Woolworths store indefinitely closed after tragic worker death

A tragic death hit an NSW Woolworths store last Friday, prompting an indefinite closure.

Emergency services rushed to Woolworths’ Jesmond Central branch in Newcastle on November 25 at around 7:30 AM over reports of an injured 39-year-old woman.

Things took a turn for the worse when the woman was declared dead upon their arrival as her injuries were ‘fatal’.

The woman was a third-party contract cleaner for the supermarket.

According to a report citing NSW police, she was crushed by cleaning equipment at the back of the store.

Authorities are looking into the woman’s death.

aedkjfgbajegf.jpg
The 39-year-old cleaner died from injuries she received. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Matilda Wormwood

‘Officers from Newcastle Police District have established a crime scene and commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident,’ NSW Police said in a statement.

‘Initial inquiries suggest there are no suspicious circumstances.’

A spokesperson for Woolworths said the retail giant was ‘deeply saddened’ by the incident.

‘We are assisting SafeWork NSW and NSW Police as well as working with our contract cleaning partner.’

The spokesperson also said Woolworths’ priority was providing support to the woman’s family.

Many locals offered their condolences to the woman’s loved ones.

‘Such tragic news. I was there when they were closing the store; the shock and pain on their faces was heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers are with this poor lady, her family and her colleagues.‘ a woman said.

Screenshot_2.png
The Woolworths branch has been closed indefinitely. Credit: Facebook/NBN Television

‘Devastating, just tragic news to hear. Everyone should go to work and come home in one piece. (This death is) too close to Christmas. Sending condolences to the lady's family, friends, and colleagues.’ another added.

Data from Safe Work Australia says 140 people have died from workplace accidents this year, with half of fatalities coming from the manufacturing and transport, postal, and warehousing industries.

What is your reaction to this story? Have you had experiences with dangerous situations while at work? How did you handle them?

Tell us your thoughts below.

Source: Facebook/NBN Television

Sponsored
My husband was a shunter for nsw rail Goods trains , this job entails joining train carriages together by the jaws and air hose. They would also have to run beside the train to put the brakes on.

He did this job for 15 years and I remember 3 shunters dying .
One of those was caught between the carriage and my husband sat with him and talked to him until the paramedics arrived.
They knew that as soon as they released him he would die.
His wife arrived the same time as the ambulance.
Basically as soon as they released him he died, strangely before they did release him he seemed normal and in no pain.
This man had 10 kids.
My son who is a builder has also experienced a work place death through someone being crushed.

A tragic death hit an NSW Woolworths store last Friday, prompting an indefinite closure.

Emergency services rushed to Woolworths’ Jesmond Central branch in Newcastle on November 25 at around 7:30 AM over reports of an injured 39-year-old woman.

Things took a turn for the worse when the woman was declared dead upon their arrival as her injuries were ‘fatal’.

The woman was a third-party contract cleaner for the supermarket.

According to a report citing NSW police, she was crushed by cleaning equipment at the back of the store.

Authorities are looking into the woman’s death.

View attachment 9580
The 39-year-old cleaner died from injuries she received. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Matilda Wormwood

‘Officers from Newcastle Police District have established a crime scene and commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident,’ NSW Police said in a statement.

‘Initial inquiries suggest there are no suspicious circumstances.’

A spokesperson for Woolworths said the retail giant was ‘deeply saddened’ by the incident.

‘We are assisting SafeWork NSW and NSW Police as well as working with our contract cleaning partner.’

The spokesperson also said Woolworths’ priority was providing support to the woman’s family.

Many locals offered their condolences to the woman’s loved ones.

‘Such tragic news. I was there when they were closing the store; the shock and pain on their faces was heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers are with this poor lady, her family and her colleagues.‘ a woman said.

View attachment 9582
The Woolworths branch has been closed indefinitely. Credit: Facebook/NBN Television

‘Devastating, just tragic news to hear. Everyone should go to work and come home in one piece. (This death is) too close to Christmas. Sending condolences to the lady's family, friends, and colleagues.’ another added.

Data from Safe Work Australia says 140 people have died from workplace accidents this year, with half of fatalities coming from the manufacturing and transport, postal, and warehousing industries.

What is your reaction to this story? Have you had experiences with dangerous situations while at work? How did you handle them?

Tell us your thoughts below.

Source: Facebook/NBN Television

What a devastating thing to happen just before Christmas. Makes you wonder about the fragility of life. I hope that Woolworths looks after the family of this wonderful woman who had come to this country to make a better life.