Woolworths launches 'Everyday Pay', an all-new QR code payment system nationwide

Supermarket giant Woolworths is launching a revolutionary new QR code payment system that will make shopping faster and safer for more customers all over Australia.

From today, shoppers will be able to pay for groceries at Woolworths and Big W locations across the country using a QR code linked to a digital wallet on their smartphone.

The technology, dubbed "Everyday Pay," was developed by Woolworth's payment subsidiary Wpay and is among the first of its sort in the country.

How does it work?

Customers simply download the Everyday Rewards app and then enter the information of their prefered credit, debit, or gift card.

Then, at the register, they only need to scan the QR code supplied by the terminal, and the app will automatically debit the purchase from the designated account.

The new technique, according to Woolworths, will expedite shopping because customers will no longer need to scan their Everyday Rewards card prior to paying normally.

vWgFKhsa9mPUQwAPybpyq2csB32ZD1sJ-_ouQLkMCJaduN5GMbLWDTRGa1lx2sycB2klAO5iorrRcSTf-SM0v7Dr0J1Np_QFPY7rjZks0dqnK5aNxJpNhCT-RjfmMSQOR7EYm7p2mCPzzJxfNg

Woolworths has implemented a new QR code payment system in all of its stores across the country. Credit: Dallas Kilponen.
Hannah Ross, Woolworths’ managing director of Everyday Rewards, said: "We know speed, ease and contactless payment at the checkout is important to our customers as they lead increasingly busy lives."

"Everyday Pay from Everyday Rewards has been designed with this need top of mind."

According to her, supermarket goers are feeling more comfortable scanning QR codes while on the move, which they weren't really doing so much before the pandemic. "The ability to pay with a QR code now seems so much more normal than it did years ago," she added.

"By integrating the ease of QR code payments, with our Everyday Rewards app, we can save customers time at the checkout and help ensure they never miss a rewards point again."

Woolworths is the first major retailer to provide QR payment at its supermarkets, Metro stores, and Big W stores.

The codes will be accessible at both self-service and traditional checkouts and will be displayed on the point-of-sale terminals where customers typically enter their payment information.

Every week, one million Australians use the Everyday Rewards app, which rewards frequent users with point incentives, shopping deals, and petrol discounts.

Woolworths asserts that the QR code system is an additional method for promoting "contactless" payments and will reduce paper receipt waste.

While the Everyday Rewards app has a million users, the programme as a whole has over 13 million members in Australia.

Are you looking forward to trying this new payment method, folks?

If you're not sure how to download the Everyday Rewards application onto your mobile phone, check out one of our articles here!

Sponsored
What I want to know is what are all these people doing that they are so busy that a saving of 20 or 30 seconds is valuable? How do they think they will spend all this extra time?:rolleyes: I don't need a smidge of extra time, an hour or two would be helpful, a day would be better!! On the other hand, I may be paranoic but I'm not going to put my life on my phone, way too scary. I don't want to be hacked and lose everything. Maybe it's because I don't feel confident in downloading and using all these new gizmos, I know millions of people use these apps without a worry but you do hear of some nightmares.:(

What I want to know is what are all these people doing that they are so busy that a saving of 20 or 30 seconds is valuable? How do they think they will spend all this extra time?:rolleyes: I don't need a smidge of extra time, an hour or two would be helpful, a day would be better!! On the other hand, I may be paranoic but I'm not going to put my life on my phone, way too scary. I don't want to be hacked and lose everything. Maybe it's because I don't feel confident in downloading and using all these new gizmos, I know millions of people use these apps without a worry but you do hear of some nightmares.:(
Thank you for a point well made!

well I just don't want to do it and if that is the only way to shop at woolies then I just wont be going there that said I don't have one in my suburb but there is one in the next one that I would go to I think they are pushing technology to quick and a bit to far

Reactions: barbaranne
Woolworths launches 'Everyday Pay', an all-new QR code payment system nationwide

Supermarket giant Woolworths is launching a revolutionary new QR code payment system that will make shopping faster and safer for more customers all over Australia.

From today, shoppers will be able to pay for groceries at Woolworths and Big W locations across the country using a QR code linked to a digital wallet on their smartphone.

The technology, dubbed "Everyday Pay," was developed by Woolworth's payment subsidiary Wpay and is among the first of its sort in the country.

How does it work?

Customers simply download the Everyday Rewards app and then enter the information of their prefered credit, debit, or gift card.

Then, at the register, they only need to scan the QR code supplied by the terminal, and the app will automatically debit the purchase from the designated account.

The new technique, according to Woolworths, will expedite shopping because customers will no longer need to scan their Everyday Rewards card prior to paying normally.

vWgFKhsa9mPUQwAPybpyq2csB32ZD1sJ-_ouQLkMCJaduN5GMbLWDTRGa1lx2sycB2klAO5iorrRcSTf-SM0v7Dr0J1Np_QFPY7rjZks0dqnK5aNxJpNhCT-RjfmMSQOR7EYm7p2mCPzzJxfNg

Woolworths has implemented a new QR code payment system in all of its stores across the country. Credit: Dallas Kilponen.
Hannah Ross, Woolworths’ managing director of Everyday Rewards, said: "We know speed, ease and contactless payment at the checkout is important to our customers as they lead increasingly busy lives."

"Everyday Pay from Everyday Rewards has been designed with this need top of mind."

According to her, supermarket goers are feeling more comfortable scanning QR codes while on the move, which they weren't really doing so much before the pandemic. "The ability to pay with a QR code now seems so much more normal than it did years ago," she added.

"By integrating the ease of QR code payments, with our Everyday Rewards app, we can save customers time at the checkout and help ensure they never miss a rewards point again."

Woolworths is the first major retailer to provide QR payment at its supermarkets, Metro stores, and Big W stores.

The codes will be accessible at both self-service and traditional checkouts and will be displayed on the point-of-sale terminals where customers typically enter their payment information.

Every week, one million Australians use the Everyday Rewards app, which rewards frequent users with point incentives, shopping deals, and petrol discounts.

Woolworths asserts that the QR code system is an additional method for promoting "contactless" payments and will reduce paper receipt waste.

While the Everyday Rewards app has a million users, the programme as a whole has over 13 million members in Australia.

If you're not sure how to download the Everyday Rewards application onto your mobile phone, check out one of our articles here!
it's so easy to set up looking forward to trying it out later

Thank you Ricci, I don't want all this technology on my phone and what if I decide to pay for my groceries with a different card payment what do they do then. Wish they would spend their time employing more staff.:mad:

After seeing an interview this morning with a representative from Woolies, I'm having second thoughts.

When asked about the privacy and security of the information collected using this system, one of the responses surprised me.

Apparently this system is only available for Woolies Reward members. which they said gives better security to the privacy of customers.

However, this means you will be forced to join their Rewards programme if you wish to use this payment system.

It might also be noted that reward cards collect quite a lot of information about shoppers besides the usual personal information such as address, etc., but including purchases, how often you shop, what you spend, etc., so what else do they collect?

Perhaps this pay system will improve the shopping experience for some people, but I'm not convinced the supermarket won't be getting something out of this for their own benefit,

Also, will this system be upgraded to eventually replace some staff members, as has happened with self service checkouts?

Also, with all the emphasis now on a cashless society, what are we all going to do in those inevitable cases where the internet goes down?

I think I will wait and see,

Thank you Ricci, I don't want all this technology on my phone and what if I decide to pay for my groceries with a different card payment what do they do then. Wish they would spend their time employing more staff.

I object most strong ly WHY o WHy is cash suddenly out of fashion????

"Roland Bleyer, founder of creditcard.com.au, explains that it's actually perfectly legal for shops to refuse cash – so long as they make it clear before you purchase."

Hence the "NO CASH" signs that are becoming more common.

I wonder how long it will be before they change this too?

Reactions: Liz and Ricci

How does it work?

I know how to download but why should I do it?

How does it work?

I have the everyday rewards already on my phone but I am hesitant to put my credit card details on there. I am one of the dying breed who uses cash for houskeeping...that way I can keep track of my spending. I wonder how many are the samne???