Woolworths' eco-friendly Christmas solution raises eyebrows for some shoppers

The holiday season brings out the best in people—as well as heaps of extra waste from gift wrapping, shopping bags, packaging materials, food scraps, and more.

As one of Australia's largest supermarkets, Woolworths wanted to spearhead a solution to this yearly environmental headache.

This year, Woolworths offers limited-edition Christmas Paper Shopping Bags that can be designed into wrapping paper for your Christmas gifts.

The bags are said to be 70 per cent recycled and cost 25 cents a piece.

20231123_095103_0000.png
Woolworths introduced its limited-edition Christmas shopping bag that can be used as wrapping paper. Merged photo credit: Seniors Discount Club

However, this move has left many with mixed opinions regarding its durability.

'I can't reuse mine because it broke and all my groceries fell out on the driveway this afternoon,' one Woolies customer griped.

'They're probably better off used as wrapping paper because they don't function well as bags. Put one bottle or anything heavy in there, and it rips,' said another.

However, for Vanessa, a shopper from Sydney, the holiday bags serve a greater purpose. She said that it had dotted lines that you could cut to make a brown-patterned Christmas paper.

She was delighted to discover this and stated that it can be put to other good uses, too.

'I love to recycle, and I use the bags to stuff my packaging so things don't rattle around,' she said.

'It saves me from buying so much paper.’

You can also use the bags to line kitchen and wardrobe drawers.

You can watch the video below:

Some shoppers were thrilled with the 'money-saving' budget tip.

‘I actually love this! Because otherwise, those paper bags have no purpose,’ one said.

Another commented, ‘So good. It doesn't look bad either, I thought it would look super tacky.’

Others expressed doubts and were disappointed with the results, saying it was still an expensive option and that they ‘looked worse’ than regular wrapping paper.

'Good idea, but really expensive Christmas paper when you factor in how much you can wrap compared to a roll,' one customer wrote.

'I don't get a chance to cut the handles off—they break off in two seconds when you use them,' another chipped in.

'I tried this, but my sticky tape kept unsticking from the paper,' a mum said.

'Didn't work!'

Similarly, some shoppers have been frustrated with the use of paper bags ever since major supermarkets have shifted to this greener alternative for groceries. They complained that this is an added challenge of remembering to bring reusable bags. Read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has released limited edition Christmas shopping bags that double as wrapping paper.
  • The 25-cent recyclable bags have been praised as a sustainable option since most gift wraps are non-recyclable.
  • Some customers have criticised the strength and durability of the bags, stating they easily tear when carrying heavier items.
  • While some shoppers appreciate the innovation, others have claimed that using paper bags as gift wrap is relatively expensive.
What do you think of Woolworths’s Christmas shopping bags? Have you tried using them for wrapping presents? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
The holiday season brings out the best in people—as well as heaps of extra waste from gift wrapping, shopping bags, packaging materials, food scraps, and more.

As one of Australia's largest supermarkets, Woolworths wanted to spearhead a solution to this yearly environmental headache.

This year, Woolworths offers limited-edition Christmas Paper Shopping Bags that can be designed into wrapping paper for your Christmas gifts.

View attachment 35557
Woolworths introduced its limited-edition Christmas shopping bag that can be used as wrapping paper. Merged photo credit: Seniors Discount Club

'I can't reuse mine because it broke and all my groceries fell out on the driveway this afternoon,' one Woolies customer griped.

'They're probably better off used as wrapping paper because they don't function well as bags. Put one bottle or anything heavy in there, and it rips,' said another.

However, for Vanessa, a shopper from Sydney, the holiday bags serve a greater purpose. She said that it had dotted lines that you could cut to make a brown-patterned Christmas paper.

She was delighted to discover this and stated that it can be put to other good uses, too.

'I love to recycle, and I use the bags to stuff my packaging so things don't rattle around,' she said.

‘I actually love this! Because otherwise, those paper bags have no purpose,’ one said.

Another commented, ‘So good. It doesn't look bad either, I thought it would look super tacky.’

Others expressed doubts and were disappointed with the results, saying it was still an expensive option and that they ‘looked worse’ than regular wrapping paper.

'Good idea, but really expensive Christmas paper when you factor in how much you can wrap compared to a roll,' one customer wrote.

'I don't get a chance to cut the handles off—they break off in two seconds when you use them,' another chipped in.

'Didn't work!'

Similarly, some shoppers have been frustrated with the use of paper bags ever since major supermarkets have shifted to this greener alternative for groceries. They complained that this is an added challenge of remembering to bring reusable bags. Read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has released limited edition Christmas shopping bags that double as wrapping paper.
  • The 25-cent recyclable bags have been praised as a sustainable option since most gift wraps are non-recyclable.
  • Some customers have criticised the strength and durability of the bags, stating they easily tear when carrying heavier items.
  • While some shoppers appreciate the innovation, others have claimed that using paper bags as gift wrap is relatively expensive.
What do you think of Woolworths’s Christmas shopping bags? Have you tried using them for wrapping presents? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

I have never bought any of these bags. For many many years I have used my own carry bags. As soon as they are emptied at home we put them in front of our outside kitchen door. Whoever walks outside next, picks them up & puts them in the car. We NEVER forget our shoppings bags by doing this. Anyone can do this? Shops are making extra money by selling these bags.

I have never bought any of these bags. For many many years I have used my own carry bags. As soon as they are emptied at home we put them in front of our outside kitchen door. Whoever walks outside next, picks them up & puts them in the car. We NEVER forget our shoppings bags by doing this. Anyone can do this? Shops are making extra money by selling these bags.
I am the same, I always empty the bag and then stack them by the door so when I go out, I put them back in the car.

I absolutely LOVE the Woolies 99 cent foldable carry bags, they are so strong and they fold away so small, I can put 8 in my handbag and still have room for wallet, phone etc. I have gradually phased out the other carry bags in favour of these for portability, and strength. I also LOVE the bright green colour - it makes the task of shopping that much brighter (even if we are putting less in our grocery carts due to high living costs!!)

I had a lovely fellow senior lady comment to me the other day on the bright colour of the bag and how it put a smile on her face! I was so touched that when I saw she had one of those shop bought flimsy paper bags and was faced with a walk home with a bag full of groceries, I went back to my car, found a spare bright green Woolies bag, and then drove up and gave it to her and also offered her a lift home. She declined the lift but the bag put such a good smile on her face, she really made my day! 99 cents well spent I say!

Not everyone remembers to take bags or buy more than they thought so buy a paper bag. Why worry about what they look like,it’s the thought that counts. Christmas paper ends up in landfill anyway. Some people are too picky.

View attachment 35557

'Didn't work!'

Key Takeaways

I love these bags and my first thought was for Xmas presents because they are tough and the Chrissy patterns are great. 😁

Same here.
I have been using home made totes for many many years. I don't care if the checkout operators find them too large. Also, the self checkouts don't like them much, but I don't care about that either because it means a real human comes to help me. My bags are durable, convenient, easy to carry and so much better to unpack from the car boot. I use what is most convenient for me and made with natural fabric cut offs. I think the one I have had for the longest time is coming to its 15th year. Beats the heck out of 45c paper pretenders.

Same here.
I have been using home made totes for many many years. I don't care if the checkout operators find them too large. Also, the self checkouts don't like them much, but I don't care about that either because it means a real human comes to help me. My bags are durable, convenient, easy to carry and so much better to unpack from the car boot. I use what is most convenient for me and made with natural fabric cut offs. I think the one I have had for the longest time is coming to its 15th year. Beats the heck out of 45c paper pretenders.
They don’t cost .45c try .25c 😁

Reactions: KaraJenna