SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jarred Santos

Jarred Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2022
Woolies is expanding Scan&Go checkouts to more stores nationwide

Do you hate having to wait in line at the supermarket?

Well, we have some good news for you — Woolworths is expanding its Scan&Go checkouts to even more stores nationwide!

The service is currently available in 66 stores across Australia, but that number is set to grow as new stores open and existing ones are renovated.

Scan&Go checkouts are a quick and easy way to pay for groceries without having to wait in line.

All that’s needed is a smartphone and the Woolworths app, then customers can simply scan the barcodes of the items they’re buying as they shop.

At the end of their trip, they just present a QR code at the dedicated Scan&Go checkout and they’re all done!

Screenshot_2.png
Woolworths is looking to roll out more of its Scan&Go terminals at stores nationwide. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/7News Australia

Stores in Crows Nest and Wentworthville in Sydney have reportedly added the feature recently as an addition to existing manned counters and self-checkouts.

Trials for the feature were first reported in 2018 in Woolworths’ Double Bay, Sydney store.

Many have praised the new feature for its convenience, especially how it can display the running total of items scanned. Perfect for bargain hunters and those on a tight budget!

'Scan&Go is the faster, smarter way to shop for your groceries at Woolworths,' a spokesperson for the supermarket said.

'As Woolworths opens new stores and renews existing stores, Scan&Go will be considered part of the mix.'

Woolworths has rolled out a couple of changes over the past months meant to make shopping a more convenient experience for customers.

In September, select stores in Sydney unveiled vertical herb gardens in partnership with InvertiGro where customers can have their fresh pick of herbs such as basil and parsley.

Artificially Intelligent (AI) scales were also introduced in June, which are capable of providing instant readings of fruits and vegetables by automatically identifying a product and displaying its price, rather than users having to weigh their purchases and select the item in a pop-up menu.

Screenshot_1.png
Woolworths has introduced several innovations made for customers to have an easier time shopping. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/7News Australia

However, not all is well on the front of Woolworths’ store innovations as thefts and fake swiping of grocery items have unfortunately marred their rollout of self-checkouts.

The supermarket earlier said it would install surveillance cameras that can watch customers at self-service counters to address the growing problems.

The development did not go over well with some shoppers who found being watched an invasion of their privacy.

Supermarkets such as Woolworths lose around $9 billion a year to thefts and fake swiping according to the Australian Retailers Association.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths is expanding its self-serve checkout option called Scan&Go at select stores.
  • To use the new checkouts, customers need to download the Woolworths app and scan product barcodes as they shop.
  • Customers can then pay through the app and present a QR code at the checkout upon exiting the store.
A survey in August estimated around 3.8 million Australians have deliberately not scanned their purchases or left a few items out to cheapen their total bill before going out of stores.

If you have time, you may want to check out some Woolies items the store said would be harder to come by in the coming weeks.

So, what do you think of Woolies’ latest move? Would you want to have Scan&Go counters at your nearest store, if you don’t have one already?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/7News Australia

I think Woolworths should go back to having ample check out staff. By trying to replace people with machines, they deserve what is happening with theft. People will always find ways to get around machines but it’s not as easy to get around check out staff.

I would be happier about the new rollout if Woolies were to supply the hand held whatsits to do your shopping with rather than use my phone, or why can't the whatsits be an integral part of the trolly handle. I am not in the habit of putting apps on my phone. I would object strongly if you also have to pay through your phone, I would rather manually use my card as I refuse to put my banking on my phone. Everybody tells you to be super vigilant with your personal details on your phone to help against scammers then want you to use it in all manner of ways that I for one am not totally convinced are bulletproof safe.:unsure:

I think Woolworths should go back to having ample check out staff. By trying to replace people with machines, they deserve what is happening with theft. People will always find ways to get around machines but it’s not as easy to get around check out staff.
I so Totally agree with you. Technology is all well and good but if it put people out of work it is not.

I don't support this at all. Whatever happened to "the human touch"? Furthermore, a lot of people will miss out on their part time employment. Also, I don't have a smart phone and have no intention of spending money on one, so if that is the case for many people in a particular demographic area, we may all end up in very long queues. I question whether the money saved in wages is made up by the huge losses due to shoplifting .

sorry but I'm dead against it,,does Woolworths expect their customers to go do their shopping,,put it through the scanner and then pack it,,I don't think so ,,,,there is no benefit what so ever for the customer but plenty for Woolworths,,,I refuse to use the scanning machine they already have unless I only have a couple of items,,shops are getting to greedy

I agree with others commenting on here! NEVER will I, nor all my neighbours, shop at any store nor providing serviced checkout staff! We are not being paid by Woolies or Cokes to do their work for them!!

Well, we have some good news for you — Woolworths is expanding its Scan&Go checkouts to even more stores nationwide!

The service is currently available in 66 stores across Australia, but that number is set to grow as new stores open and existing ones are renovated.

Scan&Go checkouts are a quick and easy way to pay for groceries without having to wait in line.

All that’s needed is a smartphone and the Woolworths app, then customers can simply scan the barcodes of the items they’re buying as they shop.

At the end of their trip, they just present a QR code at the dedicated Scan&Go checkout and they’re all done!

View attachment 9721
Woolworths is looking to roll out more of its Scan&Go terminals at stores nationwide. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/7News Australia

Stores in Crows Nest and Wentworthville in Sydney have reportedly added the feature recently as an addition to existing manned counters and self-checkouts.

Trials for the feature were first reported in 2018 in Woolworths’ Double Bay, Sydney store.

Many have praised the new feature for its convenience, especially how it can display the running total of items scanned. Perfect for bargain hunters and those on a tight budget!

'Scan&Go is the faster, smarter way to shop for your groceries at Woolworths,' a spokesperson for the supermarket said.

'As Woolworths opens new stores and renews existing stores, Scan&Go will be considered part of the mix.'

Woolworths has rolled out a couple of changes over the past months meant to make shopping a more convenient experience for customers.

In September, select stores in Sydney unveiled vertical herb gardens in partnership with InvertiGro where customers can have their fresh pick of herbs such as basil and parsley.

Artificially Intelligent (AI) scales were also introduced in June, which are capable of providing instant readings of fruits and vegetables by automatically identifying a product and displaying its price, rather than users having to weigh their purchases and select the item in a pop-up menu.

View attachment 9720
Woolworths has introduced several innovations made for customers to have an easier time shopping. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/7News Australia

However, not all is well on the front of Woolworths’ store innovations as thefts and fake swiping of grocery items have unfortunately marred their rollout of self-checkouts.

The supermarket earlier said it would install surveillance cameras that can watch customers at self-service counters to address the growing problems.

The development did not go over well with some shoppers who found being watched an invasion of their privacy.

Supermarkets such as Woolworths lose around $9 billion a year to thefts and fake swiping according to the Australian Retailers Association.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths is expanding its self-serve checkout option called Scan&Go at select stores.
  • To use the new checkouts, customers need to download the Woolworths app and scan product barcodes as they shop.
  • Customers can then pay through the app and present a QR code at the checkout upon exiting the store.
A survey in August estimated around 3.8 million Australians have deliberately not scanned their purchases or left a few items out to cheapen their total bill before going out of stores.

If you have time, you may want to check out some Woolies items the store said would be harder to come by in the coming weeks.

So, what do you think of Woolies’ latest move? Would you want to have Scan&Go counters at your nearest store, if you don’t have one already?

Reactions: PLK
I would be happier about the new rollout if Woolies were to supply the hand held whatsits to do your shopping with rather than use my phone, or why can't the whatsits be an integral part of the trolly handle. I am not in the habit of putting apps on my phone. I would object strongly if you also have to pay through your phone, I would rather manually use my card as I refuse to put my banking on my phone. Everybody tells you to be super vigilant with your personal details on your phone to help against scammers then want you to use it in all manner of ways that I for one am not totally convinced are bulletproof safe.:unsure:
Yes I totally agree. I don't have banking on my phone either for the same reason.

I have NEVER used the self checkout and I never will. Go back to checkout PEOPLE and there will be no theft - or minimal, and then you wont need to spy on everyone... Wake up Woollies or you will lose more and more customers... Maybe a few millenials in the big cities might like it but they are not ALL Aussies..

View attachment 9721

View attachment 9720

Key Takeaways

What happens if you do not have a smart phone and do not want to get one? Bring back good service and create jobs.

Same here