Woolworths unveils new cardboard cartons and in-store veggie gardens - Is this the future of shopping?

In the last decade, we’ve seen a major shift in the way businesses operate. With the challenges of climate change and the need for sustainable, eco-friendly operations, many businesses have had to adapt their methods to stay afloat.

This has led to a more sustainable and environmentally-conscious business model for many companies across a variety of industries.

As the world becomes more aware of the environmental impact of human activity, consumers are increasingly demanding that businesses take steps to reduce their carbon footprint. This has led to a rise in eco-friendly practices such as recycling, using renewable energy, and reducing waste.

Many businesses have also started to offset their carbon emissions by planting trees or investing in other green initiatives.

Keeping this in mind, one supermarket chain is taking sustainable shopping to the next level, and people are loving it!

Woolworths has partnered with Australian AgTech innovation InvertiGro to create urban gardens in three of its stores across Sydney.

The Urban Garden is a vertical herb garden that grows a variety of herbs in-store before bunches are picked and sold in biodegradable packaging.

Some of the herbs that are being grown at InvertiGro's rural-scale urban indoor farm in Rosebery, which is located less than two kilometres from Woolworths Metro Park Sydney, include basil, mint, coriander, and parsley.

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed the move to news.com.au.

'The new vertical herb gardens in our Double Bay Metro and Park Sydney Metro stores use a special cabinet within the produce section to grow herbs in the very place our customers buy them – maximising freshness and reducing food miles,' the representative said.

The programme, which began back in May, has already acquired international recognition from social media users who wish their local grocery stores had comparable features.

One user wrote: 'Wish more Woolworths around the country were taking these steps not in the future but now.'

'That’s fantastic!!!! We need this in every store in the UK! This is the best idea you’ll ever see,' another said.

eGAkV8obcjU-pjptLz-LhlV1sr_AETxFvOBcUm38A0JI6eEPbSs9jeXYdlyvnSj5Cf2zr6iRe47OurpmNsP-dAC39ZIQatjL3SAF9rRft8kBjrcLYdpEBcI63fz-zEEaNEHQYfeWnnVn_m93_acGnmVp_IWRQOHRZ3yhaZb4IHvc7ayvUlQyTu_x

The in-store garden allows the store to retail fresh herbs to its customers. Credit: news.com.au.

Aside from the in-store garden, Woolies also introduced more sustainable measures including no longer plastic-wrapping bread, utilising refrigerators with doors to save electricity, and putting goods in bulk food boxes so that customers can purchase the quantity they need to reduce food waste.

Woolworths Group has already stated in its Sustainability Plan 2025 that it strives to achieve 100% green electricity, 100% sustainable packaging for all of its Own Brand products, and 0% food waste to landfill by the end of the next three years.

In addition, Woolworths has reduced its use of plastic over the previous four years by about 9,000 tonnes by converting some packaging to recyclable materials.

Many customers are calling on Woolworths to expand the program.

While Woolworths declined to disclose when the new initiatives will be implemented in more stores, a spokesperson said that further eco-friendly innovations are still in the works.

The representative said: 'Our customers want us to help them shop more sustainably. We’re growing greener across our stores by reducing plastic packaging, phasing out plastic shopping bags, saving food waste and switching to green electricity.'

'We’re trialling a range of sustainable innovations in select stores to test which resonate with customers and have the potential to make their weekly grocery shop better for the environment.'

I74l-dchSRNvk397YCeNCvguL9MUo1fQV_tZziCHuD39B_8vYOi7zuJwFFOOfsRQS13sdi_cNgxTHTi4EQXQ4ecuM5aDeFTQBfxBs3x8VytoTNM8vDn1aEida30dYq1D7PG3o_dLRoZusOvA51IgScWKQyHuBuUbu_0pqriS61rUbZd-jV-IYMD6

Two of the new environmentally friendly features being introduced in a few select stores include plastic-free packaging for freshly baked bread and refill stations for cleaning supplies. Credit: Instagram / @banish.au.

Additionally, the company's reusable plastic bags priced at 15 and 45 cents will be phased out by the end of June next year as a demonstration of its commitment to minimising waste.

It's one of many ways that Woolworths is upholding its pledge to 'grow greener' and living up to its reputation as the leader in fresh food, according to Natalie Davis, managing director of Woolworths Supermarkets.

She said: 'Customers expect us to lead on sustainability, and this is one way we are growing greener by reducing plastic and ensuring the regular trip to your local Woolworths or BIG W is having less impact on the environment.'

Many retailers will continue to use plastic produce bags until a more environmentally friendly solution can be implemented.

In South Australia, compostable bags are presently in use, while several Sydney retailers are testing cardboard boxes.

The challenges of climate change have also led to a change in the way businesses operate. With extreme weather becoming more common, businesses have had to adapt their practices to protect their employees and customers.

The need for sustainable, eco-friendly operations has also led to a change in the way businesses think about their supply chains. In the past, businesses often sourced their materials from the cheapest supplier regardless of the environmental impact.

However, now businesses are increasingly looking for suppliers who use sustainable practices. This shift has led to a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly supply chain for many businesses.

We can only hope that other supermarkets will follow suit and start implementing similar initiatives. How about you? Do you think the other businesses should adopt the same model?

Sponsored
I remember years ago we used to take our containers to the store to be filled with cleaning solutions and all manner of liquids, even including sherry! We also had a deposit and exchange deal with containers for dried goods, flour, sugar etc. There was an exchange deal for 4ltr tubs of dog food and dog biscuits were sold in paper sacks, why can we not go back to those days? ;)

Simply brilliant, good for you Woolworth for your initiative
Come on Coles and all other supermarkets pull your socks up
🤗 excellent full marks to InvertiGro's, well done, good luck and keep on growing

I remember years ago we used to take our containers to the store to be filled with cleaning solutions and all manner of liquids, even including sherry! We also had a deposit and exchange deal with containers for dried goods, flour, sugar etc. There was an exchange deal for 4ltr tubs of dog food and dog biscuits were sold in paper sacks, why can we not go back to those days? ;)
I cannot say I remember any of that, maybe before it was before I became responsible for the weekly shopping, or possibly it happened in a different State, I am in WA? the whole Idea sounds great and would go a long way towards reducing Landfill which I am always conscious of.

I cannot say I remember any of that, maybe before it was before I became responsible for the weekly shopping, or possibly it happened in a different State, I am in WA? the whole Idea sounds great and would go a long way towards reducing Landfill which I am always conscious of.
The dog food came from a factory in Wanneroo, can't remember the name but they used to deliver, you put the empty container/s and money out and they left full ones. The dogfood could also be bought at IGA stores. We left WA 12 years ago and it was still available then. The dry goods store was also in Wanneroo.

Reactions: Ezzy and RTS
The dog food came from a factory in Wanneroo, can't remember the name but they used to deliver, you put the empty container/s and money out and they left full ones. The dogfood could also be bought at IGA stores. We left WA 12 years ago and it was still available then. The dry goods store was also in Wanneroo.
Thanks for that, I do have a very vague recollection of hearing about that store in Wanneroo, however as an Ex Perthite you would no doubt remember the huge divide between North and South of the river , before moving into the country I always lived south and would only venture North for day trips, never for the weekly shopping, very silly attitude I know but I was just as silly as everyone else, Like all those who lived South the North was like a foreign country to me, I had no idea where anything was although did have a vague idea of where each suburb was located. I was overjoyed one day that I actually managed to find the only Ikea Store in WA all on my own !!

Reactions: Ezzy, RTS and Ricci
Thanks for that, I do have a very vague recollection of hearing about that store in Wanneroo, however as an Ex Perthite you would no doubt remember the huge divide between North and South of the river , before moving into the country I always lived south and would only venture North for day trips, never for the weekly shopping, very silly attitude I know but I was just as silly as everyone else, Like all those who lived South the North was like a foreign country to me, I had no idea where anything was although did have a vague idea of where each suburb was located. I was overjoyed one day that I actually managed to find the only Ikea Store in WA all on my own !!
We lived North, the South was uncharted territory, somewhere we drove through to get to Mandurah and all points further!!:D

Reactions: Ezzy, RTS and Gaena
In the last decade, we’ve seen a major shift in the way businesses operate. With the challenges of climate change and the need for sustainable, eco-friendly operations, many businesses have had to adapt their methods to stay afloat.

This has led to a more sustainable and environmentally-conscious business model for many companies across a variety of industries.

As the world becomes more aware of the environmental impact of human activity, consumers are increasingly demanding that businesses take steps to reduce their carbon footprint. This has led to a rise in eco-friendly practices such as recycling, using renewable energy, and reducing waste.

Many businesses have also started to offset their carbon emissions by planting trees or investing in other green initiatives.

Keeping this in mind, one supermarket chain is taking sustainable shopping to the next level, and people are loving it!

Woolworths has partnered with Australian AgTech innovation InvertiGro to create urban gardens in three of its stores across Sydney.

The Urban Garden is a vertical herb garden that grows a variety of herbs in-store before bunches are picked and sold in biodegradable packaging.

Some of the herbs that are being grown at InvertiGro's rural-scale urban indoor farm in Rosebery, which is located less than two kilometres from Woolworths Metro Park Sydney, include basil, mint, coriander, and parsley.

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed the move to news.com.au.

'The new vertical herb gardens in our Double Bay Metro and Park Sydney Metro stores use a special cabinet within the produce section to grow herbs in the very place our customers buy them – maximising freshness and reducing food miles,' the representative said.

The programme, which began back in May, has already acquired international recognition from social media users who wish their local grocery stores had comparable features.

One user wrote: 'Wish more Woolworths around the country were taking these steps not in the future but now.'

'That’s fantastic!!!! We need this in every store in the UK! This is the best idea you’ll ever see,' another said.

eGAkV8obcjU-pjptLz-LhlV1sr_AETxFvOBcUm38A0JI6eEPbSs9jeXYdlyvnSj5Cf2zr6iRe47OurpmNsP-dAC39ZIQatjL3SAF9rRft8kBjrcLYdpEBcI63fz-zEEaNEHQYfeWnnVn_m93_acGnmVp_IWRQOHRZ3yhaZb4IHvc7ayvUlQyTu_x

The in-store garden allows the store to retail fresh herbs to its customers. Credit: news.com.au.

Aside from the in-store garden, Woolies also introduced more sustainable measures including no longer plastic-wrapping bread, utilising refrigerators with doors to save electricity, and putting goods in bulk food boxes so that customers can purchase the quantity they need to reduce food waste.

Woolworths Group has already stated in its Sustainability Plan 2025 that it strives to achieve 100% green electricity, 100% sustainable packaging for all of its Own Brand products, and 0% food waste to landfill by the end of the next three years.

In addition, Woolworths has reduced its use of plastic over the previous four years by about 9,000 tonnes by converting some packaging to recyclable materials.

Many customers are calling on Woolworths to expand the program.

While Woolworths declined to disclose when the new initiatives will be implemented in more stores, a spokesperson said that further eco-friendly innovations are still in the works.

The representative said: 'Our customers want us to help them shop more sustainably. We’re growing greener across our stores by reducing plastic packaging, phasing out plastic shopping bags, saving food waste and switching to green electricity.'

'We’re trialling a range of sustainable innovations in select stores to test which resonate with customers and have the potential to make their weekly grocery shop better for the environment.'

I74l-dchSRNvk397YCeNCvguL9MUo1fQV_tZziCHuD39B_8vYOi7zuJwFFOOfsRQS13sdi_cNgxTHTi4EQXQ4ecuM5aDeFTQBfxBs3x8VytoTNM8vDn1aEida30dYq1D7PG3o_dLRoZusOvA51IgScWKQyHuBuUbu_0pqriS61rUbZd-jV-IYMD6

Two of the new environmentally friendly features being introduced in a few select stores include plastic-free packaging for freshly baked bread and refill stations for cleaning supplies. Credit: Instagram / @banish.au.

Additionally, the company's reusable plastic bags priced at 15 and 45 cents will be phased out by the end of June next year as a demonstration of its commitment to minimising waste.

It's one of many ways that Woolworths is upholding its pledge to 'grow greener' and living up to its reputation as the leader in fresh food, according to Natalie Davis, managing director of Woolworths Supermarkets.

She said: 'Customers expect us to lead on sustainability, and this is one way we are growing greener by reducing plastic and ensuring the regular trip to your local Woolworths or BIG W is having less impact on the environment.'

Many retailers will continue to use plastic produce bags until a more environmentally friendly solution can be implemented.

In South Australia, compostable bags are presently in use, while several Sydney retailers are testing cardboard boxes.

The challenges of climate change have also led to a change in the way businesses operate. With extreme weather becoming more common, businesses have had to adapt their practices to protect their employees and customers.

The need for sustainable, eco-friendly operations has also led to a change in the way businesses think about their supply chains. In the past, businesses often sourced their materials from the cheapest supplier regardless of the environmental impact.

However, now businesses are increasingly looking for suppliers who use sustainable practices. This shift has led to a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly supply chain for many businesses.

We can only hope that other supermarkets will follow suit and start implementing similar initiatives. How about you? Do you think the other businesses should adopt the same model?

I take my hat off to WW in their initiatives which will definitely go a long way to help with greening Oz. The sooner these are extended to other supermarkets in Aust. the better. I look forward to these coming to W.A. We already have paper bags at the store we shop at but other improvements are welcomed.

For this to be of benefit to every person from today into the future it will need co-operation of every person & business & everywhere to get into the habit of recycling. Once started this becomes automatic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
I am a '52 Model & l used to go to the Deli around the corner when l was about 5 or 6 yo perhaps ( in Belmont W.A ) & buy loose biscuits. Mr Downs would take me down to the back of the shop where there were bins approx 40 X 40 X 40 cm ( from memory ) with hinged lids & dependant on what was needed, would go from bin to bin picking out & counting biscuits & place them in brown paper bags. There were iced top biscuits l remember, a favourite at the time. We also bought Kero Kero & our occasional treat, a 2 & 6d brick of trio icecream.

My aunty in East Fremantle used to send my cousins to the local BP garage with a plastic container to buy washing-up liquid. There was a time when we could get a refill on Turps too.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci