Woolies shoppers left shocked after discovering the one mistake they've been making at checkout

When it comes to grocery shopping, we all know that it can be a bit of a hassle sometimes; but thanks to online shopping and delivery services, it's become a lot easier to get our weekly groceries.

But, for those of us who still like to go to the store to do our shopping, there's something you need to know.

Woolworths just dropped a strange bombshell about one of their checkout processes, and it's got shoppers buzzing. In a TikTok video, the store account revealed a secret about where you should put your basket once you've scanned all your items at checkout.

If you're a regular shopper at Woolworths, you might be surprised to learn this. But don't worry, we've got you covered. Keep reading to find out what this little-known fact is and how it can make your shopping experience even better.

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 1.14.32 PM.png
According to Woolies, customers should leave their baskets on the floor underneath the shelf or in the basket holder situated in the checkout area. Credit: TikTok/woolworths_au.

So, you know how when you're finished scanning your items at the self-serve checkout, you usually just leave your basket on the shelf next to the register so a store employee can come to collect it? Well, turns out that's not actually the right thing to do.

Woolworths recently revealed that shoppers should be putting their baskets on the floor underneath the shelf or in the basket holder located in the checkout area. Who knew?!

Of course, not everyone was thrilled about this new revelation. Some shoppers felt that it was an unnecessary extra step, with one person saying, 'I usually just leave it there - bad enough I have to check myself out, I'm not going to be a basket boy too.'

However, store employees are urging customers to show a bit of consideration and put their baskets back in the designated holders instead of leaving them on the floor. As one former employee put it, 'As someone who used to work at Woolworths, please just put in that little bit of effort and put it in the basket holder.'

Others pointed out that leaving the baskets on the floor could make it harder for people who use small trolleys to navigate the store. So, while it might seem like a small inconvenience, putting your basket back in the holder can make a big difference.

Well, consider us… Confused?

If you're planning on doing your grocery shopping at Woolworths, be sure to remember to put your basket back in the designated holder or on the floor after you're done scanning your items at the register.

It might seem like a small thing, but it can actually make a big difference. Not only can it make your own shopping experience easier, but it can also make things smoother for other customers and store employees. Happy shopping, members!

What do you think? Are you willing to take the extra step, or do you prefer to leave it on the shelf? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I've always left the basket on the floor under the register or on the floor if you can't access under the register.

So last week we were putting the dividing thing wrong on the grocery belt then this week it's the basket for some 🤔

I shopped in store last week at looked at where people were placing the dividef thing and no one placed it long ways.
I asked the checkout girl if she has ever seen customers placing it long ways ....She looked at me like I was stupid and replied NO

We can't believe anything on TikTok

WOW! Who'da thunk that shoppers could be so inconsiderate as to place their baskets somewhere else than where they're intended to go? Who could possibly think that a large trolley will not fit into the back of a smaller trolley (or vice versa) to stack them together-- that's if they even take the time to trundle back to the storage area and return them? Who could even imagine that trolleys are supposed to go into that area lined up neatly, not just tossed back in any old way? These people are charter members of the YouJack Society and their numbers are growing by the year.

Well hey, I work in Woolies (grocery dept...done my time in hell on checkouts/self-serve) and when I finished my shop yesterday after work I left my basket on the ledge and will continue to do so! Most times there is a garbage bin underneath anyway!

When it comes to grocery shopping, we all know that it can be a bit of a hassle sometimes; but thanks to online shopping and delivery services, it's become a lot easier to get our weekly groceries.

But, for those of us who still like to go to the store to do our shopping, there's something you need to know.

Woolworths just dropped a strange bombshell about one of their checkout processes, and it's got shoppers buzzing. In a TikTok video, the store account revealed a secret about where you should put your basket once you've scanned all your items at checkout.

If you're a regular shopper at Woolworths, you might be surprised to learn this. But don't worry, we've got you covered. Keep reading to find out what this little-known fact is and how it can make your shopping experience even better.

View attachment 15569
According to Woolies, customers should leave their baskets on the floor underneath the shelf or in the basket holder situated in the checkout area. Credit: TikTok/woolworths_au.

So, you know how when you're finished scanning your items at the self-serve checkout, you usually just leave your basket on the shelf next to the register so a store employee can come to collect it? Well, turns out that's not actually the right thing to do.

Woolworths recently revealed that shoppers should be putting their baskets on the floor underneath the shelf or in the basket holder located in the checkout area. Who knew?!

Of course, not everyone was thrilled about this new revelation. Some shoppers felt that it was an unnecessary extra step, with one person saying, 'I usually just leave it there - bad enough I have to check myself out, I'm not going to be a basket boy too.'

However, store employees are urging customers to show a bit of consideration and put their baskets back in the designated holders instead of leaving them on the floor. As one former employee put it, 'As someone who used to work at Woolworths, please just put in that little bit of effort and put it in the basket holder.'

Others pointed out that leaving the baskets on the floor could make it harder for people who use small trolleys to navigate the store. So, while it might seem like a small inconvenience, putting your basket back in the holder can make a big difference.

If you're planning on doing your grocery shopping at Woolworths, be sure to remember to put your basket back in the designated holder or on the floor after you're done scanning your items at the register.

It might seem like a small thing, but it can actually make a big difference. Not only can it make your own shopping experience easier, but it can also make things smoother for other customers and store employees. Happy shopping, members!

What do you think? Are you willing to take the extra step, or do you prefer to leave it on the shelf? Let us know in the comments below.

By using the self checkout you are already doing their work for no pay.

This is a non issue, just don't do self serve. Use the checkout where the operator is being paid, don't tak
This is a non issue, just don't do self serve. Use the checkout where the operator is being paid, don't take away someone's job.
yep, I would use the staffed checkout every time if only there were enough open that I didn’t have to line up behind multiple other customers. My shopping time is always limited to in and out as quickly as possible. I never use a basket, always a small trolley if a small shop and take it with me to the car, then return to a trolley bay.

View attachment 15569

Would they like me to stack a couple of shelves too while I'm at it, I seem to be doing the rest of Woolies work for them. :rolleyes:
Is it so hard to do? No one is asking you to do more than walk a couple of steps. If you leave it on the floor and not under the scanning unit you could be the one that causes another person to trip over it and perhaps get hurt or worse. If that was reversed to have you fall you’d be suing the company, wouldn’t you? Get a life!

Would they like me to stack a couple of shelves too while I'm at it, I seem to be doing the rest of Woolies work for them. :rolleyes:
If that’s your attitude I would hate to see how you’d stack shelves - things all mixed up and hard to find, I bet!! Please, please don’t apply for a job stacking shelves at my local Woolworths store!

Last edited:
Reactions: ElizabethL

View attachment 15569

Well,suppose it gives the staff standing around making sure we’re doing their job right something to do

When using the fast, express, speedy, individual all by-myself checkouts I leave my basket on the shelf so that it is easier to reach for the very polite staff at Woolies to whisk it away before you have removed your grocery packages (they are so quick). I gave up trying to put my basket in the designated basket holder as it is usually sneaked away into a corner somewhere out of sight which means that one has to navigate through the incoming loaded customers who just want to get to your checkout and give you a black look on your way back to pick up your parcels. A slightly silly system so I rely on the wonderful Woolies staff to look after me. Also, it is quite difficult when you also have to use a walking stick as I do.

View attachment 15569

As for the person who says they have to do their OWN checkout should wake up, NO ONE is forcing you to use the self check out system, you do that on your own as you would rather take away someones job and then complain..... If you dont want to put the basket in the designated areas GO THRU THE STAFFED CHECKOUT

View attachment 15569

I have always assumed the basket went under. Then woies and Coles started placing little garbage bins under some shelves. No wonder people left the baskets on the shelf.

Reactions: Helenmac and Ricci

View attachment 15569

I have no problem putting baskets where they should go. I do have one small issue with the concept.
Rarely do I go through self serve checkouts. It's too awkward with a mobility aid at my feet.
On the rare occasions I use a Woolies basket, I have found that there is no designated space to put them at a serviced checkout. It's a case of do your best and see what happens.
I get why staff are put out by the situation where there are baskets lying around everywhere. Hey Woolies, think about people like me and check your layout designs.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci

View attachment 15569

No way with their ever increasing prices one more step is a step too far

Reactions: Ricci
This is a non issue, just don't do self serve. Use the checkout where the operator is being paid, don't take away someone's job.
Exactly, I always use a checkout with a real person, I don't work for the store so why should I do the self checkout, people are so easily led to use self-checkout, and it cost's jobs. Stop it.

I don't work for any supermarket so definitely not going to do my own check-out. If I do this I am depriving someone of a job & unemployment is high enough as it is. From my observation it is no quicker to do your own check-out than go through a serviced check-out. Plus, when I go shopping I use a large trolley, not a basket so that becomes a further problem with those areas. And the time it takes me to pack my bags while doing my own check-out keeps others waiting for longer periods. The girls/guys at the check-out have the hooks ready to hang your bag so they pack it quickly.