Woolworths and Coles both announce COVID vaccine mandate for workers

Woolworths and Coles supermarkets announced yesterday that the COVID-19 jab is now going to be mandatory for all of their Australian workers.

In a series of press releases, the two retail giants announced that staff must follow the new vaccination rules.

Woolworths announced its intention to introduce the new requirement for Australian team members to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in the coming months, unless they have a valid exemption. It’s believed this mandate will affect 170,000 workers. Woolworths says the mandate will apply to the entire company and cover Australian team members working in stores, distribution and online fulfilment centres, and support offices.

According to the press release, the proposed timeline by Woolworths for the full vaccination requirement in ACT, NSW, NT, Victoria and WA is January 31, 2022 and March 31, 2022 in the other states.

e0bdfa852a605dd4adf326209558df474724c7b2-16x9-x0y0w1304h734.png
Woolworths and Coles are two of the largest Australian companies to make the COVID-19 Jab compulsory for all of their workers. Credit: AAP.

Coles on the other hand, says it will require team members to be vaccinated as a condition of working at any of its stores, distribution centres and other sites in NSW, the ACT and Victoria, unless employees have a valid exemption. Coles went on to say that government health orders also require Coles team members in the Northern Territory and Coles supermarket team members in WA to be vaccinated in order to work.

Coles says its workers in Victoria will need to be fully vaccinated by November 26, NSW and ACT by December 17, the Northern Territory by December 25 and WA by January 31, giving its team much less time to get vaccinated compared to what Woolworths announced. Coles says it will continue to work with health authorities and team members and strongly encourages the uptake of vaccination in Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania, where vaccination is not currently required as a condition of work.

Woolworths Group CEO Brad Banducci says the new mandate will keep its workforce safer, not only for their employees but for their customers as well. Coles' Group CEO Steven Cain said providing a safe environment for team members and customers is the supermarket’s top priority.

fe2b6312662211da06e3fe739b054f74aeb33888-16x9-x0y0w1280h720.jpg
Coles and Woolworths have released deadlines for when staff members must be vaccinated. Credit: AAP.

Although both Woolworths and Coles have provided vaccine deadlines for their staff members there wasn't any talk of terminating staff contracts if the staff member is unvaccinated. However, the press releases from both companies do imply that without the vaccine, staff will no longer be able to work at the companies, unless they have a valid exemption.

Sponsored
I think this is a necessary move. One of the greatest fears I've had during the pandemic is shopping. I'll feel a lot safer now.

Reactions: Liz
It had to come I suppose.... expect more riots from the covidiots. (n):censored:

I believe that if I must be vaccinated (quite willing and have done so) then staff in all stores must also be vaccinated. Protects both ways. Unfortunately this will cause angst and more among those against vaccination.

@Vinylted and @Dot you are both correct, unfortunately. It's only when you lose someone you love to COVID that you realise its seriousness. It's sad but I thought that everyone must have lost someone they know by now

... and the fake pandemic is taking on. We should never allow for our freedom to be taken away. So it looks like my shopping will not be done in these two shops.

• Wow
Reactions: Dot
Danusia I'm sorry but for me I cannot welcome someone who would advocate risking the lives of other people. Did you not read the previous post ? My grandson is an ambulance officer and has seen first hand the dreadful effect of this virus. I only hope you never have to learn common sense the hard way. shame on you!

Received an email from Coles I presumed sent to all Flybuy members, outlining all this information. I think that this going to become a way of life for all of us. My youngest is facing having to get the vaccine to keep his job or face a fine by the WA government ruling. I am fully covered as I believed my health problems would be worse with it.

Danusia I'm sorry but for me I cannot welcome someone who would advocate risking the lives of other people. Did you not read the previous post ? My grandson is an ambulance officer and has seen first hand the dreadful effect of this virus. I only hope you never have to learn common sense the hard way. shame on you!
@Vinylted and @Dot you are both correct, unfortunately. It's only when you lose someone you love to COVID that you realise its seriousness. It's sad but I thought that everyone must have lost someone they know by now
I am lucky I do not know any that have died this way.

Received an email from Coles I presumed sent to all Flybuy members, outlining all this information. I think that this going to become a way of life for all of us. My youngest is facing having to get the vaccine to keep his job or face a fine by the WA government ruling. I am fully covered as I believed my health problems would be worse with it.
Youngoldlady, Did your doctor tell you you health problems would be worse with the vaccine than without it? If so I commiserate with you having to run extra risk of catching it, if not, then please seek proper medical advice. ;)

I am lucky I do not know any that have died this way.
Perhaps this is why you have the views you do. I recently lost an uncle I love dearly to COVID. He still had a lot of life left to live. Some other family members of mine who had the virus and survived it are suffering the long-term consequences. My aunt lost 70% of her hearing and her hair is falling out in chunks. My cousin who is only 30 can't walk up a flight of stairs without struggling to breathe. I wouldn't want to lose someone I love this way and I'm sure the people who love you would echo this sentiment.