Woolworths blasted over viral ‘price drop’ photo

As Australian consumers gear up for the joy and celebrations of Easter, many are scouting the aisles for treats and festive goodies.

But in this economic climate, where every cent counts, a viral photo of a beloved seasonal treat taken at a Woolworths has revealed a less-sweet reality.

Shoppers eager to fill their baskets with chocolatey delights have stumbled upon a frustrating find: Cadbury Easter eggs, nestled invitingly on shelves with discounted tags that may not be all they're cracked up to be.

A vigilant customer noticed that a 440g bag of Cadbury’s Dairy Milk Egg Bags carried a 'prices dropped' label despite being priced a dollar higher than last year, catching the behemoth retailer in what looks to be a bit of marketing sleight of hand.

This year, the bag boasts a price of $12, up from a previous $11, albeit having briefly touched a high of $13.50 before Easter.

Nevertheless, the price drop claim isn't sitting well with eagle-eyed shoppers.

compressed-Screenshot_1 (1).jpeg
A price discrepancy at a Woolworths ahead of Easter triggered intense discussions online. Image credit: Reddit

Leading consumer advocacy group CHOICE pointed out pricing strategies aren't just isolated incidents.

They discovered that 83 per cent of Aussie shoppers are baffled by in-store promotional ploys, leaving them uncertain whether they've snagged a bargain or been subtly duped.

Menacing tactics such as faux specials and deceptive discount labels muddy the retail waters, causing dismay for consumers.

Bea Sherwood, a Senior Campaigns and Policy Adviser from CHOICE, highlighted an easy yet overlooked method to discern a deal reasonably: checking the unit price. It is the most reliable way to ascertain whether you're genuinely pocketing a saving or clutching a cleverly marketed price.

In another viral post online, eagle-eyed customers also spotted a chocolate bunny sold at Coles for $10—about $4 per kilogram. This was enough for some to remember times when Easter treats were more affordable.

One shopper recalled, ‘Geez, I remember when you could buy Easter eggs for less than $5!! Also remember getting a really nice mint one from the local market, which was so good and only cost about $2!! and it was a decent size too.’

Another one noted, ‘Inflation is officially out of control.’

Another person also commented, ‘I remember when these were only $1. I'm struggling as it is, imagine if you're a family on a single income.’

Since the discovery went viral, both Coles and Woolworths have subtly lowered the price of their chocolate bunnies.

Coles dropped its bunny to $7, while Woolworths shaved off $2, bringing it down to $8.

Coles however clarified its price drop was unrelated to the online post.

In response to the issue, Cadbury stated: ‘The size, shape, and pricing of our Cadbury Dairy Milk range are tailored to enhance the eating experience and suit different product types. Our 250g bunny mentioned in the (social media) post has maintained its price since last year. Cadbury remains steadfast in our commitment to providing chocolate of the highest quality, crafted in Australia with the best local ingredients.’

Woolworths has yet to respond about the matter as of writing.

This isn't an isolated ordeal. Last Easter, the high cost of Cadbury eggs, which hit $20 for a 400g package, left consumers aghast.

Consumer and Retail Expert Gary Mortimer explained the premium on Easter chocolates is accounted for by their intricate shapes and the complexities in manufacturing them.

Add to this the campaign of general inflation and a spike in cocoa prices driven by adverse weather in West Africa, and you have the recipe for soaring Easter treat costs.

compressed-james-lee-9PzkBxAyEJA-unsplash.jpeg
Make celebrations fun without hurting your budget. Images credit: James Lee/Unsplash

Shop wisely to protect your money from sneaky pricing tactics and hold stores accountable for honest pricing.

In times when frugality is not just prudent but necessary, it pays to stay vigilant.

Key Takeaways

• A photo has circulated showing a Cadbury Easter egg product at Woolworths tagged with 'price dropped' despite being more expensive than the previous year.
  • Consumer advocacy group CHOICE highlighted that confusing promotional practices in supermarkets make it difficult for shoppers to know if they are really getting a deal.
  • Both Coles and Woolworths have been scrutinised for alleged deceptive pricing tactics amidst rising inflation and consumer discontent.
  • A retail expert explained that the production complexity of Easter eggs and increased cocoa prices due to poor weather in West Africa might have led to higher costs.
Members, what are some of your favourite Easter treats to shop for and include in your shopping list? Did you notice any price differences this year? Share some of them in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Good morning.
Maybe you should reread this article before it confuses too many people.
The chocolate bunny from Coles for $10 should be $4.00 for 100 grams , not $4.00 for 1 kilo.
If they were really $4.00 per kilo I can guarantee that there would be none left to purchase anywhere.
Veronica Ohl

Lots are jumping in price my hubby drinks green tea, its normal was over $13 so we always bought it when on special which we did 2 weeks at $6.75, last weel it had a special ticket on it for $8.10. NOT HAPPY

Reactions: Macarj
Thankfully in our home we rarely buy this crap anymore. Kids (under 10) don't like eating chocolate anymore as they prefer a more spicy flavour now a days.

Reactions: Macarj
Easter eggs & bunnies are luxuries which are totally unnecessary. I know the kids love them but they also have to learn the value of money & this is a unique time to teach them about the cost of the item & what will have to be forgone to balance the family budget.

Easter eggs & bunnies are luxuries which are totally unnecessary. I know the kids love them but they also have to learn the value of money & this is a unique time to teach them about the cost of the item & what will have to be forgone to balance the family budget.
are you a grouchy easter bunny?

• Haha
Reactions: LeahI
What about balancing their childhood, its once a year.

My father would buy us chocolate as an Easter treat, but would explain that the eggs were not value for money. I am always grateful for his balance of caring and education.

"Consumer and Retail Expert Gary Mortimer explained the premium on Easter chocolates is accounted for by their intricate shapes and the complexities in manufacturing them."

What a crock. They've been making them for years so they should be damn good at it by now. What he really means is that they are being made thinner so as to use less chocolate so the intricate shapes are more delicate. And the complexity in manufacturing is the adjustments required to equipment to make them smaller and thinner.

I have noticed the price of Easter eggs this year. I’ve still bought them but I’m spacing them out and buying a couple at a time. At least now I’m diabetic I’m not eating them myself and having to do a last minute rush to replace them just before Easter lol

Reactions: Wandiwa
They state as a reason for the price hike as ' complexity ' of manufacture which is a falacy! Easter eggs are made in plastic moulds which are used year in year out.