Status
Not open for further replies.

Woolworths makes a shocking move ahead of Australia Day

Australia Day merchandise—including flags, decorations, and party supplies—have long been popular supermarket items leading up to January 26.

But this week, Woolworths decided to remove all such products from its stores nationally—joining Kmart in halting sales in response to growing debate about the suitability of this date for Australia's National Day.

The supermarket giant acknowledged the divisions in the community around Australia Day in its official statement:

'There has been a gradual decline in demand for Australia Day merchandise from our stores over recent years. At the same time, there’s been broader discussion about January 26 and what it means to different parts of the community.'

compressed-pexels-hugo-heimendinger-1766215.jpeg
Woolworths announced they will not sell Australia Day merchandise in their stores this year. Source: Hugo Heimendinger/Pexels

‘We know many people like to use this day as a time to get together, and we offer a huge variety of products to help customers mark the day as they choose.’

‘Woolworths and BIG W celebrate the best of Australia every day, and we’re proud to support the farmers, producers, and suppliers who work with us,’ the statement read.

Moreover, Woolworths clarified that its retail teams can work on January 26 if rostered, as is the policy for all public holidays.

For many Indigenous Australians and their allies, January 26 is marked by the 1788 arrival of the British First Fleet—a day they associate with a significant loss of their land and culture.

In a 2021 Australia Talks National Survey, the majority of the respondents said that Australia Day should not be observed on that day, considering the date's profound historical implications for Indigenous nations.

With shifting cultural perspectives, major retailers are now split on selling Australia Day products: Kmart and Woolworths have stopped, while Coles confirmed it will supply 'a small range' in 2024 after customer demand.

A Coles spokesperson said: ‘We are stocking a small range of Australian-themed summer entertaining merchandise throughout January, which is popular with our customers for sporting events such as the cricket and tennis, as well as for the Australia Day weekend.’

Some social media users have expressed disappointment as they couldn't find themed items at local supermarkets.

‘I’m trying to purchase Australia Day merchandise from Woolworths and Coles. I have phoned six of my locals here on the Bayside in Brisbane and have been advised that “We don’t stock anything or much anymore as we don’t want to upset anyone”,’ a shopper from Queensland said.

‘Time to find another shop, I'm thinking,’ another wrote on social media.

Meanwhile, others have praised the retailer for their big move. One person said: ‘Great news. We don’t need cheap disposable [things] to celebrate any day.’

Another commented: ‘I agree with Woolies. The amount of commercial rubbish for these events just keeps filling bins.’

Some people have shared what they think about Woolies’ decision:

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths Group has confirmed it will not sell Australia Day merchandise in its supermarkets and BIG W stores in 2024.
  • The decision reflects a decline in demand and broader discussions about the significance of January 26 to different parts of the community.
  • Kmart has already ceased selling Australia Day merchandise, while Coles plans to continue selling a limited range of Australian-themed items.
  • The decision garnered mixed reactions from social media users. While some Aussies are outraged about the lack of merchandise, some have pointed out that it’s unnecessary to celebrate the holiday.

What’s your take on this, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Australia Day merchandise—including flags, decorations, and party supplies—have long been popular supermarket items leading up to January 26.

But this week, Woolworths decided to remove all such products from its stores nationally—joining Kmart in halting sales in response to growing debate about the suitability of this date for Australia's National Day.

The supermarket giant acknowledged the divisions in the community around Australia Day in its official statement:

'There has been a gradual decline in demand for Australia Day merchandise from our stores over recent years. At the same time, there’s been broader discussion about January 26 and what it means to different parts of the community.'

View attachment 39024
Woolworths announced they will not sell Australia Day merchandise in their stores this year. Source: Hugo Heimendinger/Pexels

‘We know many people like to use this day as a time to get together, and we offer a huge variety of products to help customers mark the day as they choose.’

‘Woolworths and BIG W celebrate the best of Australia every day, and we’re proud to support the farmers, producers, and suppliers who work with us,’ the statement read.

Moreover, Woolworths clarified that its retail teams can work on January 26 if rostered, as is the policy for all public holidays.

For many Indigenous Australians and their allies, January 26 is marked by the 1788 arrival of the British First Fleet—a day they associate with a significant loss of their land and culture.

In a 2021 Australia Talks National Survey, the majority of the respondents said that Australia Day should not be observed on that day, considering the date's profound historical implications for Indigenous nations.

With shifting cultural perspectives, major retailers are now split on selling Australia Day products: Kmart and Woolworths have stopped, while Coles confirmed it will supply 'a small range' in 2024 after customer demand.

A Coles spokesperson said: ‘We are stocking a small range of Australian-themed summer entertaining merchandise throughout January, which is popular with our customers for sporting events such as the cricket and tennis, as well as for the Australia Day weekend.’

Some social media users have expressed disappointment as they couldn't find themed items at local supermarkets.

‘I’m trying to purchase Australia Day merchandise from Woolworths and Coles. I have phoned six of my locals here on the Bayside in Brisbane and have been advised that “We don’t stock anything or much anymore as we don’t want to upset anyone”,’ a shopper from Queensland said.

Meanwhile, others have praised the retailer for their big move. One person said: ‘Great news. We don’t need cheap disposable [things] to celebrate any day.’

Another commented: ‘I agree with Woolies. The amount of commercial rubbish for these events just keeps filling bins.’

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths Group has confirmed it will not sell Australia Day merchandise in its supermarkets and BIG W stores in 2024.
  • The decision reflects a decline in demand and broader discussions about the significance of January 26 to different parts of the community.
  • Kmart has already ceased selling Australia Day merchandise, while Coles plans to continue selling a limited range of Australian-themed items.
  • The decision garnered mixed reactions from social media users. While some Aussies are outraged about the lack of merchandise, some have pointed out that it’s unnecessary to celebrate the holiday.

Never bought the stuff waste of money so I don’t care.🤣

View attachment 39024

Key Takeaways

No Australia Day - next it will be Easter and Christmas. Let's stick the minority votes.

What I'm going to say I don't care if I please or offend.

I think it's about time we come together as a nation , it's time to forget the constant I'm sorry .. it wasn't our generation or previous generation or previous to that generation

Alot of the English and Irish who came to Australia with the first fleet came as convicts, forced here and seperate from their families including children and alot of these were convicted for stealing as little as a loaf of bread. They were not only imprisoned for their crime , they were sent thousands of km away from family with a very unlikelihood of ever seeing their family again. I think their families also need to told sorry.

It's time we moved forward and become one. No more sorrys, just equality and one.

I think we should have an Australia day celebration but to celebrate our beautiful country, that is today not yesterday.

I also think most of the merchandise that is sold for Australia day is rubbish. Maybe items like flags and caps should be given away

View attachment 39024

Key Takeaways

View attachment 39024

Key Takeaways

If Woolies expect us to believe Australia Day merchandise is becoming less popular, they’re delusional, not to say arrogant! Do they really believe the Australian public is stupid enough swallow this rubbish?

Get down off the moral high ground with all the other virtue signalling loons and give Aussies what we want - bucket hats, flags, thongs etc. Just stick to selling groceries, stay out of politics!

The survey saying the majority of people dont want aust day celebrated on the 26th january is wrong it is a scewed survey if that date is moved it would make no difference a small percentage of radicals in this country want to get rid of australià day

I think it's about time we come together as a nation , it's time to forget the constant I'm sorry .. it wasn't our generation or previous generation or previous to that generation

Alot of the English and Irish who came to Australia with the first fleet came as convicts, forced here and seperate from their families including children and alot of these were convicted for stealing as little as a loaf of bread. They were not only imprisoned for their crime , they were sent thousands of km away from family with a very unlikelihood of ever seeing their family again. I think their families also need to told sorry.

It's time we moved forward and become one. No more sorrys, just equality and one.

I think we should have an Australia day celebration but to celebrate our beautiful country, that is today not yesterday.

I also think most of the merchandise that is sold for Australia day is rubbish. Maybe items like flags and caps should be given away
I totally agree. The past is past it can’t be changed but the future can. We should celebrate Australia Day to acknowledge how lucky we are to live in such a wonderful part of the world. I understand the horrific things the aboriginal people went through and that should never be forgotten and I think a day should be set aside where they can be remembered but 26th January, I think should be a day of celebrating our country and the lifestyles and freedoms we have. As for who’s selling what and where to make a bob really is irrelevant

Woolies won’t support Australia Day but will support Ramadan in June😡
Good to see Islamophobia is still well and truly alive in this country, has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the date. I think the same when I see christmas, halloween, valantines products on sale every year. Not stocking rubbish predominantly made in China means a little less rubbish making its way to landfill or just strewn across the parks post Aust day bbqs. I'm guessing the vast majority of ppl that subscribe to this site remember when it wasn't a public holiday across the country and just Sydneys birthday celebration (fireworks). Move the date and then focus on the real issues of this country.

Woolies won’t support Australia Day but will support Ramadan in June😡
Good to see your ignorance on display when it comes to religious festival (PS maybe google when it's held) so when is Easter this year? Woollies know their consumer market and as such only focus Ramadan in stores that have a large muslim consumer base.

View attachment 39024

Key Takeaways

a joke i wont be shopping at woolworths anymore white australians are the second class in this country australia day has been around for over 200years this is making white australians more racist i dont usually buy the flags and so on but will be this year

I am with you, I thought we are all Australians whatever race, colour, creed we are. We are promoting more devisions in this country and woolies is just part of it. If you don't like this great country of ours and all the people who fought hard and lost their lives for it, go somewhere else. We need, in my humble opinion, a National Day to celebrate all that is great about this beautiful country of ours. Stop letting minorities run this country.

Absolutely agree with you Suzanne. Also agree the merchandise is rubbish. Most of or all of it made in China.
My only add on is that it's not Woolies choice to make for any of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×