Woolworths announces major changes to trading hours - here are the full details

For our members who regularly shop at Woolworths, the retailer has recently announced some major changes to the business hours and operations of the deli, seafood, and meat departments in all of its stores across the country.

A Woolworths spokesperson has confirmed that opening and closing hours will be changed to ensure greater operation consistency across the country, meaning some stores will now open or close one hour later or one hour earlier than usual.

Customers are encouraged to visit this page to learn more about how the change has affected the operating hours of their local Woolworths store.

Meanwhile, the operating hours of Woolworths' fresh service counters have also been shortened — regardless of an individual store's operating hours, the supermarket's deli, meat, and seafood section will close at either 7 or 8 pm starting August 1.

Xhv-kZH1ToMpf3Flm1dUWt6LXD93W1HigDKk1Lx-BceAOqsub1g3D6pxkHT2GdbOxxLZdKA2Q8TlKzqNomszMs8C-TU-aoawV17a4-I4jD13V0saGNQa6kY-t-MYTXSU1NY4EtlHhy-h9GiRnh-1uQ

Woolworths implemented major changes to the operation schedule to stay consistent with the trading hours in all of its stores in the country. Credit: Getty Images.

The spokesperson also added that these changes were made after 'careful consideration'.

'We’ve made a change to the trading hours of our fresh service counters nationwide, due to a shift in customer shopping behaviour. This includes our meat, seafood and deli counters,' the representative explained.

'Customers can still purchase similar products, such as chicken breast fillets and salmon, within our packed Fresh Convenience range located in-store.'

'We’ve also moved to standardise our overall operating hours so we can offer a consistent customer experience across our store network.'

'Select stores across the country will open one hour later or close one hour earlier to align with other stores and better match customer shopping patterns.'

'We’ll closely monitor customer and team member feedback over the next few months.'

Social media users have already expressed varying opinions on the change in Woolworths' deli, meat, and seafood trade hours.

One Woolies customer disagreed with the retailer's decision, arguing that all of the store's services need to be accessible during regular business hours.

The shopper wrote: 'If Woolworths proceeds to limit services within their stores from 7 pm onwards, we will no longer be using their services.'

'Shoppers need to remember that Woolworths openly asked and endorsed extended grocery store trading hours for 9 pm.'

'Now that they have these, they don’t want to provide you with that service.'

'As someone who works irregular hours, I typically do my shopping after 8 pm - and now I can no longer get access to the service deli.'

b3syWBhScw24TGpFTHg-WJ1JkYuCbuuda9RoxAhMRiVyoVSDIH9exFd4ZEnc2_FEGmK9-obHiB87OgEtwerg-DNY5AXFv3tV7iefOOVzE6k_w5KSiyd9biZKoBVsP0tovdR-NhEVoxhkMAh3w9xMpQ

The supermarket's deli, meat, and seafood section will close at either 7 or 8 pm starting 1st August regardless of trade hours of individual stores. Credit: Getty Images.

However, other customers agree it was a wise decision for Woolworths staff, with one person writing: 'It makes absolutely no sense to keep the deli open until the store closes given how long it takes to clean.'

Another explained: 'They have made this decision because the sales in the last hour just aren’t there. They are running a business, not a public service.'

It is understood that Woolworths trialled the new initiative before approving the change. According to reports, the new schedule was tested at a few NSW stores in May 2022.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Woolworths should have left the trading hours for their fresh deli alone? Or do you think the company made the right decision? We’d love if you shared your insights with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Safely packing up and cleaning the meat and deli departments can take upwards of an hour so I can fully understand their closing earlier. It doesn't mean that their produce is not available to buy. Maybe folk should stop with the me, me and start thinking of others, the woolies staff have a life too.:)

Safely packing up and cleaning the meat and deli departments can take upwards of an hour so I can fully understand their closing earlier. It doesn't mean that their produce is not available to buy. Maybe folk should stop with the me, me and start thinking of others, the woolies staff have a life too.:)
And shopping after work is common, but these people do not work 7 days a week. Perhaps they could shop on their days off. It always amazes me that a small number of people get upset by not being able to shop whenever it suits them, not the store. Has convenience caused disorganisation?

If Woolworths reduced prices across the board commensurate with the labour cost savings they're obviously going to make (which is the obvious but unstated reason for the change), then I'd support it.

I suspect, however, that "selected stores" and "align with other stores" are gaslighting references to IGA competitors within a mile of Woolworths, as in my town.

oh bring back shops closing at 5pm
1pm on Saturday no Sunday you just had to make sure you had everything maybe that is why things have gone up they are opening longer hrs staff have to be paid for those extended hrs
I'm with you on that, nobody went without or starved because the shops shut at mid-day Saturday and weren't open at all on a Sunday. Late night shopping was either a Thursday or a Friday depending where you lived. Everybody managed to buy all their groceries and what not, full time shop workers worked Monday to Friday and students worked the late night and Saturday morning, easy.:)

1pm on Saturday no Sunday you just had to make sure you had everything maybe that is why things have gone up they are opening longer hrs staff have to be paid for those extended hrs
And banks used to close at 3pm, and there were no cards, ATMs or internet, if you wanted to make any bank transaction you had to physically go in to the bank!

I agree. I used to work at woollies when they brought in weekend work. This was woollies idea though. We were told we wouldn't have to work weekends if we didn't want to. They would just employ other people for weekends. Yeah right!! This was also the end of a lot of corner stores. 😔

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
For our members who regularly shop at Woolworths, the retailer has recently announced some major changes to the business hours and operations of the deli, seafood, and meat departments in all of its stores across the country.

A Woolworths spokesperson has confirmed that opening and closing hours will be changed to ensure greater operation consistency across the country, meaning some stores will now open or close one hour later or one hour earlier than usual.

Customers are encouraged to visit this page to learn more about how the change has affected the operating hours of their local Woolworths store.

Meanwhile, the operating hours of Woolworths' fresh service counters have also been shortened — regardless of an individual store's operating hours, the supermarket's deli, meat, and seafood section will close at either 7 or 8 pm starting August 1.

Xhv-kZH1ToMpf3Flm1dUWt6LXD93W1HigDKk1Lx-BceAOqsub1g3D6pxkHT2GdbOxxLZdKA2Q8TlKzqNomszMs8C-TU-aoawV17a4-I4jD13V0saGNQa6kY-t-MYTXSU1NY4EtlHhy-h9GiRnh-1uQ

Woolworths implemented major changes to the operation schedule to stay consistent with the trading hours in all of its stores in the country. Credit: Getty Images.

The spokesperson also added that these changes were made after 'careful consideration'.

'We’ve made a change to the trading hours of our fresh service counters nationwide, due to a shift in customer shopping behaviour. This includes our meat, seafood and deli counters,' the representative explained.

'Customers can still purchase similar products, such as chicken breast fillets and salmon, within our packed Fresh Convenience range located in-store.'

'We’ve also moved to standardise our overall operating hours so we can offer a consistent customer experience across our store network.'

'Select stores across the country will open one hour later or close one hour earlier to align with other stores and better match customer shopping patterns.'

'We’ll closely monitor customer and team member feedback over the next few months.'

Social media users have already expressed varying opinions on the change in Woolworths' deli, meat, and seafood trade hours.

One Woolies customer disagreed with the retailer's decision, arguing that all of the store's services need to be accessible during regular business hours.

The shopper wrote: 'If Woolworths proceeds to limit services within their stores from 7 pm onwards, we will no longer be using their services.'

'Shoppers need to remember that Woolworths openly asked and endorsed extended grocery store trading hours for 9 pm.'

'As someone who works irregular hours, I typically do my shopping after 8 pm - and now I can no longer get access to the service deli.'

b3syWBhScw24TGpFTHg-WJ1JkYuCbuuda9RoxAhMRiVyoVSDIH9exFd4ZEnc2_FEGmK9-obHiB87OgEtwerg-DNY5AXFv3tV7iefOOVzE6k_w5KSiyd9biZKoBVsP0tovdR-NhEVoxhkMAh3w9xMpQ

The supermarket's deli, meat, and seafood section will close at either 7 or 8 pm starting 1st August regardless of trade hours of individual stores. Credit: Getty Images.

However, other customers agree it was a wise decision for Woolworths staff, with one person writing: 'It makes absolutely no sense to keep the deli open until the store closes given how long it takes to clean.'

Another explained: 'They have made this decision because the sales in the last hour just aren’t there. They are running a business, not a public service.'

It is understood that Woolworths trialled the new initiative before approving the change. According to reports, the new schedule was tested at a few NSW stores in May 2022.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Woolworths should have left the trading hours for their fresh deli alone? Or do you think the company made the right decision? We’d love if you shared your insights with us in the comments below.
I remember certain shops in Albury being open 24 hours a day. I was commuting back then and often did a shop at midnight or thereabouts. Very handy, though there was really only me, one or two other shoppers, a checkout chic/guy and a security guard...as well as a few shelf fillers. Convenient for me but not very cost effective for the store. I guess the days of late shopping are now over.

Reactions: paulamc52 and Ricci
There is 24 hour trading in Waratah a suburb of Newcastle NSW and when I visit down there my friend and I always visit in what you would call the out-of-hours. It is quiet and relaxing, surprisingly there are quite a few people around, but best of all, there are no children running in and out and screaming.

And banks used to close at 3pm, and there were no cards, ATMs or internet, if you wanted to make any bank transaction you had to physically go in to the bank!
But my parents, who worked full time on minimum wages, had to take time off work to go to the bank, it was quite a hardship. Luckily my grandmother lived with us so she was able to buy groceries etc. during the day. My parents left early for work and got home late. They had to use public transport. Mum's boss was very considerate and closed the factory just after 3pm on Fridays so that employees could do some shopping before going home, but not all employers were like him.

This is purely a cost-saving move by Woolies, and as attested, Woolies is NOT concerned about public service or public convenience. I, too, have days when I can only shop late. IT IS ALL ABOUT MAKING MORE MONEY, WOOLIES!!!!!

I believe that the stores already are short staffed I've been there many times at different hours and the lines at the register are very long they should always have people moving not waiting around for someone to serve them after being asked a couple of times and then they reply there isn't enough staff

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci