Woolworths responds to this comedian's 'egg-cellent' observation

Social media can often be a minefield of controversy and debate. However, seeing a story that cracks us up rather than cracks us apart is also refreshing.

Who would have thought the humble egg would be the centre of such a tale?

A comedian's story recently went viral and prompted one of Australia's largest supermarkets to respond with a sunny-side-up sense of humour.

It all started when comedian Melanie Bracewell shared a snippet of her stand-up routine on social media.

During her stint at the 2024 Melbourne International Comedy Festival, Bracewell cracked a joke about the peculiar habit of people leaving online reviews for eggs.

'I always think I don't have enough hobbies,' Bracewell quipped.

'And then sometimes I'll see someone, and I'll be like, "Oh no, actually I'm fine."'

She then revealed her bewilderment at discovering that some eggs had ratings on the Woolworths website.

photo_20240509_081406_0000.png
Comedian Melanie Bracewell reminisced about her eggs-perience while shopping during the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. Image Credits: TikTok/Melanie Bracewell, Woolworths

'The eggs I was buying had a rating of 4.2 stars. People are out there, spending their time reviewing eggs. It shocked me. An egg? It's an egg,' she continued.

'Who's having an egg, a food that has been unchanged for thousands of years, and thinking, "I've got some notes; if you could pass it onto the chicken."'

'Last year, The Age rated my show four stars. I got beaten by a f****** egg,' she concluded, eliciting laughs from the audience.

The joke resonated with many as the video made rounds and people shared similar stories.

Woolworths decided to join in on the fun with an unexpected response.

In response to Bracewell, Woolworths released their video featuring social media star Liam Kirley.

'We've been speaking to chickens across the country to ensure they have the support they need to make five-star eggs rather than 4.2-star eggs,' Kirley said sternly.

The video included a tender moment of a chicken being petted as Kirley asked for its efforts to be 'a bit more egg-cellent.'

The response video was a hit, with shoppers expressing their delight at Woolworths' willingness to play along.

'This has got to be one of the weirdest videos I've made,' Kirley admitted.

However, the weirdness was well worth it, as the video garnered positive reactions and a response from Bracewell herself.

Through a spokesperson, Woolworths explained that the reviews came from their 'bunch' club—a community of over 85,000 customers who taste test and talk about all things food.

'This is no joke—we loved Mel's video and had to show her some recognition,' the spokesperson said.

'They are egg-static about rating everything from eggs, flour, potatoes and many other Woolworths' own-brand goodies.'

Watch Bracewell's video here:

Source: @meladoodle/TikTok

The story highlights a broader trend in how businesses interact with customers and the public.

Gone are the days of stiff corporate responses; companies like Woolworths are embracing humour and human connection to build rapport with their audience.

So, next time you're shopping at Woolworths or scrolling through their online store, take a moment to appreciate the lighter side of life.

Whether you're an egg lover or just someone who enjoys a good laugh, remember that little moments can bring out a fun and sunny side up.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths, a major Australian retailer, responded to a comedian's viral joke about their own-brand eggs.
  • Melanie Bracewell highlighted people leaving reviews on eggs during her show at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, which later went viral.
  • The supermarket posted a response video featuring a Woolworths star communicating with chickens to improve their egg ratings.
  • Customers and the comedian herself appreciated Woolworths' response and humorous take on the situation.
Have you ever left a quirky review for a seemingly mundane product? Or you've come across a company response that tickled your funny bone. Please share your stories with us in the comments below, and let's keep the good vibes cracking!

Sponsored