Woolworths roast chickens are now priced…WHAT?

These days, rising inflation is making every grocery trip more expensive.

Many of you members know all too well how prices just keep climbing on essential items like meat and veggies.

But one Woolworths store took things to a new level by pricing a roast chicken at a jaw-dropping $240!

To put this into perspective, a typical roast chicken usually costs $12, which means the price of this particular chicken has skyrocketed by a staggering 1,900 per cent.

Now, you might be wondering what led to this situation and why such a dramatic price hike occurred…

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 2.39.30 PM.png
Woolworths shoppers were stunned after spotting a hot chook being sold for hundreds more than the original price. Credit: Instagram.

One shopper who frequented the same store speculated that this may have resulted from inexperienced trainees.

‘They got newbie staff in training in the deli, I believe,’ she commented.

‘Yesterday, I requested 250g of ham and ended up with 560g. Ham overload! We certainly love our ham!’

However, most Aussie shoppers found the incident silly and even hilarious!

One woman didn't mind the price, emphasising how much she values the taste of Woolworths' roast chickens, saying: ‘Worth it. Best BBQ chicken around.’

Others jokingly speculated about why this particular chicken was so pricey.

Some thought it must have been an exceptionally talented bird, perhaps winning first prize at a Royal Show. Others playfully suggested it was a designer-label meal, comparing it to Dolce & Gabbana or Louis Vuitton.

Someone even whimsically asked if it might lay golden eggs! (But a bit too late for that, eh?)

A Woolworths spokesperson acknowledged that the pricing error had ‘ruffled some feathers’, reassuring customers that it was a one-off mistake and that their roast chickens are still available at $12.

However, it appears that this type of mistake is not as rare as they claim. We recently reported a similar incident where a roast chicken was mistakenly sold for $336.66.

Fortunately, Woolworths was understanding and promptly issued a full refund to the affected shopper. This incident was attributed to a computer glitch.

This situation has left many shoppers feeling uneasy. They wonder if such glitches could happen to any of us and what would occur if we failed to notice it…

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths shoppers were surprised to find a roast chicken priced at $240 at the Hilton Plaza store in Adelaide.
  • The overpriced chicken had a 1,900 per cent increase from its usual cost of $12.
  • Some saw the inaccurate pricing as a potential indicator of future inflation, while others viewed it humorously, suggesting it was a luxury designer meal or a specially talented bird.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson acknowledged 'the pricing error ruffled some feathers' and confirmed their roast chickens are usually priced at $12.

What are your thoughts, members? Has anything similar happened to you in the supermarket as well? Share your stories with us in the comments below; we’d love to read them!

Sponsored
These glitches can unavoidably happen, if it was done by a new trainee employee. When I was an apprentice butcher in 1960/61, I had only started to learn how to serve customers. A lady wanted an ox tail which I sold her, but then you had to read the scales. Unfortunately, I think that I may have over charged her for the tail. I certainly hope that the family enjoyed the ox tail soup. I did mend my ways. All a learning curve. One of those situations you never forget. I wonder if she ever came back "?"

Many of you members know all too well how prices just keep climbing on essential items like meat and veggies.

But one Woolworths store took things to a new level by pricing a roast chicken at a jaw-dropping $240!

To put this into perspective, a typical roast chicken usually costs $12, which means the price of this particular chicken has skyrocketed by a staggering 1,900 per cent.

Now, you might be wondering what led to this situation and why such a dramatic price hike occurred…

View attachment 32922
Woolworths shoppers were stunned after spotting a hot chook being sold for hundreds more than the original price. Credit: Instagram.

One shopper who frequented the same store speculated that this may have resulted from inexperienced trainees.

‘Yesterday, I requested 250g of ham and ended up with 560g. Ham overload! We certainly love our ham!’

One woman didn't mind the price, emphasising how much she values the taste of Woolworths' roast chickens, saying: ‘Worth it. Best BBQ chicken around.’

Some thought it must have been an exceptionally talented bird, perhaps winning first prize at a Royal Show. Others playfully suggested it was a designer-label meal, comparing it to Dolce & Gabbana or Louis Vuitton.

Someone even whimsically asked if it might lay golden eggs! (But a bit too late for that, eh?)

A Woolworths spokesperson acknowledged that the pricing error had ‘ruffled some feathers’, reassuring customers that it was a one-off mistake and that their roast chickens are still available at $12.

However, it appears that this type of mistake is not as rare as they claim. We recently reported a similar incident where a roast chicken was mistakenly sold for $336.66.

Fortunately, Woolworths was understanding and promptly issued a full refund to the affected shopper. This incident was attributed to a computer glitch.

This situation has left many shoppers feeling uneasy. They wonder if such glitches could happen to any of us and what would occur if we failed to notice it…

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths shoppers were surprised to find a roast chicken priced at $240 at the Hilton Plaza store in Adelaide.
  • The overpriced chicken had a 1,900 per cent increase from its usual cost of $12.
  • Some saw the inaccurate pricing as a potential indicator of future inflation, while others viewed it humorously, suggesting it was a luxury designer meal or a specially talented bird.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson acknowledged 'the pricing error ruffled some feathers' and confirmed their roast chickens are usually priced at $12.

What are your thoughts, members? Has anything similar happened to you in the supermarket as well? Share your stories with us in the comments below; we’d love to read them!
I seriously doubt this story as I have worked in deli...the only way this may have happened if the bar code was typed in wrong...just go to the counter and ask ...God help you if there was no social media to have 5 minutes of fame on...

View attachment 32922

Key Takeaways

I have experienced products scanning at a higher price on a number of occasions at Woolworths, no problem....I pointed out the WW policy and got my money back and the product for free. Look it up on the internet and have it displayed on your phone as proof if they try to tell you otherwise.

View attachment 32922

Key Takeaways

Give us a few years and that will be the price we are paying.

View attachment 32922

Key Takeaways

The stuffing they use, is stuffing the taste?

View attachment 32922

Key Takeaways

Maybe they thought it was April’s fools day🤔

View attachment 32922

Key Takeaways

Someone needs to repeat mathematics 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 32922

]
[/NOTES]

Why is this even a story?
Anyone with any intelligence knows this is an error and would simply get the Woolworths staff to fix it!Just another person having a whinge and wanting their 5 minutes of fame!
And you gave it to them!

Why is this even a story?
Anyone with any intelligence knows this is an error and would simply get the Woolworths staff to fix it!Just another person having a whinge and wanting their 5 minutes of fame!
And you gave it to them!
😹😹

• Haha
Reactions: deni67
Bye the way, yesterday (Monday) I went to our local Coles store to buy a certain brand of mint sauce that our Woolies doesn't stock. The sauce was on special at $2.40 each, usually $3.50., I wanted 3. When I ran them through the scanner, they came up at $3.50 each. I queried the price to the young lady at the self check outs of the discrepency & she asked me to retrieve the pricing tag, which I did. Her answer was, that the special should have been removed last week, (what day, ?), so I received one for free and the other 2 at the special price. Again, check the pricings on the docket & be aware.

We stopped buying Woolies Roast Chuck as they now roast it along with Beef and Pork at the same time causing cross contamination for someone who is allergic to Pork.