Woolworths under fire for this 'frustrating' self-service checkout feature

Shopping for groceries is a part of the weekly routine of many Aussies.

However, the standard experience we’ve all become accustomed to is quickly changing, thanks to industry-leading technology designed to reduce errors in scanning products, improve the speed at the checkout, and of course, prevent theft.

A recent Reddit post posed the question: ‘Anyone else frustrated with the Woolies self-checkouts?’ It quickly sparked a lively discussion on the technology Woolworths has in place across their stores.

‘The last few times I've been to Woolies my self-checkout has been locked and required a staff member to come over and approve something I've entered because their AI algorithm has decided it doesn't look like it should,’ the original poster (OP) said.

‘If this happened occasionally I'd understand, but it seems to (happen) at least once every time I shop and I have to compete with a quarter of the other self-serve checkouts for the attention of the one busy staff member.’

Woolies has introduced weighing scales at self-checkouts as a means to ensure the estimated weight of products scanned at the counters matches what customers are taking away.

Screenshot_4.png
Woolworths’ self-checkouts have been the subject of many customer complaints. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/dongtranhuynh

Of course, there are also security cameras they’ve installed just to keep an extra eye on shoppers who might be tempted to cheat the self-checkout system Woolies has been hard at work to install.

While most shoppers do the right thing, there are a few who think they can get away with a sneaky shoplifting attempt.

But as Woolies tries its best to catch hot-handed shoppers, it unwittingly places strain on shoppers who just want their grocery errands done and over with.

‘I know (the self-checkout errors) will reduce as the software learns but I'm sick of training corporations’ AI algorithms for them,’ the poster added out of frustration.

Their sentiments struck a chord with many users who agreed.

‘The process could be a lot more streamlined and user-friendly,’ the top-rated comment read.

‘I think there are too many prompts. I don’t want to donate, and I don’t want a free toy. I just want to get out of there with my overpriced items ASAP.’

‘It’s also annoying when you’ve scanned correctly and placed the item in the bag, but the machine isn’t happy with the weight of it, so (Woolies staff) have to come over and approve of it.’

pexels-photo-9070106.jpg
Many stores have introduced new technologies to improve the Aussie grocery shopping experience, but not all things have gone over smoothly. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Tara Clark

Another user emphatically shared their thoughts on Woolies’ security cameras.

‘There’s dystopian facial recognition cameras everywhere and if there’s actually an attendant, they’re standing 30cm behind you in case you don’t click the right bananas option,’ they said.

‘No Ms Attendant, I’m not purposefully trying to defraud Woolworths…17 cents…’

‘I’ve had it lock me out and make me wait for staff because I had the nerve to leave empty bags hanging off the back of my trolley,’ a third added.

And a fourth one voiced a slightly different but nonetheless relatable criticism of Woolies’ self-checkouts: ‘Not much room to operate. Also, I hate the camera that reflects my own image back to me on the screen. It’s horrible.’

Meanwhile, Woolworths has insisted that their Scan Assist technology does not lock customers out.

‘If (an error in scanning) occurs, a short video highlights the affected product and customers then have the opportunity to re-scan it,' they said.

'While most customers do the right thing at our self-serve checkouts, we’re all busy and mistakes can easily happen.'

Woolworths also said it will ‘listen closely’ to feedback about their self-service checkouts.

In related news, Woolworths introduced yet another new feature that has some concerned about their privacy — and some rethinking how we treat store workers.

So, what do you think of this story? Have you also been inconvenienced at a self-checkout in a similar way as the poster?

Tell us your thoughts and experiences below!

Sponsored
I do not use these selfserve checkouts, they only do people out of jobs.
Take them out and put a few more staff operated checkouts in and give some people a job.
At least if there was an error the staff member is there to fix it, you don't have to wait for someone!

However, the standard experience we’ve all become accustomed to is quickly changing, thanks to industry-leading technology designed to reduce errors in scanning products, improve the speed at the checkout, and of course, prevent theft.

A recent Reddit post posed the question: ‘Anyone else frustrated with the Woolies self-checkouts?’ It quickly sparked a lively discussion on the technology Woolworths has in place across their stores.

‘The last few times I've been to Woolies my self-checkout has been locked and required a staff member to come over and approve something I've entered because their AI algorithm has decided it doesn't look like it should,’ the original poster (OP) said.

‘If this happened occasionally I'd understand, but it seems to (happen) at least once every time I shop and I have to compete with a quarter of the other self-serve checkouts for the attention of the one busy staff member.’

Woolies has introduced weighing scales at self-checkouts as a means to ensure the estimated weight of products scanned at the counters matches what customers are taking away.

View attachment 11209
Woolworths’ self-checkouts have been the subject of many customer complaints. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/dongtranhuynh

Of course, there are also security cameras they’ve installed just to keep an extra eye on shoppers who might be tempted to cheat the self-checkout system Woolies has been hard at work to install.

While most shoppers do the right thing, there are a few who think they can get away with a sneaky shoplifting attempt.

But as Woolies tries its best to catch hot-handed shoppers, it unwittingly places strain on shoppers who just want their grocery errands done and over with.

‘I know (the self-checkout errors) will reduce as the software learns but I'm sick of training corporations’ AI algorithms for them,’ the poster added out of frustration.

‘The process could be a lot more streamlined and user-friendly,’ the top-rated comment read.

‘I think there are too many prompts. I don’t want to donate, and I don’t want a free toy. I just want to get out of there with my overpriced items ASAP.’

‘It’s also annoying when you’ve scanned correctly and placed the item in the bag, but the machine isn’t happy with the weight of it, so (Woolies staff) have to come over and approve of it.’

View attachment 11210
Many stores have introduced new technologies to improve the Aussie grocery shopping experience, but not all things have gone over smoothly. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Tara Clark

‘There’s dystopian facial recognition cameras everywhere and if there’s actually an attendant, they’re standing 30cm behind you in case you don’t click the right bananas option,’ they said.

‘I’ve had it lock me out and make me wait for staff because I had the nerve to leave empty bags hanging off the back of my trolley,’ a third added.

And a fourth one voiced a slightly different but nonetheless relatable criticism of Woolies’ self-checkouts: ‘Not much room to operate. Also, I hate the camera that reflects my own image back to me on the screen. It’s horrible.’

Meanwhile, Woolworths has insisted that their Scan Assist technology does not lock customers out.

‘If (an error in scanning) occurs, a short video highlights the affected product and customers then have the opportunity to re-scan it,' they said.

'While most customers do the right thing at our self-serve checkouts, we’re all busy and mistakes can easily happen.'

Woolworths also said it will ‘listen closely’ to feedback about their self-service checkouts.

In related news, Woolworths introduced yet another new feature that has some concerned about their privacy — and some rethinking how we treat store workers.

So, what do you think of this story? Have you also been inconvenienced at a self-checkout in a similar way as the poster?

And the solution is so bloody SIMPLE..... DONT BLOODY USE SELF CHECKOUT.... THEY DONT PAY YOU TO DO THE JOB.....These things are just to increase profits

View attachment 11209

View attachment 11210

One very easy method to beat this problem, shop elsewhere.

Our local Coles has now reduced their staff checkouts to two and increasing the area for self service....refuse to use them, hence stop shopping there as the queue starts getting too long for the service. It seems Woolworths is going the same way......To me all it is doing is inconveniencing customers and putting more people out of work.

Yesterday, I was at Aldi & the new self serve checkouts were open for anybody game enough to try.
Six in the middle, with 2 manned check outs on either side. I noticed that this set up is for the easier access for check out staff to stop serving their customer and attend to glitches on the self serve checkouts. Then return to finish scanning their customer's items.

This has been doing the Aussie internet circuit :ROFLMAO:

Thumbs down to Coles
👎🏻
👎🏻
👎🏻

"I got kicked out of Coles Christmas party because some Karen said I don’t work there. Well Karen I’ve been using the self-serve checkout for the last 2 years…. I deserve to go to the staff Christmas party."

View attachment 11209

View attachment 11210

Dont forget, if everyone on the forum refused to go to a self-checkout then Woolies and the other supermarkets would have to emply more people. So dont complain about using whatever about self service if you are doing their job for them.

View attachment 11209

View attachment 11210

I won't use them

View attachment 11209

View attachment 11210

I have shopped in Coles the last couple of time for convenience. They have gone one step further and have self-serve checkouts for full trolley shops. The only check out with a person on it is the express lane and that is because this is where they sell the cigarettes. I stubbornly stood at the full service checkout within sight of a staff member who came over and asked if I needed help. He very kindly put my shopping through with a smile but pointed out the self-serve checkouts were always open. I smiled back and politely pointed out that when they start giving me staff discount for doing the staff work for them I would use them until then I will keep him employed by being served in person. To which he replied
"Thank you".

View attachment 11209

View attachment 11210

Simple, don't use self checkouts

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
Just a point: staff are trained so they can operated the checkouts, but they expect the general public to use them without being trained. Wait, what???
I refuse to use self checkouts too.
Re banks and using ATMs: Banks many years ago told customers to go outside and use the ATMs if they only want cash. Don't blame us for using the machines.

I do not use these selfserve checkouts, they only do people out of jobs.
Take them out and put a few more staff operated checkouts in and give some people a job.
At least if there was an error the staff member is there to fix it, you don't have to wait for someone!
I agree with every one else. I do not use them. Give people a job.

View attachment 11209

View attachment 11210

Same old nonsense again🙄

If all these people have these alleged problems, do they actually tell the company or just go on social media to show how clever they are?

There's nothing wrong with self service. Much quicker. Pack your own goods. Don't need to speak to any staff. And it's about time all their stores had Scan&Go so you can just scan everything as you buy it, pay for it then leave through a dedicated checkout. Much better👍

I haven't read the other comments, but I assume it's the usual stupid responses claiming they'll never use self check out as they're not paid by them, they don't work there and people will be out of a job. 🙄 So what?

I couldn't care less how many staff a shop employs or wants to make redundant. It's absolutely nothing to do with me or anyone else. We're not in charge of the company finances or their HR departments so have no say in what they want to do. They're all in business to make a profit. They're not charities.

Lucky people on here don't run big businesses. They'll just employ loads more people then they need and just have them hanging around all day even on a quiet day. They'll soon go bust.😕 I just want it so I can shop quicker.