Woman's surprising response to life-or-death decision sparks debate online

It’s a situation no parent ever wants to experience.

But a mum-of-four sparked a fierce debate when she shared her opinion on what to do in the case of a life-or-death situation while in labour.

US-based TikTok user Shelbie Martin, who goes by @shelbielenora online, uploaded a short but powerful video on the social media platform.

In the clip, she said: ‘If, during birth, you have to choose to save me or the baby, save me.’

She added: ‘I have babies at home that need me. And my husband agrees.'

child.jpg
Shelbie’s opinion sparked outrage on TikTok. Credit: Taryn Elliott/Pexels

Ms Martin’s controversial video sparked a ton of backlash on TikTok, with commenters saying that they would always put the life of their child first.

‘I couldn’t get in line with that. I’d rather have my baby be born,’ one woman said.

One said that they told their partner to save the baby if something was to happen. ‘She’s my miracle baby, my one and only,’ the mum added.

‘I’d save my kid. I would likely never recover from losing a child,’ another replied.

While someone interjected and said: ‘I’m on my second and I still say save my child. Don’t say you’d take a bullet for them if you can’t put them first in ANY aspect.’

‘I signed a form in labour and 1,000,000% save the baby,’ one more commented.

shelbie.jpg
Shelbie said she’d save herself. Credit: shelbielenora/TikTok

Many people agreed with Ms Martin, and said that they would make the same decision, and said that they ‘couldn’t imagine’ leaving behind their husbands and kids at home.

‘You’re the first person I’ve seen do this that didn’t say “save the baby”…I agree with you completely,’ one woman shared.

‘Society expects you to save the baby, but I have babies and a husband who would be lost without me. As heartbreaking as it would be, I agree,’ another wrote.

One shared: ‘Before I had kids, I’d save the baby. I have 2 kids now, they need me.’

While another said they want to save their baby but they have three babies at home that need them.

‘This happened to my mum. She died 12 years ago, leaving 6 children behind. She was pregnant also and the baby died 8 days after my mum. I wish she listened and she would be here now,’ a woman claimed.

Someone commented that from a medical perspective, the doctors and nurses put the mother ‘as the priority’ in these situations.

Others recalled their own experiences while in labour, and told their heartbreaking and deeply personal stories in the comments section.

‘I had a stillborn. I haemorrhaged after I gave birth. I remember begging the nurse to save my life for my children at home,’ one mum stated.

While another countered: ‘People say this, but losing a baby and then living after it is the hardest ever. Saying it like it’s nothing…I’d rather die than go through that again.’

Ms Martin’s video went viral, amassing over 2 million views in mere days. She told reporters that she was 18 when she lost her own mum. Since posting the video, she said she faced ‘a great deal’ of outrage from people online.

‘I absolutely got backlash. I’ve been told I don’t deserve my children, my children are better off without me, and a few things harsher than that,’ she admitted.

Ms Martin said that although she knew she would get different points of view from people, she claimed that she’ll ‘just never understand the need to be so nasty when you disagree about a topic’.

‘It truly does seem that if you look through the comments, many people agree with me and are glad I spoke up about it, as it made them feel that their feelings about it were valid,’ she told reporters.

You can watch Ms Martin’s video below:

In Australia, the maternal mortality rate in 2020 was 5.5 deaths per 100,000 women giving birth (about 16 maternal deaths). These were divided into two sub-categories: Direct and indirect.

Direct maternal deaths are those that resulted from obstetric complications of pregnancy or its management. Indirect maternal deaths are those that result from diseases or conditions that were not due to a direct cause but were ‘aggravated’ by the physiologic effects of pregnancy.

It was also reported that 1 in 3 mothers said that they experienced the birth of their child as a ‘traumatic’ event.
Key Takeaways
  • A mother-of-four sparked intense debate with a TikTok video on whether she would save herself or her baby if she was having a medical emergency during labour.
  • Divided opinions emerged on social media, with some choosing to put the life of their baby first and others supporting the mother's right to make the decision.
  • After the video went viral, Shelbie Martin said she was 18 when she lost her own mother and stood by her opinion on the matter.
  • Ms Martin said she was glad her post had made other mothers feel less selfish for making the same choice.
What are your thoughts on this topic, members? Please feel free to share your opinions in the comments below, but also be kind and keep it respectful.

Sponsored
It’s a situation no parent ever wants to experience.

But a mum-of-four sparked a fierce debate when she shared her opinion on what to do in the case of a life-or-death situation while in labour.

US-based TikTok user Shelbie Martin, who goes by @shelbielenora online, uploaded a short but powerful video on the social media platform.

In the clip, she said: ‘If, during birth, you have to choose to save me or the baby, save me.’

She added: ‘I have babies at home that need me. And my husband agrees.'

View attachment 13294
Shelbie’s opinion sparked outrage on TikTok. Credit: Taryn Elliott/Pexels

Ms Martin’s controversial video sparked a ton of backlash on TikTok, with commenters saying that they would always put the life of their child first.

‘I couldn’t get in line with that. I’d rather have my baby be born,’ one woman said.

One said that they told their partner to save the baby if something was to happen. ‘She’s my miracle baby, my one and only,’ the mum added.

‘I’d save my kid. I would likely never recover from losing a child,’ another replied.

While someone interjected and said: ‘I’m on my second and I still say save my child. Don’t say you’d take a bullet for them if you can’t put them first in ANY aspect.’

‘I signed a form in labour and 1,000,000% save the baby,’ one more commented.

View attachment 13293
Shelbie said she’d save herself. Credit: shelbielenora/TikTok

Many people agreed with Ms Martin, and said that they would make the same decision, and said that they ‘couldn’t imagine’ leaving behind their husbands and kids at home.

‘You’re the first person I’ve seen do this that didn’t say “save the baby”…I agree with you completely,’ one woman shared.

‘Society expects you to save the baby, but I have babies and a husband who would be lost without me. As heartbreaking as it would be, I agree,’ another wrote.

One shared: ‘Before I had kids, I’d save the baby. I have 2 kids now, they need me.’

While another said they want to save their baby but they have three babies at home that need them.

‘This happened to my mum. She died 12 years ago, leaving 6 children behind. She was pregnant also and the baby died 8 days after my mum. I wish she listened and she would be here now,’ a woman claimed.

Someone commented that from a medical perspective, the doctors and nurses put the mother ‘as the priority’ in these situations.

Others recalled their own experiences while in labour, and told their heartbreaking and deeply personal stories in the comments section.

‘I had a stillborn. I haemorrhaged after I gave birth. I remember begging the nurse to save my life for my children at home,’ one mum stated.

While another countered: ‘People say this, but losing a baby and then living after it is the hardest ever. Saying it like it’s nothing…I’d rather die than go through that again.’

Ms Martin’s video went viral, amassing over 2 million views in mere days. She told reporters that she was 18 when she lost her own mum. Since posting the video, she said she faced ‘a great deal’ of outrage from people online.

‘I absolutely got backlash. I’ve been told I don’t deserve my children, my children are better off without me, and a few things harsher than that,’ she admitted.

Ms Martin said that although she knew she would get different points of view from people, she claimed that she’ll ‘just never understand the need to be so nasty when you disagree about a topic’.

‘It truly does seem that if you look through the comments, many people agree with me and are glad I spoke up about it, as it made them feel that their feelings about it were valid,’ she told reporters.

You can watch Ms Martin’s video below:

In Australia, the maternal mortality rate in 2020 was 5.5 deaths per 100,000 women giving birth (about 16 maternal deaths). These were divided into two sub-categories: Direct and indirect.

Direct maternal deaths are those that resulted from obstetric complications of pregnancy or its management. Indirect maternal deaths are those that result from diseases or conditions that were not due to a direct cause but were ‘aggravated’ by the physiologic effects of pregnancy.

It was also reported that 1 in 3 mothers said that they experienced the birth of their child as a ‘traumatic’ event.
Key Takeaways

• A mother-of-four sparked intense debate with a TikTok video on whether she would save herself or her baby if she was having a medical emergency during labour.
  • Divided opinions emerged on social media, with some choosing to put the life of their baby first and others supporting the mother's right to make the decision.
  • After the video went viral, Shelbie Martin said she was 18 when she lost her own mother and stood by her opinion on the matter.
  • Ms Martin said she was glad her post had made other mothers feel less selfish for making the same choice.
What are your thoughts on this topic, members? Please feel free to share your opinions in the comments below, but also be kind and keep it respectful.

I would agree with that.

You can't say until the situation arose.

I've had this conversation over the years and always say I would say save the baby. Again no one can really say unless in that situation.

For those like this woman who can answer so quickly and are 100 % then that is really cold and selfish

I know if I had to make a choice if some said it was either me or one of my children now I would always save my kids.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
You can't say until the situation arose.

I've had this conversation over the years and always say I would say save the baby. Again no one can really say unless in that situation.

For those like this woman who can answer so quickly and are 100 % then that is really cold and selfish

I know if I had to make a choice if some said it was either me or one of my children now I would always save my kids.
not much of a life without your Mum, Mothers are more important IMO

During my birth my Mum and I almost died. The doctor told my father he couldn't save us both so Dad had to choose: baby or mother. My Dad chose Mum. He said that he knew if he had Mum they could create another baby hopefully but if he had just a baby (that he'd never met before) he didn't know if he could care for it properly and he wasn't confident it would survive or thrive well without a mother. Pretty awful choice to have to make. I don't know how I'd manage it! But thankfully Daddy got us both and he's always been extremely grateful.