Woolworths shopper's bizarre find in store leaves the internet amused - can you spot it?

The internet is a weird and wonderful place. And, as anyone who spends any amount of time on social media knows, it's also a place where bizarrely misplaced ‘things’ always seem to baffle users.

We previously covered a story about how a 'randomly' placed jar of vegemite has left social media users scratching their heads.

Now, we want to share with you this story about how one 'hidden' find in the bakery section of one Woolworths store has made the rounds on social media.

A Sydney customer posted a picture of the Woolworths Ashfield bakery interior on Reddit, pointing out that a seemingly 'curious' creature has found its way into the backroom of the store.

A pigeon that practically blends into the backdrop is seen in the picture perched atop a stack of baking trays.

The original poster wrote: 'Took me a weirdly long time to see it.'

bdVSAY9FAZiRFBkkqy1bELj9fwDMolAJLsApyJhzX2JaLt_RinT4-u1Jmvjx1LAqynsEC_S9dT6rrvTXOc71wmK3ULrm-d0mvAWGIgiG1lnLMmSg4haxCOLKaA00z5Xr15g84E4BkzgaZ2Zd1MBLBnvyn3e0JdZb_2WNZMWQ4QDhi7A4SCvlZ-h5

A customer took to Reddit to share a snap of a pigeon perching atop a stack of baking trays in his local Woolies store. Credit: Reddit.

In an odd turn of events, regulars at the store stated that the pigeon was a familiar sight in the aisles and had even been given a name.

One user claimed: 'It’s always there and all over the whole store, not just that area. His name is Ian.'

Others remarked that it wasn't the first time they'd heard of pigeons frequently visiting and making themselves home at their local grocery store.

One person said: 'Can confirm, I worked at Woolies for five years and we had our own pigeon! He’d peck at the grapes and s*** all over the bakery tables.'

'I know this might sound crazy. But every Woolies I’ve been to has had a pigeon. Do you think they’re employed or something? To give a more rustic vibe?' another asked.

A third chimed in: 'This is pretty common in many supermarkets. They’ll usually get in through loading docks.'

The original poster agreed with these sentiments, writing: 'Definitely adds culture and builds customer rapport. Made my day!'

Many users saw the humour in the situation, with some jokingly suggesting that the visitor was working for Woolies.

One joked: 'Ah, that’s the new baker. They pay them with crumbs.'

'Working hard for the dough,' another wrote.

A third said: 'That’s the supervisor. He tweets the staff nicely.'

J1tBj7sdZZydGhEF7BnLlmPumctaN-ARjuvkpSlqatjdUuWAdK0dvlu476Q7x1bAp472GWuYeB2PkQMOS8AmgEpTDGH8ESbTgIZ-PRt2Qbrij5b7WaKln1f3kAOMDB5Xo7KK4617kDiEyM9FGHcOmzKVWG51ToWCy_4_1VxaIDiIfRHUIeZSMvt2

Regulars at the store stated that the pigeon was a familiar sight in the aisles and had even been given a name. Credit: Reddit.

However, some users seem to be uneasy with the sight of a pigeon inside a food storage room...

One comment read: 'I hate those birds so much.'

'No wonder, look at the state of those trays. Haven’t been cleaned for a very long time,' another pointed out.

And a third claimed: 'Pigeon just looking for a feed, wait until the lights go off and Ratatouille and his family come out to play.'

It is understood that Woolworths is investigating the situation and will clean and sanitise the store's bakery section.

There are so many random things floating around on the internet. Part of it has to do with the fact that people are constantly sharing random images, often without any context or explanation.

It's always funny to see someone's surprised reaction to a random thing. But on the other hand, not everyone is pleased with the different odd things you can find online.

Still, there's something to be said about the randomness of the internet. It's one of the things that makes it such a fascinating place.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, does your local store have pigeons regularly visiting? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Maybe he has a camera attached to him so the boss can spy on everyone.

I've been to a few shops where birds have been flying around but seemed more like they were looking for away out.

If a bird or any other animal was hanging around and pooping on food items or going on food items then this is a health issue. Birds carry lice as well as other diseases

We used to get a company in at least four times a year to clear any birds, it wasn't cheap but no matter what we tried they'd soon be back. The company would set up mist netting and do their best to not injure the birds who were immediately set free outside.:)

The internet is a weird and wonderful place. And, as anyone who spends any amount of time on social media knows, it's also a place where bizarrely misplaced ‘things’ always seem to baffle users.

We previously covered a story about how a 'randomly' placed jar of vegemite has left social media users scratching their heads.

Now, we want to share with you this story about how one 'hidden' find in the bakery section of one Woolworths store has made the rounds on social media.

A Sydney customer posted a picture of the Woolworths Ashfield bakery interior on Reddit, pointing out that a seemingly 'curious' creature has found its way into the backroom of the store.

A pigeon that practically blends into the backdrop is seen in the picture perched atop a stack of baking trays.

bdVSAY9FAZiRFBkkqy1bELj9fwDMolAJLsApyJhzX2JaLt_RinT4-u1Jmvjx1LAqynsEC_S9dT6rrvTXOc71wmK3ULrm-d0mvAWGIgiG1lnLMmSg4haxCOLKaA00z5Xr15g84E4BkzgaZ2Zd1MBLBnvyn3e0JdZb_2WNZMWQ4QDhi7A4SCvlZ-h5

A customer took to Reddit to share a snap of a pigeon perching atop a stack of baking trays in his local Woolies store. Credit: Reddit.

In an odd turn of events, regulars at the store stated that the pigeon was a familiar sight in the aisles and had even been given a name.

One user claimed: 'It’s always there and all over the whole store, not just that area. His name is Ian.'

Others remarked that it wasn't the first time they'd heard of pigeons frequently visiting and making themselves home at their local grocery store.

One person said: 'Can confirm, I worked at Woolies for five years and we had our own pigeon! He’d peck at the grapes and s*** all over the bakery tables.'

'I know this might sound crazy. But every Woolies I’ve been to has had a pigeon. Do you think they’re employed or something? To give a more rustic vibe?' another asked.

A third chimed in: 'This is pretty common in many supermarkets. They’ll usually get in through loading docks.'

The original poster agreed with these sentiments, writing: 'Definitely adds culture and builds customer rapport. Made my day!'

Many users saw the humour in the situation, with some jokingly suggesting that the visitor was working for Woolies.

J1tBj7sdZZydGhEF7BnLlmPumctaN-ARjuvkpSlqatjdUuWAdK0dvlu476Q7x1bAp472GWuYeB2PkQMOS8AmgEpTDGH8ESbTgIZ-PRt2Qbrij5b7WaKln1f3kAOMDB5Xo7KK4617kDiEyM9FGHcOmzKVWG51ToWCy_4_1VxaIDiIfRHUIeZSMvt2

Regulars at the store stated that the pigeon was a familiar sight in the aisles and had even been given a name. Credit: Reddit.

However, some users seem to be uneasy with the sight of a pigeon inside a food storage room...

'No wonder, look at the state of those trays. Haven’t been cleaned for a very long time,' another pointed out.

And a third claimed: 'Pigeon just looking for a feed, wait until the lights go off and Ratatouille and his family come out to play.'

It is understood that Woolworths is investigating the situation and will clean and sanitise the store's bakery section.

There are so many random things floating around on the internet. Part of it has to do with the fact that people are constantly sharing random images, often without any context or explanation.

It's always funny to see someone's surprised reaction to a random thing. But on the other hand, not everyone is pleased with the different odd things you can find online.

Still, there's something to be said about the randomness of the internet. It's one of the things that makes it such a fascinating place.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, does your local store have pigeons regularly visiting? Share your stories with us in the comments below!
We were in Queenstown New Zealand last week and shopping in Countdown (Woolworths) and there was a decent flock of small birds in there. We saw 5, one of which had pecked through a small packet of seedlike stuff, it had fallen on the floor, and they were all eating it. There were more we could see flying above the aisles further away. I think they were sparrows, and they would be difficult to eradicate.

I've been to a few shops where birds have been flying around but seemed more like they were looking for away out.

If a bird or any other animal was hanging around and pooping on food items or going on food items then this is a health issue. Birds carry lice as well as other diseases
That's right they inadvertently fly in then can't find their way out and I agree the health issue is a problem

Going to make pigeon pie ...gotta wait for few more !!!🥧🥧

They do not wash baking trays , it takes time & not necessary, You will lucky to find any bakery that "washes trays" they are in the ovens every day, the same with your bread loaf tins..
My hubby used to work at Coles and his job on saturday afternoon was to was all the bakery trays and tins and they had to be spotless.

Not what l want to see in any store where good is prepared &/ or served. Very unsanitary indeed! Knowing that a pigeon frequents that area, are the trays ever washed before being used each day?

Reminds me of a visit to a McDonalds store in Adelaide a few years back. Pigeons were not only at the back entrance of the Restaurant but were also able to fly through the area because there were no doors front or back. A sign telling patrons not to feed the birds went unheeded of course. Needless to stay, we did not stay.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Ricci

What also concerns me is that normally where there are birds & food there are also mice or rats.