Woolworths introduces new checkout counters to cater shoppers' preferences

As the cost of living continues to rise and shopping habits evolve, retailers also take necessary steps to match customers' needs.

Woolworths took a bold step to redefine the grocery shopping experience for Australians.

The supermarket giant rolled out a new 'front-of-store experience' designed to cater to the changing preferences of its customers.

In an era where convenience and efficiency are paramount, Woolworths started embracing automation by introducing hybrid stores.

These stores offered a blend of self-serve and staffed registers, giving shoppers options and streamlining the checkout process.

The shift towards these hybrid stores was a response to a change in consumer behaviour.

compressed-woolworths.jpeg
Woolworths backed their decision to make hybrid stores by observing customer behaviour. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Daria Nipot

Woolworths observed that customers now opt for smaller, more frequent shopping trips.

'For a basket with 20 items or less, 83 per cent of our customers choose self-service checkouts,' a Woolworths spokesperson said.

'Whereas for a basket with more than 20 items, the majority of our customers select a staffed checkout.'

This trend led to an increased preference for quick and easy self-serve checkout experiences.

Woolworths' new customer-centric approach ensured that while many opt for speedier, self-service checkouts, those who value human interaction could still be served by a team member.

The new store format offered a superior customer experience, with express lanes already a feature in about 800 Woolworths stores.

Images from the newly opened Woolworths store in Spotswood showed dual service desks that featured staffed conveyor belt checkouts and self-service kiosks.

This hybrid model is a testament to Woolworths' commitment to providing choice and convenience to its customers.

This transformation came at a time when supermarkets started to adapt to a population feeling cost-of-living pressures.

Woolworths competitor Coles also introduced this policy last year.

SDC member @Wipperwill shared their thoughts about hybrid checkout counters.

'For a large shop, personally, I prefer the manual check out, but for a smaller shop, I find the automatic check out much the better way to go.'

As we navigate these challenging economic times, the importance of a tailored shopping experience cannot be overstated.

Woolworths' innovative approach is a clear indication that the supermarket is listening to its customers and adapting to their needs.

Whether you're in a hurry and prefer the efficiency of self-service or you enjoy a chat with a friendly staff member at a staffed checkout, Woolworths is striving to accommodate your preferences.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths rolled out a new front-of-store experience in response to the customers' changing shopping habits.
  • The supermarket introduced hybrid stores with both self-service and manned registers to cater to customers' preferences.
  • According to a Woolworths spokesperson, 83 per cent of customers with baskets of less than 20 items opt for self-service checkouts, while those otherwise prefer a staffed checkout.
  • The dual service desks were a part of the supermarkets' efforts to adapt to the cost-of-living pressures and provide a better customer experience.
Have you visited one of these hybrid stores yet? Do you prefer self-service or staffed checkouts? Share your experiences and thoughts about their new checkout counters in the comments below.

Sponsored
Apparently I am both rude and whinging - I left 2 items on the floor as there was not anywhere else to leave them and they were in a shopping basket. At least I am not verbally offensive to the people working there as so many are - I am not paid to serve myself and yes I do self serve petrol but recently found a petrol station that does fill up and wash the windscreen for you so if I am in that area definitely support them.
If the large stores who have bought in self serve were reducing prices as they should because they have reduced both their wages and payroll tax bill then fine but the prices keep going up and they keep making increased profits. They have not passed on the benefits of self serve to the customer in any way.

Reactions: Tervueren
Because most people use a card as it's easier and quicker. That's why people would go to self serve in the first place. That's what I do anyway.

And they know what machines are used the most everyday and how they are used. It's not a big conspiracy to wind up the self serve haters.
Only because they offer less manned checkouts. If you have to bag your groceries yourself anyway, you may just as well reap the price benefit and go to Aldi. I then do a free to boot from the other two if needs be.

Last edited:
Only because they offer less manned checkouts. If you have to bag your groceries uourselc anyway, you may just as well reap the price benefit and go to Sldi. I then do a free to boot from the other two if needs be. W
I'm not bothered if they offer less manned checkouts. I avoid them if I can. I go to Aldi as well anyway, especially now they've got a lot of space on their self checkouts.

I refuse to use self serve checkouts as I do not work at the store that have these check outs. Now if the store allowed 10% discount for serving yourself that would be a different matter.
Other than the silly reasons about not using self serve like all the other sheep quote, :rolleyes: it's a choice for people that want to be quicker and do it themselves. I try to use them as much as possible.

Maybe next time take notice of what’s going on around you instead of whinging lady, lucky I wasn’t behind you because I would have yelled out “hey lady you forgot your shopping” it was still rude of you in my opinion so yeah maybe you’d better shop online.😊
Calm down Littleboy8, I don't believe that she mentioned any type of whinge, merely was expressing a frustration at not being able to go through her usual manned checkout. MaryEM had not shopped at Kmart for some time, and I must concur that I too do not study the store layout and checkout facilities before I enter to shop.
Everyone has their own personal preferences for checkouts, and some folks have very valid reasons for their particular choice, so please do not jump to hasty negative feedback because others may have a differing opinion. SDC is a happy and friendly forum for open discussion and banter, so let's try and make everyone feel comfortable despite our differences and keep it friendly without the personal attacks.
"In Acceptance Lies Peace "

Calm down Littleboy8, I don't believe that she mentioned any type of whinge, merely was expressing a frustration at not being able to go through her usual manned checkout. MaryEM had not shopped at Kmart for some time, and I must concur that I too do not study the store layout and checkout facilities before I enter to shop.
Everyone has their own personal preferences for checkouts, and some folks have very valid reasons for their particular choice, so please do not jump to hasty negative feedback because others may have a differing opinion. SDC is a happy and friendly forum for open discussion and banter, so let's try and make everyone feel comfortable despite our differences and keep it friendly without the personal attacks.
"In Acceptance Lies Peace "
You have your opinion t i have mine subject closed for me now thanks have a great day I will.👍

Last edited:
The woman may not have had a trolley
I said I had a basket - also I didn't expect a full on debate about my actions - if some people found it unacceptable then that is their opinion. I stand by the fact that if there was no customer service I was within my rights to leave the goods and walk out - maybe it was rude I don't really care it was an action I took to show displeasure at not having customer service. End of subject - and if people can't be polite (Littleboy8) in their comments that is also their choice.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I said I had a basket - also I didn't expect a full on debate about my actions - if some people found it unacceptable then that is their opinion. I stand by the fact that if there was no customer service I was within my rights to leave the goods and walk out - maybe it was rude I don't really care it was an action I took to show displeasure at not having customer service. End of subject - and if people can't be polite (Littleboy8) in their comments that is also their choice.
Okay sorry but as far as I’m concerned the case is closed. Goodbye👋. Not my problem if people keep replying deal with it Mary, you put yourself out there so expect comments it is a forum after all but I’m done and I don’t care anymore and I don’t care what you think of me.sticks and stones🤣👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋👋

I refuse to use self serve checkouts as I do not work at the store that have these check outs. Now if the store allowed 10% discount for serving yourself that would be a different matter.
Not even Woolies team members get 10% discount

I would suggest that the reason so many choose to use self service is because of Woolworhs actions over a number of years is to have very few, sometimes none of the staff served checkouts open. It's their agenda, not a customer preference in most cases , but of course they use this to suit them.. it's customer preference by deceit by Woolworhs.

The only reason so many people are having to use self serve is because there are never enough service checkouts open. At my local store there are only a couple of service checkouts open at any time and they are always full. I'm sure if stores opened more they would find that most people would much rather use the service ones rather than self serve. I would like to see all the supermarkets bring back " customer service ".
I fully agree with you Bernice I will only go to a checkout chick, even if I have a couple of items, by having to do it yourself they will end up getting rid of the checkout chicks which is very sad, and they would end up on the dole looking for another job.

I can't understand the negativity around self serve checkouts. I always use them as I can pack my groceries as I choose, it's easy to scan purchases and there is no waiting. If you don't like self serve checkouts go to a cashier and if necessary wait in line

I can't understand the negativity around self serve checkouts. I always use them as I can pack my groceries as I choose, it's easy to scan purchases and there is no waiting. If you don't like self serve checkouts go to a cashier and if necessary wait in line
"There is no waiting"

You made a funny!

Scan an item and a little voice says "Please wait for customer assistance" or "Unexpected item in bagging area" and the whole system freezes up. That's only after you queue, waiting for a self serve checkout to be available!