Woolies shopper's $235 saving draws mixed reactions on social media: 'Not really free, is it?'

When it comes to money-saving tips, we reckon you can never have too many up your sleeve! That's why here at SDC, we always like to keep our members in the loop when it comes to discounts and coupons.

Why pay full price when you don't have to? We're determined to stretch their dollars as far as they can go, especially when it comes to groceries.

Recently, a particular money-saving hack was brought to light when a Woolworths shopper took to TikTok to showcase the $235 he saved by using his Everyday Rewards points at the checkout.

Feeling proud of his bargain-hunting skills, the shopper shared a video of him scanning his Everyday Rewards card on his 31 items - worth $349.05 - to show how the amount due was reduced to $114.70.

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 12.12.03 PM.png
After using his Everyday Rewards points, a Woolworths customer managed to save around $235 in groceries. Credit: TikTok/justinimpey5.

Thanks to this program, which is free to join, members are given the opportunity to earn rewards points, which can add up to big savings in the long run.

The savvy shopper even added the hashtags #freebies, #cheap and #savings to his post, showing just how thrilled he was with the discounts he got.

Unfortunately, while many were undoubtedly impressed with the savings, some were less than thrilled, arguing that the supermarket was essentially creating an air of false economy when it came to the deals.

This is because it turned out that the majority of the savings actually occurred from taking advantage of the supermarket's free plate and glassware promotion, which was launched last year.

According to Woolworths, members of the Everyday Rewards program are welcome to freely redeem one credit for every $20 spent both in-store and online, which can be used to order the tableware.

When this particular customer scanned his card at the checkout and redeemed a huge stash of credits, his ‘savings’ were massive.

Even though it seemed like most of the items were being given away, commenters remarked that it was incorrect to call them 'freebies' as the shopper still had to spend a lot of money to accumulate enough points to get all of the 'free' tableware.

'You bought their average quality kitchenware and used points you've gained by spending thousands with them - so it's not really free, is it?' said one user.

Fans of the rewards program swiftly came to its defence, arguing that the tableware was indeed free, given that the shopper already had to buy something anyway.

'You have to buy groceries somewhere, may as well get something in return,' said one user.

Another agreed and added, 'No one's saying to spend extra money to get points? If you shop at Woolies, you're going to be spending the money anyway. It's just a bonus, babes.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer went on TikTok to show off the $235 he saved by using his Everyday Rewards points at the checkout.
  • While many were undoubtedly impressed with his supermarket savings, some were less than thrilled, arguing that the shopper still had to spend a lot of money for the 'freebies' he got.
  • Defenders of the rewards program argued that shoppers are going to spend money regardless, so they might as well get something in return for it.
It's a mixed bag, isn't it? Our advice? If you shop at Woolworths and already have an Everyday Rewards membership, why not get something in return? But just remember, don't ever feel the need to spend extra money to accumulate points, as this is almost always a false economy!

Have you ever taken advantage of the Everyday Rewards program (or any rewards program)? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I would hardly call Villeroy and Boch crockery and glassware "average quality kitchenware" LOL. I earned enough points to get two lots of glassware that would have cost me $70 otherwise and I was very happy with that.
I was thinking the same thing! I've been collecting the plates and bowls for my daughter who has recently moved into her first home.

When it comes to money-saving tips, we reckon you can never have too many up your sleeve! That's why here at SDC, we always like to keep our members in the loop when it comes to discounts and coupons.

Why pay full price when you don't have to? We're determined to stretch their dollars as far as they can go, especially when it comes to groceries.

Recently, a particular money-saving hack was brought to light when a Woolworths shopper took to TikTok to showcase the $235 he saved by using his Everyday Rewards points at the checkout.

Feeling proud of his bargain-hunting skills, the shopper shared a video of him scanning his Everyday Rewards card on his 31 items - worth $349.05 - to show how the amount due was reduced to $114.70.

View attachment 11589
After using his Everyday Rewards points, a Woolworths customer managed to save around $235 in groceries. Credit: TikTok/justinimpey5.

Thanks to this program, which is free to join, members are given the opportunity to earn rewards points, which can add up to big savings in the long run.

The savvy shopper even added the hashtags #freebies, #cheap and #savings to his post, showing just how thrilled he was with the discounts he got.

Unfortunately, while many were undoubtedly impressed with the savings, some were less than thrilled, arguing that the supermarket was essentially creating an air of false economy when it came to the deals.

This is because it turned out that the majority of the savings actually occurred from taking advantage of the supermarket's free plate and glassware promotion, which was launched last year.

According to Woolworths, members of the Everyday Rewards program are welcome to freely redeem one credit for every $20 spent both in-store and online, which can be used to order the tableware.

When this particular customer scanned his card at the checkout and redeemed a huge stash of credits, his ‘savings’ were massive.

Even though it seemed like most of the items were being given away, commenters remarked that it was incorrect to call them 'freebies' as the shopper still had to spend a lot of money to accumulate enough points to get all of the 'free' tableware.

'You bought their average quality kitchenware and used points you've gained by spending thousands with them - so it's not really free, is it?' said one user.

Fans of the rewards program swiftly came to its defence, arguing that the tableware was indeed free, given that the shopper already had to buy something anyway.

'You have to buy groceries somewhere, may as well get something in return,' said one user.

Another agreed and added, 'No one's saying to spend extra money to get points? If you shop at Woolies, you're going to be spending the money anyway. It's just a bonus, babes.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer went on TikTok to show off the $235 he saved by using his Everyday Rewards points at the checkout.
  • While many were undoubtedly impressed with his supermarket savings, some were less than thrilled, arguing that the shopper still had to spend a lot of money for the 'freebies' he got.
  • Defenders of the rewards program argued that shoppers are going to spend money regardless, so they might as well get something in return for it.
It's a mixed bag, isn't it? Our advice? If you shop at Woolworths and already have an Everyday Rewards membership, why not get something in return? But just remember, don't ever feel the need to spend extra money to accumulate points, as this is almost always a false economy!

Have you ever taken advantage of the Everyday Rewards program (or any rewards program)? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below.

I am a Woolworths shopper, but also use Coles for their specials and sometimes shop at Aldi's and NQR too. My husband and I are empty nesters now but we still managed to rack up $130 in Christmas savings on Woolworths Rewards program, enabling me to get my 2kg turkey breast roll, a good sized ham and other Christmas goodies for "free" again this year! I do not buy stuff for extra points or even redeem other stuff I could have, but I do like saving my Reward dollars for Christmas.

Last time I looked there was no-one standing behind you with a gun to your head dictating what you can and cannot buy. You do you, personally I haven't taken advantage of the offer as I really don't need any more in my life but I understand others will have that need and good on 'em. :)

I am a Woolworths shopper, but also use Coles for their specials and sometimes shop at Aldi's and NQR too. My husband and I are empty nesters now but we still managed to rack up $130 in Christmas savings on Woolworths Rewards program, enabling me to get my 2kg turkey breast roll, a good sized ham and other Christmas goodies for "free" again this year! I do not buy stuff for extra points or even redeem other stuff I could have, but I do like saving my Reward dollars for Christmas.
I agree ...... I racked up $280.00 worth of Rewards dollars and no, I only purchase grocery items that I need - not because they are on special BUT if these items that I need are on special - a win win situation for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBear and Ricci
Very good quality I also got a few items

Key Takeaways

A Woolworths customer went on TikTok to show off the $235 he saved by using his Everyday Rewards points at the checkout.
While many were undoubtedly impressed with his supermarket savings, some were less than thrilled, arguing that the shopper still had to spend a lot of money for the 'freebies' he got.
Defenders of the rewards program argued that shoppers are going to spend money regardless, so they might as well get something in return for it.

We are enjoying our free glassware. It is free because it is over and above other offers and only for a limited time.

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
Yes that is me as well Coles and Woolworths banked my points and my Christmas shopping from both stores free and thats the saving I like I have collected the tall glasses from both stores because they are really nice but I just get the points from my normal shopping don't go out of my way to spend extra it builds up anyway, with the price of groceries we are collecting points a lot faster now days.

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci