Woolworths launches a 'world-first' checkout for staffers with disabilities

People love it when businesses go above and beyond to ensure their employees feel safe, respected, and accepted—no matter their background, disability, or ethnicity.

During the pandemic, Woolworths was forced to re-evaluate the way they do business in other ways too. The latest of which is to launch their 'world-first' accessible checkout, designed to make retail jobs more accessible for those who use wheelchairs or have other physical disabilities.

Sydney University student Johnson Chen has been working his first shift at the supermarket from its brand-new accessible checkout. Chen, 19, is a UTS computer science student with a disability—and the concept of the innovative new checkout proved too tempting for him to ignore.

'I always wanted to work a retail job, but it was always standing, so it was something I couldn’t access,' Chen explained to a news source.

‘After testing the checkout, I asked how I could apply for a job,’ he said.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 095806.png
Woolworths launched a new checkout for their staff with disabilities. Image: Woolworths

‘Now I’m working here. I did training on Monday and Tuesday, and my first shift was Wednesday. I’m getting kind of used to it now—just the fruit and vegetables I need to get used to how to scan items.’

‘I’m very limited with my job options, with this new accessible register, it gives me a new opportunity to learn more about the workforce and the community,’ he added.

The checkout was officially revealed at Woolworths’ Kellyville Grove store in northwest Sydney this week, and it’s quite the game-changer for staff members living with physical disabilities.

It’s height-adjustable for different wheelchairs and mobility aids, provides more space, and includes a narrower belt and a rotating bag transfer system, which requires little-to-no heavy lifting.

It also comprises a pull drawer for easy receipt refills, plus the whole thing is designed from scratch by the supermarket in consultation with the Centre for Inclusive Design and Mills Group.

Speaking of the new launch, Woolworths Chief Executive Natalie Davis voiced her enthusiasm and support for the unique checkout system as well as heartfelt words of encouragement.

'We strongly believe that our team should represent the diverse community they serve, and the onus is on us to create more accessible jobs,' Ms Davis said in a statement.

'While we’re always striving to provide opportunities for diverse team members, the reality is that until now, there have been real physical barriers to people who use wheelchairs working in many retail spaces.'

Ms Davis added: ‘[Woolworths] searched globally for an accessible checkout that we could bring to Australia for our team, and when we couldn’t find one out there, we were committed to creating it ourselves.’

‘We are thrilled to be unveiling this new first-of-its-kind accessible checkout because we know it will also open up first-of-their-kind opportunities for wheelchair users to be part of our store checkout teams,’ she said.

‘We are continuously looking to learn and challenge ourselves to create a more inclusive workplace.’

The supermarket company has already recruited several new team members to its new Kellyville Grove store and its North Parramatta store, which will also open with an accessible checkout next week.

They also filed a provisional patent application for the accessible checkout with the Australian Patents office.

Centre for Inclusive Design Chief Executive Dr Manisha Amin said that people with ‘lived experience’ were involved in testing and designing the check-outs.

‘It’s a terrific example of designing with, not for, people,’ she added.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has revealed an innovative new checkout designed specifically for staff living with a physical disability, including people who use wheelchairs.
  • The checkout, developed in consultation with the Centre for Inclusive Design and Mills Group, features height adjustability, space for a wheelchair, a narrower conveyor belt for easier access to groceries, and a rotating bag transfer.
  • The supermarket has developed the checkout to provide employment opportunities for people who use wheelchairs or live with other physical disabilities.
  • Woolworths has filed a provisional patent application for the accessible checkout with the Australian Patents office.

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
People love it when businesses go above and beyond to ensure their employees feel safe, respected, and accepted—no matter their background, disability, or ethnicity.

During the pandemic, Woolworths was forced to re-evaluate the way they do business in other ways too. The latest of which is to launch their 'world-first' accessible checkout, designed to make retail jobs more accessible for those who use wheelchairs or have other physical disabilities.

Sydney University student Johnson Chen has been working his first shift at the supermarket from its brand-new accessible checkout. Chen, 19, is a UTS computer science student with a disability—and the concept of the innovative new checkout proved too tempting for him to ignore.

'I always wanted to work a retail job, but it was always standing, so it was something I couldn’t access,' Chen explained to a news source.

View attachment 37395
Woolworths launched a new checkout for their staff with disabilities. Image: Woolworths

‘Now I’m working here. I did training on Monday and Tuesday, and my first shift was Wednesday. I’m getting kind of used to it now—just the fruit and vegetables I need to get used to how to scan items.’

‘I’m very limited with my job options, with this new accessible register, it gives me a new opportunity to learn more about the workforce and the community,’ he added.

The checkout was officially revealed at Woolworths’ Kellyville Grove store in northwest Sydney this week, and it’s quite the game-changer for staff members living with physical disabilities.

It’s height-adjustable for different wheelchairs and mobility aids, provides more space, and includes a narrower belt and a rotating bag transfer system, which requires little-to-no heavy lifting.

It also comprises a pull drawer for easy receipt refills, plus the whole thing is designed from scratch by the supermarket in consultation with the Centre for Inclusive Design and Mills Group.

Speaking of the new launch, Woolworths Chief Executive Natalie Davis voiced her enthusiasm and support for the unique checkout system as well as heartfelt words of encouragement.

'We strongly believe that our team should represent the diverse community they serve, and the onus is on us to create more accessible jobs,' Ms Davis said in a statement.

'While we’re always striving to provide opportunities for diverse team members, the reality is that until now, there have been real physical barriers to people who use wheelchairs working in many retail spaces.'

Ms Davis added: ‘[Woolworths] searched globally for an accessible checkout that we could bring to Australia for our team, and when we couldn’t find one out there, we were committed to creating it ourselves.’

‘We are thrilled to be unveiling this new first-of-its-kind accessible checkout because we know it will also open up first-of-their-kind opportunities for wheelchair users to be part of our store checkout teams,’ she said.

‘We are continuously looking to learn and challenge ourselves to create a more inclusive workplace.’

The supermarket company has already recruited several new team members to its new Kellyville Grove store and its North Parramatta store, which will also open with an accessible checkout next week.

They also filed a provisional patent application for the accessible checkout with the Australian Patents office.

Centre for Inclusive Design Chief Executive Dr Manisha Amin said that people with ‘lived experience’ were involved in testing and designing the check-outs.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has revealed an innovative new checkout designed specifically for staff living with a physical disability, including people who use wheelchairs.
  • The checkout, developed in consultation with the Centre for Inclusive Design and Mills Group, features height adjustability, space for a wheelchair, a narrower conveyor belt for easier access to groceries, and a rotating bag transfer.
  • The supermarket has developed the checkout to provide employment opportunities for people who use wheelchairs or live with other physical disabilities.
  • Woolworths has filed a provisional patent application for the accessible checkout with the Australian Patents office.

I say well done I hope all supermarkets take note these people deserve the right to do normal things and the community will be better served.👍
Well done Woolies. If I wasn't so old I'd be there with bells on for a job. Young man congratulations on your position and PLEASE never lose that beautiful smile. Have a wonderful day.

Congratulations Woolies. I was in a store this week and wondered if a certain person was using a wheelie chair because it look so uncomfortable. Unfortunately he had a very low chair ( not sure why) and it was most awkward. I thought at the time that I had never seen anyone working in a wheelie chair and wondered why, because surely it could be most useful and very welcome by those needing employment. This story really made my day. Thanks to those who had the courage to go ahead and make this possible to so many future employees.

So Woollies have helped in the development of a wheelchair accessible checkout to help more disabled people work in the service industry.

Then they took out a patent which would restrict its use by other companies and reduce the number of disabled people who will be employed by them because of it.

If they were a small business that worked in the business of supplying the retail industry, I would not say anything about it.

But they are a retailer who is making huge profits. They don't need to make a profit from their investment in "helping the disabled to get employment opportunities".

View attachment 37395

Key Takeaways

Great opportunity for someone who could well rely on NDIS. Great initiative from WW and you beauty to a determined young man.
Now, wouldn't it be nice if the same opportunity was afforded to a disabled shopper who finds it difficult to navigate self serve checkouts. Hmmmm....food for thought.

Reactions: marni and Liz

View attachment 37395

Key Takeaways

Now all they need is to use that kinda thinking for DIY checkouts for people with disabilities as the regular ones are not that friendly if in a wheelchair or disability scooter.

Reactions: Liz
Always noted that special needs staff were catered for in our Woolies - great to see this initiative. I am tall and am often asked to bring something down from the top shelf -

Reactions: Jo Piper3