Woolworths puts an end to selling reusable plastic bags across ALL its stores in Australia

Before heading out for a grocery run, make sure you’re equipped with a reusable bag (or several) because Woolworths recently confirmed that it will no longer sell 15 cent reusable plastic bags in any of its stores across the country in a gradual phase-out over the next year.

As an alternative, customers will have to purchase either 20 cent or 99 cent fabric bags upon checking out – unless, of course, they bring their own reusable bags to carry their purchases. This is the start of a drastic shift in how we do our grocery shopping.

The company predicted that the implementation could cut the use of over 9000 tonnes of plastic bags annually.

In a statement made to announce the change, Woolworths Managing Director Natalie Davis shared that eight out of ten shoppers already brought their own bags to stores.

FyUrmlg4VN5IBx0eyj_aZWVBknDqGw5nkFXO0MMdPyWOTG3QoQchQsrdcS5b17ZgaAwnCufdIbJolb6x9_AMiCMeBXwu9lqLnajD8l--FcsDXZn-_fPK7wXeqpQ0bZtUYmXzpOnWLBKLCUqErw
PzPuzvbL1zqsfCVl76o1BOsE38DFhwEzB3K0_jKi6nk55JFXp__EwzcSHhzbParHj10D8c8F-0BOikXAq1tIs-XtcT3EgPglMnU0GqT31B8r-gf4Jd6mS62ljU3xo0ocf0CzmX24RC1q38-lKw

Image Credit: Woolworths Group, The Courier Mail

The decision followed after the company stopped providing single-use bags for free back in 2018.

“We’ve seen a huge shift in shopping habits since we stopped giving out single-use plastic bags, with eight out of 10 customers now bringing their own bags from home,” Davis explained.

“The reusable plastic bags have played their part and now it’s time to do away with selling plastic shopping bags at our checkouts for good.”

Even though the supermarket ditched offering reusable plastic bags, the lightweight plastic bags used for storing fruits and vegetables will continue to be available in the produce department. However, Woolworths is currently on the lookout for ‘more sustainable options’ to substitute them in the future.

The supermarket will also be rolling out an education campaign and putting up signs in its stores to encourage shoppers to bring their own bags.

“Ultimately, we want to sell fewer bags,” Davis added.

“We know the change may be an adjustment for some customers and that’s why we’re phasing this change in over the coming year.

“We’d like to thank them in advance for their support as we all work together to create a better tomorrow.”

This isn’t the first time Woolies has taken a step towards curbing massive amounts of single-plastic use. They initially phased out reusable plastic bags in WA after the state launched an act to ban plastics.

xQVmGXDPv3rlBwBljSqW7GUAqzrD0ziHhmpVTNZP-TAszDAvTrjLJXXIsrAdgJj1EKfgMu79LT8xEFXcfNSGxMfEKy_8-8QReGmfkZoNCanQL9b8pRMaxjOmplYOmNSS3eRRePzGgZYQlkVPPQ

Goodbye, single-use plastics! Image Credit: In Defense of Animals

Australians use a whopping total of 6 billion plastic bags per year, 3.3 of which are plastic bags used in supermarkets.

ABC touched on the issue, stating: “The biggest problem with plastic bags is that they do not readily break down in the environment, with estimates for the time it takes them to decompose ranging from 20 to 1000 years.”

“Once an animal that had ingested a plastic bag dies, it decays at a much faster rate than the bag. Once the animal has decomposed, the bag is released back into the environment more or less intact, ready to be eaten by another misguided organism.”

You may think that something as simple as re-using a plastic bag won’t make that much of a difference, but collectively, the act makes a huge contribution to the future of the planet. So, the next time you bring your own bag to the supermarket, hold your head up high and give yourself a pat on the back!

What are your thoughts on Woolworth’s decision to ban 15 cent plastic bags? Share them with us in the comments.

Don’t have a reusable bag in hand? Learn how to DIY one by watching the video below:

Video Credit: sewingtimes

Sponsored
I use the green recycle bags and have since they were introduced. After approximately 100 uses these green bags tend to break down , handles pull off at the stitching and the bags split. Same for the cold blue bags. Maybe Woollies and Coles could consider replacing them for free when this happens.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Why do these stores pay so much for crushing and removal of cardboard boxes and then charge customers for bags to take their shopping home in? Why aren't the boxes where able, used by customers? Cardboard can be re-used, breaks down naturally and is far more nature friendly. If places like Bunnings can do it I'm sure supermarkets could too.:)

What if you get your groceries delivered , how will that be affected. I can not drive and delivery is the only way I can get groceries.

What if you get your groceries delivered , how will that be affected. I can not drive and delivery is the only way I can get groceries.
You can choose paper bags instead of plastic for your home delivery from Woolies.
I recently did a home delivery from Drakes and it was packed and delivered in boxes. Maybe other supermarkets could use their packing boxes that they would otherwise throw away for home deliveries.

You can choose paper bags instead of plastic for your home delivery from Woolies.
I recently did a home delivery from Drakes and it was packed and delivered in boxes. Maybe other supermarkets could use their packing boxes that they would otherwise throw away for home deliveries.
Sadly my Woollies store hasn't had the paper shopping bags for sale anymore. I think that they could keep a big container of boxes of various sizes for people to use, they usually fit a lot of shopping in, more than plastic bags.

To request a box is like asking for a gold ingot.
"No, we crush those as we restock the shelves!"
Well, save the labour, and put them in a crate out the front, like they used to many years ago.
They all used to go, Mr Woolies.
It would save you the expense of tying them up into those big bundles, and the expense of disposing of them, too.

I wanted to buy a couple more green fabric bags at Woolies last week and couldn't find any. I asked a sales person who said, "sorry we don't have any, I don't think they're making them any more"! Well if that's true, what on earth are we supposed to put our shopping in?

• Sad
I wanted to buy a couple more green fabric bags at Woolies last week and couldn't find any. I asked a sales person who said, "sorry we don't have any, I don't think they're making them any more"! Well if that's true, what on earth are we supposed to put our shopping in?
Back to the string bags, where everything fell through the diamond holes, even if it was much bigger than the holes???

I haven’t used any plastic bags or supermarkets bags for many years. I crochet 5 bags with macramé string - various sizes- and use them every time I go shopping. After three or four years, they are still very strong. Wash them once a week.

One of the reasons why my husband & I loved Bunning's was for the ready cardboard boxes that were/are STILL in the shop for us to use rather than plastic. Now without a car & lovely husband I need to use a taxi so take a classy patterned shopper with comfortable handles, placing less patterned ones inside. Remember the days when our older Mum's sewed sugar bags into carriers & of course the old string bags that NEVER liked ME. I am quite taken by how many really colourful bags are getting around the shopping areas now. They sure are an attraction as well as handy.

40 years ago in Sydney Franklins worked similar to ALDI but the checkout person would ring your goods up and place them into another trolley and then you could go to a bench and get boxes from the cage and pack your groceries and then away you went. So nothing new in that.

Woolworths puts an end to selling reusable plastic bags across ALL its stores in Australia

Before heading out for a grocery run, make sure you’re equipped with a reusable bag (or several) because Woolworths recently confirmed that it will no longer sell 15 cent reusable plastic bags in any of its stores across the country in a gradual phase-out over the next year.

As an alternative, customers will have to purchase either 20 cent or 99 cent fabric bags upon checking out – unless, of course, they bring their own reusable bags to carry their purchases. This is the start of a drastic shift in how we do our grocery shopping.

The company predicted that the implementation could cut the use of over 9000 tonnes of plastic bags annually.

In a statement made to announce the change, Woolworths Managing Director Natalie Davis shared that eight out of ten shoppers already brought their own bags to stores.

FyUrmlg4VN5IBx0eyj_aZWVBknDqGw5nkFXO0MMdPyWOTG3QoQchQsrdcS5b17ZgaAwnCufdIbJolb6x9_AMiCMeBXwu9lqLnajD8l--FcsDXZn-_fPK7wXeqpQ0bZtUYmXzpOnWLBKLCUqErw
PzPuzvbL1zqsfCVl76o1BOsE38DFhwEzB3K0_jKi6nk55JFXp__EwzcSHhzbParHj10D8c8F-0BOikXAq1tIs-XtcT3EgPglMnU0GqT31B8r-gf4Jd6mS62ljU3xo0ocf0CzmX24RC1q38-lKw

Image Credit: Woolworths Group, The Courier Mail

The decision followed after the company stopped providing single-use bags for free back in 2018.

“We’ve seen a huge shift in shopping habits since we stopped giving out single-use plastic bags, with eight out of 10 customers now bringing their own bags from home,” Davis explained.

“The reusable plastic bags have played their part and now it’s time to do away with selling plastic shopping bags at our checkouts for good.”

Even though the supermarket ditched offering reusable plastic bags, the lightweight plastic bags used for storing fruits and vegetables will continue to be available in the produce department. However, Woolworths is currently on the lookout for ‘more sustainable options’ to substitute them in the future.

The supermarket will also be rolling out an education campaign and putting up signs in its stores to encourage shoppers to bring their own bags.

“Ultimately, we want to sell fewer bags,” Davis added.

“We know the change may be an adjustment for some customers and that’s why we’re phasing this change in over the coming year.

“We’d like to thank them in advance for their support as we all work together to create a better tomorrow.”

This isn’t the first time Woolies has taken a step towards curbing massive amounts of single-plastic use. They initially phased out reusable plastic bags in WA after the state launched an act to ban plastics.

xQVmGXDPv3rlBwBljSqW7GUAqzrD0ziHhmpVTNZP-TAszDAvTrjLJXXIsrAdgJj1EKfgMu79LT8xEFXcfNSGxMfEKy_8-8QReGmfkZoNCanQL9b8pRMaxjOmplYOmNSS3eRRePzGgZYQlkVPPQ

Goodbye, single-use plastics! Image Credit: In Defense of Animals

Australians use a whopping total of 6 billion plastic bags per year, 3.3 of which are plastic bags used in supermarkets.

ABC touched on the issue, stating: “The biggest problem with plastic bags is that they do not readily break down in the environment, with estimates for the time it takes them to decompose ranging from 20 to 1000 years.”

“Once an animal that had ingested a plastic bag dies, it decays at a much faster rate than the bag. Once the animal has decomposed, the bag is released back into the environment more or less intact, ready to be eaten by another misguided organism.”

You may think that something as simple as re-using a plastic bag won’t make that much of a difference, but collectively, the act makes a huge contribution to the future of the planet. So, the next time you bring your own bag to the supermarket, hold your head up high and give yourself a pat on the back!

What are your thoughts on Woolworth’s decision to ban 15 cent plastic bags? Share them with us in the comments.

Don’t have a reusable bag in hand? Learn how to DIY one by watching the video below:

Video Credit: sewingtimes

There was no mention about customers who order on line & pick-up their order. Do they take their own bags with them when picking up their order believing that everything will be loose & they pack this themselves? Surely they cannot be expected to keep buying 15c or 99c bags for every shop or take their own bags to the store after placing an order?

Reactions: Ricci
Why do these stores pay so much for crushing and removal of cardboard boxes and then charge customers for bags to take their shopping home in? Why aren't the boxes where able, used by customers? Cardboard can be re-used, breaks down naturally and is far more nature friendly. If places like Bunnings can do it I'm sure supermarkets could too.:)
This is how us old folks used to do things, & in some cases, still do.

Reactions: Ricci