Woolworths shopper expresses outrage over 'frozen' hot cross buns in-store

As the Easter season hops into full swing, supermarkets like Woolworths are decking their aisles with festive treats, including the much-loved hot cross buns.

But not all is sweet in the land of festive treats, as one South Australian shopper discovered to her dismay.

During what should have been a routine trip to Woolworths with her fiancé, the shopper sought to indulge in the seasonal delight of hot cross buns.

However, their anticipation turned to astonishment when they found the buns not soft and fresh, but frozen solid.

Photo_20240312_085904_0000.png
A Woolworths shopper found hot cross buns in-store in frozen solid state. Image source: TikTok/@similyontheroad.

'Can someone please tell me why we went to Woolies to get food, and we went to buy hot cross buns and they're frozen. All of them,' the shopper lamented.

The shopper also said that despite the 40°C temperature, this did not justify why the baked goods were so cold, especially since they were not being stored in the fridge.

'So yeah, we're not buying them anymore,' she said.

The incident sparked a flurry of online conversation, with several alleged Woolworths employees chiming in to reveal a surprising truth.

'Woolies employee here! [Ninety-five] per cent of the bakery is frozen,' one comment read.

Another former bakery employee disclosed that hot cross buns are made months in advance.

'Former Tip Top [bakery] employee here, they start making them in October the previous year, and they are then frozen,' the employee said.

Woolworths responded to the uproar, confirming that stores lacking a full-production bakery do receive frozen hot cross buns.

Out of the supermarket's vast network, 700 stores boast an in-store bakery.

'In some cases, where a store doesn’t have a full bakery, we will send baked items directly from one of our suppliers to ensure customers across all our stores don’t miss out,' a Woolworths spokesperson explained.

You can watch the shopper’s full video below:

The practice of delivering frozen bakery products isn't unique to Woolworths; it's a common tactic across Australian supermarkets.

This strategy serves multiple purposes: maintaining product freshness, preventing cross-contamination for special dietary products, and ensuring consistency.

However, it's not without controversy. In 2015, Coles faced a hefty $2.5 million fine for misleading customers into believing their frozen bread was freshly baked in-store.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths shopper was outraged after finding frozen solid hot cross buns on display in-store.
  • The incident occurred on a hot day in South Australia, and the goods were reportedly not stored in a fridge.
  • Some Woolworths employees commented online, revealing that many baked goods are actually frozen, including hot cross buns, which may be made months in advance.
  • Woolworths confirmed that stores without a full-production bakery receive frozen hot cross buns, and some other bakery products are delivered frozen to maintain freshness or for other specific reasons.
What are your thoughts on frozen hot cross buns, dear members? Would you still buy them? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Now there’s a thought!! We have all been brought up with the warning that foodstuffs such as meat and fish should not be refrozen once defrosted. The reason being that any bacteria introduced during the initial defrosting could be frozen within the product and not killed by the refreezing process. Does this apply to baked goods such as Hot Cross Buns??
In the deli and fresh meat areas we are warned that certain products have been frozen and “thawed for your convenience”. No mention of this in the bakery areas. So should we or not refreeze Hot Cross Buns??

Now there’s a thought!! We have all been brought up with the warning that foodstuffs such as meat and fish should not be refrozen once defrosted. The reason being that any bacteria introduced during the initial defrosting could be frozen within the product and not killed by the refreezing process. Does this apply to baked goods such as Hot Cross Buns??
In the deli and fresh meat areas we are warned that certain products have been frozen and “thawed for your convenience”. No mention of this in the bakery areas. So should we or not refreeze Hot Cross Buns??
Good question !

Reactions: Jarred Santos
There are explicit guidelines for freezing already cooked animal products. If these are followed, the chance of experiencing food borne illness are eliminated. I only researched this recently in believing that the freezing of cooked chicken was a big no-no. How wrong I was!

Does this person complain about frozen vegetables being actually frozen upon purchases? :p

Now I know why when I freeze a few hot cross buns (I buy 6 and freeze 4 as there is only one of me) the come out stale, cause they have been frozen before and you shouldn’t refreeze something that has been frozen before 😡

• Wow
Reactions: Jarred Santos
This customer is a bit slow. Nearly all these so called fresh cakes and buns come to the store frozen and have been for years. If you don't like it then don''t buy it. I always get the still frozen ones on the bottom so I can put them back into the freezer. The only place you can find fresh is the local bakery and if you want hot cross buns, you'll have to wait until easter.

Now I know why when I freeze a few hot cross buns (I buy 6 and freeze 4 as there is only one of me) the come out stale, cause they have been frozen before and you shouldn’t refreeze something that has been frozen before 😡
Put in microwave for about 30 seconds they come out soft fluffy and warm. Slather with lots of butter. Yummy.😊

This woman is slower than a month of Sundays. Buns have been frozen for years, unless you get them from the bakery.