Woolworths shocks customers by discontinuing credit card - find out what this means for your grocery savings!

Supermarkets have long been using loyalty programs and credit card partnerships to attract and retain customers. These schemes provide customers with various benefits such as discounts, rewards points, cashback, and exclusive deals.

For customers who frequently shop at supermarkets, these programs can add significant value and savings to their shopping experience.

However, what happens when these programs come to a halt? It can be frustrating for customers who have come to rely on these benefits and may even cause them to switch to a different supermarket.

Such has been the case for Woolworths customers who were recently shocked to learn that their credit cards, which offered by Woolworths and included a monthly 10% discount on groceries, would be discontinued after an 8-year partnership with Macquarie Bank.

Unfortunately, this means that current Woolworths cardholders must find alternative ways to access the perks and savings they have become accustomed to.

everyday-platinum-credit-card-new.png

Woolworths customers were fuming after learning of the retailer’s credit card discontinuation. Credit: Woolworths.

A Woolworths representative confirmed: ‘This year, after careful consideration, Macquarie Bank has decided to no longer offer Woolworths credit cards, and as a result, existing Woolworths credit card accounts will be moved to Macquarie Bank credit card accounts.’

‘We'd like to thank our credit card customers for their loyalty over the years and remind them they can continue to get great value offers they had with their credit card, including the bonus 10 per cent off their monthly shop, through being customers of our Everyday Extra program, Everyday Insurance and Woolworths Mobile products.’

A Macquarie Bank spokesperson also commented on the matter, saying: ‘Macquarie has been the issuer of Woolworths credit cards for the past eight years and after careful consideration, we have decided to move Woolworths credit card customers to a Macquarie branded credit card as Macquarie will no longer be offering Woolworths branded credit cards.’

‘As part of the simplification of our credit cards business, since mid-2020 we've chosen to focus on offering credit cards to customers as part of a Macquarie home loan package. Macquarie branded credit cards remain an important part of our home loan offering. This reflects the broader shift in demand we are seeing from customers, who increasingly want to package their credit card and home loan together.’

Starting from June 2023, the Woolworths credit card rewards program will be replaced with the Macquarie rewards program for cardholders.

Any remaining credit card points will be automatically converted into a Woolworths eGift Shopping Card and sent to the email address on file, as stated in a notification.

Moreover, online access to the Woolworths credit card and the card's availability on the Woolworths Money app will cease. Cardholders will be able to access their account through the Macquarie Mobile Banking app instead.

While the Woolworths credit card will no longer be functional from October 2023, cardholders can enjoy the 10% discount on their monthly grocery shop until Saturday, 30 September 2023 by scanning the Everyday Rewards barcode at a Woolworths Supermarket branch.

It is worth noting that the Woolworths credit card operates independently from the Everyday Rewards program. Therefore, customers can still earn points by scanning their Rewards card, regardless of their payment method.

Additionally, members can still redeem $10 off a future purchase or 1,000 Qantas Points every time they accumulate 2,000 Everyday Rewards points.

Further information regarding changes to other Woolworths credit card benefits can be found on their support page. Affected customers may also contact the retailer via phone call 1300 10 1234 or email [email protected].

Unsurprisingly, holders of the Woolworths card have been sent into panic mode by the news and have taken to online forums to voice their disappointment.

One cardholder expressed their disappointment at the discontinuation of the Woolworths credit card and highlighted a potential issue that may resonate with many Australian families.

They wrote: ‘This credit card worked amazing for our family. Gaining over $600+ a year in gift cards made Christmas easy for us.’

Another customer lamented: ‘We were getting 10 per cent off our largest monthly shop, as well as approximately a $200 gift card every quarter for our daily household spending.’

‘The new program will not offer 10 per cent per month from October onwards, nor will it offer three points per dollar spent at certain retailers.’

Others expressed that they are already exploring alternative options to replace the discontinued card.

One user said that they were inquiring about ‘Coles MasterCard - Flybuys rewards’ while another recommended exploring credit card options from financial institutions such as Commonwealth Bank or ANZ, or a Kogan credit card.

For those who are loyal Woolies shoppers, we recommend checking out this article where we shared how customers can score big savings using their Everyday Rewards perks.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has discontinued its credit card that offered a monthly 10% discount on groceries after an 8-year partnership with Macquarie Bank.
  • Starting from June 2023, the Woolworths credit card rewards program will be replaced with the Macquarie rewards program for cardholders.
  • Woolworths credit card will no longer be functional from October 2023, but cardholders can still enjoy the 10% discount on their monthly grocery shop until 30th September 2023.
  • Customers can still earn points through the Everyday Rewards program and redeem benefits, regardless of their payment method.

Members, what are your thoughts on this? Better yet, do you know other supermarket perks programs that can help save money while shopping? Share them with us in the comments below!

Also, we encourage you to share this article with your friends and loved ones so they can be informed of this change.

Sponsored
I was alarmed when I saw the headline for this post stating "no 10% discount" immediately thinking it had something to do with Woolies Insurance. Fortunately not. My wife and I both have our cars insured with them and benefit from the 10% monthly discount. When brought into play at the right time we save approximately $60 to $70 a month off our groceries.

Supermarkets have long been using loyalty programs and credit card partnerships to attract and retain customers. These schemes provide customers with various benefits such as discounts, rewards points, cashback, and exclusive deals.

For customers who frequently shop at supermarkets, these programs can add significant value and savings to their shopping experience.

However, what happens when these programs come to a halt? It can be frustrating for customers who have come to rely on these benefits and may even cause them to switch to a different supermarket.

Such has been the case for Woolworths customers who were recently shocked to learn that their credit cards, which offered by Woolworths and included a monthly 10% discount on groceries, would be discontinued after an 8-year partnership with Macquarie Bank.

Unfortunately, this means that current Woolworths cardholders must find alternative ways to access the perks and savings they have become accustomed to.

Woolworths customers were fuming after learning of the retailer’s credit card discontinuation. Credit: Woolworths.

A Woolworths representative confirmed: ‘This year, after careful consideration, Macquarie Bank has decided to no longer offer Woolworths credit cards, and as a result, existing Woolworths credit card accounts will be moved to Macquarie Bank credit card accounts.’

‘We'd like to thank our credit card customers for their loyalty over the years and remind them they can continue to get great value offers they had with their credit card, including the bonus 10 per cent off their monthly shop, through being customers of our Everyday Extra program, Everyday Insurance and Woolworths Mobile products.’

A Macquarie Bank spokesperson also commented on the matter, saying: ‘Macquarie has been the issuer of Woolworths credit cards for the past eight years and after careful consideration, we have decided to move Woolworths credit card customers to a Macquarie branded credit card as Macquarie will no longer be offering Woolworths branded credit cards.’

‘As part of the simplification of our credit cards business, since mid-2020 we've chosen to focus on offering credit cards to customers as part of a Macquarie home loan package. Macquarie branded credit cards remain an important part of our home loan offering. This reflects the broader shift in demand we are seeing from customers, who increasingly want to package their credit card and home loan together.’

Starting from June 2023, the Woolworths credit card rewards program will be replaced with the Macquarie rewards program for cardholders.

Any remaining credit card points will be automatically converted into a Woolworths eGift Shopping Card and sent to the email address on file, as stated in a notification.

Moreover, online access to the Woolworths credit card and the card's availability on the Woolworths Money app will cease. Cardholders will be able to access their account through the Macquarie Mobile Banking app instead.

While the Woolworths credit card will no longer be functional from October 2023, cardholders can enjoy the 10% discount on their monthly grocery shop until Saturday, 30 September 2023 by scanning the Everyday Rewards barcode at a Woolworths Supermarket branch.

It is worth noting that the Woolworths credit card operates independently from the Everyday Rewards program. Therefore, customers can still earn points by scanning their Rewards card, regardless of their payment method.

Additionally, members can still redeem $10 off a future purchase or 1,000 Qantas Points every time they accumulate 2,000 Everyday Rewards points.

Further information regarding changes to other Woolworths credit card benefits can be found on their support page. Affected customers may also contact the retailer via phone call 1300 10 1234 or email [email protected].

Unsurprisingly, holders of the Woolworths card have been sent into panic mode by the news and have taken to online forums to voice their disappointment.

One cardholder expressed their disappointment at the discontinuation of the Woolworths credit card and highlighted a potential issue that may resonate with many Australian families.

They wrote: ‘This credit card worked amazing for our family. Gaining over $600+ a year in gift cards made Christmas easy for us.’

Another customer lamented: ‘We were getting 10 per cent off our largest monthly shop, as well as approximately a $200 gift card every quarter for our daily household spending.’

‘The new program will not offer 10 per cent per month from October onwards, nor will it offer three points per dollar spent at certain retailers.’

Others expressed that they are already exploring alternative options to replace the discontinued card.

One user said that they were inquiring about ‘Coles MasterCard - Flybuys rewards’ while another recommended exploring credit card options from financial institutions such as Commonwealth Bank or ANZ, or a Kogan credit card.

For those who are loyal Woolies shoppers, we recommend checking out this article where we shared how customers can score big savings using their Everyday Rewards perks.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has discontinued its credit card that offered a monthly 10% discount on groceries after an 8-year partnership with Macquarie Bank.
  • Starting from June 2023, the Woolworths credit card rewards program will be replaced with the Macquarie rewards program for cardholders.
  • Woolworths credit card will no longer be functional from October 2023, but cardholders can still enjoy the 10% discount on their monthly grocery shop until 30th September 2023.
  • Customers can still earn points through the Everyday Rewards program and redeem benefits, regardless of their payment method.

Members, what are your thoughts on this? Better yet, do you know other supermarket perks programs that can help save money while shopping? Share them with us in the comments below!

Also, we encourage you to share this article with your friends and loved ones so they can be informed of this change.

Meh.
Sleep with dogs, rise with fleas.
I applied for a Woolworths credit card about five years ago, lured by the accelerated accumulation of points and all the other freebies, thinking I could come out in front. They had the unbridled cheek to decline, stating I had insufficient means (notwithstanding I own three properties outright and rent two of them out, plus I have a self-funded pension!; I could probably buy and sell the Credit Clerk several times over....Grrrrr). Long story short, I kept my No Annual Fee Coles card, on which I gain Flybuy points on EVERY purchase, even Woolworths, so I effectively double-dip Everyday Rewards points by using their competitor's card (at no fee!).

Meh.
I applied for a Woolworths credit card about five years ago, lured by the accelerated accumulation of points and all the other freebies, thinking I could come out in front. They had the unbridled cheek to decline, stating I had insufficient means (notwithstanding I own three properties outright and rent two of them out, plus I have a self-funded pension!; I could probably buy and sell the Credit Clerk several times over....Grrrrr). Long story short, I kept my No Annual Fee Coles card, on which I gain Flybuy points on EVERY purchase, even Woolworths, so I effectively double-dip Everyday Rewards points by using their competitor's card (at no fee!).
I was in the same boat when I applied for a Coles credit card after my brother said about all the Rewards. As we’d never had a credit card ( can’t pay cash, don’t buy, except for rental properties), they wouldn’t give us one. When I told our bank manager he said they’d give us one if we wanted one. Didn’t want one only the rewards seemed good.

Reactions: Ezzy

Key Takeaways

I have both Woolworths and coles cards. When all this happens I will cancel the card that is taking it over and using my other cards. The card itself has a yearly fee so not worth having without the extra perks.
I think they may regret this.

I was in the same boat when I applied for a Coles credit card after my brother said about all the Rewards. As we’d never had a credit card ( can’t pay cash, don’t buy, except for rental properties), they wouldn’t give us one. When I told our bank manager he said they’d give us one if we wanted one. Didn’t want one only the rewards seemed good.
I am on a pension Pat so my purchases arnt huge but still managed to get $600 in rewards to spend. Friends save it up and at the end of the year food and presents paid for. Good stuff for just scanning a card

Reactions: Ezzy and Pat T
I completely agree! Loyalty programs and credit card partnerships have become a popular way for supermarkets to incentivize customers to shop more frequently and spend more money. It's a great way for customers to earn discounts and rewards while doing something they already do regularly.

Last edited:
I’ve tried to find out if I get rewards points with my mobile phone account but nothing in the F A Q or on line

I am surprised that Woolworths didn't negotiate with another credit card provider to enable the to contine that program. My Coles card changes providers every few years and is currently with NAB after Citibank. From a user perspective, there is no noticable change when providers change.

I wonder why Woolworths wasn't able to do this?

Having said that, I have never been a Woolies customer and I rarely shop at Coles anymore. I prefer ALDI by a mile.

Reactions: Ezzy and Jennie
Meh.
Good on you. Coles for me as well

So what if their partnership with a bank is ending? They don't do credit cards anyway. Go direct to a bank if people want one.

I always shop at Woolworths, but wouldn't want one or their insurances, which is operated by Hollard Insurance Company, or their mobile plans, operated by Telstra. They're only doing it because they can get about 20% a time in commission. Even their EG branded petrol stations are owned by a British company. Although I use them when they're cheap and get money off a litre. (y)
🙂

Key Takeaways

Points continue and as I am insured with them can still get the monthly 10% discount but a pain having the card cancelled as I have direct debits on it. Their loss will buy from woolies and pay with my coles card. Double dipping on rewards

It's always a bummer when loyalty programs or perks come to an end, especially when they provide significant savings. I prefer to use credit cards that offer rewards and discounts at the places where I frequently shop. It's good to know that Woolworths is still offering value through their Everyday Extra program, Everyday Insurance, and Woolworths Mobile products. It's important to keep an eye on changes like this and explore other options to ensure we're still getting the best deals. By the way, I recently discovered Mortgage Broker in Northampton, which might be helpful when it comes to any type of loan.

Last edited: