Woolworths gives away FREE fruit to children, but some shoppers are taking advantage

A series of recently uploaded videos have shed light on the 'disrespectful' behaviour of some Woolworths customers towards the 'Free Fruit For Kids' displays that are located in the supermarket.

In the videos posted on TikTok, two adult customers shamelessly boast about how they walk around the store eating the complimentary apples, bananas, and mandarin oranges that are intended for children.

Aside from eating the free fruit provided for children who accompany their parents in the supermarkets, the two customers also mentioned that they do not make any purchases in the store.

'Walking into Woolworths for the free fruit, pretending to shop whilst eating them and then leaving without buying anything,' the man wrote in his TikTok video. He filmed himself walking around the store while eating a banana, but neither a shopping cart nor a basket can be seen.

The same goes for the second Woolies shopper, who shared a clip of herself eating a banana in the store, along with the caption: 'Woolies employees watching me walk in, grab the free fruit for kids, walk around a bit then leave without buying anything.'

rLgX09ee5BHi721-7w6TprL-BGtNW1zsjIMlOspXabNwIpxXEQYXjO7aLvHaxopn3VIAVLsGZsdP0dgkmBIRxGsvXpvYKQdG-sAV8jZJCmlzCFT3d8P05wIkRzQy2fB82m9HcPiQxdvXydXyNW4

At Woolies, two adults admitted to taking the free fruit meant for kids. Credit: TikTok.

It came as no surprise that there was a backlash from several users on the platform after the two Woolies shoppers shared their behaviour while in the supermarket. Most said that the fruit is for kids, and that adults shouldn't be taking them.

'I feel like it's illegal doing it,' one person wrote in the comments, while a second described one of the shoppers as a 'menace to society.'

'You definitely shouldn't be going in just for this, knowing you're not going to buy anything,' said a third.

A fourth agreed and added, 'This is how good things will always come to an end. The idea is for kids to eat fruit, not for cheapskates taking advantage of the system.'

Surprisingly, not everyone reacted negatively to the two shoppers. Some of them admitted that they do the same thing sometimes, taking one or two fruit for themselves while in the store.

'My fiancé gets me one when we go shopping together,' one person commented, while another wrote: 'Not me going in with my baby pretending that's it's for him even though he is too small to eat.'

Someone who claimed to be a Woolworths team member has also commented on the post and said that these types of situations have been a recurring issue at their local store.

'As a fruit and veg worker at Woolies, I see this all day. The number of adults that do this…' the employee said.

xNrH_Xwo231jHHWwYNLyT4rXn60m7b9uHAv-5t43lsept-tzCPiRGwdUj4SBekiCW7FA8KKHuAazsM3IB1F8ZmCJWhZkaBB2uuGX-Sp2qA5b0NJlxqlawFKCPkgHKR7GsWY7rhliFr3uD7qExp4

The goal of the national 'free fruit' program is to encourage kids to eat more fruit. Credit: Triple M.

Woolworths first introduced its popular 'Free Fruit For Kids' campaign in 2015, offering a range of fresh produce for kids to enjoy while shopping with their parents.

Ever since the program started, children all across the country have been able to get free apples, bananas, pears, and mandarins when they are in season at Woolies locations.

The supermarket company estimates that more than 14,000 tons of free fruit, which is enough to fill more than six Olympic-sized swimming pools, have been given out to kids so far.

Paul Turner, the General Manager of Fruit and Vegetables at Woolworths, said, 'At Woolworths, we want to help kids get their recommended daily intake of fruit.'

'Providing Australian kids with more than 100 million pieces of free fruit is one of our largest community initiatives. It not only makes fresh fruit easily accessible for kids across Australia but is helping build a healthier future for our country.'

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you agree that these free fruit should be strictly for children only? Or do you think the adults can also get themselves a piece or two? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
That's how it starts and sets a bad example. It's petty NOW, but what about later?
That’s why supermarkets continue to put their prices up. They are not going to wear the losses , and every honest person has to pay.

Reactions: Ricci
Who cares this is so petty it's not only fruit people eat I have a Banana 🍌 once in a blue moon I even tell the staff their not worried better than going to the tip as the saying goes try before you buy I am sure there is more things to worry about you don't know their situation very Petty.
You think it is petty I think you should take a good look at yourself

Absolutely its stealing. Its an initiative to help parents give the kids not only some fruit but also a taste for fruit as a treat.
Adults (yes, even seniors) have no right to this.
I have also witnessed people at smorgasbord restaurants load up their tote bags with bread rolls, fruits and anything else they can fit in. People at cafes taking fist-fulls of the salt, pepper, sugar and anything else they can lay their hands on. Caravan parks lose toilet paper, soap, even bath mats. ALL stealing.

Its bad enough that they're stealing food but what's worse is they're proud enough of it to post video for the world. Disgusting behaviour for 'supposedly' grown adults. If I see it, I will confront them and report (to store manager) the culprit. If they do it, they can own it.

Reactions: Pat T and Ricci
Maybe Woolies should have fruit under the counter and give to kids when purchases are paid for.
Totally agree. It comes from bad parenting initially and a society that lets them get away with it and other elements that celebrate their thieving on social media as some sort of accomplishment. This is their claim to fame. Very sad and pathetic really. Exibiting their weak character.

I can’t sta
A series of recently uploaded videos have shed light on the 'disrespectful' behaviour of some Woolworths customers towards the 'Free Fruit For Kids' displays that are located in the supermarket.

In the videos posted on TikTok, two adult customers shamelessly boast about how they walk around the store eating the complimentary apples, bananas, and mandarin oranges that are intended for children.

Aside from eating the free fruit provided for children who accompany their parents in the supermarkets, the two customers also mentioned that they do not make any purchases in the store.

'Walking into Woolworths for the free fruit, pretending to shop whilst eating them and then leaving without buying anything,' the man wrote in his TikTok video. He filmed himself walking around the store while eating a banana, but neither a shopping cart nor a basket can be seen.

The same goes for the second Woolies shopper, who shared a clip of herself eating a banana in the store, along with the caption: 'Woolies employees watching me walk in, grab the free fruit for kids, walk around a bit then leave without buying anything.'

rLgX09ee5BHi721-7w6TprL-BGtNW1zsjIMlOspXabNwIpxXEQYXjO7aLvHaxopn3VIAVLsGZsdP0dgkmBIRxGsvXpvYKQdG-sAV8jZJCmlzCFT3d8P05wIkRzQy2fB82m9HcPiQxdvXydXyNW4

At Woolies, two adults admitted to taking the free fruit meant for kids. Credit: TikTok.

It came as no surprise that there was a backlash from several users on the platform after the two Woolies shoppers shared their behaviour while in the supermarket. Most said that the fruit is for kids, and that adults shouldn't be taking them.

'I feel like it's illegal doing it,' one person wrote in the comments, while a second described one of the shoppers as a 'menace to society.'

'You definitely shouldn't be going in just for this, knowing you're not going to buy anything,' said a third.

A fourth agreed and added, 'This is how good things will always come to an end. The idea is for kids to eat fruit, not for cheapskates taking advantage of the system.'

Surprisingly, not everyone reacted negatively to the two shoppers. Some of them admitted that they do the same thing sometimes, taking one or two fruit for themselves while in the store.

'My fiancé gets me one when we go shopping together,' one person commented, while another wrote: 'Not me going in with my baby pretending that's it's for him even though he is too small to eat.'

Someone who claimed to be a Woolworths team member has also commented on the post and said that these types of situations have been a recurring issue at their local store.

'As a fruit and veg worker at Woolies, I see this all day. The number of adults that do this…' the employee said.

xNrH_Xwo231jHHWwYNLyT4rXn60m7b9uHAv-5t43lsept-tzCPiRGwdUj4SBekiCW7FA8KKHuAazsM3IB1F8ZmCJWhZkaBB2uuGX-Sp2qA5b0NJlxqlawFKCPkgHKR7GsWY7rhliFr3uD7qExp4

The goal of the national 'free fruit' program is to encourage kids to eat more fruit. Credit: Triple M.

Woolworths first introduced its popular 'Free Fruit For Kids' campaign in 2015, offering a range of fresh produce for kids to enjoy while shopping with their parents.

Ever since the program started, children all across the country have been able to get free apples, bananas, pears, and mandarins when they are in season at Woolies locations.

The supermarket company estimates that more than 14,000 tons of free fruit, which is enough to fill more than six Olympic-sized swimming pools, have been given out to kids so far.

Paul Turner, the General Manager of Fruit and Vegetables at Woolworths, said, 'At Woolworths, we want to help kids get their recommended daily intake of fruit.'

'Providing Australian kids with more than 100 million pieces of free fruit is one of our largest community initiatives. It not only makes fresh fruit easily accessible for kids across Australia but is helping build a healthier future for our country.'

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you agree that these free fruit should be strictly for children only? Or do you think the adults can also get themselves a piece or two? Let us know in the comments

When holidaying in North Qld a couple if years ago I had my young grandson in his stroller and was shopping in Woolies. I asked where the free fruit was and the staff member advised me that they had decided not to continue with the stand, as backpackers were making a habit of helping themselves to the fruit then leaving the store.
The staffer gave my grandson a banana of course.
But this is what is likely to happen if inconsiderate smart-As continue, and encourage others to do the same.
Stores will stop providing the fruit.

I agree with the person above who suggested the staff hand it out to children.

When holidaying in North Qld a couple if years ago I had my young grandson in his stroller and was shopping in Woolies. I asked where the free fruit was and the staff member advised me that they had decided not to continue with the stand, as backpackers were making a habit of helping themselves to the fruit then leaving the store.
The staffer gave my grandson a banana of course.
But this is what is likely to happen if inconsiderate smart-As continue, and encourage others to do the same.
Stores will stop providing the fruit.

I agree with the person above who suggested the staff hand it out to children.
Great idea...

My blood boils over whenever stealing is spoken about especially in adults. Parents are entirely to blame for NOT telling their kids how wonderful W.W. are in GIVING free fruit especially to them being children.
In this way YOU should be responsible for the act. If they are too young to understand, leave the piece of fruit where it is and BUY it until they can understand. In their young stage YOU need to get through to them that YOU are not stealing for them. You are supposed to school them for NOT stealing, but for YOU to go around the store eating "forbidden fruit" that is not yours , don't you ever feel guilty???? No, you'll see the results when the kid of yours gets into trouble as a teenager & you will NEVER blame yourself. Where are your principles? In the gutter. My engine explodes when I come up against a cheat & a liar. It begins in some kids in a small way, but I lived long enough to learn that these people not only make it hard for others but for themselves. Don't think I had it all "silk & roses" growing up either. I had strict parents like all of us my age, but I can say I am glad because I am proud of what I have accomplished in my life. I even have a memory of the strap I suffered when I put threepence in the church plate & took twopence change. I told Dad being honest (@ 6 years of age) and STILL I got strapped around the legs. What a lesson. IT WORKED though. Today it's the parents who should not be strapped but should pay a little more attention to how they are bringing up their kids in such a selfish & troubled world. Simply TALK to them, LOVE them. Show them the humourous side of you so they can handle all sorts of things as they grow. Nature is so real in the development of human beings. We are blessed in parenthood: Untrained, thrown in the deep end thinking we know everything etc. It is US who earns the praise when we see our kids results. We did all we possibly could to rejoice with them. They had to do all the swatting whilst we grew anxious more.