Woolworths stocks cult-favourite plant-based “beef” - “Super juicy and moist!”

Have you ever sat down and thought about how great modern innovations are? We’re living in the future! With a few simple clicks, you can access an almost limitless supply of information and entertainment. No need to go to the library to borrow a book, or trek to the cinema for a movie (although who else misses rolling Jaffas down the aisles?).

R1p5sJy9Ob5uT8WF80C31PEH2A5_Adv72typVog0TIFlpmT0vGb_Fe_zDjBPDP0XkQDP6Lu3ptAqv0lYTblojuxEeineuYQyIaqqckwWzjsegsH41bEE1v22bZsLtej1WceL-314

Image Credit: Pandaily

Oh, and of course, the future of food which very well could be plant-based meat. Isn’t it gobsmacking to think that we can opt for scientifically formulated plant diets that taste and look very much like meat?

A compelling beef mince alternative that’s completely made from plant-based ingredients is now up for grabs on Australian supermarket shelves for the first time!

The cult-favourite is known as ‘Impossible Beef Made with Plants’ and it’s so convincing that it won the hearts of Hollywood celebrities, with a couple of them becoming investors of the product’s parent company, Impossible Foods.

An Australian burger chain, Grill’d, hopped on the trend last year and started using the beef mince alternative to make their very own plant-based Impossible burgers. Currently, their creation is available at Woolworths as pre-made burger patties or as plant-based mince. We can confirm the ‘impossible’ burgers at Grill’d taste remarkably like meat.

HQ8i2NSoc-BYFFz_85r3D-F9uzb2IhsJt4Nz1dy3MHd2JZkbfTGk-3gTCtQLryO0U-35QVRzXll3_ca4EFfcahNN6d5mPAzjmNuCjVYMIzd0dPmf5acT2YoyuckZtlbQUt_iTk0Z

Image Credit: Totally Vegan Buzz

Despite not having the typical wavy strips that we’re used to seeing in regular mince, we can’t deny that Impossible meat still significantly resembles real meat aesthetically. I mean, those succulent juices have to come from real meat… right? What sorcery is this?

But how healthy are these faux-meat products? According to Green Matters, the Centre for Food Safety was previously in talks with the FDA (the US equivalent of the Food Standards Australia body) regarding the production of the Impossible Burger.

Their main concern was that the manufacturers might be using a genetically modified, iron-rich molecule that’s also found abundantly in animal flesh called ‘Heme’, or soy leghemoglobin.

Although Heme is in fact, used as a colour and flavour additive to make the Impossible Burger, the heme that the manufacturers use is not extracted from animals, but from soy.

“Heme in the Impossible Burger is made by extracting DNA from the roots of soy plants, inserting it into genetically engineered yeast, and then fermenting that yeast. The end result is a soy byproduct that helps the burger taste remarkably similar to beef.” they wrote.

“It is there to make it ‘bleed’ and taste like a real beef burger.”

So how convincing is it?

Bianca Soldani from Yahoo! Lifestyle gave the product a test run to get to the bottom of things.

“I gave this product a test run at home and both my husband and I were shocked at how similar it tasted to regular mince. I should mention here that we’re both normally meat-eaters and have never previously cooked with meat alternative products at home.” she said.

Using the Impossible beef mince, she made two of her regular weekly dishes; meatballs in tomato sauce and a stir-fried cabbage and mince dish. Both Bianca and her husband were taken aback by how identical the meat alternative tastes and looks in comparison to real meat.

“It really shone in the meatballs which had very similar colour, texture, and taste to regular meatballs. As per the cooking instructions, I pulled them off the stove when the internal temperature of the meatballs reached 71 degrees, and they ended up being super juicy and moist.” she continued.

33QtCtEo8GtYrR6WIDVH21bC9Hnt8HzGRHLrCtB8g3jJtF-x5CJyH-1_1nXAyqwMhop4z9iYxP-CE1UsFRb6BLiX1H-znqGD9NqZ2ojS6YPK9zPMQFth1bXDnEGtYSGEj3UKLFvk

Bianca’s meatball dish made with Impossible Beef. Image Credit: Yahoo! Lifestyle

“Really thinking about it, I did notice that there’s more of a soy aftertaste when compared to regular meatballs, and there’s a bit of a sweet, umami element to it that isn’t present in beef, but I thought that only added to its deliciousness.”

For further comparison, Bianca decided to get her hands on other meat alternatives after trying Impossible Beef.

“As someone who has never tried cooking with meat alternatives, I also purchased a different brand of plant-based mince made from pea protein for comparison but was so unimpressed with the taste and smell of those meatballs that I didn’t finish them.

“I remain convinced however, that if I served my Impossible Beef meatballs to my Italian family and didn’t tell them that they’re meat-free, there’s no chance they’d guess.”

The innovation of plant-based products is successfully taking the world by storm as an increasing amount of shoppers are now showing great interest in more sustainable and environmentally friendly food items.

Impossible Foods claims to use 96 percent less land, 87 percent less water, and 89 percent less greenhouse gas emissions than regular meat production. As well as obviously, the fact that no animals are killed in the process.

The downside is that it’s more pricey than regular beef. A single 350g packet of Impossible Beef costs $11.25 at Woolworths, making it $33 per kilo compared to only $16 to $23 a kilo you’ll pay for a 500g packet of real minced beef.

Would you consider switching to plant-based meats or do you have reservations about it? Share with us your thoughts in the comments!

Learn more about the Impossible Burger by watching the video below!

Video Credit: WIRED

Last edited:
Sponsored
Why the trickery with these plant based alternatives?
It's not MEAT..... rather it is a concoction of genetically modified and laboratory manufactured ingredients that have nothng to do with MEAT. MEAT is animal or mammal flesh.
Call this imitation stuff what it really is, but don't hide behind the meat label.

Why the trickery with these plant based alternatives?
It's not MEAT..... rather it is a concoction of genetically modified and laboratory manufactured ingredients that have nothng to do with MEAT. MEAT is animal or mammal flesh.
Call this imitation stuff what it really is, but don't hide behind the meat label.
I absolutely agree, call it what it is, it is NOT MEAT.

I don’t think it’s trickery. It is very clear it is not meat. That is actually it’s selling point. Reading the article .. it’s not genetically modified either ? It’s a product made from plants to taste like meat for people who can’t live without the taste of meat but want to make a difference and contribute towards a healthy planet.
A wonderful product. Such a shame that it is so expensive. As with most things that are good for us, free range eggs, healthy grained breads, eco friendly plastics etc ….. it’s always so pricey it puts people off.
If we can get around the price point and produce these things less expensively I think many many more people would be open to buying all these things and contributing towards a healthier, cleaner and dare I say it , more caring and compassionate planet.

Have you ever sat down and thought about how great modern innovations are? We’re living in the future! With a few simple clicks, you can access an almost limitless supply of information and entertainment. No need to go to the library to borrow a book, or trek to the cinema for a movie (although who else misses rolling Jaffas down the aisles?).

R1p5sJy9Ob5uT8WF80C31PEH2A5_Adv72typVog0TIFlpmT0vGb_Fe_zDjBPDP0XkQDP6Lu3ptAqv0lYTblojuxEeineuYQyIaqqckwWzjsegsH41bEE1v22bZsLtej1WceL-314

Oh, and of course, the future of food which very well could be plant-based meat. Isn’t it gobsmacking to think that we can opt for scientifically formulated plant diets that taste and look very much like meat?

A compelling beef mince alternative that’s completely made from plant-based ingredients is now up for grabs on Australian supermarket shelves for the first time!

The cult-favourite is known as ‘Impossible Beef Made with Plants’ and it’s so convincing that it won the hearts of Hollywood celebrities, with a couple of them becoming investors of the product’s parent company, Impossible Foods.

An Australian burger chain, Grill’d, hopped on the trend last year and started using the beef mince alternative to make their very own plant-based Impossible burgers. Currently, their creation is available at Woolworths as pre-made burger patties or as plant-based mince. We can confirm the ‘impossible’ burgers at Grill’d taste remarkably like meat.

HQ8i2NSoc-BYFFz_85r3D-F9uzb2IhsJt4Nz1dy3MHd2JZkbfTGk-3gTCtQLryO0U-35QVRzXll3_ca4EFfcahNN6d5mPAzjmNuCjVYMIzd0dPmf5acT2YoyuckZtlbQUt_iTk0Z

Despite not having the typical wavy strips that we’re used to seeing in regular mince, we can’t deny that Impossible meat still significantly resembles real meat aesthetically. I mean, those succulent juices have to come from real meat… right? What sorcery is this?

But how healthy are these faux-meat products? According to Green Matters, the Centre for Food Safety was previously in talks with the FDA (the US equivalent of the Food Standards Australia body) regarding the production of the Impossible Burger.

Their main concern was that the manufacturers might be using a genetically modified, iron-rich molecule that’s also found abundantly in animal flesh called ‘Heme’, or soy leghemoglobin.

Although Heme is in fact, used as a colour and flavour additive to make the Impossible Burger, the heme that the manufacturers use is not extracted from animals, but from soy.

“Heme in the Impossible Burger is made by extracting DNA from the roots of soy plants, inserting it into genetically engineered yeast, and then fermenting that yeast. The end result is a soy byproduct that helps the burger taste remarkably similar to beef.” they wrote.

So how convincing is it?

Bianca Soldani from Yahoo! Lifestyle gave the product a test run to get to the bottom of things.

“I gave this product a test run at home and both my husband and I were shocked at how similar it tasted to regular mince. I should mention here that we’re both normally meat-eaters and have never previously cooked with meat alternative products at home.” she said.

Using the Impossible beef mince, she made two of her regular weekly dishes; meatballs in tomato sauce and a stir-fried cabbage and mince dish. Both Bianca and her husband were taken aback by how identical the meat alternative tastes and looks in comparison to real meat.

“It really shone in the meatballs which had very similar colour, texture, and taste to regular meatballs. As per the cooking instructions, I pulled them off the stove when the internal temperature of the meatballs reached 71 degrees, and they ended up being super juicy and moist.” she continued.

33QtCtEo8GtYrR6WIDVH21bC9Hnt8HzGRHLrCtB8g3jJtF-x5CJyH-1_1nXAyqwMhop4z9iYxP-CE1UsFRb6BLiX1H-znqGD9NqZ2ojS6YPK9zPMQFth1bXDnEGtYSGEj3UKLFvk

Bianca’s meatball dish made with Impossible Beef. Image Credit: Yahoo! Lifestyle

“Really thinking about it, I did notice that there’s more of a soy aftertaste when compared to regular meatballs, and there’s a bit of a sweet, umami element to it that isn’t present in beef, but I thought that only added to its deliciousness.”

For further comparison, Bianca decided to get her hands on other meat alternatives after trying Impossible Beef.

“As someone who has never tried cooking with meat alternatives, I also purchased a different brand of plant-based mince made from pea protein for comparison but was so unimpressed with the taste and smell of those meatballs that I didn’t finish them.

“I remain convinced however, that if I served my Impossible Beef meatballs to my Italian family and didn’t tell them that they’re meat-free, there’s no chance they’d guess.”

The innovation of plant-based products is successfully taking the world by storm as an increasing amount of shoppers are now showing great interest in more sustainable and environmentally friendly food items.

Impossible Foods claims to use 96 percent less land, 87 percent less water, and 89 percent less greenhouse gas emissions than regular meat production. As well as obviously, the fact that no animals are killed in the process.

The downside is that it’s more pricey than regular beef. A single 350g packet of Impossible Beef costs $11.25 at Woolworths, making it $33 per kilo compared to only $16 to $23 a kilo you’ll pay for a 500g packet of real minced beef.

Would you consider switching to plant-based meats or do you have reservations about it? Share with us your thoughts in the comments!

Anything labelled BEEF is obviously from the animal kingdom...but mince is different eg., fruit mince and never the twain shall meet!!

I don’t think it’s trickery. It is very clear it is not meat. That is actually it’s selling point. Reading the article .. it’s not genetically modified either ? It’s a product made from plants to taste like meat for people who can’t live without the taste of meat but want to make a difference and contribute towards a healthy planet.
A wonderful product. Such a shame that it is so expensive. As with most things that are good for us, free range eggs, healthy grained breads, eco friendly plastics etc ….. it’s always so pricey it puts people off.
If we can get around the price point and produce these things less expensively I think many many more people would be open to buying all these things and contributing towards a healthier, cleaner and dare I say it , more caring and compassionate planet.
It’s not the price that puts me off - I wouldn’t buy it at any price! I do not trust food manufacturers at all and I believe we’ll find all sorts of chronic diseases increase if this becomes a regular part of the western diet.
We are told to eliminate processed foods from our diet by all the health gurus but are supposed to believe that this highly processed product is good for us and the planet. There’s no way in the world that you can turn a vegetable into a meat like product without a hell of a lot of processing. If I go meat free I eat vegetables lentils beans and other real foods!

So how convincing is it?

I eat the V2 burgers and recommend them highly. I have been eating these for around 2 1/2 years and wouldn’t swap them for the world. I often make a bolognaise with vegetables and add a chopped up v2 burger (as I haven’t tried the mince yet)

Reactions: Ricci
Why? If you want to be vegan eat vegetables that look like vegetables. Why process the hell out of it so that it looks like meat and behaves like meat. Be real. If you want steak eat steak otherwise go to your backyard and chew grass!

You say not genetically modified? didn't you read the article fully? "Heme in the Impossible Burger is made by extracting DNA from the roots of soy plants, inserting it into genetically engineered yeast, and then fermenting that yeast. The end result is a soy by-product that helps the burger taste remarkably similar to beef.” they wrote."
It's very important to get facts straight before commenting Sue. :rolleyes:

I eat the V2 burgers and recommend them highly. I have been eating these for around 2 1/2 years and wouldn’t swap them for the world. I often make a bolognaise with vegetables and add a chopped up v2 burger (as I haven’t tried the mince yet)
My main problem is with all these products that they contain isolated Soy protein. High level of processing/ lots of allergens (because it’s not the whole bean) and all soy is GMO unless it specifically says it isn’t.
But you know if you like them then you should feel free to eat them😊

I only buy meat from a butcher shop. I can see and know what i am getting. Yes its more expensive, but far better quality.
I’m with you - I only buy grass fed and finished lamb and beef and free range (accredited) or organic chicken. You don’t have to go to the butcher they are available in the supermarket. But I think helping the small business is good but just be sure you’re getting what you think you are. I have come across butchers who when asked say ‘oh everything is grass fed’ but there’s not one bit of signage or literature to back up their claim. Move on to the guy who sells a paddock to plate product and can give you the provenance of what you’re buying or the supermarket who has to comply with their labelling.

I am vegetarian & I think that this is a much better option to killing beautiful innocent animals just for food, when there is absolutely no need!! It’s horrendous cruelty and we have the ability & options available now to put a stop to this cruelty! Animals have the same feelings of pain, fear and emotional distress as humans!! Why do they deserve to suffer such a horrible fete! I would definitely buy this product!!!

I am vegetarian & I think that this is a much better option to killing beautiful innocent animals just for food, when there is absolutely no need!! It’s horrendous cruelty and we have the ability & options available now to put a stop to this cruelty! Animals have the same feelings of pain, fear and emotional distress as humans!! Why do they deserve to suffer such a horrible fete! I would definitely buy this product!!!
I think that this is a much better option to killing beautiful innocent animals just for food, when there is absolutely no need!!
Should we be eating them live "on the hoof" Margi?
I've always thought it's better to slaughter them first, they tend not to kick so much on the dinner plate

• Haha
I am vegetarian & I think that this is a much better option to killing beautiful innocent animals just for food, when there is absolutely no need!! It’s horrendous cruelty and we have the ability & options available now to put a stop to this cruelty! Animals have the same feelings of pain, fear and emotional distress as humans!! Why do they deserve to suffer such a horrible fete! I would definitely buy this product!!
I don't think people are criticising people for choosing to be vegan / vegatarian.

I respect anyone's choice to be a vegetarian, or vegan.

The concern is the labelling of these products as "plant-based MEAT", when technically they are meat substitutes.