Woolworths' Everyday Rewards scheme under scrutiny: ‘It’s black and white price gouging’

The Woolworths Everyday Rewards program is designed to give customers discounts and special offers.

However, a recent accusation has sparked a debate over whether the supermarket giant is engaging in what some call 'black and white price gouging.'

A shopper's revelation of a stark price difference for a store product has raised eyebrows and questions about the fairness of such pricing strategies.

The shopper's social media post showcased a side-by-side comparison of the regular and member prices of a Dove body wash.

The prices, which were $17 for non-members and $8.50 for Every Rewards members, have struck a nerve with many Australians, garnering a wave of responses.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 7.11.35 AM.png
A shopper criticised Woolworths’ price difference between non-members and Everyday Rewards Members. Credit: @daniel.czerwik / TikTok

One user commented, ‘No matter how you look at it, half-price just admits that the full price is a gouging.’

The debate has extended to the value of signing up for loyalty programs like Everyday Rewards. While some customers are comfortable sharing personal details, others are wary of the potential privacy implications.

‘If they want to breach my privacy about buying broccoli, pads, bread and milk, they can have it,’ a woman said.

‘What info do you have on there that you don’t want them to see?’ Another added.

Woolworths has defended its pricing strategy, stating that the Everyday Rewards program is part of its commitment to helping Australian families, and it is doing ‘more everyday to help customers spend less with us’.

‘Our Everyday Rewards program helps members save hundreds of dollars every year by scanning their card and boosting offers,’ an Everyday Rewards spokesperson said.

‘Member Pricing is another example of the benefits of being an Everyday Rewards member. Outside of our Everyday Rewards program, Woolworths has thousands of products on special every week.’

You can watch the video below:

Credit: @daniel.czerwik / TikTok

Finder Consumer Expert Taylor Blackburn also weighed in.

He said that while loyalty programs are popular—91 per cent of Australians participate in at least one, with the majority taking part in Woolworths Everyday Rewards—the member pricing system can leave non-participants feeling disadvantaged.

‘While it's fair to say that seven in 10 Aussies are getting the member price, $17 for soap would leave those who don't want to take part feeling dirty,’ he said.

Blackburn continued: ‘Member pricing has long been the carrot in the supermarket space, but in this case, you could argue it is being used as a stick.’

‘Membership has its benefits, but this is a good reminder to stay vigilant and know what things cost in the market. Especially on toiletries, you can often find these items for less at a chemist or online.’

‘Whether it's a litre of soap or 10GB of data on a mobile network if you think you are paying too much, you are probably right.’

Eagle-eyed shoppers have recently called out an Easter product from Woolworths for its price-dropped label despite being a dollar higher than last year.

Leading consumer advocacy group CHOICE pointed out that pricing strategies aren’t isolated incidents. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper highlighted what he considers price gouging at Woolworths for a Dove body wash, showing a significant price difference for Everyday Rewards members versus non-members.
  • The shopper's social media post attracted widespread agreement, with one comment suggesting that half-price offers prove the full price is price gouging.
  • Woolworths defended its pricing strategy by stating that the Everyday Rewards program is designed to help customers save money and that it offers thousands of products on special offer each week.
  • Finder's Consumer Expert Taylor Blackburn suggested that while loyalty programs offer benefits, consumers should remain vigilant about prices and explore other retail options for better deals.
Are you a loyalty program member in any store? Do you also notice any price differences from them? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
If you don't want to be a member, that's fine, I am not a member myself.
However, we can't then complain about the member price. The choice is yours.
I certainly wouldn't pay the over inflated price. You could buy it much cheaper at Chemist Warehouse, maybe the Reject shop, etc.
I do wish people would stop complaining about things like this or self serve,etc. everyone has a choice. Use the self serve or not, have a membership or not. Your choice,stop whinging, you can't have it both ways.

I certainly wouldn't pay the over inflated price. You could buy it much cheaper at Chemist Warehouse, maybe the Reject shop, etc.
I do wish people would stop complaining about things like this or self serve,etc. everyone has a choice. Use the self serve or not, have a membership or not. Your choice,stop whinging, you can't have it both ways.
The pricing is a way of coercing people into signing up for the Rewards Program.

Rewards members' purchases of the 1/2 priced items:

1. inform the organisation about customer preferences; and

2. indicate what should be stocked and in what quantities; and

3. still provide the organisation with a profit per item so you can see the large profit derived from the full priced item sold to non Rewards members.

With everything costing so much these days, very few customers could make the choice (a real choice) to not join.

You can, that's good but many can't.

I purchased a caesar salad a few weeks ago. The $6 version I usually buy was out so I picked up the $8.50 version. This has always been its usual price. It's more expensive but it does have chicken.
At the checkout it scanned $14. The MEMBERS price was $8.50. It had always been $8.50 before. They added $6 to the price and then claimed only members get the lower price.? That's just price gouging and I call it out!
Bull twaddle!

Supermarkets aren't the only companies that enjoyed inflated prices over the last few years with the covid lockdown period.
In fact most gloated about it .. Harvey Norman included.
The fact is prices haven't decreased since. I blame Ceo's and board members with wanting more dollars.
Everybody has a choice to use whatever supermarket or reward points they want.
Last I checked, I have $413 with flybuys. That's my win as it's 1 point per $1 spent.

The pricing is a way of coercing people into signing up for the Rewards Program.

3. still provide the organisation with a profit per item so you can see the large profit derived from the full priced item sold to non Rewards members.

With everything costing so much these days, very few customers could make the choice (a real choice) to not join.

The choice to be a member gives you the chance to make much more in savings,including 10%
off one shop per month, along with the member only 50% off specials,so I don't see your point.
I still say the choice is yours. You will save more being a member than not, so if you are struggling it is more sensible to be a member than not, if you prefer to shop at Woolies.
Which I do not.

Well said and I agree 💯%🤠

Non-members are simply subsidising members. One is almost compelled to be a member.

Reactions: Macarj

No one in this country is forced or coerced to join any rewards programme. Stop talking nonsense,if people have a brain, it is called CHOICE!