Woolworths fined for selling stale fare, leaving customers feeling sour!

As we age, our health becomes an ever-increasing priority, and one of the cornerstones of maintaining good health is ensuring we have access to fresh, safe food.

That's why recent news from one of Australia's leading supermarkets has raised concerns among shoppers, especially those who frequent Woolworths for their weekly groceries.

Woolworths, a household name and a staple in many of our shopping routines, was slapped with a significant fine after a breach of food safety standards was discovered at its Seven Hills store in Sydney.

The New South Wales Government's Food Authority has taken action against the supermarket giant, issuing a penalty notice for $1,320 due to the sale of out-of-date food items.

compressed-shutterstock_1559323310.jpeg
Woolworths was fined $1,320 for selling food past its use-by date at its Seven Hills store in Sydney. Credits: Shutterstock

The incident, which occurred on December 19, 2023, was a serious misstep for the retailer, with the offence description listed as 'Sell food that is unsuitable—Corporation', while the nature of the offence was specifically related to the sale of food past its use-by date.

While the NSW Food Authority did not disclose the types of expired products involved, the penalty notice—published online on March 5, 2024 by Blacktown City Council—certainly caused a stir among consumers who trust Woolworths with their food safety.

In response to the incident, a Woolworths spokesperson expressed the company's disappointment and its commitment to food safety, stating that the fine imposed was already paid.

‘We take food safety very seriously and were disappointed to receive this feedback at our Seven Hills store,’ they stated.

‘The store was checked and steps were taken to rectify the issue immediately. Follow up visits occurred from our food safety team in the days following the report with no additional finds.’

‘We accepted the Food Premise Assessment Report, alongside the fine from Blacktown City Council which we paid promptly,’ they added.

It’s reported that food safety checks are a routine procedure at all major supermarkets across the country, and Woolworths is no exception.

As Woolworths faced fines for selling expired food items, highlighting concerns over food safety practices in retail outlets, a similar narrative unfolded in the hospitality sector.

A Sydney restaurant's significant penalties for unsafe food handling practices underscore the importance of stringent regulations and compliance across the entire food industry.

These incidents serve as poignant reminders of the critical need for vigilance in ensuring the safety and quality of food products, whether in supermarkets or dining establishments, to protect consumers from potential health risks.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket was fined $1,320 for selling out of date food at its Seven Hills store in Sydney.
  • The NSW Food Authority's penalty notice described the offence as the 'sale of food past its use-by date'.
  • Woolworths responded by saying it takes food safety seriously, has paid the fine, and that steps were taken to rectify the issue immediately.
  • Routine food safety checks are carried out at all major supermarkets across Australia.
Have you ever encountered out-of-date products at your local supermarket? How did you handle the situation? Let us know your stories and advice in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
We bought some lamb chops on a Wednesday afternoon with a due date of Saturday . went to cook them and they had gone green and smelt Thursday evening . We had to toss out $24 of meat . This was not Woolworths but Drakes

Reactions: Littleboy8
I have only once found an out-of-date product on the self at our local Woolworths and immediately pointed it out to one of the supervisors. The product was then taken off the shelf. Usually our local shop is very good and assistants seem to go through shelves each day and take any out-of-date products off the shelves straight away.

A couple of days I saw out of date milk at the front of the milk row at my local Woolworths store in Queensland. I love the Norco pure Jersey milk and the date on the front bottles read 2 April.

Well it obvious that Woolworths do NOT take food safety seriously!!
May I say “what a piss weak fine””, the person who imposed this fine needs to take a long hard look - this is food safety, not dropping litter!!

A couple of days I saw out of date milk at the front of the milk row at my local Woolworths store in Queensland. I love the Norco pure Jersey milk and the date on the front bottles read 2 April.
It would be easy to miss one bottle of milk in so many on a shelf. You should have just told one of the staff about it and they would have taken it away. I always buy Norco Lite milk but unfortunately I find it is often out of stock in our local Woolworths.

Reactions: Littleboy8
It would be easy to miss one bottle of milk in so many on a shelf. You should have just told one of the staff about it and they would have taken it away. I always buy Norco Lite milk but unfortunately I find it is often out of stock in our local Woolworths.
Probably cos it’s so popular and tastes like milk.😊

As if it would hurt or make Woolworth think again about selling out of date food.
The miserable, unjustifiable, and laughable fine of just $1,320 dollars is like a drop in the ocean for them and definitely not issued as a deterrent.
A real bloody joke.
They make that in profit in 5 minutes

We bought some lamb chops on a Wednesday afternoon with a due date of Saturday . went to cook them and they had gone green and smelt Thursday evening . We had to toss out $24 of meat . This was not Woolworths but Drakes
Should have said they had been refrigerated the whole time