Woolies employees reveal ONE of their pet peeves – customers requesting "no substitutions" in their orders

We are all aware of the problems that come with doing our grocery shopping online, such as products going missing, bags becoming overstuffed, delivery people forgetting to knock on the door, and so on...

However, it is the product substitutions that annoy us the most. (This one mum ordered nappies for her son but received tampons instead.)

Turns out, there might be an entirely different explanation for these ludicrous swaps, according to the statements of some workers at Woolies.

In an unofficial Woolworths workers group, one employee shared that she frequently gives online customers incorrect substitute items, even if they included a note in their orders requesting "no substitutions."

Another supermarket employee agreed with her, saying that it irritates them when customers leave "Do not substitute!" on all of their items rather than simply unticking the "no subs" box.

yye4h1wzYuMfQRNKgooJmv-H2686qPS3pNpLCjl0Uzc8agPBRl6ThFVoJDHw5bA8m906CYR86EOUOze_DS4wzUZYDZ6Wjq_9Td9XPgU84YesbT4I19iTjgY3sU2pSCRXvFbSwByZGp9vb1W8KA

A Woolworths employee said she ignores no-substitute demands if online purchase settings allow them. Credit: Facebook.

"Clearly had time to write a note but all they had to do was untick the box... Guess who will be getting a sub," one user who claimed to be a Woolies employee wrote in the comments.

"If the notes are in caps the customer is yelling at me so no," a second employee agreed and added.

A third chimed in and wrote: "You get what you get, do your own shopping if you don't like it."

Substitution, or "subbing," has been practised in Australia since the early days of online shopping, but due to staffing and distribution issues, supermarkets were forced to implement this policy more frequently during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Woolworths and other supermarkets, such as Coles, have a policy of substituting a suitable alternative of equal or higher value for out-of-stock items ordered online at no extra cost.

On the other hand, Woolworths guarantees on its website that if a customer orders an item that is out of stock and there is no suitable alternative available, the customer will receive a refund for the item and the total price of the transaction will be adjusted accordingly.

What are your thoughts, members? Have you ever had something substituted from your online order from Woolies or Coles? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I tried an online order with Woolworths once - they substituted two small packets of ordinary bacon with two 500 gr packs of low fat anemic looking bacon that tasted disgusting. It all went into the bin. It didn't occur to me to complain. Just didn't go back for more.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Liz
Woolies employees reveal ONE of their pet peeves – customers requesting "no substitutions" in their orders

We are all aware of the problems that come with doing our grocery shopping online, such as products going missing, bags becoming overstuffed, delivery people forgetting to knock on the door, and so on...

However, it is the product substitutions that annoy us the most. (This one mum ordered nappies for her son but received tampons instead.)

Turns out, there might be an entirely different explanation for these ludicrous swaps, according to the statements of some workers at Woolies.

In an unofficial Woolworths workers group, one employee shared that she frequently gives online customers incorrect substitute items, even if they included a note in their orders requesting "no substitutions."

Another supermarket employee agreed with her, saying that it irritates them when customers leave "Do not substitute!" on all of their items rather than simply unticking the "no subs" box.

yye4h1wzYuMfQRNKgooJmv-H2686qPS3pNpLCjl0Uzc8agPBRl6ThFVoJDHw5bA8m906CYR86EOUOze_DS4wzUZYDZ6Wjq_9Td9XPgU84YesbT4I19iTjgY3sU2pSCRXvFbSwByZGp9vb1W8KA

A Woolworths employee said she ignores no-substitute demands if online purchase settings allow them. Credit: Facebook.

"Clearly had time to write a note but all they had to do was untick the box... Guess who will be getting a sub," one user who claimed to be a Woolies employee wrote in the comments.

"If the notes are in caps the customer is yelling at me so no," a second employee agreed and added.

A third chimed in and wrote: "You get what you get, do your own shopping if you don't like it."

Substitution, or "subbing," has been practised in Australia since the early days of online shopping, but due to staffing and distribution issues, supermarkets were forced to implement this policy more frequently during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Woolworths and other supermarkets, such as Coles, have a policy of substituting a suitable alternative of equal or higher value for out-of-stock items ordered online at no extra cost.

On the other hand, Woolworths guarantees on its website that if a customer orders an item that is out of stock and there is no suitable alternative available, the customer will receive a refund for the item and the total price of the transaction will be adjusted accordingly.

What are your thoughts, members? Have you ever had something substituted from your online order from Woolies or Coles? Let us know in the comments below!
It’s simple don’t order on line from Woolworths . Woolworths has never had respect for the customers They clearly don’t don’t deserve the customers business .

• Wow
Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I have done online shopping for years. I tick the box to substitute or if they are out of stuff I just get a refund. No big deal. The only thing I don't like is when I get another customers order with my stuff. I call and the driver won't come back and deliver it to who it should go to. I get told to keep the items and I assume the customer will get a refund. This does not sit well with me.

Reactions: Ricci and Jennylolo
As we have allergies and intolerances, we CANNOT have certain items. That is why put NO substitutions in. It is damaging to our health. It is not just a whim! Without this guarantee, we do not shop there, Too dangerous for us.
this is the reason I don't do online - a lot of things I can't have. I have to regularly check ingredients if my product is not there, when doing it myself, to make sure it doesn't contain anything else I have allergies/intolerances with.
I have a friend who did online a few times, and received meat with due dates that day or day after- if you were there you wouldn't pick these unless you had room to freeze immediately. And her fruit and veg were soft rather than firm.
I can see the convenience of it is fantastic, but I am only a 3 minute drive from 2 supermarkets, and I'm shopping for only one, so I'd rather do it, as I can have it in the same time as it would take do online and drive and wait for it.
It depends why you choose either method and that's ok. What is not ok, when the store has refund, that they get upset if you say no subs.
As for those who check every box, they may possibly have had missed the single no subs box or used to tick it and still kept receiving subs.. Regardless, the packer who took revenge for every box ticked, needs to be removed for an attitude like that. There is no place for that.

Reactions: Ricci
this is the reason I don't do online - a lot of things I can't have. I have to regularly check ingredients if my product is not there, when doing it myself, to make sure it doesn't contain anything else I have allergies/intolerances with.
I have a friend who did online a few times, and received meat with due dates that day or day after- if you were there you wouldn't pick these unless you had room to freeze immediately. And her fruit and veg were soft rather than firm.
I can see the convenience of it is fantastic, but I am only a 3 minute drive from 2 supermarkets, and I'm shopping for only one, so I'd rather do it, as I can have it in the same time as it would take do online and drive and wait for it.
It depends why you choose either method and that's ok. What is not ok, when the store has refund, that they get upset if you say no subs.
As for those who check every box, they may possibly have had missed the single no subs box or used to tick it and still kept receiving subs.. Regardless, the packer who took revenge for every box ticked, needs to be removed for an attitude like that. There is no place for that disrespect.

Substitutions can be frustrating, ending up with a completely unsuitable product or flavours you really dislike. A refund might be offered but is not always convenient.

Another peeve I have, is that both the big supermarkets sell capsicums etc *per item* and not by weight. I've ended up with 1 tiny capsicum at a ridiculous price. Frankly I think per item pricing stinks and a practice that was outlawed some time ago. I feel sorry for customers who are forced to shop online and end up paying more. I believe it's why the supermarkets are actively encouraging online shopping.

I agree with Yubjuk. Sack the employee who said " if you don't like it do your own shopping ". Heaps of customers don't have a choice.
I prefer doing my own when possible, as I can control the quality and suss out bargain buys when close to use buy dates, avoid delivery fees and employees with attitudes like those mentioned in this thread.
if "price per item" was outlawed how come Woolies is still doing it???