Woolies shopper highlights a 'big problem' with checkout cameras

Recently, a Woolworths customer has highlighted an issue with the AI cameras being used at Australia’s East Coast stores, and it’s a ‘big problem’ for shoppers.

A shopper named Pnuks took to social media on Friday to share details of his experience at Woolworths, where he noticed something concerning about the cameras above the checkouts.

At each checkout, customers must enter their PIN code or tap their phone when using PayPass, but as Pnuks quickly realised, the camera is positioned directly above this personal information.

'Yes, they can see every content on your phone, that’s a big problem,' he said before showing an example of how much area the camera captures of the checkout.

photo (16).jpg
Pnuks pointed out that the self-checkout cameras can see the contents of someone’s phone. Credit: @pnuks/TikTok

He believes it is enough to pick up someone’s card details.

The video garnered the interest of Woolies shoppers, with one person commenting: ‘I never thought of that. The thing saw me fumble in my bag for my phone and thought I was stealing.’

‘Same for putting in your card pin. Shouldn't be able to record that part,’ a second person said.

‘It’s an invasion of privacy; they’ve already got cameras all through the shops, and now they can see our pins,’ another shopper pointed out.

Unfortunately, this isn’t customers' only issue regarding the retailer using AI technology. Customers have complained that the cameras are being used in 'bad faith', while shoppers feel they are under constant surveillance.

The cameras were introduced to 250 stores last year to prevent shoppers from scanning the wrong or pricey items as cheaper products and to make shopping ‘more convenient and seamless’.

‘While most customers do the right thing at our self-serve check-outs, we’re all busy, and mistakes can easily happen,’ the Woolworths’s spokesperson said.

Woolworths has promised that any faces and pin pads have been blurred out and that the footage is used for training purposes.

On top of that, customers became frustrated when they learnt the trolleys had to be emptied entirely for payment to be processed.

If the trolley hadn’t been emptied fully before checking out, the screen would flash the message: 'Have you left any items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.'

We shared an article about this rollout at Woolies early this year, and our members have different opinions about these cameras.

Member @jkara5 wrote: ‘I don’t have a problem with it. If it stops people stealing and, hence, pushing prices up, it’s a good thing. Usually, you don’t have to wait more than 30 seconds for help, or you the other checkouts that are manned.’

‘I don’t have a problem with it–we are all on CCTV many times a day, and if it reduces theft in Woolies, that’s a good thing. If you are honest at the self-serve checkouts, you won’t have a problem. Also, my Woolies has a big notice at the entrance advising customers of the new technology, so if you don’t like the rules at self-serve checkouts, use the other checkouts,’ Member @rathompson pointed out.

Member @Simplelife shared their frustration: ‘Yet another invasion of privacy in Australia. It’s a sad world where businesses treat all customers like possible criminals. It's so weird that you can’t take a photo of your child or grandchild at their swimming lesson due to the “privacy” of the other children who may get in the shot, but we can’t even go Grocery shopping without having our presence caught on camera and recorded for god knows who to see.’

Member @Ricci said: ‘What improvements could be made in regard to self-checkouts? Easy, take them out and put some actual humans in.’

You can watch Pnuk’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • Concerns about the surveillance cameras at Woolworths self-service checkouts have been raised.
  • A shopper named Pnuks raised the concern that the positioning of the cameras could lead to the capturing of personal information, such as card details.
  • This is not the first time Woolworths has been criticised for using AI technology, with some customers feeling they're under constant surveillance.
  • Woolworths insists that the overhead cameras prevent people from scanning the wrong items and make shopping more convenient; the retailer also said faces and pin pads are blurred out in the captured footage.

Members, although the AI cameras are intended to make the checkout process easier, it’s concerning to know your personal information and card details could be at risk. We hope that, if you’ve experienced any issues, you’ll be able to make your concerns or complaints heard.

Do you prefer the self-checkout counters at Woolies? What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Recently, a Woolworths customer has highlighted an issue with the AI cameras being used at Australia’s East Coast stores, and it’s a ‘big problem’ for shoppers.

A shopper named Pnuks took to social media on Friday to share details of his experience at Woolworths, where he noticed something concerning about the cameras above the checkouts.

At each checkout, customers must enter their PIN code or tap their phone when using PayPass, but as Pnuks quickly realised, the camera is positioned directly above this personal information.

'Yes, they can see every content on your phone, that’s a big problem,' he said before showing an example of how much area the camera captures of the checkout.

View attachment 28432
Pnuks pointed out that the self-checkout cameras can see the contents of someone’s phone. Credit: @pnuks/TikTok

The video garnered the interest of Woolies shoppers, with one person commenting: ‘I never thought of that. The thing saw me fumble in my bag for my phone and thought I was stealing.’

‘Same for putting in your card pin. Shouldn't be able to record that part,’ a second person said.

‘It’s an invasion of privacy; they’ve already got cameras all through the shops, and now they can see our pins,’ another shopper pointed out.

Unfortunately, this isn’t customers' only issue regarding the retailer using AI technology. Customers have complained that the cameras are being used in 'bad faith', while shoppers feel they are under constant surveillance.

The cameras were introduced to 250 stores last year to prevent shoppers from scanning the wrong or pricey items as cheaper products and to make shopping ‘more convenient and seamless’.

‘While most customers do the right thing at our self-serve check-outs, we’re all busy, and mistakes can easily happen,’ the Woolworths’s spokesperson said.

Woolworths has promised that any faces and pin pads have been blurred out and that the footage is used for training purposes.

On top of that, customers became frustrated when they learnt the trolleys had to be emptied entirely for payment to be processed.

If the trolley hadn’t been emptied fully before checking out, the screen would flash the message: 'Have you left any items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.'

We shared an article about this rollout at Woolies early this year, and our members have different opinions about these cameras.

Member @jkara5 wrote: ‘I don’t have a problem with it. If it stops people stealing and, hence, pushing prices up, it’s a good thing. Usually, you don’t have to wait more than 30 seconds for help, or you the other checkouts that are manned.’

‘I don’t have a problem with it–we are all on CCTV many times a day, and if it reduces theft in Woolies, that’s a good thing. If you are honest at the self-serve checkouts, you won’t have a problem. Also, my Woolies has a big notice at the entrance advising customers of the new technology, so if you don’t like the rules at self-serve checkouts, use the other checkouts,’ Member @rathompson pointed out.

Member @Simplelife shared their frustration: ‘Yet another invasion of privacy in Australia. It’s a sad world where businesses treat all customers like possible criminals. It's so weird that you can’t take a photo of your child or grandchild at their swimming lesson due to the “privacy” of the other children who may get in the shot, but we can’t even go Grocery shopping without having our presence caught on camera and recorded for god knows who to see.’

Member @Ricci said: ‘What improvements could be made in regard to self-checkouts? Easy, take them out and put some actual humans in.’

Key Takeaways

• Concerns about the surveillance cameras at Woolworths self-service checkouts have been raised.
  • A shopper named Pnuks raised the concern that the positioning of the cameras could lead to the capturing of personal information, such as card details.
  • This is not the first time Woolworths has been criticised for using AI technology, with some customers feeling they're under constant surveillance.
  • Woolworths insists that the overhead cameras prevent people from scanning the wrong items and make shopping more convenient; the retailer also said faces and pin pads are blurred out in the captured footage.

Members, although the AI cameras are intended to make the checkout process easier, it’s concerning to know your personal information and card details could be at risk. We hope that, if you’ve experienced any issues, you’ll be able to make your concerns or complaints heard.

Do you prefer the self-checkout counters at Woolies? What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

Absolutely load of rubbish! Obviously this person is only concerned about being caught out...seriously!

When will people stop whinging.As they say there are notices in the store advising of the situation, so if you still choose to use the self serve just cop it and shut up
Really, what makes these people think they are so important, interesting or whatever they think, that Woolies are spying on them They are just trying to stop theft, get over yourselves.

View attachment 28432

Key Takeaways

Note this don't use them!

View attachment 28432

Key Takeaways

I actually prefer to use the self service checkouts.... As far as the the camera above I think it's a great idea... Way too many people search for a cheaper fruit or vegetable when buying an expensive one..
My neighbour bragged that she does this all the time and to her it's great, saves her heaps. I said to her she's the reason why our groceries cost more as it's classed as stealing!!!! She just laughed and said, "well they should improve security cameras... Well because of people like her THEY HAVE!
I often put bags from other shops in my trolley, when I've finished my grocery shopping, the screen asks me if I've forgotten anything, the team member comes over, says it's picked up things left in trolley, she can see bags are from different shops, I usually open each bag so they can have a might peek then they clear the screen so I can continue... I never feel like a thief, but I am impressed that it prevents thieves!!!! Once I saw a woman put a kg cheese block in her Katie's bag, so if she feels like a thief, it's because she's been a thief before...As far as seeing my card pin, well we've been told over and over to cover our card when keying in our pin, even at manned checkouts theirs often cameras above! BUT! alot of people forget to cover so YES it can be improved just by blurring out the card scanner just like they blurr out our faces...
BUT GET IN THE HABIT TO ALWAYS COVER YOUR CARD where ever you shop this prevents anyone seeing it...
Anyone complaining about this self serve system at supermarkets treating us like thieves are a pack of whingers!!!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T USE THEM!!! SIMPLE!!!

I actually prefer to use the self service checkouts.... As far as the the camera above I think it's a great idea... Way too many people search for a cheaper fruit or vegetable when buying an expensive one..
My neighbour bragged that she does this all the time and to her it's great, saves her heaps. I said to her she's the reason why our groceries cost more as it's classed as stealing!!!! She just laughed and said, "well they should improve security cameras... Well because of people like her THEY HAVE!
I often put bags from other shops in my trolley, when I've finished my grocery shopping, the screen asks me if I've forgotten anything, the team member comes over, says it's picked up things left in trolley, she can see bags are from different shops, I usually open each bag so they can have a might peek then they clear the screen so I can continue... I never feel like a thief, but I am impressed that it prevents thieves!!!! Once I saw a woman put a kg cheese block in her Katie's bag, so if she feels like a thief, it's because she's been a thief before...As far as seeing my card pin, well we've been told over and over to cover our card when keying in our pin, even at manned checkouts theirs often cameras above! BUT! alot of people forget to cover so YES it can be improved just by blurring out the card scanner just like they blurr out our faces...
BUT GET IN THE HABIT TO ALWAYS COVER YOUR CARD where ever you shop this prevents anyone seeing it...
Anyone complaining about this self serve system at supermarkets treating us like thieves are a pack of whingers!!!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T USE THEM!!! SIMPLE!!!
I make a habit of doing any other shopping first and taking those bags
back to my car before doing my grocery shopping, saves a lot of hassles.

View attachment 28432

Key Takeaways

If Woollies wasn’t ripping people off then people wouldn’t have to steal. It’s ridiculous amount of profit they make. Wait till it’s only Coles & Woolworths. No one will be able to afford groceries.

Reactions: Gsr and Observer
I remember reading some members were having to wait as long as 5 minutes for assistance?????
My response was that I believe they over exaggerated.

Reactions: Macarj and freedy50
s
If Woollies wasn’t ripping people off then people wouldn’t have to steal. It’s ridiculous amount of profit they make. Wait till it’s only Coles & Woolworths. No one will be able to afford groceries.
People still steal regardless, always have, it's not like it's something new.
There's always been scum around.
There is no need to steal, go to a Foodbank.

View attachment 28432

Key Takeaways

I won't hold my breath waiting for prices to drop, now they save all this money with AI, instead of checkout operators or stealing. All those who have no problem with this invasion should realise, Woolies have chosen this path rather than employing people, no other reason. They also now are introducing Scan&Go, at least then you won't have to deal with anyone.

When you use self serve you eliminate someones job,i never use them and when the checkout girl says I can use self serve I remind her im trying to save your job.as for the cost to the customer...like the bags eliminate the free plastic and replace them with expensive paper bags and charge for them...saves the store over a million dollars per year and also makes them many more millions as they now Sell the bags for 10 times the cost..(paper bags are now a product for sale and they choose how many you buy) As for the ecology...check out the other plastic uses in the fruit and veggies and meat dept

When you use self serve you eliminate someones job,i never use them and when the checkout girl says I can use self serve I remind her im trying to save your job.as for the cost to the customer...like the bags eliminate the free plastic and replace them with expensive paper bags and charge for them...saves the store over a million dollars per year and also makes them many more millions as they now Sell the bags for 10 times the cost..(paper bags are now a product for sale and they choose how many you buy) As for the ecology...check out the other plastic uses in the fruit and veggies and meat dept
Why don't you buy the reusable bags, the paper ones are useless

Reactions: Macarj
Wow! Another social media hero wants his '15 minutes'of fame.🙄

I try to use self serve checkouts as much as possible as it's always quicker. However, I had a problem with something the other day and it took the checkout person 10 seconds to sort it out. I don't know why it took so long? 😂😂😂

The screens in my Woolies branch don't seem to have that message yet and I certainly wouldn't have a silly tantrum if it showed up. And regarding cameras allegedly seeing card details. I always use the Woolies app which has my Rewards card and debit card on it and before I start scanning I scan the QR code on the screen to get started. Nobody sees anything. The payment goes through at the end and the receipt goes straight on the phone. My debit card doesn't even leave my wallet.

If people still insist on being childish and stupid about all this then that's down to them.

View attachment 28432

Key Takeaways

More staff on counters and less spying on costumers treating us like thieves .
Woolworths= invasion of privacy

Reactions: barbaranne and Gsr