Woolworths CEO faces confrontation over 'price gouging' accusations

In a world where every penny counts, the last thing you want to hear is that your trusted supermarket might be taking more of it than it should.

That's exactly the concern raised in a recent confrontation between a shopper and the CEO of Woolworths, one of Australia's leading grocery chains.

The incident, which was captured on video and has since gone viral, highlights the growing unease among consumers about the practices of big supermarkets during these financially challenging times.

The video, which has racked up nearly half a million views, shows a bold shopper in a Woolworths store in Wollongong, NSW, directly questioning the company's Chief Executive, Amanda Bardwell, about the issue of price gouging.

'What do you have to say to the fact that your company is profiting off price gouging during the context of the cost of living crisis?' the shopper asked.

1727321753954.png
During the cost-of-living crisis, a shopper confronted Woolworths CEO Amanda Bardwell in a NSW store. Credit: Shutterstock

Ms Bardwell's response, which some online commentators have described as 'generic' and 'robotic,' was that Woolworths is 'doing everything we can to recognise that customers are doing it tough to make sure that they’re able to get great prices.'

However, the shopper was not satisfied, pressing the question, 'Can you sleep at night knowing that?'

This exchange highlights the tension between corporate assurances and consumer scepticism.

With the rising cost of living, families are indeed 'doing it tough,' as Prime Minister Anthony Albanese recently pointed out.

The government has proposed a new grocery code that could impose multimillion-dollar penalties on supermarkets for serious breaches, including misleading claims about discounts.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has alleged that Woolworths and Coles engaged in deceptive practices by increasing prices by at least 15 per cent before applying promotional discount stickers, resulting in prices higher than before the hike.

Woolworths reportedly did this for 266 products in its Prices Dropped promotion over 20 months, while Coles allegedly did it for 245 products in its Down Down promotion across 15 months.

In the face of these allegations, Woolworths has stated that it will review the ACCC's claims and continue to engage with the commission on the matter.

Ms Bardwell also emphasised, ‘We remain committed to offering many ways for customers to save at the checkout, including thousands of weekly specials, everyday low prices on household essentials, a great value own brand range and through our Everyday Rewards program.'

You can watch the video below (Disclaimer: This video contains swear words):

Credit: TikTok

Key Takeaways

• A shopper confronted Woolworths CEO Amanda Bardwell in a NSW store, accusing the company of price gouging during the cost-of-living crisis.
  • The shopper questioned how the CEO could 'sleep at night', suggesting Woolworths profited at struggling Australians' expense.
  • The CEO responded by stating that the team is doing everything they can to support customers, while a staff member mentioned that prices had been lowered across the store.
  • The encounter comes amidst broader criticism and legal action against major Australian supermarkets for allegedly misleading discount claims.
Have you noticed price increases disguised as discounts? How do you ensure you're getting the best value for your money when grocery shopping? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited:
Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
Good on the person for confronting the CEO. It just shows how we are a struggling. It won't make any difference to the CEO. She would be on an excellent wage and would not have to worry week to week how she will pay her bills or groceries or have to say no to children because mum and dad don't have the money to take the kids out for a day. It's totally over the top.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Not sure if the shopper is genuinely trying to convey her frustration and speak for others to the CEO, or just wanting some attention. She definitely has succeeded with the attention aspect.

The “little people” won’t make any difference. Only when legal action is served will there be any difference.

The Woolworths CEO, the homeless dude begging in a Melbourne shopfront, Michael Buble, the checkout chick at Bunnings, that fella in the wheelchair with cerebral palsy.

Tell me the difference.

None, they are all people on equal standing as human beings. Actors, politicians, sportspersons, singers, business people - they are no better or worse than you or me. Why people turn into blubbering messes upon seeing a "famous" person is beyond me!

These arse licking fools who worship their false living idols are sickening. And curtseying to royalty? I wouldn't waste my time spitting at their feet!

I find I notice this when a product seems to suddenly, become unavailable only to appear a few weeks later at a slightly higher price. Having at one time, prior to being married in the late 60's, worked in a supermarket for a time known that not all Specials were that Special at all. However, being a type 1 diabetic and having many food sensitivities to deal with I find it very hard when suddenly a product (such as a certain biscuit) disappears off the shelf Never to be heard of again. I pay very close attention to the costs of the food items I buy from fortnight to fortnight and also the labelling including where and by whom they are manufactured.

I find I notice this when a product seems to suddenly, become unavailable only to appear a few weeks later at a slightly higher price. Having at one time, prior to being married in the late 60's, worked in a supermarket for a time known that not all Specials were that Special at all. However, being a type 1 diabetic and having many food sensitivities to deal with I find it very hard when suddenly a product (such as a certain biscuit) disappears off the shelf Never to be heard of again. I pay very close attention to the costs of the food items I buy from fortnight to fortnight and also the labelling including where and by whom they are manufactured.
A common tactic amongst retailers..... products to disappear for no less than 3 weeks to reappear with a different packaging at a significantly higher price or the weight/size of the product at a higher price. Scoundrels the whole bunch of them.
In marketing terms the 3 weeks is the psychological period in which people forget the original price.

• Wow
Reactions: magpie1