Woolworths shoppers slam car park behaviour showing '"I don't care" attitude'

As we navigate supermarket aisles and fill our trolleys with weekly essentials, it's easy to overlook the journey of our trusty shopping companion after unloading groceries.

However, a recent incident has brought to light a 'shameful' act that caused frustration among shoppers.

This often-called-out attitude also costs supermarkets and customers millions of dollars.

A man accompanying his elderly mother went to a Woolworths store in Woodvale Shopping Centre.

Upon returning to the car park, they spotted a Woolworths shopping trolley carelessly abandoned between their vehicle and another.

The frustration was palpable as the trolley return bay was just a short walk away.

compressed-pexels-trolley.jpeg
Supermarket trolleys are often left unattended at car parks after use, which could cause major issues. Image Credit: Pexels/Pixabay

'My elderly disabled mother couldn't get into the car. Whoever you are, you should be ashamed of yourself,' the man lamented.

Abandoned shopping trolleys are not just a matter of inconvenience—they are also a costly nuisance.

The man echoed the sentiments of many Australians who encountered this 'common problem in all shopping areas'.

'This has happened to me countless times,' another shopper said.

'It's just utter laziness and an "I don't care" attitude.'

Trolleys left astray in car parks could block parking spaces, impede traffic flow, and cause car damage.

Beyond the confines of the car park, these trolleys could also find their way into local parks and waterways, becoming an environmental hazard.

Ocean Crusaders member Ian Thomson highlighted that replacing these trolleys trickles down to consumers through increasing grocery prices.

Woolworths has responded to the widespread concern.

'We understand abandoned trolleys can be a nuisance, and that's why we invest millions in collection services and have additional measures in place to help mitigate their impact on the community,' a Woolworths spokesperson shared.

Additionally, Woolworths introduced an anti-theft locking mechanism, immobilising the trolley once it leaves a predefined perimeter.

Another supermarket giant, Coles, has adopted a similar approach to combat the growing trolley problem.

Despite these efforts, the problem continues to persist.

It's a stark reminder of the collective responsibility we share as shoppers.

Returning a shopping trolley to its designated place could save millions of dollars and be used for improving services and keeping prices low.

So, next time you're at Woolworths or any supermarket, spare a thought for where your trolley ends up.

It's not just about avoiding a 'trolley fine' or the inconvenience it may cause to another shopper; it's about the broader impact on the environment and our wallets.
Key Takeaways

• A frustrated shopper highlighted the issue of abandoned shopping trolleys in a Woolworths car park, which impeded his elderly mother's accessibility.
  • Abandoned trolleys not only cause inconvenience but could also lead to costs associated with collection and replacement.
  • Woolworths spent millions on combating the problem by doing 'regular sweeps' and installing anti-theft locking mechanisms on trolleys.
  • The act of abandoning trolleys has been a common issue across shopping centres, often seen as a disregard for other community members.
Have you encountered abandoned trolleys in your local car park? What solutions would you suggest to help mitigate this problem? We would love to hear your experiences and opinions on this issue in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I reported a trolley left outside my house to Coles, the owners of the trolley. It was there for a couple of days when I reported and was told by the person who answered the phone that they were not the person to report it to but I should ring an agent of their trolley company (they did give me the name but I have forgotten it now). They did not offer me a number and I didn't see why I should ring another number to report it and since I have trouble getting around anyway I was not going to take it a couple of miles back to the shop when I had not put it there in the first place!
I think the number was on the trolley when I reported several left in front of my house, but that was years ago. I don't mean that you should go looking.

Don't be lazy just put the trolley in the trolley bay. Don't leave it next to peoples cars or in an empty car space. It can't be that hard to respect other shoppers.
Kind regards to all Vicki

A large trolley sets the supermarket back about $350.00, then add the cost of having someone drive around the area collecting them.

Happens all the time these days and I've even found trolleys across the road in my street. I called and reported them so they could be collected but unfortunately you see many around our area these days and if someone doesn't call them in, within a couple of days they end up pushed down into the stormwater gullies or filled up with rubbish. I get really annoyed if I come back to my car to find someone has left their trolley beside it, especially when the trolley bay is less than 5 metres away. it's sheer laziness and the attitude 'the trolley boys will get it'.
If the stores put up signs that if you remove the trolley from the car park you will be charged with theft.
It is really the same as if you took an item from a shop and left it down the street. Trolleys cost over $400 each.

If the stores put up signs that if you remove the trolley from the car park you will be charged with theft.
It is really the same as if you took an item from a shop and left it down the street. Trolleys cost over $400 each.
Unfortunately those people don't read, won't read and can't read and will still take a trolley 100 meters or over 2k's away from the shop instead of carrying a little bag.