Woolworths trials new self-serve checkouts

Woolworths, one of Australia's leading supermarket chains, is known for its attempts to improve customer convenience.

In a recent move to enhance the shopping experience, the company has introduced a new system at self-serve checkouts.

In this system, Woolworths has marked Card-Only checkouts in a sleek grey colour, while Cash and Card tills are highlighted in bright green.

This simple yet effective change allows customers to quickly identify their preferred checkout option, saving them time and potential frustration.

compressed-shutterstock_1089358634.jpeg
Woolworths unveiled its new colour-coding system for customers to identify their checkout options easily. Credit: Shutterstock

The colour-coded checkouts have been introduced in a ‘handful’ of stores across Australia as part of a trial.

Woolworths is keen to gather customer feedback before rolling out the system nationwide.

Cash users were delighted with these changes, as only a few self-serve checkouts accept cash.

However, other shoppers said they still refused to use the customer-operated registers.

A Woolworths spokesperson shared that the new colour-coding system is part of the company's ongoing efforts to make shopping 'easier and more convenient' for customers.

'We've implemented colour-coordinated self-serve checkouts so customers can easily find their preferred checkout, whether it be “Cash & Card” or “Card Only,”’ they said.

'All the self-serve checkouts have improved signage as a complement (to the colours). We look forward to continuing to receive feedback from customers on the change.'

Last year, Woolworths installed automatic gates and high-tech surveillance in their self-service checkout areas as a test run in select stores across Australia.

Other stores have also been trying new features to improve their self-serve checkout systems nationwide.

For one, Kmart trialled a new security camera system in December, which uses camera vision and artificial intelligence (AI) to detect when items have not been scanned properly.

Coles also rolled out its electronic gate systems as a final step to reduce theft in the supermarket chain.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths is trialling a new colour-coded system at self-serve checkouts to distinguish between machines that accept cash and those that are card-only.
  • The machines that accept cash and cards will be easily identifiable with a neon lime colour, while card-only machines will be wrapped in dark grey.
  • The supermarket hopes this change will make the shopping experience 'easier and more convenient' for customers.
  • While some customers are excited about the change, others remain sceptical and say they will 'refuse' to use self-serve checkouts regardless of the updates.
Have you used the colour-coded checkouts at Woolworths? Do you find them helpful? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
They can stuff their self serve registers up their butts. I have never and will never use a self serve checkout.

Reactions: JedCorella
They missed a colour.
Hot Red for those with people attached.
I think red arrows painted on the floor that point the way to REAL service would also be a nice addition.

Reactions: Evol P
Don't use, never have and never will use self checkouts, at least not until these major supermarkets start paying me a wage to do their job which is to SERVE me. I don't work for them therefore I shouldn't have to do their job for them.

Good old Woolworths. I'd recommend a hearing test - still not listening to customers, are they?
NO! NO! To any self checkout unless they give me a 10% discount for my service.

I don't care what they've done with colour coding, I never have and never will use a self serve checkout. Woolworths don't pay me to process and pack my own shopping. If they offered discounts for doing it, it might be a different matter.
Totally agree - who cares if the checkouts are grey or puce or orange!

I will never use self-service checkouts for a range of reasons. Don't care about the colour changes.

Bring back serviced checkouts from humans.

No to self serve. There is not enough room for a large trolley load of groceries. Lost of jobs. Much slower to do scans yoyrself and get through checkout. Not enough help when the machine stuffs up. Not enough CASH Checkouts. We are not being paid by Woolies to serve . It hasn't lowered the price of groceries by these installations.

Good old Woolworths. I'd recommend a hearing test - still not listening to customers, are they?
NO! NO! To any self checkout unless they give me a 10% discount for my service.
So if you buy $200 worth of groceries, and it tàkes you about 10 minutes to scan them, you want $20 for 10 minutes work i.e. $120/hour. If you're a bit slow and it tàkes you 15 minutes, that is $80/hour.
What a silly statement, how much do you think checkout chicks earn.

It doesn't matter how many "new self-service systems" they trial/bring in, I WILL NOT use them. I find myself, more and more often, using the little local grocer. Their prices may be a little higher here and there but considering the 17km drive to the closest supermarket, and the same back, it is well worth shopping there. They also sell several items which are always far cheaper.

I had a good laugh in K-Mart last week. Walked passed the long queue waiting for the self service, with my items, over to the single cashier standing amongst all the unopened registers. Such a lovely, pleasant young girl. Anyway, all rung up, change put away, and walked back passed the queue which by then had grown much longer. Quicker to use self-service? Hahaha, in that case definitely not!!!

woolies are always looking for more ways to cheat people out of thier money with these new STUPID
self serve chechouts, but if you say anything to the staff, you get ABUSED orthey throw you out!!
furthermore I won't shop at there store now,there's other stores to use who don't have the STUPID
self serve THINGS.

And that's what slows down self-serve. She'll probably be letting the kids do the check-out as well. Full trolleys should go to staffed checkouts.
I think self serve should be limited to a certain number of items. That's what they're there for. Duck in grab a few things and get out quick!

Hate Hate Hate Hate and LOATHE SelfServe checkouts!
Nasty greedy supermarkets only experienced increases in theft when they dumped staff!
Hire more staff and dump this revolting Americanisation of SelfServe.
Serves these giant supermarkets right when power goes out and no one can buy anything!
Australia likes and wants people power and that means staff at supermarket conveyor belt checkouts.
You're a fool if think supermarket theft was non-existent before self serve checkouts.
What it has done, is tempt those who would not normally pitch stuff to do it by stealth by putting things through incorrectly.

If you are not involving yourself with theft, why object to the things stores are putting into place to stop theft. It is not an invasion of privacy, just good common sense for heavens sake. Just accept that digital technology is here to stay and get on with your, hopefully, honest life.
Yep the machine is moving and you need to get on it or get left behind with all the other ostriches.

If you are not involving yourself with theft, why object to the things stores are putting into place to stop theft. It is not an invasion of privacy, just good common sense for heavens sake. Just accept that digital technology is here to stay and get on with your, hopefully, honest life.
So, you are part of the problem. I suppose you want to be locked in a 15 minute city/prison too and you think digital enslavement is OK. I hope that you've vaxed because that is the most recent way to eliminate people from the gene pool! I don't condone theft but constant surveillance is complete over reach.
I suppose you will eat bugs and love digital currency too leading to where you will own nothing and be happy. Look up the WEF agenda for your own sake.

So if you buy $200 worth of groceries, and it tàkes you about 10 minutes to scan them, you want $20 for 10 minutes work i.e. $120/hour. If you're a bit slow and it tàkes you 15 minutes, that is $80/hour.
What a silly statement, how much do you think checkout chicks earn.
Somehow I think you are missing the point. I suppose it is difficult to hear when you have your head stuck up your rear end.

I had a good laugh in K-Mart last week. Walked passed the long queue waiting for the self service, with my items, over to the single cashier standing amongst all the unopened registers. Such a lovely, pleasant young girl. Anyway, all rung up, change put away, and walked back passed the queue which by then had grown much longer. Quicker to use self-service? Hahaha, in that case definitely not!!!
I just went to Kmart. They had nice big signs to indicate Card or Cash checkouts. Gee that was simple.
And notably there are 2 card only, 3 cash/card, and a manned checkout. Gotta love a small town.

Somehow I think you are missing the point. I suppose it is difficult to hear when you have your head stuck up your rear end.
What point am I missing. I wasn't replying to you, I was commenting on the person who wanted 10% discount for scanning their own groceries.
Just pointing out how ridiculous that would be.
You are an extremely rude person.
So, you are part of the problem. I suppose you want to be locked in a 15 minute city/prison too and you think digital enslavement is OK. I hope that you've vaxed because that is the most recent way to eliminate people from the gene pool! I don't condone theft but constant surveillance is complete over reach.
I suppose you will eat bugs and love digital currency too leading to where you will own nothing and be happy. Look up the WEF agenda for your own sake.
Do you really think those comments were necessary. I think you need to go back to bed and take a Bex
When you wake up try getting out the other side of the bed.
By the way I have read the WEF agenda. You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else without having people like you trying To shove their agenda down their throats.

I most strongly oppose any self checkouts ,
Me too !! You just have to inquire, where do the Check Out Chicks go when their jobs are no longer there ? Automatic,
Electronic, Computerized Everything. Where do these people go..... Is there a job out there for all the people whose jobs no longer exist ? There is a limit to how much the Government can support
People. What then ?
Desperation is a dangerous "tool" to people who have no income, Progress is a good thing gone wrong.
There needs to be a serious evaluation of
Desperate People doing Desperate things to survive.
To seriously choose to disregard the most fundamental rights of people to be able to live, and pay their way in this World, To achieve and to be independent,
could be said to be the spice of life to a very large number of people
. They are the ones who could be the ones who suffer the greatest loss, due to all the"Progressive Moves to make a better World". History challenges the Right. or the Wrong to assist in our own distruction IN the name of PROGRESS.
ONE STEP FORWARD TWO STEPS BACK.