Woolworths shopper outraged after being denied '1/2 price' deal - Here's what happened

It's no big secret that we here at the SDC are big fans of bargain-hunting. We love nothing more than finding a hidden gem that we can scoop up on the cheap.

That's why we can relate to the excitement that one Woolworths shopper experienced upon spotting a '1/2 price' sign on chocolate at his local store. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, the deal seemed perfect… Until it wasn’t.

Finding a deal on something like chocolate, which can often be unaffordable, is a real treat.

Unfortunately for this shopper, however, his joy was quickly dashed after he was told by store staff that he could not buy the half-priced items because they were not yet on sale.

e3cc5a8530126b057b014b05ee4248e4d6ec1a24-161x229-x95y0w1417h2016.jpg

The customer was outraged after his attempt to purchase a pack of chocolates that was incorrectly advertised to be 50 per cent off was not honoured at his local Woolworths store. Credit: Twitter.

Yes, you read that right, members! Apparently, at 6.20 pm on Tuesday, staff at the store set up a stand at the end of the aisle to display the discounted chocolate gift packs. Any shopper walking past would assume they were on sale.

Woolies usually run from 12.01 am on Wednesday to 11.59 pm on Tuesday each week.

The Melbourne shopper took to Twitter to share his frustration at the store’s unusual practice, writing: 'It’s 6.20, Woolworths. You won’t honour this blatant advertising because the offer is not on “until tomorrow”.'

'Yeah, it looks pretty. But how many customers do you capture who don’t look when it is scanned?'

Despite his outrage, the customer refrained from disclosing the exact location of the store, ensuring that the staff members of the store do not get in trouble.

While the store decided to make the unusual decision to put the discounted items up early, the shopper's frustration is valid, given that the display could feel misleading.

It should be noted that most stores typically display their marked-down products the night before the sale begins. This process of changing the sales tickets over takes time so employees may begin the process before the store closes.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths shopper noticed a 1/2 price display at his local store at 6.20pm Tuesday night but was told the discounts didn’t start until 12.01am Wednesday.
  • The customer argued it was a misleading practice by Woolworths and that some customers might not realise the items were not already being discounted.
  • The customer said he didn’t want to get the lowest-paid workers in trouble and that it was not their fault.

This story just goes to show how important it is to read the fine print, double-check the price of items you scan and not just take things at face value, even if it looks good. If you ever notice that a sale isn't on, even though items have been marked down, our advice is to double-check with the staff before you make any purchases.

What are your thoughts on this? Should Woolworths staff ‘honour’ their advertised discounts in cases such as this? How would you feel in this situation? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
FYI when when exactly would this "outraged"customer like to see staff set up displays? 11.59 pm...how about we get him to work in retail as he has no idea about time frames or budgets?? Hmmm outraged. ....seriously get a life!
That's not the customers problem 1/2 price advertised you get it for 1/2 price I have done it before then they took the sign down

Reactions: Ricci
It is bait advertising nothing more or less, imo. I take photos if buying a item that is offered at a reduced price and i also ckeck beneath the signs that advertise "specials" .....(whatever that means) to see what the original price was... there never is a amount higher than the offered special price... it is always exactly the same price.
If buying anything that i have doubts about i take a photo.. i pay the price whatever is run up on the register total then i step aside check the items run up and paid for and then go to the information counter and question the price then and there only. After checking and the error is noted and i am given a full refund and the item at no cost. Sometimes there used to be the offer of a refund of the price difference but now it's as i shared above. so i am gratefuj and respect the woolworths store on their customer servic

Once i saw an advertisement for that day when reading the days newpaper the special sale of a small round electric frying pan. So as it was 815am i drive to the electrical retail store and waited for their opening time at 830am. As i was the sole customer i was immediately served and so i asked for that specific item offered on sale. I was told thats all the items had already been sold but orders with be taken and they could get one in. So i then started i felt it was bait advertising only ad being the only customer there it wasnt possible they had sold out. I was graciously offered a large round frying pan for the price of the small one. I decided to run with that and count my blessings. Well all i know is that in all these years that remains my favourite and must useful item.. so I try not to sweat the small stuff and be respectful of staff who are always doing the best they can to help me and other customers .

It's no big secret that we here at the SDC are big fans of bargain-hunting. We love nothing more than finding a hidden gem that we can scoop up on the cheap.

That's why we can relate to the excitement that one Woolworths shopper experienced upon spotting a '1/2 price' sign on chocolate at his local store. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, the deal seemed perfect… Until it wasn’t.

Finding a deal on something like chocolate, which can often be unaffordable, is a real treat.

Unfortunately for this shopper, however, his joy was quickly dashed after he was told by store staff that he could not buy the half-priced items because they were not yet on sale.

The customer was outraged after his attempt to purchase a pack of chocolates that was incorrectly advertised to be 50 per cent off was not honoured at his local Woolworths store. Credit: Twitter.

Yes, you read that right, members! Apparently, at 6.20 pm on Tuesday, staff at the store set up a stand at the end of the aisle to display the discounted chocolate gift packs. Any shopper walking past would assume they were on sale.

Woolies usually run from 12.01 am on Wednesday to 11.59 pm on Tuesday each week.

The Melbourne shopper took to Twitter to share his frustration at the store’s unusual practice, writing: 'It’s 6.20, Woolworths. You won’t honour this blatant advertising because the offer is not on “until tomorrow”.'

'Yeah, it looks pretty. But how many customers do you capture who don’t look when it is scanned?'

Despite his outrage, the customer refrained from disclosing the exact location of the store, ensuring that the staff members of the store do not get in trouble.

While the store decided to make the unusual decision to put the discounted items up early, the shopper's frustration is valid, given that the display could feel misleading.

It should be noted that most stores typically display their marked-down products the night before the sale begins. This process of changing the sales tickets over takes time so employees may begin the process before the store closes.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper noticed a 1/2 price display at his local store at 6.20pm Tuesday night but was told the discounts didn’t start until 12.01am Wednesday.
  • The customer argued it was a misleading practice by Woolworths and that some customers might not realise the items were not already being discounted.
  • The customer said he didn’t want to get the lowest-paid workers in trouble and that it was not their fault.

This story just goes to show how important it is to read the fine print, double-check the price of items you scan and not just take things at face value, even if it looks good. If you ever notice that a sale isn't on, even though items have been marked down, our advice is to double-check with the staff before you make any purchases.

What are your thoughts on this? Should Woolworths staff ‘honour’ their advertised discounts in cases such as this? How would you feel in this situation? Let us know in the comments below.

Not right!!! Woolies should have honoured the sale price and sold them to him! Don’t put the price up if you’re not prepared to sell it.
I NEVER shop WOOLIES after a very bad shopping experience over 5yrs ago!!

FYI when when exactly would this "outraged"customer like to see staff set up displays? 11.59 pm...how about we get him to work in retail as he has no idea about time frames or budgets?? Hmmm outraged. ....seriously get a life!
How about they cover the ends displaying the specials and then when shop opens on the Wednesday pull off the covers! Problem solved!

Key Takeaways

If the price is advertised, they should honour it. Cover the display if it's not available.

Definitely it has to be honored. Get the night fillers to change the tag!! Easily fixed. I was at Woolies once but interstate and the bread were on half price too. But the staff forgot to change the tag and it was Wed morning. At the checkout, I was refused the sale price and I demanded to see the floor supervisor. My husband said to forget it as it was only small change. But I did it on principle. The supervisor gave us the bread for free. Another occasion I was in Coles and the scanning machine wasn't updated. i was given the product free too. After all these incidents, I always walked out after checking the receipt.

Key Takeaways

If they set up specials early, they should add a starts tomorrow sign. My gripe is seeing all the specials stickers left on the freezers when that special has expired or is out of stock.

Wasn’t there once a law of some sort where you had to get goods at the advertised price ?
I’d have been pretty let down too in that customers place.
YES! I had an occasion where the advertisement for about six products at Woolworths were on sale for l think about $12 at the time. The ad stated the price but did not state EACH giving customers the impression the total of those six products was $12. WOOLWORTHS had to honour the advertised price of six different items for $12 as advertised. These were virtually walking off the shelf at this price.

I can understand the importance of getting the shelves made up for the sale the next week because the shelf stackers do only have a set time to restock items and set up the sale items.

I think maybe if they leave the signs off and put them up after the store closes or early the next mornin, that might make it easier for shoppers to not think they can get a good bargain early.

if you really want it cheaper you will go back the next day.

Reactions: Ricci and Vio Kot
How hard would it be to put a sign stating "Starts Wednesday"

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

Key Takeaways

Un

THE PRICE YOU SEE, IS THE PRICE YOU PAY. We, as customers, don't work in retail or at Supermarkets. My gosh, every store is different, we don't even know when our Supermarkets have all these wonderful special meat prices we so often see! because every Supermarket has different times. Supermarkets always advertise positions for NIGHT FILL JOBS! So I always assumed, thats the time when they clean, re-stock shelves and and .... bugga that, THE PRICE YOU SEE, IS THE PRICE YOU PAY .... FULL STOP!
Under current ACCC Law ...WHATEVER price IS displayed on the Item AT ANYTIME ...that is it .!.
Take this photo with THIS/ your notification and REPORT them. It's false advertising punishable in this case x + $ 55,000.fine. ( not a " Half Price " fine )

There are some very strident and aggressive comments here. Disappointed is the only emotion being felt. Remember, this is only a box of chocolates you didn't have on your shopping list when you left home. So shelf fillers put the signs up early, or the store manager didn't instruct them correctly. Do you want to get them in strife over such an issue? Perhaps you could negotiate that they hold a box for you to collect the next day at the sale price. Look for a compromise solution that keeps everyone happy!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Agree with him but I'd be disappointed probably more than outraged!
What happened to Woolies paying nightfill staff?
Understand staff setting up early, but there should be bigger/clearer signage saying exactly when sale starts !
Yes that was what I was thinking - night fillers- apparently they are an extinct breed .

I take it the the piece of paper pinned on the display gives the relevant information. Just tad smaller than the half price. You wouldn’t want to be shopping for chocolate with out your specs🤓

Reactions: Ezzy