Woolworths ditches cult favourite ‘Bag for Good’ for a new version and customers are not happy - Here's why

We’ve all been there – we pop into our local supermarket to grab a couple of items, and before we know it, we’re picking up a few more things that we probably don’t need.

It happens to the best of us! But while grocery shopping can often be an unplanned event, there is one thing that many of us try to remember: to bring our own reusable bags.

These days, most major supermarkets charge for plastic bags (and quite rightly so), so it pays to be prepared by bringing along some sturdy green totes or even some smaller canvas ones. Trust us – your arms will thank you later!

But what do you do when the supermarket itself gets rid of its reusable bags? That’s exactly what’s happened at Woolworths recently when the popular grocery store decided to ditch its iconic ‘Bag for Good’ green reusable bag from all stores across Australia.

The popular bags gained a cult following among shoppers thanks to Woolworths' pledge that it will replace any damaged or torn 99c bags at no cost.

a40bf3af06603006b9957fe384d5414453e25a92-16x9-x0y1w1200h675.jpg

The green reusable Bag for Good bags from Woolworths has gained a cult following. Credit: Woolworths.

However, the bags have since been phased out in favour of a new design composed of 70% recycled material, according to a Woolworths representative.

The spokesperson said: 'We have been gradually running down stock of our green Bag for Good totes, with a sturdy new-look 99-cent tote bag set to take its place.'

'Our new reusable 99-cent bag is made from 70 per cent recycled material and has already started to roll out across stores.'

'Our paper shopping bags and other bag options continue to be available to customers as well.'

'We’ve seen a significant shift in shopping habits in recent years with 80 per cent of our customers now bringing their own bags to shop.'

The redesigned 99-cent tote bags are now available in NSW, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania, and WA. Additionally, Woolies confirmed that the bags will also be rolled out to stores in SA and NT in the coming weeks.

While it is acknowledged that the new 99 bags do not come with a replace-for-free guarantee, it is asserted that they are still even more durable than the ‘Bag for Good.’

It is also worth noting that Woolworths will still honour the replace-for-free offer on any already-purchased ‘Bag for Good’ bags. A replacement bag of equal value will be provided by Woolworths in the event that a ‘Bag for Good’ is destroyed.

47baad44be71a2b52dbada58b7597de9f4189e34-161x229-x34y0w1012h1440.jpg

Customers loved the idea of getting a free replacement for any damaged Bag for Good. Credit: Woolworths/Seven.

Several Woolies shoppers expressed their disappointment over the move on social media, saying that they felt that the iconic reusable bag was something that was good for the environment.

One person questioned: 'Had to buy a bag at Woolworths yesterday. What happened to the non-woven Bag for Good with free replacement on damage?'

'The option of polypropylene bag feels much weaker.'

Fans of the Bag for Good have coined it as 'indestructible' as claims have shown the bag, if managed properly and handled with care, can last for years and can be easily replaced if damaged.

One customer claimed: 'The Bag for Good has long been my favourite, in all the years I’ve had them I’ve only needed to replace one.'

In an effort to be more eco-friendly, retailers are starting to adopt sustainable practices. This means that consumers can expect some changes in the way businesses operate.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket has controversially decided to discontinue its popular Bag for Good green reusable bags from all stores nationally.
  • The retail giant is instead introducing a new version of the bag, made from 70 per cent recycled material, which will retail for 99c.
  • Woolworths has faced criticism from customers over the decision, with many arguing that the new bags are not as durable as the Bag for Good.
  • However, the company has defended the move, arguing that the new bags are more environmentally friendly.

While there may be things that we need to get time to get used to, ultimately these changes should result in a net positive for the environment.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on this? Hurray or nay? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I remember shopping with my grandmother when I was young and all we had was either nan's string bag or the woollies brown paper bags that had no handles . She later purchased her trolley.

I wonder what they will use for online shopping ?

I have hundreds of those green bags and by the time they run out I'm sure there will be even another bag change.

I have thousands of plastic bags as I shop mostly on line and have no choice but to pay 15c a bag.

They need to fix this problem

We’ve all been there – we pop into our local supermarket to grab a couple of items, and before we know it, we’re picking up a few more things that we probably don’t need.

It happens to the best of us! But while grocery shopping can often be an unplanned event, there is one thing that many of us try to remember: to bring our own reusable bags.

These days, most major supermarkets charge for plastic bags (and quite rightly so), so it pays to be prepared by bringing along some sturdy green totes or even some smaller canvas ones. Trust us – your arms will thank you later!

But what do you do when the supermarket itself gets rid of its reusable bags? That’s exactly what’s happened at Woolworths recently when the popular grocery store decided to ditch its iconic ‘Bag for Good’ green reusable bag from all stores across Australia.

The popular bags gained a cult following among shoppers thanks to Woolworths' pledge that it will replace any damaged or torn 99c bags at no cost.

The green reusable Bag for Good bags from Woolworths has gained a cult following. Credit: Woolworths.

However, the bags have since been phased out in favour of a new design composed of 70% recycled material, according to a Woolworths representative.

The spokesperson said: 'We have been gradually running down stock of our green Bag for Good totes, with a sturdy new-look 99-cent tote bag set to take its place.'

'Our new reusable 99-cent bag is made from 70 per cent recycled material and has already started to roll out across stores.'

'Our paper shopping bags and other bag options continue to be available to customers as well.'

'We’ve seen a significant shift in shopping habits in recent years with 80 per cent of our customers now bringing their own bags to shop.'

The redesigned 99-cent tote bags are now available in NSW, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania, and WA. Additionally, Woolies confirmed that the bags will also be rolled out to stores in SA and NT in the coming weeks.

While it is acknowledged that the new 99 bags do not come with a replace-for-free guarantee, it is asserted that they are still even more durable than the ‘Bag for Good.’

It is also worth noting that Woolworths will still honour the replace-for-free offer on any already-purchased ‘Bag for Good’ bags. A replacement bag of equal value will be provided by Woolworths in the event that a ‘Bag for Good’ is destroyed.

Customers loved the idea of getting a free replacement for any damaged Bag for Good. Credit: Woolworths/Seven.

Several Woolies shoppers expressed their disappointment over the move on social media, saying that they felt that the iconic reusable bag was something that was good for the environment.

One person questioned: 'Had to buy a bag at Woolworths yesterday. What happened to the non-woven Bag for Good with free replacement on damage?'

Fans of the Bag for Good have coined it as 'indestructible' as claims have shown the bag, if managed properly and handled with care, can last for years and can be easily replaced if damaged.

One customer claimed: 'The Bag for Good has long been my favourite, in all the years I’ve had them I’ve only needed to replace one.'

In an effort to be more eco-friendly, retailers are starting to adopt sustainable practices. This means that consumers can expect some changes in the way businesses operate.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket has controversially decided to discontinue its popular Bag for Good green reusable bags from all stores nationally.
  • The retail giant is instead introducing a new version of the bag, made from 70 per cent recycled material, which will retail for 99c.
  • Woolworths has faced criticism from customers over the decision, with many arguing that the new bags are not as durable as the Bag for Good.
  • However, the company has defended the move, arguing that the new bags are more environmentally friendly.

While there may be things that we need to get time to get used to, ultimately these changes should result in a net positive for the environment.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on this? Hurray or nay? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

I remember shopping with my grandmother when I was young and all we had was either nan's string bag or the woollies brown paper bags that had no handles . She later purchased her trolley.

I have hundreds of those green bags and by the time they run out I'm sure there will be even another bag change.

I have thousands of plastic bags as I shop mostly on line and have no choice but to pay 15c a bag.

If you shop on line, give them back to delivery person, if you have so many, where do you keep them.

Reactions: Suzanne rose

On-line shopping bags should be returned and recycled by the supermarkets

Key Takeaways

At the checkout I put my bought item back into the trolley and wheel that out to the car boot where I have chill bags and a cardboard box waiting. I don’t understand why more people with cars don’t do this

It was the thing to do when I was young, to take your own bags to the shops. We also never threw away useful things like brown paper or string or butter papers ( reused in cooking cakes). It was a time of austerity during & just after the war & people were careful with everything that might cost them money. Then along came the throwaway days when we really stuffed up the planet. Bring back the careful days by always having a bag in your car or as I do handbag. We didn't create climate change by using fossil fuels. We created an uncaring throwaway society that thinks more about their needs than the world we live in!

If you shop on line, give them back to delivery person, if you have so many, where do you keep them.
I have a large cane basket in my laundry that I store them in folded up small, my kids come a grab then as they need them but every week around 10 more are added.
I never use my clothes dryer and just found out hubby folded alot up and has stored them in the dryer..

• Haha
Reactions: robbie's
Keep a few cardboard boxes in yr car. Toss shopping back in trolley & pack it into boxes & bags when you get back to yr car! That’s what I’ve wound up doing lately. Always have a folded up nylon bag in my shoulder bag for carrying things I may buy coming thru town, so that is always useful.

Key Takeaways

you can choose paper bags lesser of the two evils I think

Reactions: Suzanne rose