Woolies shopper allegedly accused of theft due to frustrating self-checkout error

Where’s the cashier?

That’s a question you may have asked yourself in the last few months as more supermarkets embrace self-checkouts. To their credit, these new shopping introductions do work generally well, but–as any tech enthusiast will tell you–you can't always rely on them to work as expected.

Take the story of one 68-year-old Woolworths customer from Vincentia, New South Wales, who experienced a particularly frustrating snag with the checkout machine.

Noni Lyall was bagging groceries at the self-service checkout when a red light started flashing, and artificial intelligence (AI) technology informed staff that she had not scanned a bottle of juice.

compressed-shutterstock_2319565869.jpeg
A Woolworths shopper was left frustrated after self-checkout falsely accused her of theft. Credit: wisely/Shutterstock

And as much of the technology relies on surveillance and facial recognition software, it made the shopper feel like she was stealing.

'To put it bluntly, I was p***ed off, I just couldn't believe it,' she expressed.

'I'm a 68-year-old lady, I don't steal.'

She hurriedly explained to the staff that she had scanned the item, but it didn't fit into the bags, so she just placed it back in her trolley.

Thankfully, the staff quickly realised the error, and the situation was quickly resolved. Still, the false accusation made the shopper understandably angry and embarrassed.

‘I just thought, wow, you want us to do all our own work now by scanning our own groceries, not having the staff to service, and yet you're going to start accusing us of not paying?' Ms Lyall said.

She also shared that the experience gave her the ‘irk’, and she is determined to no longer shop at her city’s only Woolworths.

The new self-serve checkouts were implemented in Western Sydney’s Seven Hills last year, with much scrutiny over the AI-run software.

Samantha Floreani of the Digital Rights Watch group claimed the technology could make customers feel 'like they are constantly being watched and recorded'.

'This kind of normalisation of surveillance makes space for the growing use of invasive technologies in everyday life to access everyday essential services,' she said.

It’s notable that supermarket giants implement technology like this partly to combat shoplifters.

A spokesperson stated, ‘While most customers do the right thing at our self-serve checkouts, we're all busy, and mistakes can easily happen.’

Unfortunately, our members have experienced a similar issue with Woolies’ self-serve checkouts.

Member @Suzanne rose wrote: ‘We had taken a trolley into Woolworths from Kmart, so it wasn't even grocery items in the trolley, but it picked up that we had a trolley with items in it.’

‘The annoying thing was the lady was helping 2 other people, and then a third went up to ask for something else. I told her this was not fair I had to wait when I was using self-serve to get in and out, and then it picked up Kmart items in my trolley then wouldn't let me proceed,’ she added.

Member @Earth child shared: ‘After scanning and packing all items, the sensor reported two unused homemade bags in my trolley at the point of payment. The screen prompt asked for all items to be rescanned! I was kept waiting while the assistant helped others with issues at their self-serve bays, and wanted to resolve the unnecessary issue. Fortunately, I didn’t have to rescan, but if I was requested to do so, I would have emptied the contents of the bags, left them and walked out. ALDI staff are friendly, Woolies staff (are) dour. No wonder when they have to deal with customer frustration.’

‘I always used the self-checkout, not any more. You can not have your personal handbag in the trolley, as it will tell you that you have something in the trolley and not let you proceed. Where else can you place your personal bag, as you need two hands to use the personal checkout? You are made to feel like a thief,’ member @Sharson stated.

On the other hand, there are members who had no issues with the AI technology.

Member @Observer said: ‘I don't have any issues with it. I scan my items until l hit a $30 spend putting them to the side, scan the rewards card for benefits, and then pay. I place the trolley behind me so the camera doesn't see anything but me. Then all is good. Bagged items go back into my trolley with the receipt. Then I start again. When using my card to make the payment, I hold it in the palm of my hand so that my card details will not be recorded.’

‘Another way of having a go at self-checkouts. I couldn't care less if they want to look in my bags and don't care how many cameras are filming me. If people didn't steal so much, nobody would have to worry about it,’ member @freedy50 claimed.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has voiced frustration over a self-serve checkout glitch that falsely accused her of theft.
  • Artificially intelligent (AI) cameras at the checkout flagged that the customer had not scanned a bottle of juice, causing a public misunderstanding.
  • The incident has contributed to an ongoing debate about the increased use of surveillance technologies in everyday life.

If you’re one of the customers who don’t like self-serve checkouts, we have an ongoing petition to stop its full transition in major retailers. You may sign the petition here.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your self-checkout experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Where’s the cashier?

That’s a question you may have asked yourself in the last few months as more supermarkets embrace self-checkouts. To their credit, these new shopping introductions do work generally well, but–as any tech enthusiast will tell you–you can't always rely on them to work as expected.

Take the story of one 68-year-old Woolworths customer from Vincentia, New South Wales, who experienced a particularly frustrating snag with the checkout machine.

Noni Lyall was bagging groceries at the self-service checkout when a red light started flashing, and artificial intelligence (AI) technology informed staff that she had not scanned a bottle of juice.

View attachment 29054
A Woolworths shopper was left frustrated after self-checkout falsely accused her of theft. Credit: wisely/Shutterstock

And as much of the technology relies on surveillance and facial recognition software, it made the shopper feel like she was stealing.

'To put it bluntly, I was p***ed off, I just couldn't believe it,' she expressed.

She hurriedly explained to the staff that she had scanned the item, but it didn't fit into the bags, so she just placed it back in her trolley.

Thankfully, the staff quickly realised the error, and the situation was quickly resolved. Still, the false accusation made the shopper understandably angry and embarrassed.

‘I just thought, wow, you want us to do all our own work now by scanning our own groceries, not having the staff to service, and yet you're going to start accusing us of not paying?' Ms Lyall said.

She also shared that the experience gave her the ‘irk’, and she is determined to no longer shop at her city’s only Woolworths.

The new self-serve checkouts were implemented in Western Sydney’s Seven Hills last year, with much scrutiny over the AI-run software.

Samantha Floreani of the Digital Rights Watch group claimed the technology could make customers feel 'like they are constantly being watched and recorded'.

'This kind of normalisation of surveillance makes space for the growing use of invasive technologies in everyday life to access everyday essential services,' she said.

It’s notable that supermarket giants implement technology like this partly to combat shoplifters.

A spokesperson stated, ‘While most customers do the right thing at our self-serve checkouts, we're all busy, and mistakes can easily happen.’

Unfortunately, our members have experienced a similar issue with Woolies’ self-serve checkouts.

Member @Suzanne rose wrote: ‘We had taken a trolley into Woolworths from Kmart, so it wasn't even grocery items in the trolley, but it picked up that we had a trolley with items in it.’

‘The annoying thing was the lady was helping 2 other people, and then a third went up to ask for something else. I told her this was not fair I had to wait when I was using self-serve to get in and out, and then it picked up Kmart items in my trolley then wouldn't let me proceed,’ she added.

Member @Earth child shared: ‘After scanning and packing all items, the sensor reported two unused homemade bags in my trolley at the point of payment. The screen prompt asked for all items to be rescanned! I was kept waiting while the assistant helped others with issues at their self-serve bays, and wanted to resolve the unnecessary issue. Fortunately, I didn’t have to rescan, but if I was requested to do so, I would have emptied the contents of the bags, left them and walked out. ALDI staff are friendly, Woolies staff (are) dour. No wonder when they have to deal with customer frustration.’

‘I always used the self-checkout, not any more. You can not have your personal handbag in the trolley, as it will tell you that you have something in the trolley and not let you proceed. Where else can you place your personal bag, as you need two hands to use the personal checkout? You are made to feel like a thief,’ member @Sharson stated.

Member @Observer said: ‘I don't have any issues with it. I scan my items until l hit a $30 spend putting them to the side, scan the rewards card for benefits, and then pay. I place the trolley behind me so the camera doesn't see anything but me. Then all is good. Bagged items go back into my trolley with the receipt. Then I start again. When using my card to make the payment, I hold it in the palm of my hand so that my card details will not be recorded.’

‘Another way of having a go at self-checkouts. I couldn't care less if they want to look in my bags and don't care how many cameras are filming me. If people didn't steal so much, nobody would have to worry about it,’ member @freedy50 claimed.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has voiced frustration over a self-serve checkout glitch that falsely accused her of theft.
  • Artificially intelligent (AI) cameras at the checkout flagged that the customer had not scanned a bottle of juice, causing a public misunderstanding.
  • The incident has contributed to an ongoing debate about the increased use of surveillance technologies in everyday life.

If you’re one of the customers who don’t like self-serve checkouts, we have an ongoing petition to stop its full transition in major retailers. You may sign the petition here.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your self-checkout experiences in the comments below!

Supermarkets and other retail stores are being robbed left, right and centre because there are no staff employed to control the sales of goods. Get rid of "self-checkout" and employ the staff on the registers where the patrons file through with their purchases prior to exiting the Stores. The fortunes they will save in lost product will easily pay for the staff to do the job they were employed to do.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi and Observer
This is what happens when so many people think it's their right to steal !!
I don't like self serve like so many seniors, bring back service that we used to get and it would also cut down on stealing !! Affects us all as prices then go up !
Where’s the cashier?

View attachment 29054

Key Takeaways

I tried to sign the petition. Manager to fill in the spaces pressed for l am not a robot, then pushed Sign Here & was taken back to my Full name several times where a red Asterisk was at the far right on that line. Couldn't go further. HELP PLEASE! WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

We know we don't steal but they don't know that, they're just doing their job and with so many people stealing it's not an easy one
Personally I wouldn't take offence
I know I'm not doing anything wrong
I personally love the self checkouts and use them often
I love self serve check outs too. If people don’t like them , don’t use them. Simple.

I will not use self service checkouts as they are doing someone out of a job. It is quicker to go through a serviced check out.
Depends on the quantity of stock you are purchasing. 10 items and you are out quickly.

Reactions: Trudi
It so sad THAT ALL THESE THINGS HAVE FORCED UPON US! I am not sure it is progress. BUSINESSES need to bring back that personal touch. we don't have time today???
BANKS Don't penalise us because we want CASH & Tellers.
I am going to keep using CASH. The internet controls us it goes DOWN NO money/ NO goods either
SERVOS Petrol stations I would be happy & pay for it, if someone would check my water, oil & fill up my fuel tank.
I have a busy life so Click & Collect works, when I do shop, I get frustrated along with the poor staff member trying to control at least 10 self serve checkouts that have HISSY FITS often!

• Haha
I haven't any adverse experience as yet . I don't think My local woollies at Langwarrin is one of the trial sites at least there is no warning signs anywhere.

I find it harder shopping these days as it is as I am 69 and have health issues. My only gripe because of my issues is the self checkouts are frustrating. There's not much time allowed to query something, the thing starts beeping or voice message starts. There's sometimes lack of staff to assist. Lucky the staff at my local woollies though are so friendly and helpful so I don't mind the wait.
The other day I was not feeling great and struggling to stand and scan items and bad day for wrong prices I guess and repeatedly had to get assistance, then the mandarins weighed and calculated I put them in my bag , a message came up I hadn't scanned them. The assistant came over I explained what I had done , and she said it had picked up the bar code on the sticker even though I also selected the type of Mandarin from the list..she apologised and said she would let management know of the glitch within ,30 seconds all fixed and explained. Then she could see I was struggling so finished off scanning a few items I still had for me and even repacked my bag so they fitted in.

Not all staff are lazy she was so helpful. She asked me was I not well I just said I am waiting hip replacement surgery and it's hard standing in one place for lengthy periods and my leg was cramping.

I just felt she was so kind and helpful toward me and for a moment I was thinking our old shopping days had returned...now wouldn't that be 👍

I suppose life is full of ups and downs I think you have to pick your battles don't you, some things are trivial. We have to change with the times it just takes a slow old 69 year old a bit longer but I will get there.

Reactions: Observer
Where’s the cashier?

View attachment 29054

Key Takeaways

Seriously read the first ladies story...she thought she was,treated like a thief .thought being the operative word
Where’s the cashier?

View attachment 29054

Key Takeaways

Seriously read the story again this woman THOUGHT she was treated like a criminal! the operative word being THOUGHT just because an alarm goes off does not automatically make you a criminal unless you feel guilty also she stated she was a 68 year old woman that didn't steal, well having worked in retail for over 15 years the thieves come in all ages shapes, sizes and colours. If you are that thinskinned using a self-serve checkout or feel that guilty about it don't use them, wait for a cashier!

Reactions: Babbie and Trudi
When a buzzer sounds or a light goes on and you are the focus, it ain't good.

Thieves exist, of course they do but non thieving customers should NEVER BE MADE TO FEEL LIKE THIEVES.

Woolworths should improve its AI to distinguish between Woolworths' items and non-Woolworths' items to identify ITS items.

Oh sorry, forgot, discretion is not possible. Onward and upward with the Brave New Big Brother world!
I would suggest the shopper didn’t put the bottle on the ‘scale’ side before placing in trolley, that would mean the register would not continue.

Reactions: Lisa
I would suggest the shopper didn’t put the bottle on the ‘scale’ side before placing in trolley, that would mean the register would not continue.
Also it was her own thoughts NOT a person, maybe knowing or being shown PROPERLY how self serve checkouts work would be better than some who think they know how to use them??

Where’s the cashier?

View attachment 29054

Key Takeaways

When will you people listen to me DONT SHOP AT COLES OR WOOLIES, be like me and not shop at either for over 20 years......

• Haha
I'm not sure but I think I was told that some of the self-serve checkouts add a sir charge. I don't know whether that is true or not. Without me officially asking and before I do, does anyone have any information on this?