Woolworths' new 99-cent reusable shopping bag is sustainable, but there's an issue…

Woolworths recently announced that they would be phasing out their old 'Bag for Good' reusable shopping bags to make way for a new, more eco-friendly version.

The new bag is made from 70 per cent recycled materials and has already begun hitting store shelves across the country – but sadly, there's a problem.

Due to the recent collapse of REDcycle – the Melbourne company behind the national soft plastic recycling program – Woolworths (along with Coles) has had to suspend its own in-store soft plastic recycling collection scheme.

And since the new reusable bags are made up of recycled materials (including soft plastics), this means that currently, there is no way for customers to recycle them once they've outlived their usefulness.

The bags are emblazoned with a 'recycle in store' instruction, but unfortunately, this cannot be honoured at present.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 10.06.49 AM 1.png
There is an issue with the new shopping bags from Woolies. Credit: Woolworths.

Woolworths has said that they are 'working urgently to find a solution', but in the meantime, they are encouraging customers to continue using their own bags where possible.

'These bags were produced when the REDcycle program was still available, and we're working urgently across the industry to find solutions that will return access to soft plastic recycling for our customers,' a spokesperson said.

'Eight in every ten customers bring their own bags to the supermarket, and we're encouraging them to keep up the great work,' they added.

For those who do need to purchase reusable bags, Woolworths' paper bags (made from 70% recycled materials) are still available in-store – and these can be recycled at home as part of your usual kerbside collection.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 10.06.25 AM.png
The introduction of the new shopping bag was met with mixed reactions from shoppers. Credit: Woolworths.

When the new shopping bags were announced, customers were upset that they didn't come with the same guarantee that they could be replaced for free as the original 'Bag for Good'.

The new bags have been met with complaints of being 'so much smaller' than their predecessors, and some have speculated that Woolworths is shortchanging customers.

But the grocery store has assured customers that the new bag is 'even more durable,' and it will still honour the offer to replace for free any 'Bag for Good' already bought.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths' new 99c shopping bags have hit stores, but there is an unfortunate issue with the redesigned reusable carrier - the bags cannot be recycled in-store despite the 'recycle in store' instruction.
  • Woolworths is working to find a solution.
  • The supermarket giant has assured customers the new bag is 'even more durable' and added it would continue to honour the replace-for-free offer on any 'Bag for Good' that has already been purchased.
Members, have you tried the new shopping bag from Woolies? And did you have any issues with it? And while we're still on the topic, have you also ever had any problems with your local supermarket's waste recycling program? Let us know in the comments below - we would love to hear about your experiences!

Sponsored
Woolworths recently announced that they would be phasing out their old 'Bag for Good' reusable shopping bags to make way for a new, more eco-friendly version.

The new bag is made from 70 per cent recycled materials and has already begun hitting store shelves across the country – but sadly, there's a problem.

Due to the recent collapse of REDcycle – the Melbourne company behind the national soft plastic recycling program – Woolworths (along with Coles) has had to suspend its own in-store soft plastic recycling collection scheme.

And since the new reusable bags are made up of recycled materials (including soft plastics), this means that currently, there is no way for customers to recycle them once they've outlived their usefulness.

The bags are emblazoned with a 'recycle in store' instruction, but unfortunately, this cannot be honoured at present.

View attachment 9163
There is an issue with the new shopping bags from Woolies. Credit: Woolworths.

Woolworths has said that they are 'working urgently to find a solution', but in the meantime, they are encouraging customers to continue using their own bags where possible.

'These bags were produced when the REDcycle program was still available, and we're working urgently across the industry to find solutions that will return access to soft plastic recycling for our customers,' a spokesperson said.

'Eight in every ten customers bring their own bags to the supermarket, and we're encouraging them to keep up the great work,' they added.

For those who do need to purchase reusable bags, Woolworths' paper bags (made from 70% recycled materials) are still available in-store – and these can be recycled at home as part of your usual kerbside collection.

View attachment 9164
The introduction of the new shopping bag was met with mixed reactions from shoppers. Credit: Woolworths.

When the new shopping bags were announced, customers were upset that they didn't come with the same guarantee that they could be replaced for free as the original 'Bag for Good'.

The new bags have been met with complaints of being 'so much smaller' than their predecessors, and some have speculated that Woolworths is shortchanging customers.

But the grocery store has assured customers that the new bag is 'even more durable,' and it will still honour the offer to replace for free any 'Bag for Good' already bought.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths' new 99c shopping bags have hit stores, but there is an unfortunate issue with the redesigned reusable carrier - the bags cannot be recycled in-store despite the 'recycle in store' instruction.
  • Woolworths is working to find a solution.
  • The supermarket giant has assured customers the new bag is 'even more durable' and added it would continue to honour the replace-for-free offer on any 'Bag for Good' that has already been purchased.
Members, have you tried the new shopping bag from Woolies? And did you have any issues with it? And while we're still on the topic, have you also ever had any problems with your local supermarket's waste recycling program? Let us know in the comments below - we would love to hear about your experiences!

For the first time, this week my Woolies delivery driver refused to take the bags from my last delivery back to the store, said he would be in trouble if he did. I hope they find a solution really quickly. :(
So you are stuck with excess bags. Paper bags might be more suitable for light weight products. Agree a new solution needs to be found quick smart!

I haven’t bought one of their new bags. I have had a query about the bags in the past because - and maybe there will be many people who may not agree, but I see no important need for the rectangular loose piece in the bottom. I have been told it is so the bag will stand up for customers and employees. Employees at the checkout have a frame to hang them on. In the past when I purchased them the first thing I did was toss this unrecyclable piece of black plastic into landfill. When a Tasmanian Senator followed this up the reply from Woolworths only talked - at great length about - about how wonderful Woollies were at saving the environment. Strangely, the piece of plastic which annoys me was not even mentioned in their reply.

That piece of black plastic in the bottom of the green bags is useless.
It's the first thing to break, and seems to break up into small jig-saw like pieces.
Does it go into the rubbish bin or recycling?
Total waste in producing it,supplying it and getting rid of it.

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
I am very happywith my Woolworths green bags and have been using them
for years. REDcycle are trying to find buyers for the products that they produce from soft plastic. Hopefully it is up and running again soon or the federal government step in and fine a solution something. One of their contractors had a factory fire and it won’t be back on line until mid 2023. so that is completely out of REDcycles control. I’m still separating my soft plastics in the hope there is an answer soon. Don’t give up people. And instead of buying Christmas wrapping paper (a lot that can’t be recycled) buy Woolworths 20 cent paper shopping bag that has Christmas print on it (other supermarkets may have these too?) I used these last year and they looked great under the tree and everyone had a bag to take their pressies home in.

I do not buy or use the store bags as I have made so many cloth tye bags myself. yes I know I am only one who makes my own but surely we could all afford a couple of bags like I make so we would not need the store ones.

I do not buy or use the store bags as I have made so many cloth tye bags myself. yes I know I am only one who makes my own but surely we could all afford a couple of bags like I make so we would not need the store ones.
Well done, I can see but just don’t enjoy it. There was something going around a few years ago about making bags out of t shirts without sewing. I volunteered at an op shop and we made some out of t shirts that weren’t good enough to sell and used them as carry bags for customers.

Reactions: Ricci
That piece of black plastic in the bottom of the green bags is useless.
It's the first thing to break, and seems to break up into small jig-saw like pieces.
Does it go into the rubbish bin or recycling?
Total waste in producing it,supplying it and getting rid of it.
It can't be recycled

• Sad
Well done, I can see but just don’t enjoy it. There was something going around a few years ago about making bags out of t shirts without sewing. I volunteered at an op shop and we made some out of t shirts that weren’t good enough to sell and used them as carry bags for customers.
That was meant to read “I can sew” 🤦‍♀️

I have made my own for years. I use rip-stop nylon. I am still using my original bags from 2003.