SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
S

Seia Ibanez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 16, 2023
Woolworths shopper complains about cauliflower size: ‘It's laughable’

We've all noticed our grocery bills creeping up over the years. But are we really getting less for our money?

One Woolworths shopper thinks so after an unintentionally ‘laughable’ find in the vegetable aisle.

A Woolies shopper from Brisbane was shocked to discover that he bought a quarter cauliflower piece for the price of a 'half' was laughably small, as the images he posted online showed.

It was so small that he compared it with the size of a box of matches!

FB resize 167.jpg
A Woolworths customer claimed that he paid a quarter of cauliflower for the price of a half. Credit: Facebook

'Apparently, this is what now qualifies as half a cauliflower at Woolworths,' the customer said in disbelief.

'The thievery just gets more laughable. Young produce bloke couldn't understand why I reckoned it was a quarter—they're all like that.’

‘I tried to debate them, but to no avail. They couldn't understand what I was on about. That's how they now come after they “trim and prepare them”.’

Some people speculated that the wrong sticker might have been placed on the cauliflower, but others said they noticed similar product sizes in their stores.

However, a Woolworths employee remarked that the cauliflowers were delivered pre-cut and pre-prepared to the store in this way, and there was nothing that could be done about it as they ‘have no control of the sizes’.

‘Each store is delivered the cauliflowers, so staff have absolutely no say in what is delivered,’ she said.

‘No matter the size or shape, they are still required to provide customers with whole, half and quarter.’

'It amazes me how much control people think staff have control over what’s provided! It wouldn’t matter if they came in square shapes. We are still required to cut them.'

In response to this fiasco, a Woolworths spokesperson said that the company encourages customers to request a refund and/or replacement for any fresh food or product they purchase by contacting the Customer Hub.

This comes after supermarket giants Woolworths and Coles were criticised this year over their increasing prices while the companies were earning billion-dollar profits.

This pressing concern led the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) to investigate the price surge and pricing practices. The investigation aims to identify the ‘scale of price gouging practices being deployed by large businesses and to understand the effects this is having on everyday Australians’. You can read more on this here.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer accused the supermarket of selling quarter-sized vegetables as halves, with particular contention over a piece of cauliflower.
  • The shopper used social media to share images of the small cauliflower, comparing it to a box of matches to show its size.
  • Other customers also shared their experiences of similar sizing issues in Woolworths.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson responded to the claims, advising unsatisfied customers to return unsuitable products for a refund or replacement.
Members, have you also bought a small product for the price of half? Let us know in the comments below!

We've all noticed our grocery bills creeping up over the years. But are we really getting less for our money?

One Woolworths shopper thinks so after an unintentionally ‘laughable’ find in the vegetable aisle.

A Woolies shopper from Brisbane was shocked to discover that he bought a quarter cauliflower piece for the price of a 'half' was laughably small, as the images he posted online showed.

View attachment 35423
A Woolworths customer claimed that he paid a quarter of cauliflower for the price of a half. Credit: Facebook

'Apparently, this is what now qualifies as half a cauliflower at Woolworths,' the customer said in disbelief.

'The thievery just gets more laughable. Young produce bloke couldn't understand why I reckoned it was a quarter—they're all like that.’

‘I tried to debate them, but to no avail. They couldn't understand what I was on about. That's how they now come after they “trim and prepare them”.’

Some people speculated that the wrong sticker might have been placed on the cauliflower, but others said they noticed similar product sizes in their stores.

However, a Woolworths employee remarked that the cauliflowers were delivered pre-cut and pre-prepared to the store in this way, and there was nothing that could be done about it as they ‘have no control of the sizes’.

‘Each store is delivered the cauliflowers, so staff have absolutely no say in what is delivered,’ she said.

‘No matter the size or shape, they are still required to provide customers with whole, half and quarter.’

'It amazes me how much control people think staff have control over what’s provided! It wouldn’t matter if they came in square shapes. We are still required to cut them.'

In response to this fiasco, a Woolworths spokesperson said that the company encourages customers to request a refund and/or replacement for any fresh food or product they purchase by contacting the Customer Hub.

This comes after supermarket giants Woolworths and Coles were criticised this year over their increasing prices while the companies were earning billion-dollar profits.

This pressing concern led the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) to investigate the price surge and pricing practices. The investigation aims to identify the ‘scale of price gouging practices being deployed by large businesses and to understand the effects this is having on everyday Australians’. You can read more on this here.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer accused the supermarket of selling quarter-sized vegetables as halves, with particular contention over a piece of cauliflower.
  • The shopper used social media to share images of the small cauliflower, comparing it to a box of matches to show its size.
  • Other customers also shared their experiences of similar sizing issues in Woolworths.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson responded to the claims, advising unsatisfied customers to return unsuitable products for a refund or replacement.
Members, have you also bought a small product for the price of half? Let us know in the comments below!
All I can say is no one forced him to buy it. Saw a whole Cauliflower yesterday only a couple of dollars. Shop around.

This happened to me, but with my online order
I went to order awhole cauliflower then saw half a cauliflower was half the price . Usually I buy a full one as a half is usually nearly the sane price as awhole one.

When my order arrived I was lucky if the piece was even 1/4 unless it was a tiny cauli
I'm the only one who eats cauliflower

View attachment 35423

Key Takeaways

Last week in Woolworths saw Family blocks of KitKat and Milky Bar chocolates with a $12 price ticket, was no mistake as worker agreed with my comment of how ridiculous it was. Oh I went to Coles and they had same KitKat block on sale for $2.75 and these supermarkets try and deny they are blatantly ripping customers off with their money gouging price hikes! Disgusting !

How big is a whole cauliflower? What does a whole cauliflower weigh? Where does it sleep? What does it sing? Does it have a family? Are Brussels Sprouts its children? There are so many important questions to ask about cauliflowers. It just needs lots of time to answer them correctly. Have a wonderful half, quarter, or full-day. It's your choice.

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1

View attachment 35423

Key Takeaways

Personally I buy the whole rather than bits and pieces as it works out cheaper, lets face it doesn't go waste. for example Cabbage and bacon a magnificent dish on it's own or with any meat dish.

Reactions: Phyll and DLHM

View attachment 35423

Key Takeaways

Have you noticed that the Go ahead McVitie's biscuits have gone from 5 in a pack to 4. No price decrease. There are 3 busicuts in each pack so 20% ofvthe packet is gone to shrinkflation.

House inspection yesterday, told me our rent will go up $150 a week to $650. Small old 3 bedroom house say around 4o yrs. Problems with the house have been waiting 2 1/2 yrs to get fixed. Western Asians come here fir a better life. Over capitalise thinking interest rates will remain at 0.01%, so easy finance. Now supposedly can't meet their debt so we pay their mortgages off for them. I'm 70 next m9nth. Have moved 23 times I really am not physically or mentally up to having to move again.

The government needs to do something about this situation that a lot of tenants are in. It's either pay up or move.

There's a never ending shrinkflation going on with all products with no price reductions. There replies ate always well they could increase the price by 20%.

This is not the Australia I grew up in. It's not the Australia our forebears fought for and helped grow. Increasing immigration isn't going to help it just makes matters worse. Once immigrants receive citizenship, they then apply for family reunification and bring 10 more people in. It has to stop for the sake of everyone, our elderly, middle ages and young ones demanding high salaries with their first jobs. Where's the high degree of apprenticeship we used to have. Where's our manufacturing we used to have, Where's our call centres we used to have. All overseas, putting thousands our of work. Took my daughter 5 yrs to get a job. She wasn't fussy, just never an interview. Now works as the order/cashier, general help orger areas if not busy. Might sound easy but it's hard work. It a takeaway chicken franchise.

End of rant from a Disability Pensioner.

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM
The Woolies' response makes no sense. They mandate the minimum size of fruit and yet can't set a minimum size for a half of a cauliflower.

Unfortunately, due to mobility problems, I don't have any choice but to buy my groceries - including fresh produce- online.
I'm in the same situation, I find the bananas I buy are the ones left by instore shoppers and goods with a useby or best date are inveriably within a day or so of date.

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM