Woolworths’ banana guide sparks a heated debate among users and leaves shoppers extremely puzzled – “Wait, what?”

If you’ve been on the internet long enough, then you’re probably accustomed to the weird food combinations that pop up every now and then.

Previously, even Larry Edmur shared his own debatable take on hot cross buns but this new one that we stumbled on may just win the most controversial food award of the year – and it all started with a seemingly innocent sign in a Woolworths store.

The sign, which is a guide on how to prepare bananas according to their ripeness, suggested that customers should cook browning bananas on a BBQ, sending hundreds into a heated debate (and leaving the rest completely baffled).

Woolies said that yellow bananas are great to eat or add to smoothies, while brown ones are ideal for baking or making banana bread. But it was the supermarket’s advice for browning bananas – ‘perfect to cook on the BBQ’ that left many scratching their heads.

KaS61MhDP0ibOHZv7fVwmZS-t6srJaZyXL29mGjiqJtqm1ZkALLQS5bII0gu3EcKEfWHHtAD4DVO3LxM7aLiA8spBWPabsderBceM0pysSLWO5Qtsz1JywlVvkdcejTRhvaSfLlZybxQywUUiA
qYc8TbetH680ylYlIzHFxWCQA-Uh2Puow5q0_tfvDCdj4AFHqTDs0nMX1hFtlnQmn9mgPNz4lu1bGD72Bxng-ZtXuamxBOfrjZC37QLY_yeegdZMWt_kXNa_FK9MyhPza0qU9WNcPcXFnQI-ow

Bananas on the BBQ?! Image Credit: news.com.au, Simply Delicious

“Wait, what?” asked the shopper who took the photo and posted it on Reddit.

Several users found this bewildering and weren’t shy about expressing their disapproval in the comments section.

“Warm bananas?! YUCK!” wrote one person.

“Could this be the new vegan sausage sizzle?” another teased.

“This was my exact reaction when I saw this sign – has to be a war crime. Not against cooking bananas but I don’t know... on the barbie just sounds weird to me,” said a third.

And a fourth furiously exclaimed: “I will absolutely (throw) any banana flopped onto my BBQ over the back fence and into the scrub! You can go fight the bush turkey for it.”

But the hundreds of users leapt to Woolworth’s defence, backing up the supermarket giant’s claims and sharing how delicious bananas cooked on the grill truly are.

Post Credit: @deepestdescent (Reddit)

“My missus puts some batter on them (or something) and makes banana fritters. They're sooooo good!” a user shared.

Another recommended: “Grilled bananas with cinnamon, honey, and vanilla ice cream. Give it a go. With or without crepes, too.”

“Cut a slit down the skin, shove some mini marshmallows in one side and the other a couple of choccy chips. Wrap securely in tinfoil. Can either be cooked on a BBQ or even in fire coals. Seriously tasty.” suggested a third.

“You’re all making me hungry. I’m sorry for doubting you Woolies. I’m going to give some of these recipes a try.” added one more.

Have you ever cooked bananas on a BBQ or does the idea sound repulsive? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Want to give this cooking tip a shot but unsure where to start? Watch the video below:

Video Credit: Foodtempel

Sponsored
Okay I am 65 and at 13 I can remember lighting a campfire (as a girl guide) and splitting a banana in its skin and stuffing it with chocolate and wrapping it in foil and cooking it on the coals and I did not like it then and I still don't like warm or cooked bananas or even fresh ones that much there is other fruit I would other eat thank you.

Reactions: Ricci
When I first came to Australia in 1980 from England I went to a BBQ and they had bananas on the BBQ and I was a mystified. I still haven't tried them though 🙃

I can remember as a girl guide 50 years ago slitting them (leave in the skin) and stuffing with chocolate, wrapping in alfoil and putting them in the fire coals - didn't like them then and don't like them now just hate warmed banana.