovered that his ATO and superannuation accounts had been compromised, with over $100,000 stolen from his super fund.
  • He found that fraudulent activity had taken place involving changing bank details in his ATO account and rolling over his superannuation into a new fund without his consent.
  • The article highlights the emerging threat of superannuation account hacking and the importance of setting up multi-factor authentication to protect personal financial information.
  • If an investigation into superannuation fraud is unresolved, victims can lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA), which has the power to make super funds repay losses if they are found liable.
Have you or someone you know encountered a superannuation scam? What are your tips to safeguard yourself from these scams? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
If any ''Major" changes out of the ordinary are being done on any investment, a signal shud be activated by the financial company in question where it's bought to their immediate attention. The company shud then contact the investor to verify the authenticity of the subject transaction before that particular transaction is completed.

If & when I'm going to do anything out of the ordinary with our investments, I always contact our institution to inform them of the same. Just as a precautionary measure.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if our government was behind many of these digital scams. They're always looking for ways to get our money...
I agree, biggest scammers of the lot!
Starting to seem like the only way to get ahead these times is not by being hard working & honest (as that's how we get screwed over), but to become a scammer ourselves as there is little chance of being caughr & little or no retribution or consequences if caught anyways! And worse still it seems no one else except the victim actually cares (banks or govt rerely help victims it seems)
A lot to be said for going back to pre digital times! No matter how careful we are these days it's not a matter of IF we get scammed/robbed, but WHEN, no matter how tech savvy we are

Reactions: Gsr
It wouldn't surprise me at all if our government was behind many of these digital scams. They're always looking for ways to get our money...
I agree, biggest scammers of the lot!
Starting to seem like the only way to get ahead these times is not by being hard working & honest (as that's how we get screwed over), but to become a scammer ourselves as there is little chance of being caughr & little or no retribution or consequences if caught anyways! And worse still it seems no one else except the victim actually cares (banks or govt rerely help victims it seems)
A lot to be said for going back to pre digital times! No matter how careful we are these days it's not a matter of IF we get scammed/robbed, but WHEN, no matter how tech savvy we are

I agree that govt departments find every way they can to pay us as little as they possibly can, but it's a bit of a stretch to believe they are stealing money from people's super funds.
I'll leave that one up to the conspiracy theorists.
😵‍💫

Last edited:
for my super, to make any withdrawal you require JP signature confirming your identity with your license photo on sighting you, if you don't go in in person. To get in they send code as well. What else can one do?

Yet one more that blames the government!!!

My sister has been trying to get a payment from her super fund, which is Aware super, since just after Christmas. The first time the money was released it supposedly went into the wrong account. Super fund blamed her, even though she could prove she had supplied the right account number, which they had on record anyway, from previous withdrawals. After a lot of phone calls they made another payment, but they put it into the wrong account again, and again had the gall to blame my sister. This has been an ongoing saga, she has had legal aid involved sending letters of demand, she has contacted her local pollie, no assistance there, she has phoned weekly trying to get it sorted, only to be told a lot of the time there is no one available to assist with her enquiry. She went into her local office and talked to the manager who rang the Sydney office and assured her the money would be in her account within a few days. That was in early May, she still hasn’t received any money. She still rings weekly only to keep getting fobbed off. I have now given her the details of the Australian Financial Assistance Corporation who handle complaints about super funds and she is in the process of putting in an official complaint about Aware. Hopefully this will achieve more results. There is something suspicious going on with Aware and my sisters super, hopefully they are dealt with severely by the AFAC.

My sister has been trying to get a payment from her super fund, which is Aware super, since just after Christmas. The first time the money was released it supposedly went into the wrong account. Super fund blamed her, even though she could prove she had supplied the right account number, which they had on record anyway, from previous withdrawals. After a lot of phone calls they made another payment, but they put it into the wrong account again, and again had the gall to blame my sister. This has been an ongoing saga, she has had legal aid involved sending letters of demand, she has contacted her local pollie, no assistance there, she has phoned weekly trying to get it sorted, only to be told a lot of the time there is no one available to assist with her enquiry. She went into her local office and talked to the manager who rang the Sydney office and assured her the money would be in her account within a few days. That was in early May, she still hasn’t received any money. She still rings weekly only to keep getting fobbed off. I have now given her the details of the Australian Financial Assistance Corporation who handle complaints about super funds and she is in the process of putting in an official complaint about Aware. Hopefully this will achieve more results. There is something suspicious going on with Aware and my sisters super, hopefully they are dealt with severely by the AFAC.
Your sister should have made a TikTok video.

Seems to be the preferred way of being heard.... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Your sister should have made a TikTok video.

Seems to be the preferred way of being heard.... :ROFLMAO:
What a good idea, a TikTok video showing her in the falling down, rat infested shed she lives in bemoaning the fact that there is nothing good in her life except her son. And that there is no one willing to help her climb out of her poverty stricken existence, from her super fund, local pollie, housing mobs who aren’t interested in helping her find a house, Centrelink who won’t put her on a disability pension even though she has trouble mobilising and some days she is in bed as she is in too much pain to mobilise, and despite numerous doctors certificates stating this centrelink don’t give a stuff. All I can say is it is not a life anyone should have to be living in Australia.